• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping General Discussion - V.2 *Spoiler Warning*

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what i see on prev, i think they got seperated from tierno and bonnie and ash serena? but not gonna give high expectation on this one since this is Sliggo Focus Episode..

^this probably contain a hint? maybe? :p

This one scene might actually be a hint. But then again, we don't know if the potential will be used. But I definitely see potential. It may be a Sliggoo focused episode, but we might just get something. After all, XY064 was a Fennekin centric episode, all the gym battles were battle centric. I don't think the character in focus usually affects the chances of hints- unless it is, say, Team Rocket or something like that.

View attachment 14468
Look at that that, they are so close too each other!! I totally ship backpackshipping
OMG, their backpacks are facing each other. It looks like they're kissing! Backpackshipping is canon!!

*cough*
So Tierno and Bonnie might get separated from Ash and Serena, eh? Hmm, not going to expect much since it will focus more on Tierno. I'm just going to expect Ash and Serena teaming up but that's it.

Yuraenia

Call me Qooky :)
View attachment 14468
Look at that that, they are so close too each other!! I totally ship backpackshipping

Just a slight observation, nothing to do with Amour. It could be an animation error but..where is the other strap of Satoshi's backpack? :D

But yeah, there is definitely potential for some Amourshipping hints, albeit they could be small. Nonetheless, I'm actually excited for this episode.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
View attachment 14468

*starts sobbing*
They look so adorable when paired up together. They make such a good team. Now I'm a little more excited for this episode. :p

Also, have some of you seen the new summary for the Black Clembot episode ? Alexa is appearing here! Hoping to see a AmourShipping support hint from her, or a comment on Serena's new haircut. She's the first important character, besides the main cast, who is going to notice it. :D

Last edited:

Dinomeyt

So, We all know that Ash has done a lot of things for Serena that he only did specifically for her but what's your top 5 best Ash hints so far?

I will start my list with a honorable mention to the ending of the English dubbed XY054, where Ash tells Serena at the end, "Let's both pursue our dreams together". Now I give this an honorable mention because this hint on a top 10 Ash list could be very high up on the list or near the bottom depending on the level of interaction Pokemon Company has with Pokemon Company International. Me, Mewtario, and I think Zack went into discussion on this. If Pokemon Company International has to get the blessing/approval of Pokemon Company (Japan) when it comes to scripts used in the episodes, then this line said by Ash is in my top 4 because it implies that Ash wants Serena to be with him beyond Kalos, unless he becomes Champion. If there is no interaction between the two sides, then this loses merit in my book and drops to like number 9 or 10. Now, on to the top 5:

5) The flashback. Ash is the one who holds the hug, not Serena. Find her attractive don't you young Ash?

4) Placing himself in front of Serena to protect her (in the Luxio episode and second Malamar episode).

3) His general concern for her wellbeing. In the ravine, where Serena is thinking about her dream, he asks Serena if she is okay. When Serena seems frustrated in XY053 because of her mother, Ash shows concern for Serena. We saw his concern for her in XY064. Just the amount of care he has for her just makes me say, "Ash, you are finally growing up"

2) Complimenting Serena's new outfit and recognizing the ribbon. Ash noticing these things is out of his nature, and while he has complimented girls looks in the past, he was the only one with a positive reaction.

1) The blue ribbon. I think that this has been everyone's favorite hint from Ash and there is good reason for it. He could have kept it and had zero use of it (kind of like the GS Ball) or he could have given it to Bonnie, who could use her creativity to find some use out of that ribbon. But no, he gives it to Serena while scratching his nose and thanking her for all her help. To me, Ash giving Serena the ribbon tells me that Serena means more to Ash than any other female companion. She means more to him than Misty, May, Dawn, and Iris combined. It's also the first time he has given a gift to a female without being recommended to do so; he chose to give her the ribbon by his own.

Now, that image for next weeks episode. If Ash and Serena are separated from Bonnie and Tierno, there is a possibility of a hint. Most likely, it's going to come from Serena (the Ash hints will come folks. Just be patient. We got a good amount of minor hints from Ash in XY064). However, I am not putting all my eggs into one basket.

