• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping (Ash x Serena) General Discussion (SPOILER WARNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taeuknam

Ash asking Serena to join them in the dub was really freaking cute. "Thanks to you, I came up with my Santalune gym strategy, and if you could help me from here on out, uh... *looks sheepish* it would be great :3"

Little Ash is so much more mature than Ash now, lol. I didn't think about the music while watching, so I didn't miss it.

I liked Serena's VA a lot more in this episode. I found that sometimes she said lines too slowly in too high of a pitch in past episodes, and all I could think of was Luna Lovegood. But she talks faster with more emotion here, which was awesome.

I still don't understand why Ash's biggest issue was figuring out how to not catapult himself over the rhyhorn, but okay, lol. Also, when the rhyhorn started crowding around Serena, she thought back to when she was riding the rhyhorn in episode two and said "maybe it was just playing before" ... not sure if I just didn't catch that in the subs, but that's the first time I understood the point of those scenes.

(Also, Clemont diving toward the remote control with a rock: "FOR THE FUTURE OF SCIEEEENCCEEE!!!" I lol'd. I like his English VA, suits him)

Anyways, yeah the English dubs in pokemon are almost always more shippy than their Japanese counterparts. It's interesting watching it deal with a canon (one-sided at least) ship for the first time. It's doing well, I think.

Well actually, TPCi also dealt with Kenny's canon crush on Dawn.
But yeah, hopefully they keep up the good work with future Amour hints.

Is anyone else sad about the hint drought? Other than the Valentines day poster, we haven't had an objective hint in 5 episodes :( It feels like I'm going to die from hint dehydration...

necris14

Protect that smile
Still loving Serena's dub. Dub Ash is still Dub Ash, but, I suppose that makes sense. He actually sounded better in the flashback than I thought he would, though. Although I'm not too sure if I like the new music they used for that scene...

Also, I loved the slight line change where, in the original, Serena said she thought it'd be nostalgic to see Ash again after so long, but in our version she just came right out and said she wanted to see him again. It makes the very next bit, where she's acting all hurt and calling out Ash for not remembering her, seem even more shippy and adorable, I think.

By the way, am I the only one who really feels a special chemistry with these four? I might've mentioned this in an earlier rambling about this being like Advanced all over again, but I'm going to say it again: the group dynamic here feels a little bit different than anything we've really had before, except maybe Advanced. But even then, with May and Max being sort of bickering siblings instead of the more supportive type, like Clemont and Bonnie, it still came across as a group of different people just travelling together. Here, it seems like every time I see these guys interacting, I'm reminded more and more of an extended family dynamic.

Bonnie seems to see Serena as an older sister, and due to there not being a large age gap between Ash and Clemont like there was with Brock or Cilan, they come across as best friends or brothers. Obviously, Clemont is protective of Bonnie and Bonnie looks up to him. And then you have the Ash and Serena dynamic, which, even if you're not a shipper, is different than the dynamic Ash has had with the previous girls: She admires everything about him, and he's interested in her own personal journey as well.

This might just be me, but I have to say that this might be my favorite group of characters thus far in the series. Anyway, /end rambling.

PotSmuggle

Kalos Enjoyer
No, I like the chemistry too. The lack of an older mature person allows Ash to be mature and take a leader role. Serena is intelligent for planning, if you remember her leaving a trail of macaroons when she was in TR's truck, she mostly has the ideas too. Clemont makes machines that are helpful for the group and goal is to have more courage. Honestly, this is my favourite team in the whole anime. The anime has really improved and it has a lot of potential and development with friendships and Amourshipping. End of text wall.

Edit: Just realised,
Clemont wants courage
Serena wants a heart (Ash)
Which leaves Ash wanting a Brain haha

Last edited:

_Dog

Good evening, Pokémon fans.

