• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping General Discussion - V.2 *Spoiler Warning*

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the episode really confirmed ship-wise was that Serena is still too shy to express her feelings to Ash. Which we knew already anyway. She wasn't going to suddenly make a move on Ash in this episode. Anyone who actually expected that....well, I'm sorry?

That's a good point. At least it gives a hope for upcoming episodes in the future :) Serena clearly has a major crush on Ash so I'm hoping their relationship grows from that.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Tbh, I can't imagine that the date episode really foreshadowed any major growth for AmourShipping; if anything, it confirmed my suspicions that Serena's not ready to confess her feelings to Ash and knowing how she is, she probably won't be ready until the end of XY, which is a long way off. I wish that the "date" part of the title had been left out since it ended up doing more harm than good imo.

I'm loving these points. It seems that those who usually are seen to spoil the party make much more sense than the regulars.

The episode was perfectly fine and expected for what it was. If they didn't spoil shippy scenes in the preview like Serena trying to hold Ash's hand or the gift scene at the end you guys would all be raving about it now.

And as said we're only 59 episodes into the saga. If XY goes on as long as AG and DP did we have another 150+ episodes to go. Why any of you expected anything major only 59 episodes in is beyond me.

The episode had tons of shipping, it was just all spoiled in the previews already so people feel disappointed because there was nothing new.

Absolutely. I guess people are forgetting that hints in the preview are hints too. They did appear in the episode, except that you saw it a few days before you saw the episode. It actually had a lot of shipping, and it told us many things- main thing being that they are still interested in reminding people that this ship exists. It is the most heavily pushed ship- let alone the most heavily pushed Ash ship.

Like many say, you have no idea what the OtherShippers wouldn't give to get these many hints in just 60 episodes. If you want to see lists, just go over to Bulbapedia's page, and compare the lengths of the list of hints for the various ships. AmourShipping has more than even Contest- which is the closest ship to canon so far! And that's all in 59 episodes. Contest is done and dusted after more than 180 episodes! I really don't get what you people are complaining about.

Even I did mention that we will only see a hint of Ash's obliviousness taking a hit- which we did! Which brings me to this. Ignore all the hints Ash has given so far, for argument's sake. Has Ash ever given a gift to anyone before out of his own accord? It is a hint if Drew gives flowers to Beautifly (IIRC), but it is nothing if Ash...yes, Ash Ketchum gives a gift to Serena? I hope that if not anything, this episode has brought many AmourShippers to actually appreciate what they have got so far.

Pokeshipping "dried up", in your terms, in Johto because they knew they were going to shuffle the cast a bit in the near future. They gave it an appropriate sendoff/open-ended/what have you and went on. We're not quite at the tail end of XY yet, so better to keep playing this up as it is right now and take in the ratings.

As far as the ribbon goes, sorry guys, but I wouldn't quite put this firmly in the "Ash hint" camp yet. Even disregarding the fact he got it for free and had no use for it himself, he gave it to Serena as a gesture of thanks for her advice from earlier. It was out of reaction to a prior incident because he's such a nice guy.

Not sure what you're trying to put through. Surely if they knew that they were shuffling the cast after Johto, they know whether they are going to do that or not now. The difference is, PokeShipping was far less blatant than AmourShipping was. I know you are going to pounce at me for saying this, but let's face it. It really didn't get any advertising, or it didn't show Misty's crush as canon in any manner. I know you are going to tell me about "implied", but what I'm saying is, PokeShipping wasn't pushed as much as Amour is. Having said all this, it does increase the probability drastically that we'll get a firm ending to this one. Not sure what kind of an ending, but we will get one- an unambiguous one.

That is a huge shift from his usual self. Now we all know that those who help him have his gratitude. But him giving a gift to her was curious. Surely a thanks would've sufficed? And that nose-rub of his...but anyway. I guess we can agree to disagree.

I still wonder why they gave Ash that nervous quirk where he scratches his nose whenever he does something nice to Serena. Even though Ash may still not be aware she likes him, the fact that they show Ash's more intimate interactions with her a sign of nervousness is suggestive.

Ash really does act a lot more gentler with Serena than all other companions. Aside from Misty/Iris, he even had many arguments with May and Dawn over the course of the show, but with Serena its just...calmness.

