• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping (Ash x Serena) General Discussion (SPOILER WARNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Honestly I would never watch a show simply for shipping, you're just bound to set yourself up for disappointment. In any case Serena's crush isn't why I watched XY anyway, but its an interesting subplot just out of curiosity as to why the writers are doing it.

But yeah, watching a show just for shipping is rather odd to me. Especially a show like Pokemon which has virtually no canon couples especially between main characters.

Like I said, she has a different character, as in she's not your typical "sweet and caring girl", say she's the game/manga Serena type. (But to be frank, I really like the game/manga Serena more than the girly girl Serena)

In any case, to answer my own question, No. The childhood back story and crushing are what got me into this ship (Hell, you wouldn't even see me in this thread in the first place).

Next question:
Tying this up to my earlier question, would you still be watching XY even without the "unique" amourshipping? Or was amourshipping the sole reason you were watching the show in the first place?

Hmmm... I was watching Pokémon when I was like 5 years old and 10 years later I (re)watched the whole OS. At some point like in march I read about XY and Serena too. It interested me, because Serena is indeed the first character that has a canonical crush on Ash/Satoshi. I began watching XY and it interested me... Anyway back to the question!

Without this crush and informations I wouldn't hear about XY and i would not watch it. But the characters for me are funny and imterestimg, everyone is part of the show.

dvrandom

Yay! Another German person, i'm German too (hallo):D who else is German?(i know is a bit late... )
Back to amourshipping:
Giving that Ash does love Serena but doesn't know it yet, when is the perfect moment for him to "discover" it? (without any outside help)

Hmm maybe the perfect moment would be in the end of a season or so.
I don't think it would be too early though because of that they want to build up tension and excitement for the shipping :)

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Yay! Another German person, i'm German too (hallo):D who else is German?(i know is a bit late... )
Back to amourshipping:
Giving that Ash does love Serena but doesn't know it yet, when is the perfect moment for him to "discover" it? (without any outside help)

Good question. Well, I'd say it should be by the 5th Gym. Even if Ash realizes that he feels something special for Serena, I can actually see him getting really confused by his own feelings. I think he'd be able to sort this out in enough time to make this ship canon by the end of the League.

P.S. Cool sig, where'd you get it from?

PokeMaster366

Back to amourshipping:

Around the 5th gym would be a good time for confessions, and if that happens, the official start of their relationship (or the the first big couple-like thing) could take place around the 6th gym.

phanpycross

God-king
Back to amourshipping:

Ive been saying this since I joined here.

I think Ash should discover it during his time he is alone with Serena, while he and Clemont are getting ready for their gym battle.

So I agree with Blood Red, basically.

EDIT: and Pokemaster366, the ninja

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Around the 5th gym would be a good time for confessions, and if that happens, the official start of their relationship (or the the first big couple-like thing) could take place around the 6th gym.

The fifth Gym will probably be around mid-2015 in my opinion if the pace keeps up; that's way too soon for romantic confessions from either Ash or Serena in my view. Ash is still oblivious about Serena's crush on him and I can't see that changing within that time frame, and Serena shouldn't randomly reveal her crush unless she feels that Ash likes her back romantically as well in my opinion.

dvrandom

The fifth Gym will probably be around mid-2015 in my opinion if the pace keeps up; that's way too soon for romantic confessions from either Ash or Serena in my view. Ash is still oblivious about Serena's crush on him and I can't see that changing within that time frame, and Serena shouldn't randomly reveal her crush unless she feels that Ash likes her back romantically as well in my opinion.

I agree. If Serena would reveal her crush on ash too early maybe it wouldn't be much excitement for the romantic story-part. But if they would reveal her crush in the end of lets say x&y or something that might be problematic to the fact that Ash usually change traveler companions when its a new generation. HMM I wonder how they are going to plan this out, what will all the fans think of this if you know what I mean. Sure it is a long time to next gen but if they reveal it to late it's going to be painful if they just go separate ways or something.
Ok I maybe derailed a little ^^.

Teebu

Next question:
Tying this up to my earlier question, would you still be watching XY even without the "unique" amourshipping? Or was amourshipping the sole reason you were watching the show in the first place?
I would still watch it, i like watching the anime but just wouldn't be anywhere near as invested in this particular set of characters, they add another layer to the show and makes it a little more interesting to watch in my opinion.

