• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
IMO, people exaggerate XY Ash as how he was always looked up to and could do no wrong. He was a lot more mellow sure, in terms of getting into arguments or being stubborn, but in XY especially (not XYZ), he did do stupid things as well. As you've said, he's still not smart, since he couldn't explain evolution and resulted in Serena sighing in exasperation, he said he wished that he could understand what Pokevision was in episode 21, him always getting excited at Clemont's failed inventions, etc. So I personally believe Serena has seen plenty of Ash's flaws and shortcomings as well which some people don't think so, but just that since she always did like him, she might have accepted them way faster and those silly flaws of his don't irk her.

Exactly. If Serena only loved the ideal version of him, then she's a prick. Simple as that. Even then, she does know how dependent Ash is on his friends. Didn't she do the laundry, half the cooking with Clemont, and other things?

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
I don't see anything wrong with Serena interacting with SM Ash. I agree with those who said that even XY Ash has his goofy moments but not just portrayed as often as SM Ash did. Besides that, even SM had its serious moments as well so I don't think that they'll just portray Ash as an oddball for the rest of the series. My only problem with the theory of Serena coming back in SM is that it would affect her farewell from the last episode of XY&Z.

AshSerena

I don't see anything wrong with Serena interacting with SM Ash. I agree with those who said that even XY Ash has his goofy moments but not just portrayed as often as SM Ash did. Besides that, even SM had its serious moments as well so I don't think that they'll just portray Ash as an oddball for the rest of the series. My only problem with the theory of Serena coming back in SM is that it would affect her farewell from the last episode of XY&Z.

I agree, while I wan to see her soon back, there also part of me I don't want
I saw someone said on Twitter that people wants her to back in SM but be careful that you guys might not get what you want or it might even worse

I'm not the guy who posted that, but my last post in this thread says the exact same thing pretty much.

Edit: that is, if I'm understanding the post correctly.

Yeah I think it was you xD , I'm sorry I just woke up when I posted this

Last edited:

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I agree, while I wan to see her soon back, there also part of me I don't want
I saw someone said on Twitter that people wants her to back in SM but be careful that you guys might not get what you want or it might even worse

I'm not the guy who posted that, but my last post in this thread says the exact same thing pretty much.

Edit: that is, if I'm understanding the post correctly.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Well obviously it was less than in OS, but that has to be expected after traveling for six generations. What I'm trying to say is that unlike what people claim, XY Ash might have definitely matured, but he retained his core characteristics such as being innocent and naive, but except they were a lot less, and he as a person was lot more level headed.

So you think it would have been similar if it was Serena instead of Misty/Iris in OS/BW? Ash being 'inspirational' was a major part of their dynamic, and he wasn't exactly that in those series. Seems like there would have been a lot more snowball scenes.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
So you think it would have been similar if it was Serena instead of Misty/Iris in OS/BW? Ash being 'inspirational' was a major part of their dynamic, and he wasn't exactly that in those series. Seems like there would have been a lot more snowball scenes.

Tough to say tbh. Cause Ash's personality is one thing, but we have to factor in Serena's personality as well. If it was OS/BW Ash, but Serena's personality was the same as what she was in XY, I still think the arguing and bickering would have been way lower than Misty/Iris. Serena would have just shown more exasperated moments at his stupidity, and yeah, maybe a couple of more fight scenes, but nothing along the lines of Misty and Iris.

I think this is the reason people are iffy about Serena returning to SM, not because we don't think she'll still like Ash in SM, but rather they'll most likely have to change her personality quite a bit as well to match SM Ash's and the tone of the series in general. And given the fairly negative impression of SM Ash's personality, majority of us don't want to see something similar happen to her.

But with the huge news of Misty's return which none of us would have expected, I'm keen to see how they make her act in SM, along with SM Ash. If they are able to pull it off fairly well, it gives me greater confidence in how they could handle Serena in SM if she returns.

Navin

MALDREAD
Tough to say tbh. Cause Ash's personality is one thing, but we have to factor in Serena's personality as well. If it was OS/BW Ash, but Serena's personality was the same as what she was in XY, I still think the arguing and bickering would have been way lower than Misty/Iris. Serena would have just shown more exasperated moments at his stupidity, and yeah, maybe a couple of more fight scenes, but nothing along the lines of Misty and Iris.

