• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping (Ash x Serena) General Discussion (SPOILER WARNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah! you are right! :D
I forgot that Red saved Yellow!...Do you think the lazy writers just recycled the old manga to make it a new anime saga with a romantic plot? Now I do!

Hey, I don't mind. ;)
Whatever works for Amourshipping, lol ^_^

arctofire

I just want to say everyone that I have changed my mind, I do want Serena to have a goal, and I do want her to have sufficient character development. I was angry just because I was annoyed at first that it was halting the ship. But I want everyone to forget what I said before and I want everyone to turn over a new leaf.

matthew11

8000 MMR
I just want to say everyone that I have changed my mind, I do want Serena to have a goal, and I do want her to have sufficient character development. I was angry just because I was annoyed at first that it was halting the ship. But I want everyone to forget what I said before and I want everyone to turn over a new leaf.

Good thing you change you mind :). Anyway, a little helpful tip; it's good to be pessimistic sometimes. It helps a lot in this thread since it causes arguments where ideas are flying everywhere. But don't go over-pessimistic, cause everyone will look at you differently the next time you post here, and some might even point at you.

Anyway, I like the brighten-up-the-mood-here idea, so I've thought that we should play a certain game that's currently being played (or been played) on another thread. So yeah, caption me this:

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/K7WQG5H.jpg[/IMG300]

Attachments

• K7WQG5H.jpg
    K7WQG5H.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 26
Good thing you change you mind :). Anyway, a little helpful tip; it's good to be pessimistic sometimes. It helps a lot in this thread since it causes arguments where ideas are flying everywhere. But don't go over-pessimistic, cause everyone will look at you differently the next time you post here, and some might even point at you.

Anyway, I like the brighten-up-the-mood-here idea, so I've thought that we should play a certain game that's currently being played (or been played) on another thread. So yeah, caption me this:

dafuq dude, why would you bring my game here?

*cough*
"Those are some lovely trees out there....What? There are children hugging on the background? Where??"

Oh, love this game. Let's see......
"How I met your mother"

PotSmuggle

Kalos Enjoyer
What are you talking about? I don't remember Bonnie saying something in the dub that made Ash sound as dense as he was in BW...

Ash: You know Bonnie? That is a cute... (Serena gasps) Fennekin.

Bonnie: I think Ash gets it...?

Forgot if this happened in the Japanese version but they made Ash sound kinda stupid. Don't get me wrong, I think the Dub is good for this anime but I prefer the Japanese dub even if the dub handles somethings better vecause it's the original representation and I think the voice actors are more suitable (Though I think Clemont's english actor is perfect). I do watch it occasionally to understand certain episodes more and check that the TV viewers should be fine, though so it's pretty useful.

More on topic, here is a question:

What kind of hint do you want to see in XY50 if any?

_Dog

There's too much stuff to read, so I'm not even gonna bother about reading it sorry :p

I was extremely happy with the latest episode, even if it was dry on Amour hints, because it was an important step for Serena's character. Loved the way she bonded with Pancham and even risked herself to save it.
And the ending.... well. It made me feel as though it wasn't Pokemon anymore, that's for sure. Loved it really, and the scene at the end with Ash covering her with the blanket was adorable.

EDIT: In regards to Beatles' long post, I saw you were excited about the Soccer Thread, so just have a gander at my page and you should find the link. Good post BTW, nice to see new Amourshippers

Thanks, bud. I've added a TL;DR to that post now. Glad to know I've found the soccer thread, really appreciate it. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need help on math, though I can't guarantee I can help you on time. =)

None taken. Even I don't take them seriously. XD

Phew, glad to know you're not offended. Believe me, I at one point was tempted to ship Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes and Yotsuba of Yotsuba&!. *laughs* Not to mention I've got a big idea for a Smash Bros. fanfiction that'll require lots of writers.

