• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

jay99

Now? Yes. In the show's entire history? Not even close
And "now" comes with a huge qualifier in that it only counts people who still actively watch the show. If you did a big poll now that tried to determine which female companion was the most popular among both active and non-active viewers, Serena wouldn't come close to winning.

That poll also has a shipping portion, the largest of its kind I have ever seen, that some of you guys can check out to manage your expectations of how popular you think Amourshipping is, versus how popular it actually is.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
And "now" comes with a huge qualifier in that it only counts people who still actively watch the show. If you did a big poll now that tried to determine which female companion was the most popular among both active and non-active viewers, Serena wouldn't come close to winning.

That poll also has a shipping portion, the largest of its kind I have ever seen, that some of you guys can check out to manage your expectations of how popular you think Amourshipping is, versus how popular it actually is.

An American website accessed by loads of people who never watched anything beyond Gen 1 isn't what I'll call an accurate reflection. Am I saying that Serena should be the most popular? Definitely not. But that Poll doesn't mean anything since it's target audience is heavily skewed.

Furthermore, it is the reactions of the Japanese crowd that matters the most. And a recent poll done in Japan that was mostly answered by adults put Serena ahead of Misty, May, and Dawn, and only behind Brock as to which companion they wanted to see again.

Everything12

Didn't that poll only have 851 people voting which is pitiful for Pokemon even this forum has half of that online right now and the anime has millions of viewers watching it in Kanto alone.

jay99

An American website accessed by loads of people who never watched anything beyond Gen 1 isn't what I'll call an accurate reflection.
It's the textbook definition of that phrase, you don't get to exclude people just because you know they're likely to go against what you believe. Excluding the bulk of the fanbase that didn't care or even know about XY just so the poll reflects your own beliefs is the only type of skewed polling that commonly gets banted around here. For example:

Furthermore, it is the reactions of the Japanese crowd that matters the most. And a recent poll done in Japan that was mostly answered by adults put Serena ahead of Misty, May, and Dawn, and only behind Brock as to which companion they wanted to see again.
The poll that was done on an otaku website that had less than nine hundred votes? You do see how doing such a small poll would never get you an accurate representation of what the entire fanbase thinks right? You're exponentially more likely to be polling active viewers with a poll as small as that, on a website as niche as that, than you are on a social media giant like buzzfeed in a poll that had around eighty-thousand votes.

What? You guys got nothing much to talk about and decided to go with character popularity, which has nothing to do with the topic anymore? And since when did popularity affected a shipping? As far as I know, if the anime staff doesn't want a shipping to happen, then it ain't happening. At least they got the balls to pull off a 'kiss' even though that doesn't seal anything.

Heekful

What? You guys got nothing much to talk about and decided to go with character popularity, which has nothing to do with the topic anymore? And since when did popularity affected a shipping? As far as I know, if the anime staff doesn't want a shipping to happen, then it ain't happening. At least they got the balls to pull off a 'kiss' even though that doesn't seal anything.

Character's popularity is in a way on topic since if a character is really popular, the higher up can get the order to bring a character back so if this character is back = more shipping moments but I don't see Serena coming back no matter how high her popularity is since Yajima is not there and he is the only one who can write a continuity for Amourshipping imo since he is the one who closed the book in XY&Z 47.

Now, it's funny how people try to discredit the recent 20th anniversary poll where Serena got 2nd while it's probably the only accurate poll you can make in a big country like Japan and all the Japanese don't watch Pokemon obviously... I'm pretty sure that if another character would have got the 2nd place nobody would have a problem with it.
The 20th anniversary big poll had also a poll about the favorite movies of Japanese fans where Latias & Latios movie got an unexpected 2nd place, guess what is the movie Japanese chose to broadcast on TV Tokyo soon ? Latios and Latias movie. Accurate.

Everything12

Were not discrediting it because Serena was second we are discrediting it because it had less than 900 votes for the anime which regularly gets millions of viewers.

jay99

"I'm pretty sure that if another character would have got the 2nd place nobody would have a problem with it" is projection; the only reason it even gets brought up here as accurate is because it has Serena in second and first among the girls. And the fact that this small poll and the official poll (the voting size of which we don't know, but presumably more than that website's poll) have different winners should be enough to tell you that the character poll isn't anywhere near and end-all, be-all determination of what everyone thinks.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
I think it's time for people who don't believe in Amourshipping and/or don't want it to happen to withdraw from this thread indefinitely.

While XY was still airing it made sense to leave the doors open for everyone, including skeptics and critics, because Amour was a real and tangible subplot that everyone should've had the right to discuss.

