• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I alone in not liking shiny pokemon?

Ditto B1tch

Most of the shinies are ugly, in my opinion, but I don't mind with that very much. Nature and IV's is much more important in my viewpoint.

Few shiny Pokemons are cool in my eyes (black Charizard, and blue flames Emboar, for example).

Last edited:

ice33333

Starsurfer

Pokemon Idol
I myself don't really go crazy for shinies, nor do I search for them. (Too much time and frustration to be worth it) But I like shiny Pokemon because of their rarity, and I sometimes enjoy the change in color palette. For me, catching a shiny is a pride thing; Having something that not many other people do. Beyond that though, they're no big deal. They're just another fun little addition to the games.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I don't dislike them, but I don't see them as anything special either. I'm not going to go out of my way to catch something that, unless I am specifically catching something for my team, I wont use. I don't trade, I don't cherish my save file like it's the end of the world. When I get bored, I start a new game and balls to whatever I had on my team previously. Shinies, whatever. They come they go. I think more variety rather than just one form would make them more interesting.

~Kingdom of Earth~

Sun shines through
Presonally, if I had to chose a shine or Pokerus, I would take Pokerus because it actually impacts the Pokemon that have it in a good way and not just for looks, so I never look for shinies, I go for Pokerus. (Which I got and still have on a few Pokemon not long after I started Black 2.)

Arlo

...and so on...
Eh. I think they're kind of cool, just because they're unusual and different and the odds of finding them is low, but they're not that big a deal.

And even that nominal value of being unusual has been HEAVILY undermined by hackers and exploiters, who have really cheapened a thing that arguably wasn't all that valuable to begin with. I still value my own shinies, just because they're wholly legitimate and found only by luck. I no longer place any value whatsoever on any shiny anyone else claims to have, since they're likely to be simply exploited or hacked into the game, and if I know for a fact that they are, I feel nothing but contempt.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

Fly it all away!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Obviously, by my sig, I'm a shiny hunter, so I don't know how much my opinion means in this discussion. But this about sums it up:

it's interesting to see that some people take shiny hunting as a sport in the games.

It's not as if there's a problem with not liking shinies. It's the same as not liking competitive battles, and there's nothing wrong with that. Liking shiny hunting is a hobby, and it makes sense that a game is played as a hobby. It's not like we hunt shinies because we want to prove anything to anyone else. It's all for personal enjoyment, and everyone enjoys different things. That's apparent by how everyone values their own shinies, even among shiny hunters. There is no point in shinies other than personal enjoyment, and that's what we play games for, right? And if you don't like them, well, no one will question you for that.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't really care about shinies a whole lot. It's always still a shock to run into one in the wild, and I do try to catch them (and freak out a little bit either way), but that's about it. Otherwise, despite being for funsies, it's barely an afterthought for me.

Estellise

peachy
I honestly couldn't care less about shinies, but I do catch them when I encounter them. I normally just use them for trade bait, though.

*~Silver*~

I don't really care about shinies a whole lot. It's always still a shock to run into one in the wild, and I do try to catch them (and freak out a little bit either way), but that's about it. Otherwise, despite being for funsies, it's barely an afterthought for me.

Same for me. xD They're so fun to find, but pointless at the same time.

ebevan91

They make good trade bait and that's about it.

~Kari~

They're fun to randomly find and some of them look cool, but it's just a color change and most of them look ugly.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
1. It's only cool for me if I randomly stumble upon it. Some look neat, and others are just...no.

2. To each their own.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Depends really, some look better with their alternate colour, some look worse, some look the same. It all depends. I will admit that I do hate it when people battle you and they possess multiple shinies.

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
Depends really, some look better with their alternate colour, some look worse, some look the same. It all depends. I will admit that I do hate it when people battle you and they possess multiple shinies.
This has never actually happened to me, however that is because I don't usually battle competitively.
But I have been in a situation when I am trading with someone on GTS negotiations, and all of the Pokémon are shinies caught in masterballs.
I think that since their stats are no different to a normal Pokémon, and considering their rarity, that they're almost pointless.

spiderbrush

...meh, I can't say I dislike them, but I think they're kind of overrated.
I mean, I do like the colors of some shiny Pokemon more than their regular colors... and if I'd ever find one, I WOULD try to catch one, but I'm not going to go out of my way to actually HUNT them. Doesn't seem like worth the time for me.

...but some shinies, I think, actually DO look worse than the normal ones, such as Dragonite and Krookodile.