Next, I was thinking about that last line Serena says in XY064. The line of "Let's go, Satoshi!" Completely ignoring Bonnie in the process. Which is kind of hard to do because....well....it's Bonnie. However, this line tells me something is going to result in a hint occurring during the gym battle. Now, some of us are saying that Serena is initially going to stay neutral when it comes to who she is cheering for because she doesn't want Bonnie questioning her. However, the fact that she ended XY064 saying "Let's go, Satoshi!" while completely forgetting about Bonnie is an indicator (at least to me) that she is going to be cheering for Ash as soon as Clembot says "Battle Begin" and being nervous for Ash when he is struggling (when Luxray takes out his second to last Pokemon). I don't know why, but I just see her quietly cheering for Ash during the entire battle and then giving off a Cyllage level hint when Ash is knocked down to one more Pokemon remaining. If she clasps her hands together during the middle of the battle, and Bonnie catches it (say she sees it in the corner of her eye), then I think Bonnie has a solid chance of figuring out that Serena likes Ash.

Last edited:

Mewtario

"Shipping" Navigator
View attachment 14468

Aw man, it's been so long, I managed to completely forget about the ships that existed between Ash's hat and Serena's hat, as well as Ash's backpack and Serena's backpack! If I had remembered the "cargo ships," I would have added them onto my list in this post!

Here's a random thought:

With Amourshipping carrying with it the ships between Ash's Pikachu and Serena's Fennekin, Ash's Froakie and Serena's Fennekin, Ash's Frogadier and Serena's Braixen, Ash's Greninja and Serena's Delphox, mirroramourshipping, all of the ships involving their mirror selves and their Pokémons' mirror selves, and a whole bunch of other minor ships, I feel like this is a rather apt visual metaphor for this side of amourshipping:

[img139]http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/2012-03/ShipCarryingShips.jpg[/img139]

The foreground vessel can be whatever non-Amour-related ship you want it to be, for comedic juxtaposition.

The question is, does anyone ship Mirror Ash's backpack with Mirror Serena's backpack? Or how about their hats?

Amourshipping truly is the ship that has ships stacked on top of ships stacked on top of it!

Last edited:

Ikcatcher

Firebird Phoenix
View attachment 14468

OMG BACKPACKSHIPPING IS CONFIRMED CLASS S!!!! CLASS S!!!!!
Ahem,it's a pretty interesting picture but I do have a to wonder
Would there be an amourshipping hint like Ash saving Serena cause they are in the middle of an inferno

Mewtario

"Shipping" Navigator
OMG BACKPACKSHIPPING IS CONFIRMED CLASS S!!!! CLASS S!!!!!
Ahem,it's a pretty interesting picture but I do have a to wonder
Would there be an amourshipping hint like Ash saving Serena cause they are in the middle of an inferno

Great, we have a canon ship between recurring characters and we don't even have a ship name for it that's not taken by something else! Can a canon ship trump a non-canon ship for a name?

PokeHero96

HEY!! It's been a while since I posted on here!

View attachment 14468

Waahoo! look at that :D
If they really are separated from Bonnie and Tierno, I think they could slot in a few minor hints, even if it is just worrying for one another or something. Hopefully, if we're lucky, since there's a fire and probably Pokemon attacking, etc.. we might get to see Ash protecting her like Tierno is apparently protecting Bonnie haven't seen the preview yet or vice versa.

Ballzeh

View attachment 14468

Dayum, this is serious business ! :D

I Hope it will ! Ash saving her, taking her in his arms (or on his back) and going through the fire, would be the best thing for Amour ! In my opinion, it's possible that happens because Ash is kinda reckless :rolleyes:

Or... his Sliggoo, evolving in the very end of the preview, will rescue them both with a Rain Dance...
><'

Anyway, cant wait to see this !!!

jettblakk

Head Hancho
View attachment 14468

Re: If there's any potential hint coming next week, it'll be the Dying Declaration of Love trope. Serena & Ash get trapped, they reassure each other, Serena sees Ash isn't very hopeful, Serena goes: "Hey Ash/Satoshi, I know it's not the best time but I just wanted to tell you...." then Sliggoo comes to the rescue maybe with a Rain Dance and the episode goes as expected with evolution and thus forth. Maybe at the end of the episode after breaking from Tierno Ash/Satoshi asks Serena what she was talking about and she brushes it off or something.

Btw, I'm not saying tropes are bad, would be nice to see them circumvent a trope now and again but then I remember it's pokemon, lol

Mewtario

"Shipping" Navigator
Get ready for another analytic megapost, because I have a hypothesis!

TVTropes, on one of its presumably lesser-visited pages, talks about the difference between what they call "Watsonian" and "Doylist" explanations. To put it briefly, a Watsonian explanation is an explanation within the fictional universe, while a Doylist explanation is one that explains why something happened in the media from the perspective of outside forces that affect the creation of the work itself.