Can't be all bad now, can it? =)

Anyways, to keep on topic, I'll now ask one of my questions. One thing that has impressed me on this thread is the variety of ethnicities from all over the world. This pleases me, but also leads me to ask:

What are the demographics of Serena fans/Amourshippers?

Do we have any info on this? I wouldn't be surprised if people my age made up a significant demographic--from what I hear they were a plurality when it came to the sales of the games. I am a Hispanic male single college student in his mid-20's who came back into watching the show as a result of Amourshipping, and reading the many posts of this thread, I'm not alone in regards to the latter. I've also read that apparently Serena's better received by males than by females, but I don't know how reliable that claim is.

Do you folks have an idea, or at least a guess?

Last edited:

Forgot if this happened in the Japanese version but they made Ash sound kinda stupid.

It went like this:

Satoshi: That's really cute!
Serena: *gasp*
Satoshi: Fokko
Serena: Oh, I thought...
Eureka: Satoshi, you get it!

Not expecting much but I'll be damned if there aren't any.

PotSmuggle

Kalos Enjoyer

I'm pretty sure this is all more well received by Males but not by that much of a significant amount. Amour brought back a lot of viewers Male and Female alike, but I'm guessing there are more Males on this ship. As for Serena, she will probably have better reception from Males as well. Mostly because she's "eyecandy" and there will be a lot of fanservice with her goal, but I think it could end up being Females because of her goal as a performer. Depends on how it's handled.

Anyways, to keep on topic, I'll now ask one of my questions. One thing that has impressed me on this thread is the variety of ethnicities from all over the world. This pleases me, but also leads me to ask:

Do we have any info on this? I wouldn't be surprised if people my age made up a significant demographic--from what I hear they were a plurality when it came to the sales of the games. I am a Hispanic male single college student in his mid-20's who came back into watching the show as a result of Amourshipping, and reading the many posts of this thread, I'm not alone in regards to the latter. I've also read that apparently Serena's better received by males than by females, but I don't know how reliable that claim is.

Not sure, but I am a white single male who just turned 24 a couple days ago- and I got back into the show around February/March, also due to Amourshipping.

As far as the claim of Serena being more popular with the guys than the ladies- I don't know how much truth there is to that either, but like PotSmuggle said, people could be saying this because she's attractive- which she is- but if that claim is true then it could change now that she's set on a career as a performer.

Also, nice to see the tide of the thread has turned after all the negativity from the past couple days- that was the last thing I wanted to see when I logged in on my birthday.

Not really sure about this one but I'm basing these on what I've read in this thread before.
Sadly, Serena's character's is not that really much of a hype for fans since she's the girliest of all that Ash has traveled with and her blandness before having her own goal (which took a lot of episodes, BTW) adds up to her unhyped character. Misty and May started at nothing too but it didn't took them long before they could find a certain goal for themselves, though Misty decided to just resume her gym leader career while May is still pursuing hers. Dawn already had her own from the very beginning. Not quite sure about Iris though, I haven't seen BW (I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me about her). She did finally got a goal for herself but I'm not quite sure if that will save her character, especially that her goal isn't battle oriented (at least contest still involves battles). Dawn was pretty well accepted in Japan (especially for women) since she's more of an independent girl that can do things on her own (thus, the reason why Pearlshipping is more popular than amour) while Serena was just a "wife material". On the contrary, she is pretty popular for most male audiences because of that. Amourshipping was generally well accepted at first but as time goes by, Serena's bland perosnality (before finding her own goal) kinda debunks amour's popularity. But now, she has a dream to pursue so let's hope that it will save her (even though her goal is too girly for a Pokemon show).

So to summaries things that I've said above
Serena's character demographics
Boys: Likes her mostly because of her wife material personality
Girls: Can't say that she is hated mostly but many still prefers Dawn and Misty. Dawn was more popular because she can do many things on her own while Misty, well, because of nostalgia and she was the 1st Pokegirl

Perhaps, Serena's blandness at first kinda made her boring for most audiences but we'll see if things will change now that she has something that she'd want to do. I also brought up M-Serena earlier because M-Serena is how Serena should have been for most fans.