I was once a Pokémon fan, one who was mainly a so-called "genwunner", but have also played the second and third games. During the Generation I and II periods, Pokémon was my obsession (mainly the games, the show, and cards). I thought it was the greatest thing in existence and I wanted to be in a Pokémon world myself. My life revolved around Pokémon, and I did everything in my power to "Catch 'em all" (and didn't quite succeed) at the games. However, my obsession ended and by the time the fourth games came out I became disconnected with Pokémon, feeling the series had gotten stale, and that the show had gotten nowhere and that the creators were continuing to milk it, and that the whole franchise had a downright horrid fanbase. When the fifth games came out, I felt I made the right decision once I saw them, as I was flat-out unimpressed with Pokémon's latest offering at the time, and felt that the show had been relegated into very bad writing.

However, the latest Pokémon games look like a vast improvement over the previous few games, and I must say I'm impressed. Although so much of the cheesiness remains (not necessarily a bad thing), it looks like a true sequel rather than a rehash with improved graphics and a few added features to an already existing game. I don't think I can spend the money and time to purchase and play Pokémon on a 3DS, but I have regained some respect for the franchise, and hope it'll continue to improve like that.

This show likewise has improved, and admittedly, it's thanks to the so-called "Amourshipping". I've been lurking through this thread for sometime (not quite halfway through). As the show had gotten to its' lowest point (IMO), I felt that in order for the show to finally get somewhere (not just see Ash get some badges in every region), one of these three things should happen: 1) Give Ash a girlfriend or romantic love interest, 2) Have Ash finally find his father who has never appeared once, or 3) Have Ash actually become Pokémon Champion and give some type of epilogue. But this pairing has so much promise I can't help but investigate further. The flashback scene looks visually beautiful, and the music is stunning. It looks like a movie production! It's a shame the scene felt slightly nerfed on the dub due to the change in the music (why did they do that?), but it's pleasing to look at, and has gotten me to investigate the show after so many years of ignoring it. That said, the show (IMO) isn't very good as it is cheesy, has too-obvious emotions, and is filled with limited animation (anime in general suffers from the latter two). I get entertained much more by the Premier League matches that run at the same time this show runs.

I will have to accept the fact although I regret getting into Pokémon as a boy (I quit playing soccer as a kid), it was once part of my life and I cannot remove that. As such, I don't want to see Pokémon fail. If the Ash & Serena pairing actually goes canon, it'll do so much to redeem my childhood show, and I say this as a non-shipper. If one person is going to get Ash, Serena is it. I find this as a final chance to make this show regain my respect, and I will feel gladness if the pairing truly goes canon. I feel that if it does not happen and Serena gets the axe, then Ash is doomed to go without romance for the remainder of the show, and who knows how long that'll be. In such regards I would rather see the show end and be put out of its misery.

Persuade me to join you. Can you tell me all the hints that have happened? Does Serena really have a crush on Ash, or is it all mere admiration? (Tell me here; I don't want to go to Bulbapedia) Could this pairing actually happen? Please tell me. I want to know how realistic the possibility is when it comes to this pairing.

tl;dr - Former Pokémon fan has regained some interest in the franchise and would like to see "AmourShipping" go canon.

Last edited:

Coockie

Does Serena really have a crush on Ash, or is it all mere admiration? (Tell me here; I don't want to go to Bulbapedia) Could this pairing actually happen? Please tell me. I want to know how realistic the possibility is when it comes to this pairing.
IMO she have a crush on him. She's always blushing when she talks to him etc. I'm not sure but I heard that the writers made the crush offical. I think it wouldn't happen that they become pair( but there will be still romantic interactions. ^^

BTW I saw a few minutes ago the dub of episode 7. IMO it wasn't to much awesomeness but still good. The voice of Serena is way better as in the other episodes. The music in the flashback is okay, it's a long time ago when I saw this episode the first time so I couldn't remember the music in the orginal very good. For me Ash sounds not very nervous when he asks Serena to travel with them, just my option, but he sounds eh... good when he answers to Serena at the end when she run to the group to tell them that she will travel with them.

