• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I the only one who thinks it only gets worse from here? =/

TheNewGuy

I've been following DP fairly closely for about two years after a massive gap from having any interest in the anime.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just naturally pessimistic but the sight of Paul, one of the anime's most interesting characters and best opponents, walking off into the sunset after (arguably) the best battle in the history of the show...just seems like the peak to me. Next week we will see Ash get swept by Darkrai in a rushed, 1-episode battle. After that, Best Wishes will begin. No doubt Ash will leave behind his cool Sinnoh team and leave for Isshu with only a newly underpowered Pikachu.

He will catch new Pokemon. Don't get me wrong; I actually like the Isshu starters. But after seeing battles involving such high-powered moves and abilities as well as seeing Ash's general battle savvy, it'll be a major comedown seeing him use attacks like Ember, or seeing him getting into Scratch and Tackle-fests rather than high-level battling.

I know that's kind of the idea, that slow buildup. And I know that ultimately makes it better, and gives you more of a payoff, when you get to the latter stages and he's at the league - it wouldn't be as good if he was capturing these Pokemon fully formed. I know that.

But at the same time, I don't see how this new rival can top Paul. Paul was the first rival in the series to be done very well from a writing standpoint, making him the "original". Everything after this will thus be a "sequel", no matter how they try to differentiate him (with photography? ...I don't like it. Seems gimmicky, not serious like Paul). How often does a sequel, a copy, live up to the quality of the original? Hardly ever.

The writers now face a real test in delivering a story anywhere near as well-thought-out as DP's. I just hope they don't see the success of Paul and try to replicate him too closely because otherwise, it will fall flat, the new rival will be a cheap copy rather than an original character who can stand on his own.

I like that they're freshening it up by getting rid of Brock, though. I guess we'll see, but I do think this is a very important saga for the anime. The Paul/Ash/Infernape story was one of the best plotlines they have come up with - they will need to match or exceed it and I have my doubts that they can pull it off.

BlueDragonfangirl

Well you never know, some people never thought there'd be a better rival than Gary than long behold Paul comes knocking at our doors. I don't see how it could get worse? I mean, replacing Brock is some thing the show should have done along time ago, a brand new group will be fun to watch. If you ask me, things will only start to get better, don't get me wrong I like Paul and will miss him but you just gotta wait and see if this new rival will be better or worse.

White Wizard

Hundred acre Woods
well for one thing i think replacing brock was a huge mistake

BlueMage

I don't get why replacing a character who obviously overstayed his welcome is a huge mistake. They're taking a risk with some Brock fans, sure, but I'd much rather that than drag Brock along for another ride he has no part in.

That said, I don't think so. I think Best Wishes is going to be great and it'll only get better from here on.

BlueVapor

Really? He's been around for the whole show (except OI), isn't that enough. He doesn't do much anyway. But, I guess I can understand, if he's your favorite character?

But, I wouldn't say just yet that it's going to be worse. We have to wait for it to actually start. I personally think that possibly keeping only Ash, Pikachu and TR is a smart choice. Now it'll feel like a real fresh start.

As for the Shooti guy, I don't get good vibes from him. I feel like the writers will try to replicate Paul in him, but it just won't work :/ I'm honestly just watching for Iris and Dento at this point.

Torpoleon

Why? Let's compare Brock & Dento.

Brock:
- He is the first gym leader of the region in which he joined the main cast, Kanto.
- Brock has an extensive knowledge of Pokémon.
- Brock likes the girls.
- Brock is great at cooking.

Dento:
- Same as Brock, except it is Isshu and not Kanto.
- Same as Brock.
- Unlike Brock, I think Dento is actually successful.
- It's unknown. Dento is a waiter, but waiter=/=cook.

Dento does have some similarities to Brock, with what we know. It isn't that much of a mistake. The writers probably wanted to give us a breath of fresh air. Most people were tired of Brock anyways.

TheNewGuy

Well you never know, some people never thought there'd be a better rival than Gary than long behold Paul comes knocking at our doors. I don't see how it could get worse?

That may be so, but I just don't see them topping Paul. Especially with this photography gimmick "Shooti" supposedly has.

It can get worse because it'll be a couple of years before we see quality like we have recently. His Pokemon are going to be crappy compared to, say, Infernape for a long time and there's no guarantee that, when it does get better, it will match the quality that DP has delivered.

Torpoleon

We don't know that it will get worse. I don't think that the anime will get worse.

On the subject of Shooti, we don't know too much about him. They might top Paul's Story. We'll just have to wait and see.

Dragon Master Fiona

Dragon Master
Even though I am getting tired of Ash, I'm glad they are retiring Dawn. Anyway, I have a feeling Brock will be staying. (I had a strange dream a few nights ago dealing with the new girl of the anime, him trying to set an example of what a triple battle was, and he was battling Ash). But anyway from my crazy subconsious, I'm really hoping the fifth gen anime will be better then the 4th gen. Then again, I'm growing out of the show but still loving the games.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I understand that you like Brock but leaving will be good for his character. When May left while I thought it was a shame I never considered it a mistake. Likewise it'll be sad to see Brock leave (again) but it will ensure he doesn't get lost in the background like he often was in Diamond and Pearl.

BlueDragonfangirl

People always say that at the end of each series. Always.

There's too many clues this time..