This is like the fourth post of yours that I agree with in a span of 10 minutes. That's a first! LOL. Anyway, I feel that we have gotten a lot- even from Ash's side for 59 episodes. Anything more than this would've honestly killed the hype for the rest of the season. This AmourShipping subplot will be dragged on till the end of XY, be sure of that, and Ash was oblivious for a long time now. So showing too many hints, or too shippy hints from Ash's side at this point would be a bad idea (for them) and it would show him as OOC. This episode has taken a good step forward, and I think AmourShippers should come to terms with it and thank their stars that they got this much when just a few weeks back, we were discussing about whether the ship was being silently killed off. After all, they could've done that if they had no interest in continuing with it. Now the chances of that happening have been greatly reduced.

People disappointed about the episode, what a shocker *rolls eyes*

I guess:

1.) Serena blushing trying to hold Ash's hand and then playing it off like nothing is wrong.
2.) Serena blushing at Ash on the Mono-Rail.
3.) Serena pouting that Ash left her, because she wanted to spend more time with him.
4.) Serena blushing at Ash giving her a gift and saying she'll treasure it.
5.) Ash giving Serena a gift.

But I guess, since they weren't together for the entire episode it was a complete failure. Go figure.

I think Point 5 is enough to make this episode a success in terms of AmourShipping. But I guess some people just want a fanfic like scenario.

All the episode really confirmed ship-wise was that Serena is still too shy to express her feelings to Ash. Which we knew already anyway. She wasn't going to suddenly make a move on Ash in this episode. Anyone who actually expected that....well, I'm sorry?

Too early in the saga for that. I wouldn't even be sorry if anyone did expect that.

JSLatios

REVIVAL ON 9TH!!!
Today's episode was a real life lesson to me. It taught to keep my expectations low, even when it comes to your most adored thing. This episode was astoundingly disappointing. It had its moments, but I expected more. Much more. It felt like the episode was fast and the actual, quote on quote, date; was probably like 5 minutes long. This is the first time that the writers has disappointed us and I wanted the first XY "disappointment" to be anything other than Amourshipping. Other than this, the episode was pretty entertaining. And Ash tempting to try and catch Dunsparce. Brilliant.

Can't wait for XY60

Today's episode was a real life lesson to me. It taught to keep my expectations low, even when it comes to your most adored thing. This episode was astoundingly disappointing. It had its moments, but I expected more. Much more. It felt like the episode was fast and the actual, quote on quote, date; was probably like 5 minutes long. This is the first time that the writers has disappointed us and I wanted the first XY "disappointment" to be anything other than Amourshipping.

Not really, no. It only taught us that we shouldn't keep our expectations too high. I include myself in it. If I was to be one of the writers and my fanfic was the script, the hype would have ended with XY059. I mean, you read chapter 2 of my fanfic, and you know where it's heading. They are still keeping the suspense here for a series that has just finished the 1/3rd mark. Nothing disappointing there. We got enough.

Anyway, I am not going to try and lift the spirits of AmourShippers anymore. All I can say is, we are getting things that OtherShippers would've begged for at episode 150, let alone episode 50. Especially what we got from Ash's side. Be thankful for that rather than constantly demanding for more. Because we can't get any more than this. (at this point)

Citronic Gear On

やれやれだぜ…
I finally got around to watching the episode a little while ago...here are my thoughts:

I honestly thought this was a solid episode. Overall the preview definitely oversold the shippiness of the episode, but I think that was to be expected at least to some extent. The episode had some cute shippy moments in it, but it didn't go too far with it. Like many other people here, I didn't like Ash running off from Serena so many times. But at the very least it sort of helped set up that cute ending of the episode where Ash gives Serena that blue thingy in the box. On the whole, the writers gave us a small hint from Ash, the usual spaghetti spillage from Serena, and a very cute shot of Ash presenting the gift to Serena while fireworks go off in the background (gave the scene a quasi-romantic feel), and I think that satisfies my expectations.

I realize that some people here are disappointed because they expected more. I had long argued that we shouldn't place firm expectations for what might happen in this episode, especially given how little information we had about it for such a long time. The reason being that it was entirely possible that the title and preview could be overhyped or subject to misinterpretation. I think this serves as an important lesson, to keep expectations in check no matter how convinced we might be that things will go the way we want them to go. But in the end, there are some other positive things to take away from this if you were disappointed in the episode:

