1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only one that gets mad that...

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by NevermeltIce, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NevermeltIce

NevermeltIce Member

Certain Pokemon like... Houndour and Murkrow and Larvitar are not available until AFTER the elite 4?

I don't know anyone else that has the GSC games and their gameboy colour, so I could never do a play through of GSC where I can use Houndour at least in the first 8 gyms.

He's my favorite fire type.

2. John Wallrein

John Wallrein I am the walrein

Yes, this makes me made. Back in GSC I was in love with Dark types and the fact that you couldn't get them until late game made me so angry.

3. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Yeah, I feel a little ripped off that you can't capture Larvitar to get a pseudo-Legendary until way after the main story, meanwhile in the original games you can capture a Dratini before or after getting the Soul Badge and train it carefully to get a Dragonite, the first pseudo-Legendary, before you battle the Elite Four. But I think they did that on purpose because of how powerful Tyranitar is, and they must've learned their lesson or something. Though I don't know of anyone who used a Dragonite in the Elite Four in R/B/Y.

At least you could get Umbreon as early as before you fight Morty.

4. NevermeltIce

NevermeltIce Member

Forget the pseudo-legendary larvitar, I just wanted to kick Morty's arse with hondour! :mad:

I am currently playing a sharked run on the emulator where I get houndour early, seems a lot more fun this time around.

5. AuroriumX

AuroriumX The Interceptor

Yes, the only Fire types I cared about in the 2nd gen were Houndour and Typhlosion. It's stupid that you can't get a Pokemon like Houndour earlier in the game because there weren't many good Fire or Dark types in the beginning of the game (I'm not counting Cyndaquil here). Getting Houndour would have made things a lot better against Morty.

6. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I remember wondering where I could catch Pokemon like Murkrow and Houndour. I was so hyped about them when I first began playing Silver version, and then I was disappointed when I realized that they couldn't be caught until later. I literally searched every route in Johto for them before I found out that they're native to Kanto for whatever reason in G/S.

7. Nesquik3D

Nesquik3D <-- Want a DWF

No, I would have really liked being able to capture a Houndour before Morty. It would have made him a piece of cake. Or pie.

8. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

I never really thought about this when I played the games as I only used the Pokemon that were available before the E4. And if I had wanted to use those that were available only after beating the E4, I could always trade to get them to the right game.

9. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

I hated this. These JOHTO Pokemon that can't be caught until after the Elite 4.

But I think it happened in Gen4 too, with the evolutions. Those weren't WHOLE FAMILY MEMERS though.

10. Unoin

Unoin Well-Known Member

Yeah it's annoying not being able to pick from all of the Johto Pokemon for the Johto E4. It would have been better to swap them with some Kanto Pokemon to improve Kanto and make it more nostalgic

11. Shymain

Shymain Shaymin Lover

Definitely with you on this. I wish you could get some dark types earlier. I mean, they're always epicly cool!

Of course, what doesn't makes sense is having Johto Pokemon in Kanto. I mean, if they're native to Johto...

12. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

This always seemed illogical to me as well. I mean, the new Pokemon are pretty much the biggest selling point for new games, so deciding to stick so many new evolution families after the main game just doesn't make sense. Especially when it came to Dark-types - five out of the six introduced in Gen 2 couldn't be obtained until beating the Elite Four! What were they thinking?

13. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Agreed. It makes no sense that Johto Pokemon can't even be found in Johto. Also, from a design standpoint, it makes team building difficult because you have too few options for Dark and Ghost types until then (you have like what, Gengar and Umbreon, and maybe Sneasel or Misdreavus depending on what version you play, and that's it). They should've changed the distribution around a bit in this game, move all 2nd gen Pokemon and Pokemon that have 2nd gen evos/prevos (that includes Pikachu, Electabuzz, Chansey, etc.) to Johto and move some of the 1st gen Pokemon you could go without (Tangela and Farfetch'd, for example) to Kanto. That'd be more fair, I think.

It happened with many of the new evolutions in DP in 4th gen (but they were included into the Platinum Sinnoh Dex), and in BW2 as well, where about 20some Pokemon in the Unova Dex were not actually catchable until the National Dex was obtained (some 5th gen Pokemon made this list such as Tympole, Stunfisk, Munna, Cryogonal, Durant, and Heatmor, but many of them were past gen Pokemon such as Larvitar, Slakoth, Yanma, Croagunk, Jigglypuff, Lickitung, Tropius, and Carnivine).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  14. Ris_Grestar

Ris_Grestar Active Member

I happen to really like most dog-like Pokemon, so yes, it was always disappointing that I couldn't have a Houndour/doom on my main team.

You're not alone.

15. Bolt the Cat

Here's some things I think they should've done differently with the distribution:

-Move Houndour to Rt. 35
    -Move Murkrow to Rt. 42
    -Move Chansey to Rt. 34
    -Move Clefairy to Ruins of Alph
    -Move Misdreavus and Larvitar to Mt. Mortar 3F (Cliff Cave is fine in HGSS)
    -Move Slugma to Burned Tower
    -Keep Sneasel in Ice Path like it was in Crystal (why did they put him back in Rt. 28/Mt. Silver in HGSS?)
    -Put Pikachu and Electabuzz on Rt. 39
    -Move Farfecth'd and Drowzee to Rt. 11
    -Move Staryu and Shellder to Rt. 19-21
    -Move Seel to Seafoam Island
    -Move Tangela to Rt. 25
    -Move Paras to Rt. 2, Viridian Forest, and Mt. Moon
    -Move Venonat to Rt. 24, 25, 2, and Viridian Forest
    -Move Koffing to Rt. 17

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  16. ToeyJoey

ToeyJoey Forward...

Not that I agree with this at all, I was perfectly happy to go "dayum" when I saw a Slugma on Cycling Road but:

Making Farfetch'd available in wild Kanto? Hmm... I see a point missed.

17. Bolt the Cat

And that is?

It's a rare Kanto native, why not put it in Kanto?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.