• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Am I the only one who thinks it only gets worse from here? =/

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't neccesarily think the anime gets worse from here on out, I just think it won't be as good as the previous sagas. Too many changes in my opinion, which makes me hesitant to watch Best Wishes. However, I'm hoping they'll add something new to the anime that'll peak everyone's interests for a while. The new characters seem ok, and the Pokemon look great, but that's not enough to lure me into the BW craze.

blob

The only thing I'm not sure about is replacing Brock.
I'm cool with Iris (probably 'cause I don't like Dawn >.<).

You hate Dawn too? :O

Anyway, if it was just Ash and Iris, I'd probably watch BW, but since Dento's there... I guess from DP 190 onwards, I'll stop watching the Animé.

Fun Fact: The last time I stopped watching the Animé was during OI.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
I think replacing Ash is the worst mistake the writters did. Theres goes the majority of the fanbase who watch it because of Ash.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Anyway, if it was just Ash and Iris, I'd probably watch BW, but since Dento's there... I guess from DP 190 onwards, I'll stop watching the Animé.
At least give Dento a chance. I'm sick of this "I hate the new guy/girl who I've only seen in promo art and short trailers" mindset. It was annoying when May was introduced, it was annoying when Dawn was introduced and it's annoying now.

I guess it is about time Brock took a break. He has his own dreams doesn't he? He can't babysit Ash all the time. I'll miss him and I'm pretty sure I won't like Dento(not asking for people to start telling me "You can't say that yet". Yes I can. It's my opinon) but there's a main problem I think someone briefly mentioned. Brock is a cook. Dento serves wine? How are they going to eat? I highly doubt Iris is going to run around looking for berries everyday and Dento will be serving them wine. That's...a little strange.

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
I think this is one of the moments when the series run into a Catch 22. At the same time as Ash wlil be fresh from the Sinnoh Tournament Top 4 they can´t give him an easy way right to the Issuh League. But on the same time they must do things that makes it clear that Ash isn´t a newbe. So how do it? The first steps were seen in AG when Max actually knew of Ash Johto Tournament and it was stated many times that Ash wasn´t a newbe and that the same went for his Pokémon. He clearly stated that "yes, he could have brought his Johto team with him, but didn´t want to". So early AG didn´t faced those problems in the same way we do now. One reason is that Ash of today is just not a veteran but a highly skilled Pokémon Trainer.

The transition from Johto Ash to AG Ash could be made with ease and almost the same went for Sinnoh. Ash could clearly state that Sinnoh was not just new territory but also that he wanted to see what he could accomplish in this new region. He was motivated not only by his own interest but Gary´s Electriwire showed Ash that the world was larger and that much more was to be found outside his familiar regions. Keep in mind that he then came fresh from Kanto, his very own home region.

Now he has proven that he can take on an entirely new region, and at the first try reach top 4, making the semi- finals with Pokémon from said new region. So what can he possibly do to top that, just say that he can do it all over again? I don´t think so, I don´t think he is suited to try to be a newcomer to a region, catch a bunch of "low level" Pokémon and say, well lets level these suckers up and go to the tournament. Then yes, this series will not get a good start. Because we know that Ash can do that.

What the writers must do, is to show that he trains his new Pokémon with the knowlage of a trainer that has gone through a couple of regions. He should try to not just learn them to use attack x or y, but he must continue with the training style he himself stands for. It would be a waste of time if he trained a Pokémon to use let´s say Quick Attack for the sake of learning the said Pokemon an attack, the training must be about what makes this attack important.

So the real challange - how to make the Issuh series a good replacement for Sinnoh´s final part - is how to dodge the obvious "new trainer" things. Instead they must focus on what kind of trainer Ash is and what he can credibly do.

I also realise that much of the new series have to uphold the standards of recurring characters so that we can get a background- story that works well. Paul is rightly the testament to the series potential, they can do interesting recurring characters and arc´s around them. Now they must bring this to the next level. In replacing Brock Dento and Iris they must also see to it that the transition in the group dynamic continues to feel real. In AG they did this much when it came to Ash and May, Ash and Max and Brock and May, and having Brock be the shadowing elder of the group. In DP Ash and Dawn interacted exempleary BUT Brock took to much of the backseat, not doing that much. The hardest new thing is to make all three (possibly four?) characters in the group have something important to do, even if Ash are the main character. Then we would see a group that interaced with ease and not have one of the characters just as tag- along characters.

So yes, the new series sure faces many challangers and one can´t help feeling a bit worried over the start but hopefully the writers nowadays know what to do right. There can be no complete reset and reboot of early Hoenn or Sinnoh sagas but they must indtroduce and give us a story that feels real and true to the anime universe as it is today.

Last edited:

blob

All I can tell is that Takeshi will soon die like Misty, Max and May. When was the last time we saw Misty? For all I know she could of been eaten by her Gyarados.

Swine Trio

Bacon Lover
All I can tell is that Takeshi will soon die like Misty, Max and May. When was the last time we saw Misty? For all I know she could of been eaten by her Gyarados.

We do have a chance of seeing her at the tail end of 191. Not a fanboy plea, I honestly don;t care if she shows up or not, but it is still possible. And Brock can get a cameo in Isshu, a filler saga, or in Pallet/when Ash returns.

May and Max were seen in Sinnoh, she got a whole arc, and Max had a few still screens/small cameos.

TrainerOfLegend

It's been 100's of Episodes since Misty, May or Max have last appeared.

Misty: About 250 or so.
May: Last appearance was in DP79. By September 9, that would be 104 episodes.
Max was mentioned like 2 episodes before May left, so same time.

So yeah, about 3 year's worth of episodes for May and Max. For Misty 5.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
We know that there the grand total of Diamond and Pearl episodes is 190. May's last appearence was in the 79th DP episode meaning it's been 111 episodes since her first appearence. A little over one hundred isn't hundreds of episodes. In fact the last time May, Misty and Max appeared was in the opening "High Touch" which last aired in episode 133 which makes 77 episodes since all three appeared which isn't even 100 episodes.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!

So? Ash is the main character and to a lesser extent Team Rocket.

Everyone else was along for the ride. You should be greatful Brock lasted as long as he did, because they could have very well done away with him at the end of Johto like with Misty.

Instead you're acting spoiled that your favorite character is in like 650 episodes. You get no sympathy from me, what characters get 650+ episode runs?

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
Why must eveything melt down to petty character- debates. Are people really that incapable of bringing an well- thought view of a subject that they have to resort to one- line character- debates in one thread after another. If you are gonna say something, at least do that with an ounce of intelligens.