As for Amourshipping itself, It is pretty popular because of it's uniqueness and it was hyped when XY was still fresh. Now that we're at the near end of the 1st season, I can't really say if amour is still as popular like it used to. There hasn't much solid hints that we're getting at the moment so that too is putting the ship at stale (most hints that were given for these past few episodes only depends on interpretation). I know some of you will tell me I'm wrong here but we're not getting the same hints that we used to have (EP2, EP3, EP5, EP6, EP7, EP13, EP21, EP25, EP26, EP31 and EP37), which kept the ship sailing before. Most of the hints that we're getting now are pretty subtle and will depend on a person's POV.

Of course, all of these are just my opinion and based on what I've read so I can always be wrong.

Last edited:

Amphicoelias

Stargazing dinosaur

Caption time then.

Ash: Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down....
Scar: No! NO! Anything but that

I'm happier that this topic has taken a turn for the better now. Let's just enjoy the ride. Amourshipping certainly gathered most of us here together and really, the writers just can't get out of the hole they have dug themselves just like that.

Just another question for you all.

Do you expect to see more official Amourshipping art?

My own personal view is yes, I certainly do. Perhaps we'll get something at Christmas or Valentine's day. What might it be based on? Hard to say but I can definitely see a seasonal theme just like before.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member

Forgot if this happened in the Japanese version but they made Ash sound kinda stupid.

Actually in that scene Bonnie was talking about Ash getting what PokéVision is.... not anything else. Ash is not from Kalos, so I don't think him not knowing about PokéVision made him sound stupid. Besides, the lines in the Japanese version were somewhat similar.

Not expecting much from the episode.... but it'd be nice to see Ash helping out Serena like he did in XY047.

Last edited:

taeuknam

Now, as mentioned before, I have a lot to say about this thread and its users. This is a very long post, so take your time. I'm going to be as honest as possible, and I apologize if I cause any offense, for they're not intended.

First, my thoughts on some Amourshippers:

asuna07neros: You seem to have gotten increasingly pessimistic in the last few weeks, but don't throw in the towel just yet. There's still more to go.
Cresselia92: Nice to know someone likes Super Smash Bros. at least as much as I do. =)
DaDonYordel: What is with your signature...
Graham Aker: You're a good guy. One of the most respectable users in this thread.
JrzFine: Got a little impatient, no?
Lorde: You seem like a rather difficult person to satisfy, no? You also say "in my opinion" a whole lot, you know.
LucarioTheSuperSaiyajin: Dude, if you're going to use Japanese names, please transliterate them better. You are Chilean, so don't make yourself look like a fool by using the likes of "Shitoron", "Yuriika", and "Rokettos", so please use "Citron", "Eureka", and "Rockets". Other than that, you're a good and informative user.
Maldread: You should really cut the condescending sarcasm, it's causing people to doubt you're an Amourshipper. I know your concerns and criticisms are mostly valid, but please try to put it in a better way.
Midnight Reality: Beautiful paragraph at the latter end of post #19076
pK': Thanks a lot for the treats you bring. You're one of the best users here. I already miss you, man =(
PokeHero96: Thanks for that video you showed in pg. 742. You're a bright fellow, but don't be overenthusiastic and get carried away, alright?
ScienceIsSoAmazing: I'm completely like you in regards to Amourshipping; it got me watching this show again (though I haven't gotten back to it in some time). You're easily one of the best users in this thread.
Sir Aaron Aura Guardian: I like your taste in music. Also, go with Amourshipping.
taeuknam: Don't get overly enthusiastic and optimistic about Amourshipping, okay? It's not too healthy to be overly into it to the point where you write bad fanfiction (no offense). It could turn back on you. =)
torterra_4_the_win: There's a soccer thread in this site? Please show me! *excited*

While this thread has been quite awkward at times, you guys did enough to persuade me to become an AmourShipper. It's quite funny, because I normally despise shippings, a ton. Most of it simply turn me off in a way that makes me sigh and shake my head. (No offense, Cresselia, but your ideas of so-called AntennaShipping and SteakShipping are, quite frankly, very stupid ideas). I for one can't stand fanfiction, AMV's, so-called fanon hints, and at least half of the fanart, and the majority of these shippings (Pokemon or otherwise) have absolutely zero chance of going canon. I am not going to join a ship for that type of stuff, especially if it has a 100% chance of not happening. The Ash x Bonnie thread is a grand example of this, as I find that to be utterly pointless, as well as morally objectionable.