To put this in amourshipping terms, the Watsonian explanation for why Serena has a crush on Ash is... well, we all know the story from camp, and how Serena would later grow up to lack motivation to pursue individual goals thoroughly while Ash does, so she admires his determination, etc.

What might be a Doylist, or outside-of-canon explanation? Well, that's what I'm hypothesizing about!

If we assume that the writers are considering their domestic market first and foremost when writing the show, I believe it to be a reasonable suggestion that Serena's existence in the anime, her crush on Ash, and her hypothetical eventual relationship with him are, from the perspective of the creation of the show itself, at least in part the result of Japan's population crisis, which first rose to public attention at least as early as 2013.

For those who are wondering what the "population crisis" is and don't feel like reading the above link (or the other material I will link in this post), Japan's population is decreasing, and is beginning to skew more towards the elderly.

The cause? A low marriage rate. An extremely low percentage of children are born out of wedlock, and even the number of children per couple is comparatively low. This means that there are simply fewer young people to pay for the social programs of the elderly, and fewer people in the workforce, especially since those women who do marry generally proceed to then drop out of the workforce due to societal pressures. What's more, with their relatively unwelcoming attitude towards immigrants, they can't, as of the current cultural state of the country, bring people in from outside to pick up the slack.

So indeed, the primary cause of the low birthrate is a low marriage rate: far fewer young people are settling down and having children. What is the cause of this cause? The most frequent (and, in my opinion, most reasonable) explanation is the hundreds of thousands, if not one million Japanese citizens on the younger end of the population who have shut themselves in. This rather significant portion of the population has allowed their lives to be so completely consumed by dating sims, video games, anime, and the Internet that they get absolutely no physical face-to-face interaction outside of their own parents, which naturally means bad things down the line in terms of prospects of marrying and having kids.

Because of this, efforts are being made to, as this headline puts it, "encourage[] young people to date and mate."

I hypothesize, based on all of this information, that Pokémon might be trying to do its part to encourage precisely that: the writers presumably know full well that their show is probably watched by children who might be at risk of growing up to be that sort of "shut-in" and/or by young adults who already are. They also would obviously be well-aware of just how popular their show is, especially in Japan. Thus, romantically pairing up a character who has been, and will continue to be, a role model to a lot of kids might encourage those kids to think about the possibility of finding a romantic partner for themselves, which is something that Japan really needs for its economic health. The fact that Serena is from the Pokémon equivalent of France could either be a happy accident or an additional deliberate and subtle decision along these same lines, since, as I mentioned above, it would also benefit Japan to be more welcoming towards foreigners, in part because immigrants will probably be needed to help overcome the workforce shortage that will be caused by the decreasing population.

So there you have it: a possible explanation as to why Amourshipping has a significant chance of going canon, from a real-world perspective!

Last edited:

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Get ready for another analytic megapost, because I have a hypothesis!

TVTropes, on one of its presumably lesser-visited pages, talks about the difference between what they call "Watsonian" and "Doylist" explanations. To put it briefly, a Watsonian explanation is an explanation within the fictional universe, while a Doylist explanation is one that explains why something happened in the media from the perspective of outside forces that affect the creation of the work itself.

To put this in amourshipping terms, the Watsonian explanation for why Serena has a crush on Ash is... well, we all know the story from camp, and how Serena would later grow up to lack motivation to pursue individual goals thoroughly while Ash does, so she admires his determination, etc.

What might be a Doylist, or outside-of-canon explanation? Well, that's what I'm hypothesizing about!

If we assume that the writers are considering their domestic market first and foremost when writing the show, I believe it to be a reasonable suggestion that Serena's existence in the anime, her crush on Ash, and her hypothetical eventual relationship with him are, from the perspective of the creation of the show itself, at least in part the result of Japan's population crisis, which first rose to public attention at least as early as 2013.

For those who are wondering what the "population crisis" is and don't feel like reading the above link (or the other material I will link in this post), Japan's population is decreasing, and is beginning to skew more towards the elderly.

The cause? A low marriage rate. An extremely low percentage of children are born out of wedlock, and even the number of children per couple is comparatively low. This means that there are simply fewer young people to pay for the social programs of the elderly, and fewer people in the workforce, especially since those women who do marry generally proceed to then drop out of the workforce due to societal pressures. What's more, with their relatively unwelcoming attitude towards immigrants, they can't, as of the current cultural state of the country, bring people in from outside to pick up the slack.

