• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I crazy for thinking this is the best looking Pokemon game ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johtoo

Sure SW/SH might have had better graphics with 3d and all that

But LGPE has so much more charm and the art style is so much closer to the old games and the anime as far as cities/environment and characters goes

For all its customization SW/SH makes me feel like I'm playing a random NPC due to the lack of distincts features available to make your character stand out (this is especially true for male characters I believe, female characters get much better outfits/customization options imo)

I for one would have loved BDSP to use the same graphic style as LGPE as it is my favorite in the whole series so far and the most charming in my eyes

Orphalesion

Yes, you are crazy.

Happy now?

In all seriousness. I don't like how the maps are just 1:1 tranlations of the ugly, blocky maps from the original games. They were far too faitful to the original map-layout and that, in some cases caused them to forget the original intent (which should have been followed instead)
Like the bicycle bridge appears in all maps and auxiliary media of Gen 1 as an actual bridge. But because they couldn't render that well in R/B/Y it looked like two bicycle roads next to a channel in Let's Go (never mind how the ships to and from Vermillion harbour are supposed to get past that)

LacrimosaOfDana

It definitely has a very nice colour palette and has superior out of battle graphics to BDSP. The fact you can ride some Pokémon was a nice touch as well.

While I'm not a fan of "the grid" I feel the overall world design of LGPE is better than SWSH. I'd rather have detailed small areas than barren wastelands with minimal details.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think the graphics are quite nice, but that's basically all the praise I can muster for these games. Everything else is lacking from my perspective.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
No. It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. You're not "crazy" for thinking it's the best looking Pokemon game ever made. Everyone's taste in graphics are different, and you're not exception.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yes. LGPE is held back by the design limitations of the GB original having things like blocky level design, flat areas that show very little elevation (the only form of elevation they have is basically ledges), short routes that you can blow through in 5 seconds (see: Rt. 7, Rt. 16, Rt. 18), and a lack of environmental diversity (you mostly just have grassy fields, cities, caves, and water routes, that's it). It feels like a giant LEGO set designed by a 5 year old. Compare that to a game like SwSH or LA which has tons of large, open, realistic environments, with visible changes in elevation that make mountains and valleys have appropriate height/depth, appropriately sized and scaled areas, and a large variety of environments, and it's just no contest. You can really tell that the former was designed on the GB and the latter were designed on the Switch, the design capabilities and philosophies are just night and day different between the two and the former really shows its age.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
It does have nice graphics. But the removal of wild battles, motion based catching (Which doesn't support pro controllers since i own a switch lite and i dont want to shake it and risk dropping it.
Then there's the chibi style and tons of other things that also hold it back from ever buying it, unless a local store puts it on sale.
But i'd love to borrow it with and and the pokeball controller to get the mew.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I totally agree with you! I think LGPE is the best looking Pokemon game. It's the only Pokemon game where I feel like I'm actually really in the Pokemon World. It feels really immersive. It also feels more like the anime, bonus points for that.

LGPE is also a lot of fun to play, with some new cool and refreshing mechanics. I just wish the game had a Battle Tower in the post game, it's something that would have made LGPE perfect in my eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.