As mentioned before (and I'll mention it again for newer readers who haven't read my previous posts), I was crazy into Pokemon fifteen years ago. I used to be into the Pokemon games, anime, and trading card game. As a silly nine-year old boy I thought Pokemon was truly the greatest thing to have ever been invented. I wanted to be like Ash and become the greatest Pokemon trainer of all time. It was quite a phase I went through, which lasted for about a year. It began to wane when I stopped with the TCG after the first generation, and I was also viewing the show less frequently, only watching bits of Johto and Hoenn. I continued to play the games until the third generation (which included the first remakes), and once the fourth games came out I lost interest and found the series had gotten stale to me. I was flat-out unimpressed when I first saw the fifth games, and the show had gotten so bad it made me want to puke. My childhood hero, Ash, had become such a grand failure by that point it really saddened me.

This is a good article explaining how bad it has become for Ash. I give a warning, for it has crude humor:
atthebuzzershow.com/2013/01/14/ash-ketchum-is-the-worst-trainer-ever/

Reinterest in Pokemon began two years ago when I replayed the first Pokemon games as a nostalgia trip. The year after I first saw the sixth games, which deeply impressed me and I saw it as a huge step in the right direction. Although I've decided I won't get back into the games, Pokemon X/Y did have me give the series some respect back. In addition, I throughly enjoyed Pokemon Origins, which was simply fantastic. In late January I also began to learn of Serena and Amourshipping, and it just grabbed my interest like mad. I have watched about 30 episodes of the show now (skipped some fillers), and have read all the pages of this thread, and I now join you guys as an Amourshipper. I hope I can be meaningful in our discussion.

You see, I'm not so much of an Amourshipper as I'm just a guy who simply wants Ash to win a league for once, and from what I've seen I think Serena might give him the boost and support he needs to win that league. That's my reason why I'm an Amourshipper; I don't believe in escapism, and I don't care for any of the fanfiction, AMV's, and all that jazz (although I do appreciate some nice artwork--official and fanmade), I'm not in it for whatever "cuteness" comes out of it. I just want this pairing to go canon, as I believe in will be great development for Ash, and increase his chances at winning the Kalos league as he'll have reliable support to help him reach his goals. I'd also love to see Ash do the same for Serena in her goals. I didn't expect any hints at the last episode, but I'm glad Serena now has a goal, as the crush on Ash was the only thing she had going for her before that (as well as being eye candy for 5-15 year old male viewers). I don't want her to be useless.

Putting the two together as a pairing is something I believe will be beneficial to both characters. Ash and Serena both have a great love for Pokemon, and they can support each other in their respective goals--Ash helping Serena win the TriPokalons, and Serena helping Ash win gym badges and ultimately the Kalos League. Together, they press forward. To me, that's what couples are for--helping each other become stronger and better despite difficulties, obstacles, and trials; to have improvement and progression, and experiencing joy in doing so.

Seeing the whole childhood scene at Professor Oak's camp, the fact that Serena began her journey to see Ash, her moments of blushing, her panic at losing Ash to Penelope, her worry about Ash calling Aria cute, her extreme concern of Ash during his battle against Grant, her extreme jealousy and blush during her encounters with Miette, her bringing herself close to Ash at that photo with Korrina, her getting teary at the thought of never seeing Ash again at the mirror episode, her compliment and subsequent nervousness towards Ash at the recent summer camp, the boosts given to Ash at the Viola and Korrina battles, the blushing at one of the earliest posters, the character relationship charts (Suki...?), and the Valentine's Day poster (with shoujo bubbles, no less!)--these things can't be disregarded so easily. Never has the main girl in Pokemon ever had such a blatant crush on our protagonist. As mentioned before, the writers have dug themselves deeply into a hole, and I hope the future goes well with the ship.

