• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I crazy, dumb or a weeaboo?

Toaker

I'm not sure if this goes here but i might as well post it here. So, About 8 months ago i made the decision to no longer collect American English version games and insted (Re)buy all my current and future games (Unless they arn't released in Japan) in Japanese and buy JP Consoles if they're region locked. I decided to do this because it just felt right, I wanted to play all the games i have in Japanese to find diffrences and to experiance my games in a new way. I've been wanting to do this for some time now but i was unsure. However i've recieved criticisms from my famliy and friends, My family says im crazy because they think i cant understand them (My Sister wont even play anymore because they say they cant read JP even though all the games we play together require no knowlege of JP)! However, I've been importing for almost ten years and i picked up quite a bit of Japanese. My friends on the other hand, call me a weeaboo because they think im obsessed with Japan andthat im some nerd that hates non Japanese Culture! True i love Japanese Culture but i love my Culture and My Country. Ido sometimes regret doing this because i havent bought a new game in 8 months but i've been having a lot of fun. When i started i was at 137 games now i only need 69 more games to collect (If it wasnt for the Bills and College i would have finished sooner) . So i want your opinions should i keep going or just give up?

Ampy

Light The Stars
No, I just think you're wasting your money... but it's yours, so do what you want with it I guess.

Chris

Old Coot
Where's the All of the Above option? I can understand getting games that aren't released here, but not when they are released here. Especially considering how Japanese games are crazy expensive.

absolalone111

I don't understand why you'd get Japanese games, unless they aren't released in your region. I certainly don't understand why you'd re-buy every game you own, but in Japanese format. I mean I could understand if you bought games that where only going to be released in Japan, dumped the rom yourself and quietly waited for a translation, but then that leads onto another question, can you read/speak Japanese? If you can then I suppose what you're doing is a little more justified, although I still think re-buying everything in Japanese format is mental. If you can't, then if I was you're friend, I'd call you a weeaboo. Unless you plan in living in Japan, then it's a silly idea. I can understand buying a Japanese console, then the game/s to play on it if you're dead into the series, I've considered saving up and buying a NTSC SNES just so I can get earthbound, but that's a story for another day. My point is that what you're doing it excessive, yeah importing a console/consoles to play select games is a reasonable thing to do, but replacing your entire collection? Imo, that's just crazy.

EfrainBarco

I think its an insane idea

Toaker

I don't understand why you'd get Japanese games, unless they aren't released in your region. I certainly don't understand why you'd re-buy every game you own, but in Japanese format. I mean I could understand if you bought games that where only going to be released in Japan, dumped the rom yourself and quietly waited for a translation, but then that leads onto another question, can you read/speak Japanese? If you can then I suppose what you're doing is a little more justified, although I still think re-buying everything in Japanese format is mental. If you can't, then if I was you're friend, I'd call you a weeaboo. Unless you plan in living in Japan, then it's a silly idea. I can understand buying a Japanese console, then the game/s to play on it if you're dead into the series, I've considered saving up and buying a NTSC SNES just so I can get earthbound, but that's a story for another day. My point is that what you're doing it excessive, yeah importing a console/consoles to play select games is a reasonable thing to do, but replacing your entire collection? Imo, that's just crazy.

I have a somewhat understanding of the Japanese language i can read Katakana, Hiragana, and a little Kanji but i wouldnt say im very fluent. As for Living in Japan, I have no intention of living there also i only really care about Games, im not really into Anime or Manga at all

Kanix

Sounds like you might be OCD or something. I'd just get games that are released in Japan only or buy Japanese versions of games brought over to America that have horrible English dubs.

absolalone111

I have a somewhat understanding of the Japanese language i can read Katakana, Hiragana, and a little Kanji but i wouldnt say im very fluent. As for Living in Japan, I have no intention of living there also i only really care about Games, im not really into Anime or Manga at all
So you have no interest in Japanese culture (not limiting this to anime manga, I do mean other stuff to) and don't plan on living there, yet you're doing this? As I said, I understand buying games that aren't released in your region to play them, and maybe the consoles because of region locks, but I'm sorry man, but what you're doing is excessive. If you're using them to teach you Japanese, then fair enough, but buying the hardware unnecessarily (I'm assuming not all the consoles you've bought have region locks) and buying games that where made by companies in your region (e.g. if you lived in the US, but still bought the Japanese version of Assassins creed, or something like that) then it's insane. I can totally relate to wanting to have the original Japanese voice cast in a game, I'm hella glad you can change it in disgaea DS, but buying so many games again is a little crazy. Seeing as you can read some Japanese, you will at least be able to play the games properly, but an entire collection? There's no need.

