• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
she barely even simped for ash in the first place I don't really get this perception that Serena's entire personality in xy revolved around ash
People being purposely obtuse.

In the episode “In Master Class is in Session!” Serena says to her mother that she decided to go on a journey to not be a ryhorn racer.

She wanted to have a goal of her own and she took her time figuring that out by trying different things such as battling in EP842, the sky battling episode EP839, showcases and leaving to try contests in hoenn at the end of the saga.

As for the being “dependent” part, she relied on Ash as much as any other pokegirl. It’s natural that friends help each other so I don’t see why people are trying to add negative connotations to their friendship that where never there.

Loving someone ≠ Your life revolving around them.

It’s not like her crush was the only thing worth noting about her? She had goals, likes and dislikes like any other character. The crush wasn’t addressed in most episodes.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
I agree with @Panky.. here.
Angryping.png

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
for those who do ship Ash and Serena, what are your unpopular opinions about the ship and why?
Here's another one:
Saying that Serena is the hinata of pokemon and saying that amourshipping is the naruhina of pokemon Is a disservice to Serena and amourshipping itself

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It just bugs me on how a lot of people want her to be like hinata or any kishimoto female character
Here's another one:
Saying that Serena is the hinata of pokemon and saying that amourshipping is the naruhina of pokemon Is a disservice to Serena and amourshipping itself
Not into naruto (tried watching before and it simply didn't appeal me) but I think the comparison is more conceptually than a 1:1 one.

As in, they are comparing it as the case where "girl loves the boy, who is oblivious to it and remains as such but then develops feelings for her when he gets older"

The part I put on bold being the main reason why some are pushing that equivalence.

We have only four episodes to make Amour canon.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
We have only four episodes to make Amour canon.
I don’t think that’s going to happen. At this point it’s obvious to me that this last series is just Ash traveling and meeting different pokemon.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
You didn't read my post if this is your response.

Yes, I did read it.

I agree JN105 might have been disappointing, but I disagree with the take that it destroyed Amourshipping.

For example, if Serena had her blue ribbon or it was even shown, let alone explained what happened to it, this episode would have been an improvement for me. Like if Serena was actually wearing her ribbon or mentioned to Koharu that she had it, I would be calling this a great Serena episode and a great Amour episode. (Sidenote, people are using the blue bracelets in Serena's contest performance to claim that that was the ribbon and no, a back picture of it was shared and it looked nothing like her blue ribbon from XY. Lying to myself that hard isn't healthy). That didn't happen. It's not addressed. It's not shown and they even went as far as to avoid showing it in her flashback scenes. I don't want to take that as intentional, but how they treated Ash and Serena's that came up time and time again has me questioning that. The ribbon is a physical manifestation of Amour and Ash and Serena relationship. It represents Serena's love from him on her side and a care and appreciation from Ash that I consider unique to his relationship with her(Ash doesn't just give gifts unprompted and rub his nose while doing so to any Pokegirl folks). It's explicit, incredibly meaningful, and something that XY took great pains to show was important to Serena. She literally made a gift from Ash a part of her outfit change, one of the most defining parts of XY and especially her character. She would grasp at the ribbon whenever she was worried about Ash. It's evident to me that the narrative of XY was more than clear about how important the ribbon was. Her not wearing it is bad enough, not explaining what happened to it? This is legitimate big retcon territory for me and pretty much struck the episode as more than massive failure from an Amour perspective on my end. If people want to argue that the ribbon isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be, we can have that conversation for sure. What's different about the portrayal of Serena here is that I easily think it could be easily argued the romantic implications of that relationship are stripped. The removal of the ribbon is indicative of that.

Honestly, I don't think much of the blue ribbon.

It's a small prize that Ash won by just happening to be the lucky winner at the monorail station. A ribbon that he literally had no use for, and gave to Serena because it fit her better and he couldn't think of any other gift. It wasn't something Ash went out of his way to obtain for her, or something that he truly valued that he gave away. I mean, the entire episode was one of the most hyped in XY, and ended up being quite underwhelming. Ash spent most of that "date" being by himself.