Of all the flaws the Pokemon show has--not just the ones that arctofire has mentioned in post #21342, but also the awkward dialogue, the limited animation, Ash's failures, just plain poor writing, and problems that anime has in general--I will forgive it and all the mistakes and flaws it has made if Amourshipping becomes canon and Ash wins a league. It will do so much to fulfill a childhood wish. That said, knowing what has been done in the past, I understand the pessimism and am rather pessimistic and don't think it'll ultimately happen, as Serena will likely get the axe before the seventh region begins. If that is the case, it will be the biggest letdown this show has ever done. But I'm not going to give up; I will wait until it's all over.

That'll be enough for now. I must head to work. I will ask some questions later.

TL;DR After reading all 850+ pages of this thread, I have become an Amourshipper for the reason that it'll be great character development for Ash and Serena if it were to become canon.

Haha, none taken! I am honoured!

Um, also, now that you mention it, since PK is gone, isn't it possible we got out of episode hints in magazines or whatever and we just have no way of knowing it?
And also, isn't it better to be optimistic? I like to go through each episode and appreciate not only the hints but also little things like moments where they are talking to each other. It's like playing the "Glad Game" in some sense. I think expecting the best is better than expecting the worse since we spend much more time expecting than we will "receiving" at the end of XY.
And about her goal, I'm sure we'll get a ton of hints now that she has a goal! Advance and Pearl got lots of Contest related hints, and since TriPokalon is exclusive to girls, no rival shipping will emerge from this and sink our ship (as long as they don't make Serena bisexual, which is too controversial in conservative Japan anyway).

tomyno

I can't help thinking about pikachu-buneary shipping. It was canon, popular, one-side and writers turned it down. Please tell they are not going to disapoint fans again. I would be really sad. So let's be optimistic and hope this WON'T happen.

Obscurites

Owning both magazines that have poster/pin-up of SatoSere, I can't stop wonder if the magazine released in December (which would labeled as January 2015 issue) will have another one. :p

NPT

Just a member
Oh no, not again...

I'm not sure why people are talking about older demographics. Amourshipping is aimed at kids, or rather, little girls who are just discovering romance. Its the same reason all Disney films have a love plot.

Are you seriously comparing Pokémon anime to the Disney films? And where did you get the idea that Amourshipping is only aimed at kids? The writers are well aware of the fact that older people watch Pokémon too, hence why they introduced the shipping subplot in XY.

CyberCubed said:
I also don't understand where people get the assumption that people are coming back to the anime. XY has the lowest ratings of all the sagas in both Japan and U.S, even lower than the BW series.

So you're bringing up the ratings? Then you need to read this...
Dephender said:
TV ratings in general are relatively meaningless in this day and age when recording and streaming shows have gained popularity. In addition, people watch less TV in general. A show getting less viewer ratings than it did years ago dosen't mean anything. ALL shows experience such drops in ratings. The rating of any individual episode has no impact on anything, and nothing of value can be read from them. Ratings primarily fluctuate based on what else is going on at that time that people might spend the time on instead. Likewise, people who only watch an episode now and then instead of trying to catch the show weekly typically don't make their decisions on which episode to watch based on whether some preview of it looked exciting or not. And of course, a person's enjoyment of the episode is utterly irrelevant - they won't know if they liked it or not until after they watched them, and viewer ratings show how many watched it on live television, blind, when it aired.

And that's that.

CyberCubed said:
While this obviously doesn't mean anything in terms of the ship, it means people aren't coming back to the anime.

That's what you think. Some people did come back to the anime because of this ship and it's a fact.