I was once a Pokémon fan, one who was mainly a so-called "genwunner", but have also played the second and third games. During the Generation I and II periods, Pokémon was my obsession (mainly the games, the show, and cards). I thought it was the greatest thing in existence and I wanted to be in a Pokémon world myself. My life revolved around Pokémon, and I did everything in my power to "Catch 'em all" (and didn't quite succeed) at the games. However, my obsession ended and by the time the fourth games came out I became disconnected with Pokémon, feeling the series had gotten stale, and that the show had gotten nowhere and that the creators were continuing to milk it, and that the whole franchise had a downright horrid fanbase. When the fifth games came out, I felt I made the right decision once I saw them, as I was flat-out unimpressed with Pokémon's latest offering at the time, and felt that the show had been relegated into very bad writing.

However, the latest Pokémon games look like a vast improvement over the previous few games, and I must say I'm impressed. Although so much of the cheesiness remains (not necessarily a bad thing), it looks like a true sequel rather than a rehash with improved graphics and a few added features to an already existing game. I don't think I can spend the money and time to purchase and play Pokémon on a 3DS, but I have regained some respect for the franchise, and hope it'll continue to improve like that.

This show likewise has improved, and admittedly, it's thanks to the so-called "Amourshipping". I've been lurking through this thread for sometime (not quite halfway through). As the show had gotten to its' lowest point (IMO), I felt that in order for the show to finally get somewhere (not just see Ash get some badges in every region), one of these three things should happen: 1) Give Ash a girlfriend or romantic love interest, 2) Have Ash finally find his father who has never appeared once, or 3) Have Ash actually become Pokémon Champion and give some type of epilogue. But this pairing has so much promise I can't help but investigate further. The flashback scene looks visually beautiful, and the music is stunning. It looks like a movie production! It's a shame the scene felt slightly nerfed on the dub due to the change in the music (why did they do that?), but it's pleasing to look at, and has gotten me to investigate the show after so many years of ignoring it. That said, the show (IMO) isn't very good as it is cheesy, has too-obvious emotions, and is filled with limited animation (anime in general suffers from the latter two). I get entertained much more by the Premier League matches that run at the same time this show runs.

I will have to accept the fact although I regret getting into Pokémon as a boy (I quit playing soccer as a kid), it was once part of my life and I cannot remove that. As such, I don't want to see Pokémon fail. If the Ash & Serena pairing actually goes canon, it'll do so much to redeem my childhood show, and I say this as a non-shipper. If one person is going to get Ash, Serena is it. I find this as a final chance to make this show regain my respect, and I will feel gladness if the pairing truly goes canon. I feel that if it does not happen and Serena gets the axe, then Ash is doomed to go without romance for the remainder of the show, and who knows how long that'll be. In such regards I would rather see the show end and be put out of its misery.

Persuade me to join you. Can you tell me all the hints that have happened? Does Serena really have a crush on Ash, or is it all mere admiration? (Tell me here; I don't want to go to Bulbapedia) Could this pairing actually happen? Please tell me. I want to know how realistic the possibility is when it comes to this pairing.

tl;dr - Former Pokémon fan has regained some interest in the franchise and would like to see "AmourShipping" go canon.

Dude I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as you. Non shipper who has come back to watching the show after having given up on it. How they handle Serena, and her future in the show, pretty much can make or break it for me (and I have a feeling this is the case for many others). Just dieing for some change/improvement...

Edit: As far as your questions go, her crush hasn't been really made official but its pretty obvious. For example, in ep13 she gets jelous/worried when Premier tells Ash that he must "be with her" if he loses their pokemon battle. As for all the hints...other members on this thread will probably do a much better job than I can of laying them all out.

Last edited:

--VIRGO--

Ash: And you came all that way for this [Serena's returning handkerchief]
Serena: Not just that. You see. I really wanted to see you again.

That last bit was more than I ever expected to hear. The way Serena told this was amazing.

T0ubs1hk

In the end of episode 7 (dubb version) Serena says: I'm going with you, ins't that great? ... Was she talking just to ash or to the group in general?