The ribbon was a nice touch on Serena's second outfit, but to say that it's some powerful physical manifestation of love, and Serena not having it on her new outfit is tantamount to Amourshipping being retconned is honestly just an......overreaction.

The fact that Serena is referencing Ash's words to her, when trying to encourage Chloe, is much more of an indication of Amourshipping than whether or not she had the ribbon.

Serena at the end of the XY was decisive, confident in her overall goals, and really in her shoes in the end of XY just the way she is here in this episode. What's really powerful about the XY finale is that it was ingenious at making it indicative of her own character change from the beginning of XY in multiple different ways, doing justice to all parts of her character. She's able to leave for her contests in Hoenn of her own volition, something she wanted to do for herself a complete change from the beginning of XY where she left home with no real idea of what she wanted to do besides knowing that she didn't want to something else. Not only that though, she was also able to proudly assert her feelings for Ash and kiss him, a stark change from the character who blushed in embarrassment at Ash complimenting her or was unable to even try to hold his hand. Her blushing while thanking Ash as she went down the escalator was even a change from her normal blushing prior in the show which was characterized as shy and demure embarrassment to just like prideful blushing if that makes sense lol. It was the blushing of someone who was unashamed and unabashed of their feelings for someone, which given the scene is pretty obvious lol. I'm explaining this to say that what makes Serena's character and her relationship with Ash unique from other Pokegirls was not just the significant influence on her from Ash, but was also the undercurrent of romantic implications and feelings that came with it. It's why the kiss is not only great development for Serena, but also great development for Amour. It's why some of my favorite scenes between the two of them like the " Never give up " mantra or Ash telling her that nothing they do is pointless are also examples of my favorite Amour scenes. I think you could see it that way, sure, but you could also see it as the platonic care Serena has for a good friend who had a great amount of influence on her. People have mentioned this as being XY finale-like and that couldn't be further from the truth. This is budget XY finale. It's not even close to representing what the XY finale showed. It's a stripped down version of it, only comparable in directorial flourish and nowhere near in how it perfectly handled Serena's character. It's a worse retread. It does nothing for Serena's character that the XY finale didn't do and actively undermines it. And I think the positive reaction from people who never liked her character and never understood why the XY finale was so great, not just for Amour but for Serena as a character, validates that interpretation. They pick up on the comparatively stripped down signals it sends. Why do you think there was so much concern-trolling and baiting during speculation and after the episode aired? In the end, I'm actually glad some Amour fans liked the episode. I hope I'm wrong and the conclusion of the episode is actually some foreshadowing that the writers will deliver on, but I don't really have trust in the JN writers at all. To say that the scene wasn't strong and couldn't be argued as an Amour scene is wrong. Not to mention, they clearly treated Serena differently from other returns. None of the Dawn returns or Iris or the Alola girls(besides Lillie she hasn't come back) were handled with the amount of finesse that I think the final scene still has. Not even Gary's return.For me though? Personally, I'm once again thankful that XY is the most self-contained season of the series. The show isn't XY anymore. I don't think it will ever be like XY again.

None of this was retconned however. Serena is much more confident, with a clear goal. She doesn't awkwardly stammer when Ash runs by, but immediately calls out to him. I guess she could have blushed at the very end, but she doesn't need to either. Ash knows how she feels about him.

It's why when I finally come to the final scene of her and Ash at the boat, I'm conflicted. It's a strong scene as they both tell each other their goals and the direction and visual cues as well as even the storytelling with Serena standing their at the dock as the sun sets before Sylveon looks at her in slight concern to see her smiling should be great Amour right?

It's supposed to be similar to the elevator scene, but this time, it's Ash who is being pulled away, quite literally on the boat, and metaphorically by fate itself. Just like Serena, he has to achieve his own goal first, before they can be together again.

the romantic subplot to their relationship was something never done before

It has been done before, in Orange Islands with Ash and Misty. Perhaps arguably more mutual between May and Drew.

