• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

amiibo Thread

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I definitely agree it was risky and most sites before they actually came out were predicting it would be a total flop. And some of the issues are out of nintendo's control as well, the port strikes are still going and at least where I live they are actually getting worse. Europe and Japan didnt have significant stock issues until Americans realized importing was an option so I would bet that the port strikes are a huge part of the issue. There's no way they were planning the release with that in mind but it definitely worked out in their favor since they've made a ton of money off these things.

If they had released the smb line first I think it might have been ok but it wouldn't have blown up as much as it has. And now that they are so popular that gives a bigger incentive to add amiibo features to more new games. People buy the amiibo to go with smash then are more likely to buy games that use the amiibo to get the most value out of them.

00shoe

Coral Eye Trainer
Last Thursday (12th of Feb) I bought a LITTLE MAC and SHULK from an EB store ($18 AUD). I was shocked to SHULK and more shocked see LITTLE MAC there considering we are well into wave 3.

This is my lucky story on how. EB (Australia) sold most of the amiibos before wave 3 release via pre-orders. However a box of amiibos and little mac was missing in the storage at the time to disturb the pre-orders out. This week they just found the box and I was there at the time the store person were adding them to the shelf.

Below is a picture as proof. I think I was very lucky. Never seen a LITTLE MAC and SHULK in a store.

IMG_3518.jpg

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Yoshi and Peach are discounted to $9.99 in Amazon.

Just remember that standard shipping will bump it up with five dollars more.

I just ordered me a Yoshi Amiibo on Best Buy for $9.99, and if you are spending $30+ then you get free shipping, so if you plan on spending that much then Best Buy would be a good choice.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
the Smash dolls are probably both the riskiest and most lucrative set; putting the Mario dolls first could've allowed Nintendo to "prove" the platform, so to speak, as opposed to letting it get the stigma right out of the gate as another collector's fad

And yet putting the Smash Bros ones out first was the quickest and easiest way to get amiibo for MANY different nintendo-owned franchises out all at once, without needing to do a Mario series, a Zelda series, a Pokemon series, etc.

Which is the primary reason they did it this way.

fhqwhgads

And yet putting the Smash Bros ones out first was the quickest and easiest way to get amiibo for MANY different nintendo-owned franchises out all at once, without needing to do a Mario series, a Zelda series, a Pokemon series, etc.

Plus, this saves them on patching games in the future with amiibo support. Now that LoZ has four(soon five) amiibo, Zelda WiiU can have amiibo support right away, instead of having to code more like with Hyrule Warriors.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
So, my Rosalina amiibo was supposed to arrive on the 29th of January from Amazon.fr. 17 days ago. Lost in the mail, so I contacted them earlier and they gave a full refund and a 3 euro credit voucher. I'm mad because I don't get my Rosalina amiibo.

Hopefully the same thing won't happen to the Ike amiibo I ordered, and it'll actually arrive at some point.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
keep in mind that there was a huge snowstorm back east and quite a few people who ordered overseas (from different sites) have had the same issue. so there may be a chance it will still come to you.

i mean i'm going to assume the wft i ordered around that time is lost too, but hey, you never know.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
keep in mind that there was a huge snowstorm back east and quite a few people who ordered overseas (from different sites) have had the same issue. so there may be a chance it will still come to you.

i mean i'm going to assume the wft i ordered around that time is lost too, but hey, you never know.

I realize that. That's what I'm crossing my fingers for. But if that doesn't happen, at least I have credit for Amazon.fr

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

And many of the amiibo are currently near-useless due to not having a game on the Wii U to support them, which is not a perception you want to put out with the first set of amiibo.

Putting out Mario amiibo that actually do something first can convince that the rest of the amiibo are worth having.

Plus, this saves them on patching games in the future with amiibo support. Now that LoZ has four(soon five) amiibo, Zelda WiiU can have amiibo support right away, instead of having to code more like with Hyrule Warriors.

Smash amiibo aren't set up to do anything special with Zelda U, though; you'll still need a LoZ amiibo to do anything specific with Zelda U.

R_N

And many of the amiibo are currently near-useless due to not having a game on the Wii U to support them, which is not a perception you want to put out with the first set of amiibo.

Putting out Mario amiibo that actually do something first can convince that the rest of the amiibo are worth having.

Smash amiibo aren't set up to do anything special with Zelda U, though; you'll still need a LoZ amiibo to do anything specific with Zelda U.

Well there's nothing stopping them from just using the smash amiibo's read/write rather than an all new unique read/write set
Kind of doubt they'll want to release a Link/Zelda amiibo you cant use with smash

This all assumes it even uses amiibos in a meaningful way, anyway.

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0
So my local Walmart now has gone from all Wave 3 Amiibo missing in action, to Sheik Amiibos on the shelf, Bowser, Toon Link, Sonic, and Mega Man have still not come in yet.

Torpoleon

Toys R Us has a buy 1 get 1 40% off deal this week (that I'm assuming works in-store) and I'll be getting a Kirby amiibo from them for free because I preordered Rainbow Curse. I doubt the amiibo I'll get for free counts towards the deal, but it would be awesome if it does. Fingers crossed.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!

Except for the fact that that's wrong. They're all usable in Smash Bros, and they may or may not have uses in games that are actually relevant to them, like Mario character Amiibo in Mario Party 10, Zelda related Amiibo in Hyrule Warriors, and even random amiibo getting compatibility with Namco Bandai 3DS games.

No, you just need Zelda related Smash Bros. amiibo, or Zelda amiibo which they will launch when Zelda U comes out.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
There's talk about basically incorporating the Masterpiece Mode in Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash Wii U into Amiibo figurines and cards.

According to the slides and commentary, Nintendo is looking into releasing card-based Amiibos along with the existing figure-based Amiibos. They also talk about Amiibos on the WiiU allowing for free VC demos, yes. The demos are limited to select "famous scenes" from related games, and there will be a play time limit. The scene selections will be rotated, but you cannot play the entire game for free. They plan on introducing this in the first half of the year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/150217/04.html

fhqwhgads

Ignoring how this doesn't make any sense(Smash amiibo certainly seem to work with every non-Smash game so far!), that wasn't my point. My point was earlier releases of amiibo series mean they don't have to hide amiibo usage until post-release.

Amiibos are out = Zelda WiiU has 1.0.0(disc) amiibo functionality.

Amiibos are not out = Hyrule Warriors needs a patch(which costs money to distribute(and to make, but they would have done the coding anyway for the disc had it been the previous situation)) to have amiibo functionality.

Though in fairness to Hyrule Warriors, it was getting patches anyway. But Zelda U won't have any patches beyond a game-breaking fix if it has one of those, most likely.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
Got my Rosalina and Ike today.

Rosalina looks amazing, and Ike looks derpier than Merth. Oh well

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0

I thought this was old news until I read the article, but this just makes the Gold Mario Amiibo even better, though the pain of this selling out fast on the Walmart website will really sting if I can't preorder it fast enough.

So my local Walmart finally got in more of the wave 3 Amiibos, Toon Link, and Bowser, Sonic and Mega Man still are missing. I bought Toon Link, but buying Amiibos is a bit harder for me then I thought, I have to nitpick the paint job on each one for imperfections, One Took Link had a third of its hand painted blue from the Master Sword, another had bits of silver plastic handing from it's arm for some reason.

Genos

Legends Arceus
I just realized Walmart didn't have a exclusive amiibo before. Huh

That just leaves the sliver Mario amiibo left.