Because i like that scene, that was really good. :D

taeuknam

First, I'd like to say your respect for Pokémon is not unjustified. Pokémon X and Y are not only a masterpiece, but the greatest story ever told in human history, in any civilization. The storyline of Pokémon X and Y will make you burst out in laughter at times, and bring you to your knees to make you weep at others. The games dealt with possibly the most mature themes in PokéHistory, from the obvious life and death to war, to differing philosophies, and even romance. Hopefully the last one carries to the anime.

Serena's crush was obvious from the start, but many were in denial. They tried to brush it off as mere admiration, but XY007 has long since crushed those delusions. Since then, Serena's crush has been vindicated time and time again with a character relations table, XY013, a Valentine's Day poster, and another character relations table. Some of her more solid hints include:
- Her blushing while looking at Ash on the second promotional poster for XY
- Deciding to go on her journey with finding Ash as her sole purpose (XY002)
- Being happy when Sycamore tells her that it was indeed Ash on TV (XY003)
- Being giddy of seeing Ash again in Santalune (XY005)
- Being remorseful that Ash didn't even notice her (XY005)
- Offering Ash a handkerchief (XY005)
- Asking if Ash remembers her in the tone she used (XY006)
- Being devastated after Ash says that he doesn't remember her (XY006)
- Cheering up quickly after he says sorry (XY006)
- Winking at Ash when accepting his offer to join the group (XY007)
- Is extremely happy when Ash finally remembers her, albeit as "The Straw Hat Girl" rather than as Serena (XY007)
- Says that she felt "nostalgic" and wanted to see him again (XY007)
- Pouts that he didn't remember her immediately (XY007)
- Posing for Ash and asking him what he thinks about her Rhyhorn racing outfit, being annoyed for a split-second when he doesn't respond (XY007)
- Baking him cookies to thank him for everything (XY007)
- Having an arrow to Ash that reads "Likes...?" on the first character relations table
- Freaking out when Premier says she wants Ash to "go with her" (XY013)
- Putting her hand over her heart in relief after realizing Premier had no romantic motives (XY013)
- Dreamily looking at Ash while holding a heart shaped balloon on the official Valentine's Day Poster
- Summary of her in a magazine reads "has very special feelings towards Ash"
- Having an arrow to Ash that reads "Is very interested in" on the second character relations table

Ash does not yet have feelings for Serena (as far as we know), but has shown hints of attraction such as:
- Asking Serena to travel with him while shyly scratching his cheek (XY007)
- Pulling Serena up into an embrace when younger, which Serena pulled away from, not him (XY007)
- Holding her hand while leading her out of the forest
- Having a generally softer tone towards Serena
- Is in general a lot less confrontational towards Serena than he was towards other girls

In addition, Alexa seems to be aware of Serena's crush, smiling when the two are talking, as well as telling Serena that she was his "trigger" to help him defeat Viola. When Serena asks Ash if he remembers her Fletchling and Pikachu run over to where Clemont and Bonnie are, to give them some alone time.

Hopefully this helped!

Navin

MALDREAD
First, I'd like to say your respect for Pokémon is not unjustified. Pokémon X and Y are not only a masterpiece, but the greatest story ever told in human history, in any civilization. The storyline of Pokémon X and Y will make you burst out in laughter at times, and bring you to your knees to make you weep at others. The games dealt with possibly the most mature themes in PokéHistory, from the obvious life and death to war, to differing philosophies, and even romance. Hopefully the last one carries to the anime.

I appreciated the sarcasm (that is, if you meant to be sarcastic).