Which is why it's a bit disappointing they didn't do more from Ash's side during XY, and why they've avoided addressing the elephant in the room post-XY. Don't get me wrong, I wanted more from JN105 too. I wanted both of them to have an actual conversation alone. Unfortunately, the writers just don't know how nor want to approach it post-kiss.

she barely even simped for ash in the first place I don't really get this perception that Serena's entire personality in xy revolved around ash

I'm well aware that it's an unfair label, but I'm just being honest. I bet if you poll most of the fandom, the first thought that would come to mind regarding Serena is the "girl who likes Ash", not the "girl who wants to be a Showcase Performer." That perception stuck because the narrative made it seem that Serena left home solely to give Ash back his cloth, and then she spends the first year of XY episodes not doing much relatively to prior Pokegirls, with her crush being the main shtick.

As in, they are comparing it as the case where "girl loves the boy, who is oblivious to it and remains as such but then develops feelings for her when he gets older"

Pretty much it.

I don’t think that’s going to happen. At this point it’s obvious to me that this last series is just Ash traveling and meeting different pokemon.

Watch the endgame be:

It's the final episode. There's a grand party in Pallet Town with all of Ash's friends and Pokemon. During the celebration, there's a 20 second scene where Ash and Serena lock eyes. Serena blushes, and Ash...blushes back.

Aaaannnndddd that's it.

World Turtle

Agreed. People often knock on XY's more shonen-esque aspects as if it was the reason the series didn't do well, or like it was a bad thing, but the fact that so many people genuinely got invested in the series again speaks for how popular many of the decisions they made were. Hell, I think there's a solid chance they could've retained viewership if they delivered on the League win and kept the same tone for another series, rather than dropping it in fear of Yo-Kai Watch.

Well I'd definitely agree that it was better than 2019-22, now that was a low point for the fandom as a whole.

Regarding the part I bolded. Iirc there was backlash in Japan I think about how during the first half of BW they made JJM to serious that they sucked out their likable qualities. Didn’t their voice actors even complain about it? I think I heard about that.

Similarly Was Ash too serious in XY? Like was he just not “fun” anymore? Like since BW each series felt like it was overcorrecting something from the previous serious. BW Ash was the No Respects Guy. XY Ash was the Ace and everyone looked up to him even the big bad wanted Ash to join him. In contrast SM Ash was a more comedic figure (though crouching moron, hidden badass was in play). Don’t know about JN. Didn’t watch enough to get a feel for Ash’s character.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Regarding the part I bolded. Iirc there was backlash in Japan I think about how during the first half of BW they made JJM to serious that they sucked out their likable qualities. Didn’t their voice actors even complain about it? I think I heard about that.

Similarly Was Ash too serious in XY? Like was he just not “fun” anymore? Like since BW each series felt like it was overcorrecting something from the previous serious. BW Ash was the No Respects Guy. XY Ash was the Ace and everyone looked up to him even the big bad wanted Ash to join him. In contrast SM Ash was a more comedic figure (though crouching moron, hidden badass was in play). Don’t know about JN. Didn’t watch enough to get a feel for Ash’s character.
The thing is that Ash didn’t really change as significantly as TR did during XY, especially not from his more beloved incarnations.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

Eh, no. XY Ash has been the same Ash as he was in the past. Still smiling, still comedic, and still acting like a kid.

It's just that the stakes were high in the XYZ era which requires him to be a lot more serious than usual (Ash is always serious when danger is afoot), and that's what people remember the most from the series. That, and the fact the humor comes from his inexperience of handling things outside of Pokémon battles, whether it be dancing or finding gifts or even being on schedule. And naturally, Serena scolds him for it.