She was rather sassy in the first two episodes (which give us all hope that there would be a lot of banter....which sadly never happened), and one the very few times Ash acted mopey/immature (which happened a bunch of times in OS), she threw snowballs and stormed off, so it might have been more similar to Misty/Iris actually.

I think this is the reason people are iffy about Serena returning to SM, not because we don't think she'll still like Ash in SM, but rather they'll most likely have to change her personality quite a bit as well to match SM Ash's and the tone of the series in general. And given the fairly negative impression of SM Ash's personality, majority of us don't want to see something similar happen to her. But with the huge news of Misty's return which none of us would have expected, I'm keen to see how they make her act in SM, along with SM Ash. If they are able to pull it off fairly well, it gives me greater confidence in how they could handle Serena in SM if she returns.

Some, like Datsright, would argue it'd be better to put her in a series where Ash isn't some cool, 'inspirational', heroic figure.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
She was rather sassy in the first two episodes (which give us all hope that there would be a lot of banter....which sadly never happened), and one the very few times Ash acted mopey/immature (which happened a bunch of times in OS), she threw snowballs and stormed off, so it might have been more similar to Misty/Iris actually.

She was sassy to her mother since it's clear those two didn't exactly see eye to eye about her goal and the fact that her mother kept forcing her to practice Rhyhorn racing. I personally never saw why her sass towards her mother would've translated to the same towards Ash.

The XY moment of Ash acting immature was quite different to OS or BW though. In XY, he was genuinely disappointed and his head was in a mess, but most of OS/BW Ash's immature moments were played for laughs, like Ash does something stupid, and Misty would just mallet him, or Iris would call him a kid, so I don't think we can compare the XY immature moment to the OS/BW one.

Some, like Datsright, would argue it'd be better to put her in a series where Ash isn't some cool, 'inspirational', heroic figure.

That's his opinion, though majority of us here wouldn't. As I've said, it's simply not Ash that has been changed in SM, but if Serena has to return, they'll definitely have to change her as well to match the SM tone, something most of us are really iffy about.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Traveling a lot shouldn't make someone a near-Stu.
Through one's journeys, one's experiences, one hardships, he/she should logically learn more and get rid of his/her imperfections/correct his/her flaws. The attitude of a student of a primary school and a student of an university aren't supposed to be similar, are they?

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Because somehow you have data from 1997-2002 that proves this? Lol.

Serena was just crowned the 18th most cutest anime girl in a poll conducted in year 2015 and the best girl from pokemon anime with short hair. something that no other pokegirl has achieved. Besides it is already in wkipidea page that misty represents more western girl than japanese girl. This years poll had serena ahead of misty in companions poll and most of people there voting were aged between 20-29 years. Misty during johto series was least popular as compared to ash, brock and TR, that is one of the big reason she was the only one to be axed.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Through one's journeys, one's experiences, one hardships, he/she should logically learn more and get rid of his/her imperfections/correct his/her flaws. The attitude of a student of a primary school and a student of an university aren't supposed to be similar, are they?

I've found that removing imperfections sometimes creates even more imperfections because the solution itself is imperfect.

Navin

MALDREAD
The XY moment of Ash acting immature was quite different to OS or BW though. In XY, he was genuinely disappointed and his head was in a mess, but most of OS/BW Ash's immature moments were played for laughs, like Ash does something stupid, and Misty would just mallet him, or Iris would call him a kid, so I don't think we can compare the XY immature moment to the OS/BW one.

Well then, how would she react to those played-for-laughs immature moments?

That's his opinion, though majority of us here wouldn't. As I've said, it's simply not Ash that has been changed in SM, but if Serena has to return, they'll definitely have to change her as well to match the SM tone, something most of us are really iffy about.

I think it would make for better banter. Too many of their conversations were serious and about goals.

Serena was just crowned the 18th most cutest anime girl in a poll conducted in year 2015 and the best girl from pokemon anime with short hair. something that no other pokegirl has achieved. Besides it is already in wkipidea page that misty represents more western girl than japanese girl. This years poll had serena ahead of misty in companions poll and most of people there voting were aged between 20-29 years. Misty during johto series was least popular as compared to ash, brock and TR, that is one of the big reason she was the only one to be axed.

