• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I the only one that thought "Aim to be a Master" was going to have some hint of a narrative?

GGuitarGuy95

Based on the description of the series, I thought they would build some sort of narrative around what it means to be a Pokemon Master. Instead, we are getting episodes that we should've got during Journeys.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
In April 1997, Satoshi and Pikachu set off from Masara Town into the world of "Pocket Monsters". And as Satoshi has been meeting and battling lots of companions, he's always aimed for one thing: To become the "Pokémon Master" of his dreams.

"Pocket Monsters: Mezase Pokémon Master", which premieres January 13th 2023, will depict Satoshi and Pikachu's adventure towards that distant dream across a planned total of 11 episodes.

In addition to his former travelmates Kasumi and Takeshi, these episodes will also feature the Pokémon Satoshi formed strong bonds with and got in various regions, bringing even more excitement to this already thrilling and emotional adventure.

^The summary, trailer and poster all screamed that it was essentially Journeys 2.0, so you can't really say it was false advertising.

I did expect Gary to ask the question in the beginning ---> Ash having no response ---> Ash goes on this adventure/one last ride with Brock and Misty -----> Gary appears in the final episode and asks Ash if he found his answer. Sort of a spiritual meditation on the idea for the audience leading to an (obviously corny) meaning for what it means to be a Pokemon Master.

Pokeshipper_

Pokémon Aim To Be A Master has literally a narrative, thinking otherwise means being blind:

This episode clearly cementified, like the whole serie is doing, what a Pokémon Master is: a Pokémon Master is not only the best battler in the world and a Champion, but also a trainer capable to listen the heart of the Pokémons, making strong friendships during the journey with humans and Pokémons, helping people with their Pokémons when they're living an hard life or they have problems with something. Also Misty and Brock pointed it out during the episode because they know Ash is/will be a Pokémon Master and Latias is observing Ash for the same reason.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I'd desperately hoped that we would get something like a grand narrative, but I've long since realized that having any serious expectations from this show is a great way to set yourself up for major disappointment. Plus, 11 episodes really wasn't enough to do a great arc that wraps up a story this long.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I did expect Gary to ask the question in the beginning ---> Ash having no response ---> Ash goes on this adventure/one last ride with Brock and Misty -----> Gary appears in the final episode and asks Ash if he found his answer. Sort of a spiritual meditation on the idea for the audience leading to an (obviously corny) meaning for what it means to be a Pokemon Master
Yeah like, I wasn't expecting a lot of bombastic action or something since while it was hit or miss (mostly miss), the PWC was clearly meant to be the action climax. Still though, what I was expecting was for a more introspective series for Ash, wondering what he'll do now that he's come this far. Instead we get....this....

Ryker101

Haven’t kept up with the latest eps yet. But yeah it’s pretty small stakes so far. Feels like they were supposed to be journeys eps. There’s still not a lot you can do in 11 20 min episodes anyway

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Even IF "A Pokemon Master is someone that befriends alot of Pokemon", hasn't he already qualified for that like by the end of DP or even sooner? A Pokemon is someone who befriends Pokemon and gets badges or is a Champion? Isn't that like every player in the games? I expected something more grand or at least that Ash realized he is a bit closer to be a Pokemon Master each episode, yet we didn't had that.

AJ97

Based on the description of the series, I thought they would build some sort of narrative around what it means to be a Pokemon Master. Instead, we are getting episodes that we should've got during Journeys.
Fully agree. Considering it is essentially Ash's final series and how big of a character he is in the franchise, it would've been natural to expect a plot-focused finale of 11 episodes wrapping up his story.

However, from the looks of it, the writers seem to think they have already done this through Journeys and the PWC.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm in the camp who believes that MPM was just the last leg of Journeys, but marketing wanted to capitalize on Ash's final journey, so they decided to spin it off into its own thing.

MPM made me understand how absolutely necessary it was for Misty and Brock to leave this anime, they have evolved like Milk, it makes you appreciate more things like Contests or showcases and new male characters like Kiawe with fresh stories.

I DID NOT remember how absolutely annoying was to see Brock or Misty's gag with nothing to contribute and see them stay behind the scenes like in all of Johto. Now I understand why people say that MPM is Johto 2.0!!

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I had anticipated for a long while now, ever since that whole "54 episodes" debate/accidental reveal (you all know what I'm talking about, right?) began that a DA 2.0-esque something-or-other was on its way.