But XY is over now. Serena is gone and the number of cameos and reappearances, if there are any at all, we'll be able to count on one hand. Even if there is still Amour material sometime down the road, 1) it won't be in the near future and 2) it won't be this large, long-running subplot that it used to be during XY's run. Letting everyone and their mom leave their two cents is simply not warranted or necessary anymore.

People who aren't invested in Amour and/or Serena really should have no reason to continue coming here and derail discussions between the small community that's left. I think it's only fair that, with decreasing activity and the clique of supporters gradually getting smaller, we let the few that still have hope or things to talk about discuss in peace.

The last couple of pages are just full of people feeling the need to defend themselves and their positivity, and it shouldn't be like that. So please, if you're only here to shoot others down and spread negativity towards Amour, just give it a rest.

That's not to say every post here needs to be sunshine and rainbows from now on. People can still point out if someone's reunion scenarios are unrealistic or OOC, or talk about Ash's or Serena's flaws with regard to the ship, or flaws of the ship itself. But I'll be taking note of Debbie Downers whose sole purpose is to sour the mood and kill the light-heartedness of discussions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
There's no argument that Misty and Brock are the fan favorites in west but you can't also argue that Serena, along with Dawn are also popular characters especially in Japan.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/10/the-pokmon-anime-character-fans-want-to-return/

And while Serena was 2nd in the last poll (behind Brock), she is still no.1 in terms of main heroine in that list.

Also, Misty and Brock were favorites due to nostalgia, whereas Serena and Dawn were favorites due to their character developments and having goals that they can share spotlight with Ash. I'm not ditching Brock and Misty's characters but Serena and Dawn's popularity is due to that.

But yeah, I don't think a character popularity will affect how a shipping would end and seeing as how Pokemon is a non romance anime, the closest one that we got for a shipping is a kiss and Yajima was brave enough to let that happen even if it's off-screen, lolz.

I won't argue about the lifespan of Serena's popularity but remember how she was written in the anime and a lot of fans were positive about it since it was the first time they attempted a childhood backstory that came with romantic subplot for the main characters and remember how it ended which according to Shoko Nakagawa-san and some few other fans, "changed" the course of the anime's history, lolz.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Amour was the first time that the anime ever took a consistent relationship/crush arc for longer than two episodes or so.

"It's the only pairing with a hint that can't simply be dismissed as shippers reading into it too far, no matter how you view it."

That's not even true.

Why?

"I would dare to contest that Amour wasn't really more one-sided than most other Ash pairings, it just appeared to be next to the sheer magnitude of Serena. If amour was truly one sided then all the other big ones are "zero sided" fan concepts (no hate)...Ash didn't have any when it's not the case (watch XY&Z 45 if you want to watch a whole episode focused on Ash's side"

This is a poor explanation. Anything that is clear will always stick out, especially coming from Ash. This isn't me being "negative" either. There's a difference between unambiguous stuff from Serena, and stuff from Ash that could be due to his overly friendly and supportive nature. Not saying there wasn't anything from him though. I do agree that it might be the case of writer's intent that this was supposed to be budding love story, but the execution was so mediocre that it ended up the way it did.

XY&Z 45: Ash cheers up Serena by asking her for a battle. That's another interpretation, not anything definitive.

Last edited:
What Sushi said is 100% correct

We already have a small community, why are you coming in and discrediting us? I'm looking at several of you, you know who you are.

Negative discussion for a ship that you don't even ship, plus the fact that XY/XYZ is over is completely rude

Last edited:

Heekful

This is a poor explanation. Anything that is clear will always stick out, especially coming from Ash. This isn't me being "negative" either. There's a difference between unambiguous stuff from Serena, and stuff from Ash that could be due to his overly friendly and supportive nature. Not saying there wasn't anything from him though.

If I follow your point , all the others Ash shipping have no Ash's hints? Since Ash never really shown affection towards a girl (except maybe Misty and the random school girl) and the only hints he has shown always was his supportive nature. Oh yeah when it's Amourshipping it doesn't work I forgot that when it's about Amour Ash needs to be gaga over Serena and be out of character.

I do agree that it might be the case of writer's intent that this was supposed to be budding love story, but the execution was so mediocre that it ended up the way it did.

"It ended up the way it did" A kiss is a bad end for a shipping? And you said that you are not negative ? What did you wanted ? A wedding ? Ash confessing even if he doesn't even know the concept of love ?

XY&Z 45: Ash cheers up Serena by asking her for a battle. That's another interpretation, not anything definitive.

