• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

amiibo Thread

Miyamoto's meal with a Fox amiibo apparently hints at a Star Fox announcement soon.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
well, I mean

we know there's a game that Nintendo wants to push out next year (probably closer to spring than fall), and we haven't even seen a trailer for it yet, soooooo

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Went to Gamestop and bought a Link and armored Samus or whatever its name is. Went into hoping they still had Marth and Villager and Wii Fit Trainer Amiibos left because I live in a small town, but they're all gone. Preordered my Shulk Amiibo though.

Recon

It seems that TRU is cancelling all amiibo preorders due to shortages. Hope that you're one of the lucky ones. But odds are, you aren't safe.

Haven't heard that, so I don't know. Although, a Star Fox dedicated year would be really great in my opinion!

If it's not Mario, then it's a no in Nintendo's eyes. Like they're going to suddenly release a bunch of games for a single series whose only gameplay is about shooting enemies down on a ship...unless they make it a Zelda-like game.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Star Fox tends to get used as a tech demo-type game (which is a shame, because we could use more quality arcade-style shooters); the SNES game was just capitalizing on the then-strength of the genre and showing off the SFX chip, N64 had the Rumble Pak, Adventures stole 3D adventuring from Dinosaur Planet to be cool, and both Command and Assault (neither of which had anything particularly noteworthy) sold under a million.

The Wii U game is likely going to continue that grand tradition by incorporating the GamePad and throwing in stuff from Project Guard and Project Giant Robot; Miyamoto himself admits that the series doesn't maintain its former popularity, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason he incorporated it into Dinosaur Planet in the first place.

That being said, I'd much rather play Star Fox as a good on-rails shooter than as a mediocre action/adventurer or whathaveyou; it's the only somewhat consistent game of its kind that Nintendo has.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Preordered the Rosalina amiibo from Amazon.fr

No way I'm going to be at a Target around February 1st. I'll just pay 10 dollars extra and have come in internationally

Now, I need to get Marth somehow

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
There were no Marths on Amazon.fr? I finally broke down and went there and got several since the shipping is far less costly if you get multiple at once. I got Marth, WFT, villager, Lucario, and Rosalina for 72.23 euros including shipping. I don't know how many dollars exactly that is, but assuming about a 1.2 conversion rate (which it was when I last checked), it comes to a little over $17 per figure. Really not bad at all when you consider scalper prices, or hell, even tru normal prices are just over $15 after tax here. I take them out of the box so I don't care about the different packaging. Merry early Christmas to myself I guess

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
I finally broke and just got a Japanese Marth off of eBay. Found one for $25 including shipping.

Because literally no stores are actually able to stock it, but the Japanese have an overabundance of him. Go figure.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
It seems like most other countries have an abundance of them, hence a lot of people ordering from Amazon.fr and Amazon.de. I don't know if the hype hasn't hit or they just have better stocking procedures.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Probably has something to do with Nintendo not having much of a presence in Europe, and Nintendo being biased towards Japan because they're a Japanese company.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Probably has something to do with Nintendo not having much of a presence in Europe, and Nintendo being biased towards Japan because they're a Japanese company.

Actually, Nintendo has a decent amount of presense in France and Germany. I'm guessing Europe and Japan just isn't into the Skylanders fad, or maybe they have better stock allocations, or the Skylanders or Infinity are much more popular.

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I think it may just be that they aren't as interested. I mean most stores here had MWV in stock for awhile before word got out that they may not be restocking and everyone went nuts. Now preorders are sold out months before the date, the ones that do show up in the store are sold out in minutes, etc. Part of that is scalpers too though I'm sure, after seeing multiple people saying someone tried to (or succeeded) buy the entire stock of a character.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
There were no Marths on Amazon.fr? I finally broke down and went there and got several since the shipping is far less costly if you get multiple at once.

2 reasons:

The first, and bigger problem, is that I have no money right now. I'll have money after Christmas, so I'm not too worried about that

The second problem is that I checked both Amazon.fr and Amazon.de, and neither would ship internationally. Probably because they were not coming from Amazon itself, but other sellers.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
the money part is a problem yeah, but once you get money you should check it again. make sure to click all offers (don't know what it says but the button placement is always the same) and pick the one that has a notice about free shipping after 25 euros (should be the top in that list). for some reason on the european sites it doesn't make the amazon-fulfilled offer the default choice on all of them like it does on the american site.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
the money part is a problem yeah, but once you get money you should check it again. make sure to click all offers (don't know what it says but the button placement is always the same) and pick the one that has a notice about free shipping after 25 euros (should be the top in that list). for some reason on the european sites it doesn't make the amazon-fulfilled offer the default choice on all of them like it does on the american site.

I just ordered one from Amazon.fr since it'll take 2-3 weeks to even start shipping the order, so I should be in the clear as long as it ships after Christmas. Won't even arrive until around the time the Rosalina amiibo arrives, so I should be in the clear.