I don't think I should have to explain some of the flawed deductions behind those polls...

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well then, how would she react to those played-for-laughs immature moments?

Well as I said, she would have exasperated a lot more at his dumba** moments, but she would've still found him endearing. Since she's more mellow than Misty and Iris, there is no way she would've malleted him or insulted him for his stupidity, unless it's a repeat of the winding woods episode where it's more serious and personal.

I think it would make for better banter. Too many of their conversations were serious and about goals.

Banter and all would've worked with AG Ash the best imo, since Ash himself was witty.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I don't think I should have to explain some of the flawed deductions behind those polls...

You don't have to I just proved that serena is more popular in japan during XY than misty was in japan during OS. None of the pokegirl (even dawn) has gotten any high ranking in anime polls in nation and yet serena got 18th rank in best girl with short hair.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Well as I said, she would have exasperated a lot more at his dumba** moments, but she would've still found him endearing. Since she's more mellow than Misty and Iris, there is no way she would've malleted him or insulted him for his stupidity, unless it's a repeat of the winding woods episode where it's more serious and personal.

To be fair, XY was tonally different from both series so there could have been a lot more light-hearted WW-esque moments.

Banter and all would've worked with AG Ash the best imo, since Ash himself was witty.

Agreed.

You don't have to I just proved that serena is more popular in japan during XY than misty was in japan during OS. None of the pokegirl (even dawn) has gotten any high ranking in anime polls in nation and yet serena got 18th rank in best girl with short hair.

Yeah...because Serena was the most recent Pokegirl, and of course made popular by the shipping. Doesn't make her the most popular of all time (unless you have poll data from 1997-2002 when Pokemon was the craze); that's not a claim you can or should be making.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
To be fair, XY was tonally different from both series so there could have been a lot more light-hearted WW-esque moments.

Agreed.

Yeah...because Serena was the most recent Pokegirl, and of course made popular by the shipping. Doesn't make her the most popular of all time (unless you have poll data from 1997-2002 when Pokemon was the craze); that's not a claim you can or should be making.

In 2013 poll misty was ranked at number 5 and jessie at number 10 in the poll for best pokegirl. Dawn, may, iris and cynthia were the top 4 girls ahead of misty. Lol by your logic dawn was already written out girl, may was written out in 2006 and only iris was the current girl, then why did may and dawn were ranked way higher than misty and the demographic of the poll was most of the people in the poll were aged either in late teens or were in 20's. Most of the people were well versed with OS and misty but still misty got the least votes for pokegirl.

Sorry but japanese people dont vote just for being the recent but for there overall contribution to the series. May and dawn contributed more to the series than misty ever did.
Pokemon like pikachu and charizard are still considered one of the iconic pokemon snd always scores high in the poll because they have gone thrugh the best chemistry with ash and development in the anime.

Navin

MALDREAD
In 2013 poll misty was ranked at number 5 and jessie at number 10 in the poll for best pokegirl. Dawn, may, iris and cynthia were the top 4 girls ahead of misty. Lol by your logic dawn was already written out girl, may was written out in 2006 and only iris was the current girl, then why did may and dawn were ranked way higher than misty and the demographic of the poll was most of the people in the poll were aged either in late teens or were in 20's. Most of the people were well versed with OS and misty but still misty got the least votes for pokegirl.

Sorry but japanese people dont vote just for being the recent but for there overall contribution to the series. May and dawn contributed more to the series than misty ever did.
Pokemon like pikachu and charizard are still considered one of the iconic pokemon snd always scores high in the poll because they have gone thrugh the best chemistry with ash and development in the anime.

I could continue, but I don't want to derail this thread over a minor nitpick.

Hopefully that popularity will lead to something meaningful in the future.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Please don't spam. Messages that only consist of one line are usually not thoughtful enough to contribute positively to the discussion. Also, the girls' popularity (especially anyone besides Serena) isn't exactly relevant to the ship. Please talk about Serena and Ash together, or at least in relation to one another. Not as individual characters.