Much of the original humor with Ash comes from him being inexperienced and being a brat, usually clashing with Misty or his rival. This kind of humor continued in AG and DP and BW, but it has been noticeably declining as Ash gets more and more experienced in Pokémon training. This is why Ash's rivalry with Paul is played much more seriously than his rivalry with Gary. This is why the humor is played more on Ash's inexperience with other stuff.

And for the record, this is what I consider to be too serious:

Red_and_Pikachu_Artwork.png

Never smiling, angry eyes, trying to look like a cool adult. That's being too serious. While there are moment where Ash does this frown expression, most of the time, he just smiles so eagerly in battles. I remember more times where he frowns in DP than in XY, and that's mainly because of Paul. But it doesn't change the fact that Ash hasn't really changed at all in XY. XY simply reminds us that he is a universal appealing character of Pokémon as a whole. Back before 2013, Fans try to dismiss Ash as some kid that is not worthy to play the big, serious competitive battling side of Pokémon like Red. They wanted Pokémon for adults and stuff like that with older protagonists and stuff. Ash just proves them wrong by just simply being himself, just with more confidence.

Really, that's what XY Ash is. He's just regular Ash with more confidence and nothing more. He still makes mistakes in strategies and depends on coming up with stuff on the fly. But he has enough experience to turn things around even in the heat of the moment, and this aspect carried on in SM and JN. Clearly, XY did something right if Ash being the idealized trainer carried over to SM and JN, with the Alola classmates and Goh all looking up to him as the best trainer they know.

And if you look at that way, Serena's admiration for Ash makes perfect sense even without taking the crush in mind.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
But he has enough experience to turn things around even in the heat of the moment, and this aspect carried on in SM and JN. Clearly, XY did something right if Ash being the idealized trainer carried over to SM and JN, with the Alola classmates and Goh all looking up to him as the best trainer they know.
The only reason XY gets credited for that is BW Ash going backwards due to the anime tying to BW as a soft reboot. Ash was already on an upward trajectory.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The only reason XY gets credited for that is BW Ash going backwards due to the anime tying to BW as a soft reboot. Ash was already on an upward trajectory.
That and the B2W2 special animation trailer that made people long for a "more serious" Pokémon anime with older protagonists. It also around the time where the Red worship was at an all-time high, with Pokémon Origins being released in 2013 not helping the matter.

Suffice to say, it becomes essential for Ash to stay with us much longer, if only to demonstrate what all these fans were forgetting about when demanding for an edgier show.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It's still so funny to me how Origins was praised for its protagonist
FOR ITS PROTAGONIST
Origins Red is SUCH a boring character istg he has zero personality, Ash in every incarnation has been 1000x times better than him
It's so weird to see the Red worship, it's like they don't care about the character only how strong he is
It's funny how Red isn't even that strong anymore, with Ash having far superior feats

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
It's funny how Red isn't even that strong anymore, with Ash having far superior feats
Well in Pokemon masters flint said that red is far stronger than anyone Soo they're pretty much equal to me

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well in Pokemon masters flint said that red is far stronger than anyone Soo they're pretty much equal to me
Did they ever explicitly say he's stronger than other champions? Coz the Flint thing you're talking about is out of context. He was literally shown to be on an equal footing with Cynthia, as we got no result for the battle. Never has he been implied to be the prime champion among all the champions like Ash is now
Hell, I still think Red is stronger.
Why though? Red has never been labelled as a world champion, and his game team is pretty easy for Ash at this point

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
and his game team is pretty easy for Ash at this point
Strength in meta does not equate strength in lore. Look at geeta her team is far weaker than clavell's but she is considered to be the strongest besides nemona

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
The thing is that Ash didn’t really change as significantly as TR did during XY, especially not from his more beloved incarnations.
I think people are definitely exaggerating. I think they are saying he has no personality because he wasn’t snarky during XY and because there wasn’t daily banter between him and Serena like with past pokegirls. People confuse a change in personality and being nicer with “having no personality” imo. I also think that a lot of people are just fan of tsunderes (which Serena is not), so there was too much peace between them for some people’s taste.