1. Amour DID take a step forward, and there's still plenty more things the writers can do with it since they didn't go all-out this time: Frankly, the anime team had a difficult situation here...The right balance to strike to give this episode plenty of hype all while leaving plenty of room for Amour to progress in the future. If the writers had gone full speed ahead with the shipping stuff in this episode (say, by having Ash show some major hints), it would have created some serious pacing problems down the road for Amour. There would be almost no fuel left to feed the ship, even though we're only about one-third of the way through the series right now. If you think about it, they gave us quite a bit here: by showing that Serena's feelings are still strong, by having her ONCE AGAIN give Ash some inspiration (how many times has she done this now?), and then on top of that by having Ash show a nice gesture to her. They even had the camera zoom in on just the two of them as Ash gave Serena the present while fireworks played in the background; that was a really cute (almost kinda romantic) scene, and it served as a direct juxtaposition to the scene where Serena gave Ash a bag of cookies back in XY007:

[imgsize=640]http://i.imgur.com/yKuFvB6.png[/imgsize]

[imgsize=640]http://40.media.tumblr.com/089a907a3fbd2241f5313cadf244c79e/tumblr_njanndb6di1qzrykgo1_1280.jpg[/imgsize]

So I think that the way they played it here — giving us cute scenes from Serena and a nice gesture from Ash (that was a nice homage to the past) but not suddenly showing Ash as super lovey dovey — moves the ship another step forward while still maintaining an element of mystery and not going too far too fast. It's true that the marketers could have tried not putting all the shipping stuff in the preview, but then not as many people would have watched the episode. So the anime crew had a very difficult balancing act to achieve here. I kinda sympathize with them, actually, even though I don't agree with putting so much shippy stuff in the preview.

2. This may not be the last episode where Ash and Serena have alone time: It's clear to me based on the slow, but steady, progress the ship has made that we could possibly see more episodes where Ash and Serena are alone (whether or not they have their Pokemon with them). Even the title of XY059 is suggestive of potential future episodes like this. Should we get those episodes, we'll need to see whether Serena can break out of her shell to be more forthright about her feelings, and whether she can continue inspiring Ash until he slowly begins to realize how important Serena is to him (even if he doesn't start spilling noodles like crazy, which is kind of ridiculous to expect from a shonen hero anyway).

3. There's some symbolism here that I think may be overlooked a bit. The whole idea of the vow tree is that people give gifts to their Pokemon to strengthen their mutual bonds. Part of me thinks that same logic could very well apply to the gifts that people gave to each other. Grace gave a gift to Serena, symbolizing the strenghtening bond between mother and daughter. And, even though that blue ribbon thingy seems a bit underwhelming, the fact that Ash decided to give it to her at the vow tree suggests to me that his bond with her is strengthening. This doesn't mean that Ash is ready to tie the knot with Serena, don't get me wrong, but I would argue that it was a nice thing for the ship. He clearly values Serena quite highly; it may not be in the romantic sense (at least not yet), but the fact that Ash is going out of his way to show this kind of concern and kindness toward Serena is interesting to me.

Last edited:

Tourist Juan

Anyone else thinks that the present ash gave to serena. Is the blue ribbon she is wearing at the ending song?

Maybe...but idk
I would like to think that something more important will happen involving this ribbon other than just wearing it as an accessory.
Thats just my opinion.

Im starting to think those rumors about Serena losing her memories might be true and that the ribbon might be something they use to help her get them back.
The idea is pretty far off but meh...

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
Anyone else thinks that the present ash gave to serena. Is the blue ribbon she is wearing at the ending song?

I'm sure that's just part of the outfit. It's probably just a coincidence, given the fact that her end song dress is blue, and they just needed something to compliment her primary colors. Nothing Major.

cf16polo

hi guys im new in this tread, well to be honest actually i´ve been following it since it started so i know you all, well about today´s episode almost all of us expected to be kind of dissapointing, (which actually happen) im gonna be give you an advice to all of you, dont expect great things to happen on a episode just for it´s title name or a preview, remember the episode when a girl told ash that if he lose a battle against her, he should have to follow her, and all of us expected great things to happen and that episode was realllyyyyyy disapointing, well something similiar happen with today episode, but hey great things happen when we less expect it like in the rhyhorn´s episode or in miette´s episode which had more shiping moments than today´s episode, please keep calm dont get disapointed just for the lame episode we got today we never know what kind of surprises we´ll got in the future.
note: sorry for my english i speak spanish

Navin

MALDREAD
All I will say is that you can have the most promoted ship in the world with constant episode title teases, previews, posters, etc, but if you don't actually show it happening or follow up half-heartedly, then it means absolutely nothing in the end. It's funny how some older ships had nowhere near as much promotion as SatoSere, but yet still did a good job in showing two kids falling for one another.