Back to amourshipping:
I'm not German but it's nice to see your location i must admit, that's my neck of the woods :p

onto the question:

It's probably not the best answer for shippers to hear but i think that the best time for them to do that is after the pokemon league has finished and their journeys begin to take them in separate directions. Ash will suddenly realise what his life will be like without her in it and it'll suddenly hit home how much she really does mean to him. They could even leave it as a cliff hanger till the next saga starts (assuming that there will be one) if they havent decided what they are going to do with the two characters, maybe even have them part ways and reunite a few episodes into the next saga or something.

Spectro889

At your assistance.

Pretty much what a lot of other people said.

Amourshipping did indeed get me into the XY series, but I would still be watching XY even if Amourshipping didn't happen in the anime. As we already know, Amourshipping is a romantic sub-plot that isn't the main drive for this anime. I also got into this anime because of the way Ash has matured and also the animation quality being more sharper and better compared to previous.
But yes, primarily because of Amourshipping and how popular it has become made me get engaged into this anime and how it's going to turn out.

Good question though.

Citronic Gear On

やれやれだぜ…
Like I said, she has a different character, as in she's not your typical "sweet and caring girl", say she's the game/manga Serena type. (But to be frank, I really like the game/manga Serena more than the girly girl Serena)

In any case, to answer my own question, No. The childhood back story and crushing are what got me into this ship (Hell, you wouldn't even see me in this thread in the first place).

Next question:

Pretty much what a lot of other people said.

Amourshipping did indeed get me into the XY series, but I would still be watching XY even if Amourshipping didn't happen in the anime. As we already know, Amourshipping is a romantic sub-plot that isn't the main drive for this anime. I also got into this anime because of the way Ash has matured and also the animation quality being more sharper and better compared to previous.
But yes, primarily because of Amourshipping and how popular it has become made me get engaged into this anime and how it's going to turn out.

Good question though.

About what got me into this ship, it's definitely the amount of weight it has received, not really even marketing/promotion but the fact that it's been written into the core fabric of the series. Would I have started watching XY without the ship? Yes, though I probably wouldn't have stayed as interested.

I had stopped watching the anime sometime into the AG saga because it had gotten boring/repetitive, plus I had sort of outgrown it. Every now and then, I would read people's gripes about DP and BW, and they sounded all too similar to the gripes I had regarding AG, so I never bothered resuming watching. A couple of months ago, I was feeling nostalgic, and I read somewhere that the anime was still going after all these years but the animation quality had massively improved. I thought I'd start watching a few episodes again just to see what it was like today. I just happened to choose the beginning of the XY series as my starting point. Little did I know what I was about to watch.

Two episodes in, Ash jumping off the friggin Eiffel Tower of the Pokemon world was eyebrow-raising enough. But when Serena saw Ash on TV and said, "Hmm? That boy, no, it couldn't be!" I was like "Whoaaaa..." I watched a few more episodes with interest. I saw how she basically decided to set out on a journey to reunite with Ash, I saw her having flashbacks of him and blushing while thinking about him, and I saw her entering the Santalune Gym in XY005 and getting excited at seeing Ash ("There he is! It's Ash!"). I was like, "Is she crushing on Ash? Is this for real?" Then, of course, she tried to talk to him after his battle but seemed too shy to shout his name, so he passed right by her without noticing her, and she looked so heartbroken (plus she seemed so nervous/hesitant at first when trying to talk to Ash the rest of that episode). And I was just like "Awwww, that poor girl :( ." I just about freaked out at the end of XY005 when Serena told Ash (with cute romantic-sounding BG music playing): "Uhh...here we go...Ash, do you...remember me?" and they ended it with a cliffhanger. I couldn't believe that this was actually Pokemon. And naturally the flashback to the summer camp scene in XY007 was too adorable, I was all "SQUEEEE!" :D It really brought out the feels. The Pokemon anime had never featured any romance when I had watched it (aside from the playfulness and occasional cute moments between Ash and Misty, some of which were embellished by 4Kids), so all this came as a major shock to me. It seemed like a sign that the anime was about to change course, even if just a bit, from its previous repetitiveness and lackluster writing. Of course the anime's general structure is still largely the same.

