However, they went as far as bringing her into mentoring Chloe for one day who was least interested in contests. They could have just brought a random COTD with a Sylveon or rather shown Lisia owning one instead of bringing Serena back.
I mean, every companion got a post-series episode. Serena was desperately
due for one.
Come to think of it, among all the three pokegirls who were into contests, only Serena was shown to have reached the top in the Master Class. What about May? What about Dawn? No insult to Pearlshippers but if they feel that their ship has won because of Dawn's repeated comebacks, they need to look closer - Dawn seems to have failed to win even a single major contest tournament/contest live...and from the looks of it, Ash and Serena are being projected as a future power couple. Previously, both of them ended up as runner-ups in their respective finals...and now both of them are at the top. A World Champion/Monarch and his Queen from Kalos?
Didn’t Serena call May something like the 'princess of Hoenn'? Aren't they both competing in the same class considering May's cameo?
Also why does Dawn’s performances have anything to do with shipping? By that logic, Ash x Iris should be the
power couple considering they're both Champions of a region.
Moreover, this may sound sexist to some but I feel that Serena was projected as an ideal future wife/mother. This has a lot to do with Japan's cultural norms and views about women's role in society. Take a look at this video survey (with captions on) if you're interested and see how much Serena's character has similarities with it: What feminine traits do Japanese boys like in girls? Ask Japanese about feminine girl skills.
Throughout XY, she's shown to be a really good baker and in JN138 she tells her mother that she's become good at cooking meals too which astonishes her mother. Which other pokegirl (apart from Mallow who runs a restaurant) was depicted to be good at cooking? All I'm saying is that she was basically brought in as a future spouse for Ash (much like how a shy/feminine/motherly Hinata was always supposed to end up with Naruto).
As much as I'm not a fan of stereotypical presentation, there is probably some truth here. Serena herself said that semi-controversial line of, 'girls should make themselves look good.' Showcases too were a female-only event with feminine roots.
this is what should've happened
Beautiful fanart by Thiago sinaz
Man, some people are talented. If only this happened.
Fun fact: this is probably the first amourshipping fanart by SideselC it was uploaded in July 2013 few months before XY's release
I remember seeing this back in the day. Who could have predicted what was to come?!
A reddit user made this sick with context edit of the kiss and farewell scene
That hilariously awkward kiss animation aside, this was quite good.
Might write another large post expanding on the mediocrity related to episode 105 was as well as trying to make a more extensive summary of some of the central conundrums surrounding the state of AmourShipping and Serena after the show ends.
I mean, Serena revealed her feelings. She gave him a kiss. There was nothing further from her end other than her reconfirming those feelings in a later series and Ash reciprocating those feelings.
At the very least, the JN episode weakly reaffirmed
those feelings. Serena is thinking of and quoting Ash when speaking to Chloe. She reacts positively to seeing him again. The boat scene is a mirror of the elevator scene, with Ash being the one this time pulled away from Serena by fate and his goals.
I’m honestly hoping they don’t get together in some time skip because that ruins the point of the ship for me. Having the ship become cemented in canon is boring. Seeing it develop properly (and not just hints) is so much more satisfying.
I mean, in XY, Ash did
have some number of (subtle) hints, especially when considered as a totality.
I wrote this a few pages back:
* A lot of scenes where Ash is cheering on and supporting Serena, often louder than Bonnie and Clemont, and with the 'camera' focused on him
* A lot of scenes where Ash calls out only to Serena, especially if she's in trouble/danger, or looks at her with concern
* The XY group dynamic was often duo-based, so Ash/Serena got a lot of scenes where they're placed next to each other (walking, sitting etc.)
* Ash asking Serena to join the group (first time he asked a girl to join)
* Ash scratching his philtrum/cheek out of embarrassment/nervousness on several occasions around Serena
* Ash recognizing and appreciating Serena's support in several gym battles - obviously Wulfric's comes to mind, but also Viola's and Korrina's
* ^ That entire snowball scene fallout was Ash ruminating on Serena's words to break out of his and Greninja's funk
* The flashback itself didn't show anything overtly romantic from Ash's side, but the general vibe screamed childhood romance
* Ash having a blank stare (of attraction?) to Serena wearing the Fennekin and furisode outfits
* Ash falling into Serena's arms, and not Clemont's or Bonnie's, when sick
* Ash willingly spending a day going shopping with Serena, which is otherwise completely OOC for him, just to cheer her up, followed by a battle to encourage her some more
* Ash reacting positively to Serena telling him that he's her goal
* Ash being in awe of Serena having kissed him, and reactively positively afterwards
* No arguments with Serena over petty stuff (NOTE: some people think this is a positive, though personally, I think Ash's snark is a key part of his personality, and that banter was missing with Serena)
However, as I said then:
The things is, ^ all of that just begs the question why the Anipoke staff didn't fully commit to this pairing.
Why not have Ash show more attraction or blush?
Why avoid having a Serena reappearance for 5.5 years after XY, only to have a 30 second reunion between the two?
They weren't afraid to have a kiss. Therefore, were they really unable to write one scene of them alone talking it out?
I think all the staff needed to do was create one small scene in SM or JN where these two could have talked about what happened on the elevator.
Ash and Serena sitting together alone on the beach, watching the Alolan sunset.
Ash: "blahblahblah Grand Trial blahblahblah
Serena: "blahblahblah Contests blahblahblah never give up until the end blahblahblah that's what you told me Ash!
", as she stands up, spins, and then turns around, blushing down at Ash.
!" as he too gets up emphatically, pumping his fist in the air. His eyes meet Serena's, and his face suddenly changes, turning quiet as the two look silently at one other.
There's a pause in the air with the two facing each other amidst the calm ocean breeze and setting sun.
Ash averts his eyes and scratches his cheek, as he asks somewhat nervously: "Listen Serena...about what happened on the elevator
Serena, shaking her head, hurriedly interrupts: "Listen Ash, now you know how I feel about you and..
." Her eyes suddenly flash with renewed energy and she finishes with confidence. "And I'll make you feel the same way back one day
Ash's eyes glisten in awe and there's a faint blush on his cheeks. Before he could reply, the sound of his Alolan classmates in the distance ring the air, calling them back for dinner.
Ash turns to her and says, "Yeah
!" in agreement, and the two run back to the others.
^^^ I mean, look, I made that up in <5 minutes, and I realize it's very corny
. I'm not saying that's how I'd actually write such a scene with more time, but at least it addresses what happened at the end of XY. There's set-up for a budding romance as they grow older.