Anyway, there is still at least another 90 episodes. But rather dumb they make an episode called a "date" but spend most of it with both of them alone doing their own things.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Maybe...but idk
I would like to think that something more important will happen involving this ribbon other than just wearing it as an accessory.
Thats just my opinion.

Im starting to think those rumors about Serena losing her memories might be true and that the ribbon might be something they use to help her get them back.
The idea is pretty far off but meh...

I doubt we'll get a Serena loses her memory arc, I just don't think there's much time for one since she's starting to take her goal more seriously now. I'd rather not see an arc like that anyways even if it does produce some amour hints, as I'd rather that we got hints without anyone losing their memories as that just seems like it'll be a more natural way to go with hints imo.

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
All I will say is that you can have the most promoted ship in the world with constant episode title teases, previews, posters, etc, but if you don't actually show it happening or follow up half-heartedly, then it means absolutely nothing in the end. It's funny how some older ships had nowhere near as much promotion as SatoSere, but yet still did a good job in showing two kids falling for one another.

Anyway, there is still at least another 90 episodes. But rather dumb they make an episode called a "date" but spend most of it with both of them alone doing their own things.

They were never going to pull something major in this here episode. It's still way early. If they decided to make Amourshipping canon one day, they would never do it midway through the series, or else there's not really any anticipation at all for future episodes. I may be way too optimistic here, but I'm still hoping that they will bring this subplot to it's proper end. I also feel as though they are following it up, this episode was no huge disappointment in my eyes.

calvinhobbesliker

Well I think the episode was bad and boring, nothing really happen more than just nice ship tease, Ok I know this is pokemon and nothing truly romantic is going to happen never, but I at least want see something more natural, you know something less fanfic tier.
Like people in 2chan say Iris "date" with Ash feel more natural, honest and interesting than see Serena be a loser.
Well at least Serena is goint to change soon, I hope when she have to leave of the show she become a strong independet Woman.

Out of curiosity, what episode was Ash and Iris's "date" in? I keep seeing it referenced, but I can't find what episode it is on google...

AtemSciv

They were never going to pull something major in this here episode. It's still way early. If they decided to make Amourshipping canon one day, they would never do it midway through the series, or else there's not really any anticipation at all for future episodes. I may be way too optimistic here, but I'm still hoping that they will bring this subplot to it's proper end. I also feel as though they are following it up, this episode was no huge disappointment in my eyes.

Agreed with you and everyone who's said this. Its way too early in the going for them go with a major moment 59 episodes in. If this would have been 159 episodes in, then the cause for concern/disappointment would be way more justified. We got a long to go, yes Ash already 4 soon to be 5 badges, but I expect his progress to slow now that Serena has a goal to work towards as well, you gotta remember this series is kinda unique with the exception of indigo that really all the travel has been for Ash up until now. We're gonna see them going to towns/cities that don't have gyms so that Serena can compete. If the episode go at the current pace Serena is gonna have what? Maybe 2 contests under her belt when Ash will already have 5 badges. She's gonna have alot of work to do if she's gonna hit Master Class before Ash competes in the Kalos league. Point in time we have a long way to here. Lots of time for their relationship to slower grow and develop.

I'll agree with you to a certain point and disagree on other parts. The fact that they bring and promote it shows that's its still a vital/important subplot in the show which is good. But I think at the end of the day long long down the road when XY is over your right it would be all for naught if they layed an egg on it. As far your point goes regarding other ships, I don't you can ever say that Ash was falling for any of the other pokegirls. But I will agree and I think most will the biggest disappointment even we weren't expecting canon today, was that they really didn't spend much time together.

I wonder why people kept saying that this is the first time Satoshi gave a present to his female companion. Didn't he already gave Iris a gift, which is a flower or am I missing things out? (Never saw BW but this is one of the hints for Negai if I can remember correctly)

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Haven't posted here in a while, but I was... curious about this episode, so...

If I were an Amourshipper, I think I would've thought... The ribbon was nice, but what I'd really have wanted to see was Ash blushing at Serena, or getting defensive about being on a "date." That's the sort of thing that's not really major, not like a confession or anything, but which is still a definite hint from that side. I think I would've been... ambivalent about the ribbon. Like, I'd want to believe that it was a shipping hint, but I'd think maybe that was just my bias, and that he was really just trying to give a friend a present to symbolize their friendship. With the fireworks being more about... emphasizing how romantic and memorable this is for Serena, rather than playing up the ship as a whole. As it stands, my ambivalence is rather the opposite, eheh.

Status
Not open for further replies.