Amour was far from being the only thing that grabbed my interest as I watched, and as Spectro889 noted, Amour is but one thread of a much bigger tapestry. The quality of animation is better than when I used to watch. The battle mechanics/strategy in the anime also have gotten much more sophisticated. The writers seem to be giving the main characters and the twerps more camaraderie and depth than I remembered them having in AG — some DP and BW episodes I saw recently seem to suffer from the same problem of "flat" characters. Moreover, I saw some hints in the early XY episodes that Ash seemed serious about winning a league this time, and watching the final episode of BW confirmed that winning a league is now high on Ash's mind. To see Ash finally make progress toward his dream would bring some nice closure to a defining era of childhood, my Pokemon obsession era. Amour would just be icing on the cake for me.

I still have my gripes about the anime, though: the at-times infantile dialogue (it is still geared toward young kids, after all), the painfully over-emphatic pronunciation that the English dub voice actors use, and Team Rocket doing the same crap over and over again. As a result, I'm not sure I would have gotten nearly as far with XY or watched it with the same level of interest without Amour. But no question, I still would have started watching, with or without Amour. I didn't know Serena's crush on Ash existed until I had seen it myself, and, indeed, the very concept of shipping in Pokemon was virtually unknown to me until I decided to do some research on Serena's crush online. That's how I stumbled upon this forum, actually.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm really surprised people watching the anime this gen feel its so different than past gens, aside from Serena's crush. The whole formula of the show is exactly the same as always, and Ash using strategy in battles or evolving his Pokemon happened in the AG and DP sagas too. I think the freshness comes from the fact that Brock is finally gone (he overstayed his welcome by two gens), but otherwise there's not much difference. Then again its probably because a lot of people here haven't watched the anime in years.

Serena's crush was clearly a hook at the beginning of the series, as the writers probably wanted to get people interested in Serena right away without her feeling repetitive (she is the 5th main girl after all). It is likely to take a backseat now that Serena has a goal, so we'll see where it goes. We might see Ash comfort Serena if she loses at her first competition.

I'm really surprised people watching the anime this gen feel its so different than past gens, aside from Serena's crush. The whole formula of the show is exactly the same as always, and Ash using strategy in battles or evolving his Pokemon happened in the AG and DP sagas too.

That's the point. Its different because of Amourshipping. And of course, the background scenes are beautiful and so is the animation. Plus the designs of the Pokemon are actually good compared to Black and White. Its true that Brock was getting a little repetitive in the DP saga (I don't think he outstayed his welcome in the Hoenn saga) but remember Cilan was an epic fail. Now the Pokemon anime relies heavily on filler episodes to keep its longevity, and what better way to keep a slightly older audience interested other than romance for a character they have seen since their childhood? You will have to agree that the AG and DP saga fillers were a tad bit boring sometimes.

I don't think Amourshipping will take the back seat now. In fact I expect it to be reinforced with hints from Ash's side. Remember that while it feels like weeks and months for us, its only a space of one or two episodes. They cannot cram too much Amourshipping or the bubble would pop. It took 7 episodes for Serena to join Ash's group..that's the kind of anticipation they want to build up. Even in the earlier episodes, it was normal to see no hints for 3-4, maybe even 6-7 episodes in a row. Then they'd give us a nice, juicy hint. Like I said before, and like many others say, it will likely reach its critical mass- that is Ash will start realising that Serena isn't like the others around the 5th Gym. We'll see a hint in XY050, then in XY052 IMO. The dream for Serena was to ensure that people don't get turned off by thinking Serena is just amour-bait to lure us in, and that she has no other purpose- which was actually happening. Many people were annoyed that she had no concrete plan. :)

rohitx

Next question:

well i havent played the game nor have i observed magma and about game serena i know bit about it as i have seen the game plays
we already got some non girly female companions back in previous gen.
but in my case i love the serena the way she is
to answer your another question
i have been wathing pokemon anime since i was a little kid and its about 10-12 years ago and i am still watching it.
amourshipping made me wait for each eposides and follow japanese eposide even i dont know it-waiting for subs
but still if there was no amourshipping i would still watch it as it is not the sole reason for me to watch pokemon
i would not wait for each eposide like i wait now