Serena's crush was obvious from the start, but many were in denial. They tried to brush it off as mere admiration, but XY007 has long since crushed those delusions. Since then, Serena's crush has been vindicated time and time again with a character relations table, XY013, a Valentine's Day poster, and another character relations table. Some of her more solid hints include:
- Her blushing while looking at Ash on the second promotional poster for XY
- Deciding to go on her journey with finding Ash as her sole purpose (XY002)
- Being happy when Sycamore tells her that it was indeed Ash on TV (XY003)
- Being giddy of seeing Ash again in Santalune (XY005)
- Being remorseful that Ash didn't even notice her (XY005)
- Offering Ash a handkerchief (XY005)
- Asking if Ash remembers her in the tone she used (XY006)
- Being devastated after Ash says that he doesn't remember her (XY006)
- Cheering up quickly after he says sorry (XY006)
- Winking at Ash when accepting his offer to join the group (XY007)
- Is extremely happy when Ash finally remembers her, albeit as "The Straw Hat Girl" rather than as Serena (XY007)
- Says that she felt "nostalgic" and wanted to see him again (XY007)
- Pouts that he didn't remember her immediately (XY007)
- Posing for Ash and asking him what he thinks about her Rhyhorn racing outfit, being annoyed for a split-second when he doesn't respond (XY007)
- Baking him cookies to thank him for everything (XY007)
- Having an arrow to Ash that reads "Likes...?" on the first character relations table
- Freaking out when Premier says she wants Ash to "go with her" (XY013)
- Putting her hand over her heart in relief after realizing Premier had no romantic motives (XY013)
- Dreamily looking at Ash while holding a heart shaped balloon on the official Valentine's Day Poster
- Summary of her in a magazine reads "has very special feelings towards Ash"
- Having an arrow to Ash that reads "Is very interested in" on the second character relations table

Ash does not yet have feelings for Serena (as far as we know), but has shown hints of attraction such as:
- Asking Serena to travel with him while shyly scratching his cheek (XY007)
- Pulling Serena up into an embrace when younger, which Serena pulled away from, not him (XY007)
- Holding her hand while leading her out of the forest
- Having a generally softer tone towards Serena
- Is in general a lot less confrontational towards Serena than he was towards other girls

In addition, Alexa seems to be aware of Serena's crush, smiling when the two are talking, as well as telling Serena that she was his "trigger" to help him defeat Viola. When Serena asks Ash if he remembers her Fletchling and Pikachu run over to where Clemont and Bonnie are, to give them some alone time.

Hopefully this helped!

Tl;dr Serena likes Ash. Ash doesn't reciprocate her feelings. Maybe that'll change.

rockerztonight1

Calm Trainer
I appreciated the sarcasm (that is, if you meant to be sarcastic).

I think he/she was just trying to be funny by being dramatic :p At least, that's how I read it.

Edit: I know this is not the place to say it, but how do the banners under our usernames work? Can we change them ourselves, or do they change automatically/randomly? Mine just randomly changed to a Brock banner lol.

Last edited:

Tangeh

Well actually, TPCi also dealt with Kenny's canon crush on Dawn.
But yeah, hopefully they keep up the good work with future Amour hints.

Whoops, sorry! This is my first time watching since the Advanced series, so I didn't know about that.

By the way, am I the only one who really feels a special chemistry with these four? I might've mentioned this in an earlier rambling about this being like Advanced all over again, but I'm going to say it again: the group dynamic here feels a little bit different than anything we've really had before, except maybe Advanced. But even then, with May and Max being sort of bickering siblings instead of the more supportive type, like Clemont and Bonnie, it still came across as a group of different people just travelling together. Here, it seems like every time I see these guys interacting, I'm reminded more and more of an extended family dynamic.

Bonnie seems to see Serena as an older sister, and due to there not being a large age gap between Ash and Clemont like there was with Brock or Cilan, they come across as best friends or brothers. Obviously, Clemont is protective of Bonnie and Bonnie looks up to him. And then you have the Ash and Serena dynamic, which, even if you're not a shipper, is different than the dynamic Ash has had with the previous girls: She admires everything about him, and he's interested in her own personal journey as well.

This might just be me, but I have to say that this might be my favorite group of characters thus far in the series. Anyway, /end rambling.