So indeed, the primary cause of the low birthrate is a low marriage rate: far fewer young people are settling down and having children. What is the cause of this cause? The most frequent (and, in my opinion, most reasonable) explanation is the hundreds of thousands, if not one million Japanese citizens on the younger end of the population who have shut themselves in. This rather significant portion of the population has allowed their lives to be so completely consumed by dating sims, video games, anime, and the Internet that they get absolutely no physical face-to-face interaction outside of their own parents, which naturally means bad things down the line in terms of prospects of marrying and having kids.

Because of this, efforts are being made to, as this headline puts it, "encourage[] young people to date and mate."

I hypothesize, based on all of this information, that Pokémon might be trying to do its part to encourage precisely that: the writers presumably know full well that their show is probably watched by children who might be at risk of growing up to be that sort of "shut-in" and/or by young adults who already are. They also would obviously be well-aware of just how popular their show is, especially in Japan. Thus, romantically pairing up a character who has been, and will continue to be, a role model to a lot of kids might encourage those kids to think about the possibility of finding a romantic partner for themselves, which is something that Japan really needs for its economic health. The fact that Serena is from the Pokémon equivalent of France could either be a happy accident or an additional deliberate and subtle decision along these same lines, since, as I mentioned above, it would also benefit Japan to be more welcoming towards foreigners, in part because immigrants will probably be needed to help overcome the workforce shortage that will be caused by the decreasing population.

So there you have it: a possible explanation as to why Amourshipping has a significant chance of going canon, from a real-world perspective!

This post is deserving of this. Mewtario, here you go. *hands Mewtario his Postite* This, when held by your posts, will allow them to Mega-Evolve! In months gone by, my posts used to Mega-Evolve, and now, I deem you worthy of continuing such a "tradition". (sorry, I ran out of words as I wrote this, but didn't want to leave it unfinished.)

Now my top 5 Amour hints (in no specific order):
5. the Diancie movie. The hand-holding log crossing.
4. As I stated previously, I simply love Ash's "impossible thought" face. And I choose the scene where Serena dresses up as a Fennekin, and Ash's expression that follows.
3. XY040, Ash and Serena fall down the cliff, yadda yadda yadda. When she has the cloth on Ash's foot, she lingers her fingeres on Ash's foot. (not sure if explained correctly)
2. Ash protects Serena from being hit with Luxio's Thunderbolt on XY048, IIRC.
1. The Ribbon Episodes (good name, huh?)

Mewtario

"Shipping" Navigator
Adding in one more brief but rather significant thought, the explanation I propose, that the romance element is a part of a larger-scale encouragement to try to end Japan's negative population growth, is further supported when you realize that not only has the anime recently picked up romantic undertones, but so too have the four most recent Pokémon games, as well as the Mega Evolution specials.

Adding in one more brief but rather significant thought, the explanation I propose, that the romance element is a part of a larger-scale encouragement to try to end Japan's negative population growth, is further supported when you realize that not only has the anime recently picked up romantic undertones, but so too have the four most recent Pokémon games, as well as the Mega Evolution specials.

Oh gosh, When XY was in about the 26rd episode, I thought why Amour was being pushed very hard by the writers and I had in mind the Japanese demographic crisis thing that is affecting very badly to the Kodomo group. However, I brushed off that thought because it was kinda early in the generation.

Yet, given the harder push the production commitee is giving to ren'ai subplots (AraMano & SatoSere), the demographic crisis' theory is steadily gaining force, IIRC, the 1st glimpses of a population collapse in Japan were seen after the East-Tohoku great Earthquake, but the crisis began to be more public in late-2012 and early-2013's (more or less when XY Anime was being planned). And given the situation is getting worse every year, anime producers are including the ren'ai element, just for encouraging the Kodomo and Shounen/Shoujo demographics to mate and, in a very harsh way to say it, to grow the hell up, get a life and grow out of their self-centerness and their otaku tendencies, thus with that, to save Japan from a major economic collapse because of the decreasing population (that's why Kishimoto decided to make a shipping fest of an epilogue in Naruto, Oda is starting to consider romance in a zany way in One Piece, and pretty much Shueisha started to encourage authors to write romantic comedies and shipping subplots in shounen magazines).