Graham Aker

T We'll see a hint in XY050, then in XY052 IMO. :)

XY50...maybe. But honestly, I think most of that time will be devoted to Serena preparing for her performance with the Nene chick. I don't know why people think there'll be hints in XY52, given that episode will be all about Ash and Sanpei training to fight that ninja CotD/Froakie development. If anything it looks like Serena (and Clemont) will be separated from the group that episode unless they are immediately rescued by Sanpei/Greninja, or the CotD and his Pokemon after falling off the bridge.

taeuknam

Next question:

No. The only reason I started watching the XY series is because I was watching a preview on youtube and when I heard that Serena knew Ash, I almost did a spit take and I was reeled in until XY001 and XY002 came out (simultaneously if you remember). Then I wondered how their first interaction would be and what the nature of their past relation was. Then I hoped they would meet by the next episode, XY003 comes out, nothing. XY004 comes out, nothing. XY005 comes out, ENDS IN A CLIFFHANGER REGARDING IF HE REMEMBERS HER. XY006 comes out, and HE DOESN'T REMEMBER HER!!! Honestly I was super annoyed and disappointed since I had waited 10 weeks since the preview came out and that was the only thing on my mind for that duration of time and he doesn't even remember her and they just brush it off. Then XY007 comes out, and I finally get my resolution to my 11 week obsession and I watched it over and over like 8 times and the next day when the subbed version was released I watched it over and over like 12 times with the subs and it was two days of pure bliss. I then joined Serebii and started writing like a dozen fanfics and obsessed over subsequent hints like the Valentines day Poster and the character relations table. Then, the thread cooled down to around a page/day and I got busy with a course I took and went inactive but now that's done I'm active again and here I am!

A Superficial Question a day keeps pessimism at bay!

Where should Ash and Serena go for their hypothetical honeymoon?

XY50...maybe. But honestly, I think most of that time will be devoted to Serena preparing for her performance with the Nene chick. I don't know why people think there'll be hints in XY52, given that episode will be all about Ash and Sanpei training to fight that ninja CotD/Froakie development. If anything it looks like Serena (and Clemont) will be separated from the group that episode unless they are immediately rescued by Sanpei/Greninja, or the CotD and his Pokemon after falling off the bridge.

Its just a hunch. I mean we've had far more serious episodes which had Amour hints. XY050 may have a hint because its Serena preparing for her performance. Either the hint may be related to that, or due to the other chick trying to flirt with Ash or that sort of thing. Though I expect that it would be some encouragement from Ash.

As to XY052, the expectation is that the evolution of Froakie to Frogadier will have something to do with Serena, even if indirect. Like maybe Team Rocket attacks and target Serena, and Ash jumps in the way or something. I could be wrong, but it has been a while since we saw some hints so I expect the animators will want to include some in those episodes.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
There may be a hint when Serena loses her first competition. Both May and Dawn lost their first Contest so I expect the same for Serena. Serena having a crying scene after she loses with Ash going to reassure her would probably cause her to blush knowing how she feels.

There may be a hint when Serena loses her first competition. Both May and Dawn lost their first Contest so I expect the same for Serena. Serena having a crying scene after she loses with Ash going to reassure her would probably cause her to blush knowing how she feels.

Yep. That's definitely gonna happen. But I'm not sure if XY050 is an actual performance episode. I think she'd just be practising. Nevertheless, I expect Ash to give her some reassurance.

Next question:

In my case it was Amourshipping that got me into XY- the reason I had stopped watching the show was lack of cable (although prior to getting into XY I had started watching DP on Hulu). It was back around February/March that I stumbled across Serena's article on Bulbapedia, and when I saw that it elaborated quite thoroughly on her history with Ash (and how she remembered him after all that time), my initial thought was, "Hey, if all of this is true, then you know she's got to have a thing for Ash." With that in mind, I downloaded the episodes and watched them in succession. Needless to say, it was the bombshell that is XY007 that proved my hunch to be correct.

However, even though it was Amourshipping that piqued my interest in XY in the first place, I would probably still watch it regardless due to me already being in the middle of DP on Hulu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.