I absolutely agree. If you think back to Advanced, you had May and Max as the bickering siblings, and then... well, that was really it. Try to pinpoint Max's relation to Ash or May's to Brock is just confusing because they never really had one besides that they're all heading in the same direction for whatever reason and at least get along. Brock cooked food and May really liked food. That was about as deep as any relationship ever got beside May/Max imo. (Ash and May started off well with a teacher/student dynamic, but it faded out)

Under 20 episodes in, you have Clemont being the really caring big brother to Bonnie, Bonnie attaching herself to Serena as if they were biological sisters (very typical for little girls to do this with older girls, I should add, so it's a nice touch), Clemont and Ash have been shown that they battle each other for training purposes and for fun, Bonnie's been shown taking care of Ash's pokemon and Ash is totally okay with it, then of course you have Serena with her crush on Ash...

I'd love to see some friendship building with Serena and Clemont, because their relationship is the most vague, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Edit:
Edit: I know this is not the place to say it, but how do the banners under our usernames work? Can we change them ourselves, or do they change automatically/randomly? Mine just randomly changed to a Brock banner lol.

Pretty sure it's based on post count. Mine is still at the lowest post count banner, so the Brock one is probably the next one up.

Last edited:

Graham Aker

Tl;dr Serena likes Ash. Ash doesn't reciprocate her feelings. Maybe that'll change.

Really, I still think Ash is the biggest roadblock to this ship. Realistically, if anything is actually going to come out of this ship the writers are going to have to have him stop being oblivious and mature him a bit in the field of romance.

Ross451

Plz notice me senpai
The group that Ash is traveling with now is the strongest I've seen (IMO). I would like to see more interaction between Ash and Serena but Serena and Clemont, maybe she will ask him for pokémon battling so she could impress Ash?

Second I would like to see Serena to become more of an older sister to Bonnie and see more interaction between them both and become even more closer :)

Finally, I would like to say I've loved pokémon since the very first season and adding some romance just spices things up a little and it's a huge step for pokémon and wish this continues to develop.

Last edited:

PokeHero96

Second Serena and Bonnie relationship may become even closer if Serena tells Bonnie how she feels about Ash or after being friends along times she will realize her feelings.

I'm actually hoping that Serena and Bonnie talk alone, knowing Bonnie she'll bring up something about either Pokemon or still on the road to finding Clemont a wife, maybe Bonnie will ask Serena about romance, or whatever, and the convocation will just start. I have no clue if this will happen, but I hope one day it does.

Really, I still think Ash is the biggest roadblock to this ship. Realistically, if anything is actually going to come out of this ship the writers are going to have to have him stop being oblivious and mature him a bit in the field of romance.

You can't snap your fingers and expect some to understand romance. It needs to come sincere from the heart, not forced for the sake of romance.

Ross451

Plz notice me senpai
I'm actually hoping that Serena and Bonnie talk alone, knowing Bonnie she'll bring up something about either Pokemon or still on the road to finding Clemont a wife, maybe Bonnie will ask Serena about romance, or whatever, and the convocation will just start. I have no clue if this will happen, but I hope one day it does.

It will be hard for either Serena and Ash or Serena and Bonnie to talk alone seems they're always around each other, I think anything that were to happen wont happen till the movie.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
in my humble opinion, i think ash's obliviousness to serena could either be very good or very pointless. because it could be used to develop their relationship and maybe ash can start reciprocating those feelings gradually or its just going to drag on throughout the series and absolutely nothing will come of it.

demarc

Tomorrow Is Mine
in my humble opinion, i think ash's obliviousness to serena could either be very good or very pointless. because it could be used to develop their relationship and maybe ash can start reciprocating those feelings gradually or its just going to drag on throughout the series and absolutely nothing will come of it.

I don't think Ash's obliviousness is good at all. But I agree with you, the tension that this shipping is causing needs to lead up to something. But I really hope that Serena breaks Ash's "shell" of oblivion, it's not like she can't. It's not on her if Ash doesn't soften up, it's his fault for being brain-dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.