So XY&Z 45 is just "Ash asking Serena for a battle" ? Did we watch the same episode ? He asked her to "hang out" with him , he tried to cheer her up by doing shopping and going for a "date" (the things Serena normally likes) but he noticed that it didn't work so he asked her for a battle because he only had the battle left since he tried all the things she likes... After the battle was done he complimented her and her Pokemon and said "I will always be rooting for you Serena" meaning that he'll always try to cheer her up when she will again feeling sad and that he will always support her whatever her choice is.

So... Is this not a hint for you? Is it just Ash asking randomly Serena to a battle like you described ? Everytime I see you here you try to be negative and reduce this ship as "100% Serena's hints, Ash doesn't even know she exists" so if you don't like the shipping why are you there just to put the shipping down ? Just follow the post above and leave.

Last edited:
If I follow your point , all the others Ash shipping have no Ash's hints? Since Ash never really shown affection towards a girl (except maybe Misty and the random school girl) and the only hints he has shown always was his supportive nature. Oh yeah when it's Amourshipping it doesn't work I forgot it's true that when it's Amour Ash needs to be gaga over Serena and be out of character.

"It ended up the way it did" A kiss is a bad end for a shipping? And you said that you are not negative ? What did you wanted ? A wedding ? Ash confessing even if he doesn't even know the concept of love ?

So XY&Z 45 is just "Ash asking Serena for a battle" ? Did we watch the same episode ? He asked her to "hang out" with him , he tried to cheers her up by doing shopping and going for a "date" (the things Serena normally likes) but he noticed that it didn't work so he asked her for a battle because he only had the battle left since he tried all the things she likes... After the battle was done he complimented her and her Pokemon and said "I will always be rooting for you Serena" meaning that he'll always try to cheer her up when she will again feeling bad and that he will always support her whatever her choice is.

So... Is this not a hint for you? Is it just Ash asking randomly Serena to a battle like you described ? Everytime I see you here you try to be negative and reduce this ship as "100% Serena's hints, Ash doesn't even know she exists" so if you don't like the shipping why are you there just to put the shipping down ? Just follow the post above and leave.

Heekful, its fine.

You heard what Sushi said...

Let them say what they wish to say

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
You can use my name if you want to Heekful, it's fine.

Here's a topic of lively debate, if y'all really need something to discuss.

Given Dawn's longer-than-average tenure in Best Wishes and Iris being completely forgotten in XY, do you believe that Serena will reappear in SM, and for how long?

You can use my name if you want to Heekful, it's fine.

Here's a topic of lively debate, if y'all really need something to discuss.

Given Dawn's longer-than-average tenure in Best Wishes and Iris being completely forgotten in XY, do you believe that Serena will reappear in SM, and for how long?

8-15 epiodes

my other post on the topic might have been too much

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
8-15 epiodes

my other post on the topic might have been too much

I noticed it on the SS, which is part of why I asked over here at all lol.

I feel like it's going to be on one extreme or the other. Either she comes back for an extended period of time like 8-10 episodes, or she doesn't come back at all. I couldn't imagine Serena on May's 4 episodes or Misty's 2x2.

I noticed it on the SS, which is part of why I asked over here at all lol.

I feel like it's going to be on one extreme or the other. Either she comes back for an extended period of time like 8-10 episodes, or she doesn't come back at all. I couldn't imagine Serena on May's 4 episodes or Misty's 2x2.

Yeah, if Alola has a showcase type thing as well, it might give more reason for her to stay longer

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah, if Alola has a showcase type thing as well, it might give more reason for her to stay longer

Rather than there already being showcases in Alola, I think what would be even better is if Serena is in Alola specially to promote Showcases, where there could be an event. All the characters and Ash hear about this and go to the event, and that's how Ash meets Serena again. With this, I feel it gives Serena a better reason to stay for a longer period of time if she returns.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager

Or heck, there's no reason why it couldn't just be hosting the Grand Festival. That was the excuse to bring May into Sinnoh, as well as the reason why Dawn was in transit through Unova.

You know, the really funny thing about uSM is that it can add just about anything it wants to, and that will be brought into the anime to be promoted. They want to add contests, they can do it. They want to add showcases, they can do it. If they want to take a third option (a lot of people wanted Mallow to have an arc in Pokemon sporting events before we knew literally anything about her character or the SM anime in general), they can do that too. The really funny thing is that if they feel like forcing Serena back into the scene for whatever reason, that's an open option. After all, it's pretty hard to have Ash-Greninja without having Ash himself, and we all know by now that Masuda is personally an AmourShipper.