Toaker

So you have no interest in Japanese culture (not limiting this to anime manga, I do mean other stuff to) and don't plan on living there, yet you're doing this? As I said, I understand buying games that aren't released in your region to play them, and maybe the consoles because of region locks, but I'm sorry man, but what you're doing is excessive. If you're using them to teach you Japanese, then fair enough, but buying the hardware unnecessarily (I'm assuming not all the consoles you've bought have region locks) and buying games that where made by companies in your region (e.g. if you lived in the US, but still bought the Japanese version of Assassins creed, or something like that) then it's insane. I can totally relate to wanting to have the original Japanese voice cast in a game, I'm hella glad you can change it in disgaea DS, but buying so many games again is a little crazy. Seeing as you can read some Japanese, you will at least be able to play the games properly, but an entire collection? There's no need.

I never said i wasn't interested in Japanese culture I am however, Im not into the Pop Culture. I only buy US versions if no Japanese equivalent exsists (eg Killer Instinct) Also i dont intend to get a Famicom Disk System or Disk System games (Zelda 1,2, Castlevania, Metroid, or Kid Icarus) the reason is because the disk system and games are unreliable and very fragil so insted i will buy their NES counterparts. I do intend to buy Japanese Consoles unless there is a way to disable the region lock or if the system has no region locking. It may seem excessive and a waste of money but im enjoying myself and i can still pay for other important things in my life.

Last edited:

absolalone111

I never said i wasn't interested in Japanese culture I am however, Im not into the Pop Culture. I only buy US versions if no Japanese equivalent exsists (eg Killer Instinct) Also i dont intend to get a Famicom Disk System or Disk System games (Zelda 1,2, Castlevania, Metroid, or Kid Icarus) the reason is because the disk system and games are unreliable and very fragil so insted i will buy their NES counterparts. I do intend to buy Japanese Consoles unless there is a way to disable the region lock or if the system has no region locking. It may seem excessive and a waste of money but im enjoying myself and i can still pay for other important things in my life.
I only said that you didn't care about Japanese culture as you said that you only cared about games. With most consoles, I'm sure there is a way to disable region locks wheather it's a modchip, firmware update or hack, or even just a case of cutting the cart slot so that different shaped carts can fit in. I have a question regarding buying games if their's no Japanese counterpart, if a game is American or whatever, would you still buy the Japanese version, over the American version? If so then you are being pretty stupid. I understand buying Japanese games in Japanese, but not ones that are native to your language. That last bit, you almost sound like an addict, justifying it, even though you understand that other people think it's a bad idea. That "I can still pay for..." attitude is an addicts reasoning, doesn't matter about me buying heroine, I can still afford the rent, and to feed myself. I know that was a little off topic, and I'm in no way calling you an addict to anything.

Toaker

I only said that you didn't care about Japanese culture as you said that you only cared about games. With most consoles, I'm sure there is a way to disable region locks wheather it's a modchip, firmware update or hack, or even just a case of cutting the cart slot so that different shaped carts can fit in. I have a question regarding buying games if their's no Japanese counterpart, if a game is American or whatever, would you still buy the Japanese version, over the American version? If so then you are being pretty stupid. I understand buying Japanese games in Japanese, but not ones that are native to your language. That last bit, you almost sound like an addict, justifying it, even though you understand that other people think it's a bad idea. That "I can still pay for..." attitude is an addicts reasoning, doesn't matter about me buying heroine, I can still afford the rent, and to feed myself. I know that was a little off topic, and I'm in no way calling you an addict to anything.

Maybe i am being stupid but its my money and i am happy with my decision.

absolalone111

Maybe i am being stupid but its my money and i am happy with my decision.
Well fine, whatever, but I can't help thinking that there was very little point in making this thread. You aren't listening to what other people are saying, and you're just looking for ways to justify what you're doing.