• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I alone in missing video rental stores?

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I know that in an era of RedBox and Netflix and OnDemand and streaming that the old brick-and-mortar video rental stores have quickly gone out of fashion. To the point where, I don't know about your area, but it's really hard to find one anymore, and I feel that is a shame.

Sometimes I really just want to watch an older movie like Army of Darkness or Monty Python & The Holy Grail, and I have no idea where to turn. OnDemand is unlikely to just happen to have it available, Netflix has an awful selection of movies (though it is great for TV shows), and Redbox mostly just has new flicks. What's a person to do nowadays that all the Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos are gone to see a movie as instantly as you want?

My wife and I, just two years ago, had a Blockbuster plan where we paid $30/mo and we could perpetually have two movies. We could exchange the two movies a hundred times a day if we wanted to. That was a good deal, and we used the heck out of that. I miss those days.

Vernikova

Champion
Yeah, I don't miss them one bit. Then again, I don't rent videos on-demand or from stores so they never had much of an effect on my life. If I wanted to watch videos that were so old that they couldn't be found on Netflix or whatever, I'd probably just look somewhere to buy it at this point so I wouldn't need to rent it.

Or use the internet to watch them like everyone else does.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Video rental stores were awesome back in the day, you were able to find at least one obscure title in there somewhere, and it was amazing. When the twins and I were kids, my dad would rent movies from Blockbuster all the time, and they were mostly really cheesy B-movies. We also used to rent video games from them as well.

Now in the days of the Internet, you can find pretty much anything if you know where to look. Not even Netflix has everything, but the Web is convenient like that. I feel a little sorry for places like Blockbuster to have gone out of business, but a business has to learn to adapt. They sadly couldn't find a way to adapt, so they're history now. All we have left are the cheesy memories, and I think that's for the best. I mean... sheesh, people obviously didn't give a rat's ass about the movies they were renting. Always hated it when we rented a movie and it wasn't rewound, or there were fingerprints and scratches all over the disk.

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess
We're lucky, the convenience stores in my area have movie and game rentals available, so we don't miss out on it. Blockbuster was great, but frankly, the only reason I used it was to get cheap games out of it, which I did a few times when I was living in the city.

While it's nice to be able to go out and rent movies, I much prefer Netflix and Pay per view (Ondemand isn't available with my tv provider) It's just so much easier.

Charizard Lord

Probably Napping
Ahh, I really do have fond memories of the old Movie and Video Game rental stores. Nothing will ever quite replace that feeling of walking into the store on a Friday afternoon, making my selections for the weekend. The video store is actually responsible for introducing to many of my favorite film and game series at a young age. But, sady, those days have passed, and I think it's for the best. Netflix is where I go for TV shows, and OnDemand lets me see whatever movie I feel like seeing. Still, it sucks that there really isn't a place you can go for a huge library of older titles. But if I'm going to go for the trouble of looking for some obscure, old movie or game, I'd rather just buy it and be done with it. Meh.

Still, there is ONE old Blockbuster left in the area. It's nice to go in there once in a while to reminisce about a bygone era.

Rave

Banned
wait until VHS becomes the next big thing in analog media, that it becomes an art, and eventually we'll have people buying VCRs and VHS tapes to preserve it's analogue quality.

Zazie

So 1991
wait until VHS becomes the next big thing in analog media, that it becomes an art, and eventually we'll have people buying VCRs and VHS tapes to preserve it's analogue quality.

I think that is more likely to happen with film reels, it if hasn't already. Since I am guessing people want to get as old school as possible.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
OP, I think you are. Why, it wasn't that long ago that a compatriot of mine and I rented Army of Darkness (plus the first two Evil Dead movies) from a Blockbuster near his house. And there's one about a mile and a half from where I live, and another less than 10 miles away. Also a Hollywood Video maybe 15 miles in another direction. Of course, I don't even have a card for Blockbuster (and I've never set foot in a Hollywood Video), but the option's there if I want it. Actually, it's kind of surprising to me that you can't find any rental stores at all, even though you're apparently looking.