So, it won'be a surprise if Satoshi grows up and starts to notice Serena, just to send a "grow up and save your country" message to the 7-10 ys old pokeani viewers. Given that XY!Satoshi is pretty much well loved by japanese fans and he's kinda a self-insert character, so, when kids start to see his role model dating and breaking his dense shell, they would imitate him.

Hey Amourians!

[img139]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah205/Setsuna_F_Seiei07/a5PXbdE_700b_v1_zpsigowcbg7.jpg[/img139]

Just for fun:
Describe how you feel about amourshipping using a meme.

Ikcatcher

Firebird Phoenix
Hey Amourians!

[img139]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah205/Setsuna_F_Seiei07/a5PXbdE_700b_v1_zpsigowcbg7.jpg[/img139]

Just for fun:

You want to know how I feel about amourshipping in a meme?

image.jpg

Edit:As of writing this it's midnight on my birthday :D Here's to another year for me in this thread

Last edited:

Dinomeyt

This one is very easy to answer yet very tough at the same time. I say this because you are asking for the emotions that we have for amourshipping and unless we are all trolling one another (which would be hilarious), most of us are going to have the same emotions: we are excited for it, we ship it, we find it to be adorable, and we hope it goes canon from both sides. Now, if you had asked the question of What is your favorite Amourshipping-based meme, then my answer is this: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/213/4/9/serena_meme_by_lunadude1996-d7t9t72.jpg. Sadly, you and Ikcatcher answered the question you asked (off topic, anyone notice that Ikcatcher's skeleton image has TWO mouses yet ONE keyboard. Just an observation)

Now, I have a question for all of you. Imagine you are in this scenario: a friend or some random stranger comes up to you. They have been into the Pokemon anime for a very long time (let's say they have been there since the original series, like most of us on here have been) yet they were hesitant to ship Ash with anyone, because they didn't give any thought into shipping. Now, said person comes to you and says, "I want to get into shipping Ash with a female companion" Note that he/she does not specify which female companion he/she wants to ship Ash with. That means they are willing to ship Ash with any of Ash's female companions (yes, even Iris...Okay, I do apologize that I hate on Iris as much as I do, but she made me hate BW so she is getting her just desserts). As an amourshipper, your goal is to make this person an Amourshipper/choose SerenaxAsh over all the other possible pairings. So now the question: What would you do to convince this person to become an amourshipper? Would you show them a specific scene? A specific episode? A Youtube video? Artwork (i.e. the poster from Animedia Magazine)? Remember, your job is to get them hooked into Amourshipping.

Edit: I should make it important that you only need to give one thing. You do not have to give an individual scene, an episode, a video, and a piece of artwork plus anything else you can think of. Just think of one and briefly explain why you would use it. Or you can make an essay out of it, your choice

Last edited:

JSLatios

REVIVAL ON 9TH!!!
This one is very easy to answer yet very tough at the same time. I say this because you are asking for the emotions that we have for amourshipping and unless we are all trolling one another (which would be hilarious), most of us are going to have the same emotions: we are excited for it, we ship it, we find it to be adorable, and we hope it goes canon from both sides. Now, if you had asked the question of What is your favorite Amourshipping-based meme, then my answer is this: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/213/4/9/serena_meme_by_lunadude1996-d7t9t72.jpg. Sadly, you and Ikcatcher answered the question you asked (off topic, anyone notice that Ikcatcher's skeleton image has TWO mouses yet ONE keyboard. Just an observation)

Now, I have a question for all of you. Imagine you are in this scenario: a friend or some random stranger comes up to you. They have been into the Pokemon anime for a very long time (let's say they have been there since the original series, like most of us on here have been) yet they were hesitant to ship Ash with anyone, because they didn't give any thought into shipping. Now, said person comes to you and says, "I want to get into shipping Ash with a female companion" Note that he/she does not specify which female companion he/she wants to ship Ash with. That means they are willing to ship Ash with any of Ash's female companions (yes, even Iris...Okay, I do apologize that I hate on Iris as much as I do, but she made me hate BW so she is getting her just desserts). As an amourshipper, your goal is to make this person an Amourshipper/choose SerenaxAsh over all the other possible pairings. So now the question: What would you do to convince this person to become an amourshipper? Would you show them a specific scene? A specific episode? A Youtube video? Artwork (i.e. the poster from Animedia Magazine)? Remember, your job is to get them hooked into Amourshipping.

The flashback between Ash and Serena because it's all lovey-dubby and such. Episode 2 because it's the start of signs. The first Amourshipping poster and the Japanese title for XY59

Status
Not open for further replies.