1. Brock is getting his own episode after how many years? Its dealing with him changing his goal which is just random. And its the second to last episode??

2. In the new ending theme, it shows Ash facing a city while Brock is looking else where.

Bubblewrap

I agree that replacing Brock was a bad idea - he's been in since the start, and to get rid of a character that has been around for so long.. this series could be nearing the conclusion (I'm not saying it'll be the last, but it may be sooner than we think!), and the fact that he may not be in it? I don't think it seems right he's not there and we are replacing him by someone who is pretty much identical to him. The fact that they are trying to get rid of each character but helping them accomplish their 'dream' is all good-and-dandy, but him changing his dream as a way of writing him off? I don't think it's a right move.

I am looking forward to the new series but I will always hold the older ones to my heart. Perhaps the absence of my favourite character is giving me biased opinions as I am slightly aggravated, but I don't think it's necessarily going to downhill (apart from the fact I think it'll be hard to top Paul).

BlueMage

I agree that replacing Brock was a bad idea - he's been in since the start, and to get rid of a character that has been around for so long.. this series could be nearing the conclusion (I'm not saying it'll be the last, but it may be sooner than we think!), and the fact that he may not be in it? I don't think it seems right he's not there and we are replacing him by someone who is pretty much identical to him. The fact that they are trying to get rid of each character but helping them accomplish their 'dream' is all good-and-dandy, but him changing his dream as a way of writing him off? I don't think it's a right move.

I am looking forward to the new series but I will always hold the older ones to my heart. Perhaps the absence of my favourite character is giving me biased opinions as I am slightly aggravated, but I don't think it's necessarily going to downhill (apart from the fact I think it'll be hard to top Paul).

Brock departing from the main cast is the best thing that could've ever happened to him. You know, not that he's not saddled with Ash, he actually has time to further his own goals and ambitions. Brock did absolutely nothing in DP, so as a Brock fan I think you should feel happy that he's no longer getting tacked on another excursion with Ash where he isn't going to do anything important.

And as for Dento, there is absolutely zero evidence that he'll be a Brock clone other than him being a Gym Leader who retires to travel with Ash. Personality-wise he appears to be polar opposites with Brock.

I loved both May and Dawn, but I didn't bat an eye when I found out they would be departing because it was actually good for their character. It shows that they've become independent and are ready to go out on their own and pursue their ambitions, which I think is a lot better than being forced on another journey with Ash.

masukippa

A very negative thread. Is it really that much of a negative? Would you really want epic battles every week? It would get monotonous and boring. I for one enjoy the progression of a weak team into a strong one. Look at the development of the strength of Pokemon like Starly, Chimchar and Gligar to eventually become very powerful. We have that to look forward to.

Bubblewrap

Brock departing from the main cast is the best thing that could've ever happened to him. You know, not that he's not saddled with Ash, he actually has time to further his own goals and ambitions. Brock did absolutely nothing in DP, so as a Brock fan I think you should feel happy that he's no longer getting tacked on another excursion with Ash where he isn't going to do anything important.

And as for Dento, there is absolutely zero evidence that he'll be a Brock clone other than him being a Gym Leader who retires to travel with Ash. Personality-wise he appears to be polar opposites with Brock.

I loved both May and Dawn, but I didn't bat an eye when I found out they would be departing because it was actually good for their character. It shows that they've become independent and are ready to go out on their own and pursue their ambitions, which I think is a lot better than being forced on another journey with Ash.

Well, I enjoyed his character mostly in DP, so I wouldn't really mind if he did the same thing. He still had some role of the series, by the way. He was tied into the antagonist plot, like he has never been before, and he also guided both Ash and Dawn. I don't know if it's just me noticing this, but he does do more than what people give him credit for.

Dento may not be an exact clone, but if in anyway he is a good cook, or flirts with the ladies, then I can only call that being a clone - as I'm sure the writers can come up with something different than what they had before.

It doesn't matter if I like his character or what is 'best' for him. These aren't real characters, and to be honest I'd like to still be able to watch the anime with him in it, and see what new pokemon he gets (as the recent ones have always had awesome personalities). Sure he may have a back seat role, but I still enjoy him in it.

Silver_Seoul

Actually, no Scratch/Tackle fests this time around. The fact that Dento is the first Gym Leader and is already ordering a Solarbeam tells us something. Plus, considering Mijumaru's tiny shell can deflect said Solarbeam, I'd think he knows Shell Blade. Same with Pokabu and Tsutaja, as in the previews they were already using Nitro Charge and Grass Mixer.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Would you really want epic battles every week? It would get monotonous and boring. I for one enjoy the progression of a weak team into a strong one. Look at the development of the strength of Pokemon like Starly, Chimchar and Gligar to eventually become very powerful. We have that to look forward to.

Gliscor went away for holiday before becoming good :D

Yes, of course progression is good, its the reason why many of us love the initial series, because of Charmander growing, and then Butterfree, but its a comedown.

I just agree with NewGuy because this honestly should have been a league-winning saga for Ash, but here he is, being beaten by a league rival who hasnt spoken, and he wants to drop the team off, instead of the writers having him learn his lesson and.......................man, I hate to admit, but the show is beginning to waste my time. I used to watch the show because the games put me onto it, its beginning to spin so that Im watching the show now just to influence my game-team. :(