CyberCubed said:
Hoenn and to a lesser extent DP were the last two sagas who had relatively high ratings. The anime had a sharp decline in popularity ever since 2009-2010.

Again with the ratings...

Also in terms of Serena in general most of the fandom is mixed since she's not receiving the fanfare May and Dawn had when they were around.

Ok, I really didn't want to bring it up here, but it can't be helped...

Some past complaints:
"I h8 May she replaced Misty she suckz!"
"Dawn is annoying I don't like her!"

Does that remind you of something?

Both May and Dawn also received hate when they debuted in the anime, but later they got the fanfare. I expect the same with Serena.

CyberCubed said:
Amourshipping strives on canon hints but if those die down we're just going to be left with a girl who started off liking Ash and then lost interest,

Yeah, not having canon hints in a few recent episodes means Serena has lost interest in Ash, right?

Last edited:

_Dog

Are you seriously comparing Pokémon anime to the Disney films? And where did you get the idea that Amourshipping is only aimed at kids?

Nothing wrong with that, is there? Pokemon's been compared to many things, such as other shonen animes. Disney isn't only for kids either.

But concerning the ratings, I want to see your claims verified. I know the ratings for the show are quite low, but if what you say really is true, then I need not worry about the show getting cancelled, and what that could mean for AmourShipping (which I think the biggest reason why they're doing this is an attempt to increase ratings, which doesn't seem successful from what I've read and heard, at least compared to other shows).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I can't help thinking about pikachu-buneary shipping. It was canon, popular, one-side and writers turned it down. Please tell they are not going to disapoint fans again. I would be really sad. So let's be optimistic and hope this WON'T happen.

This time we're dealing with human characters, so I think it's a slightly different scenario in my opinion. Still, the writers have dropped side plots before without any remorse, so the future of AmourShipping is uncertain. Regardless, I'm personally trying to live in the moment when it comes to this pairing; I want to enjoy Ash and Serena's interactions without worrying about how it'll end up. :x

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
I think what has people spooked is that this formula is familiar. Give the main girl a goal that is tied to that region and then she leaves at the end of that series. In Amour's case, that's a very delicate and controversial area because of the canon of Serena's crush on Ash (therefore, it seems like the ship which is closest to happen and most of us in this topic want the ship to go canon.), how that could affect it going canon or not, as well as being rather current/having a lot of fans/people actually liking Serena. Best to keep a realistic approach and admit that we don't know what the plan is as the writers have surprised us this series so far.

Well, Misty had canon feelings for Ash, too... But then, they were planning on ending the show after one or two seasons then, so they weren't even thinking about replacing her character at the time. It's different with Serena; I think they definitely wrote it in with plans to resolve it somehow.

In the bottom line we take Amourshipping and other shippings a "plus" to make a 15 year-old anime more interesting. I agree that some people are taking things too seriously, we are talking about a show about Ash's journeys. Our only choice is to enjoy this shipping as much as we can. Don't laugh at yourself, because our crazy "brains" need a little bit of fantasy to run.
Being unsecure is a natural feeling considering the flip flops of these last episodes of XY.
BTW. That was in interesting analysis about psychology of emotions.

I think saying that some people take it too seriously assumes that we can control how we feel about it. I started shipping at about age 7. I started thinking a lot about the ship I liked because it made me happy, it became a constant part of my life, and a big part of myself. Then, when something happened that ruined it in the canon, I felt depressed, and there wasn't anything I could do. I couldn't stop myself from caring about that ship. It was the same with Poke, when Misty left (still is, to a certain extent; no criticism or anything, but I'd have a pretty hard time of it if Amour became canon, and I don't even obsess over Poke anymore. I imagine a lot of Amourshippers would feel the same about Serena leaving). I don't know if I could stop shipping if I tried... Oh, but I laugh at myself in a good way; everything's worse when you take yourself too seriously.

Oh, thanks! I spend way too much time thinking about these kinds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.