• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
itt : idiots think cartoon characters operate like real people.
They operate like exaggerated versions of real people. Just because it's anime, doesn't mean they are going to have kids act like grown ass adults and get married and things like that.

Morax

King of heroes
Just because it's anime, doesn't mean they are going to have kids act like grown ass adults and get married
Oh boy....
images

images

images
do you even watch anime?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Watching Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger.... Tomioka pretty much wrote Ash reincarnated as a talking zord. And wtih Rika Matsumoto voicing the character. The same way she does Ash.

Throwing it out here so someone can make fanart of Serena reacting to it. Or we can all take some hopium Makiguchi will be cast at some point.
Oh Rica is back to doing Sentai? It means I need to watch it.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Oh Rica is back to doing Sentai? It means I need to watch it.
She is.

And not just voice-acting but singing the ED as well (we'll only hear this sunday's though)

Masaaki Endoh is doing the OP too

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Are we seriously getting worked up about a freaking gag that lasted for 3 seconds? Teasing, banter, tsundere moments none of those matter because someone already confessed to him. This ain't no harem.

If a similar episode like that happened in XY between Ash and Serena, then nobody would be calling it a gag. Just saying. With how much limited time there was in MPM, the fact the writers intentionally with that episode doesn't seem insignificant to me. I'll just agree to disagree.

It's doomerism because everyone knows the limitations of the show when it comes to romance. They cannot show the kiss onscreen and Ash is stated to be always 10 years old. The fact they pushed to the brink of censorship is an achievement itself. For that reason, the fact that Ash left the show and the fact that none of the girls have ever achieved the same heights as Amourshipping is good enough of an endgame as ever for this kind of show. After all, Ash wouldn't be seriously considering a romance until he's much older. Better he leave and then come back as an older person.

I was never asking for on-screen kisses or marriage proposals lol.

I just disagree with your take that the show couldn't have possibly done more with the romance.

There was an entire half to this pairing that was never confirmed first of all. Ash only ever showed subtle hints, and none of them definitive. He never admitted to anything that could be interpreted as feelings, never blushed at her, never got jealous over her, wasn't shown staring back at the docks while on the boat during their JN reunion, etc. Serena wasn't there in person for Ash during the most important tournament of his life. She wasn't present for the very last arc in MPM when Ash was quietly contemplating the next steps of his journey.

There was no awkwardness between the both of them post-kiss, and most importantly, there was no conversation regarding it. May and Drew way back in AG talked more about potential mutual feelings than Ash and Serena, so the writers were capable of doing more.

I'm glad that you are content with what happened, but I think it was a major dropped ball after everything that was established in XY.

The fact that there needs to be a Pokémon version of The Last - Naruto the Movie or hopefully there is a potential reunion between the both of them in Lumiose City if/when the next game gets adapted shows that the romance was left incomplete.

I don't want to go in circles. I too was happy with what was shown in XY. I agree with you that the Amourshipping is still the closest among all ships to being the "endgame" (though the gap has dramatically shrunk from what seemed like certainty at the end of XY), but that's not what matters to me? I think this anime could have had a surprisingly decent romance, but didn't commit to it.

Indeed. Honestly, it was more shocking to me that Ash had the nerve to say that Cilan's lure is better than Misty's lure, which is why he doesn't have it anymore. You know, the lure that shippers used as evidence that Ash loves Misty in a romantic way?

He's also messing with her. That's their entire dynamic.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
If a similar episode like that happened in XY between Ash and Serena, then nobody would be calling it a gag. Just saying. With how much limited time there was in MPM, the fact the writers intentionally with that episode doesn't seem insignificant to me. I'll just agree to disagree.
He's also messing with her. That's their entire dynamic.

If? The dynamic of Ash and Serena is one of respect and curtesy. Not teasing and tsundere bantering. Often, Serena would scold Ash for poor mannerism when it comes to food (or impulsive battles) and Ash simply goes along rather than protesting. And honestly, many Amourshippers would feel that Ash would act OOC if he said something like "Lana's gift is better your gift, Serena" even as a tease.

Yes, Ash and Misty have a dynamic of teasing each other, but there's a reason why Misty is noted as an Implied Love Interest rather than an actual Love Interest. The Cilan lure is literally the only lure that Ash uses in the miniseries. He never goes back to using the Misty lure after supposedly teasing Misty about it.

And MPM has 11 episodes in total, 10 of which Misty appears in. And only one, which is Misty's reintroduction, showed some kind of ship tease even though they had 9 more episodes ahead. If Serena didn't exists, then it might mean something. But Serena does and the standard of endgame shipping is significantly higher.

I was never asking for on-screen kisses or marriage proposals lol.

I just disagree with your take that the show couldn't have possibly done more with the romance.

There was an entire half to this pairing that was never confirmed first of all. Ash only ever showed subtle hints, and none of them definitive. He never admitted to anything that could be interpreted as feelings, never blushed at her, never got jealous over her, wasn't shown staring back at the docks while on the boat during their JN reunion, etc. Serena wasn't there in person for Ash during the most important tournament of his life. She wasn't present for the very last arc in MPM when Ash was quietly contemplating the next steps of his journey.

There was no awkwardness between the both of them post-kiss, and most importantly, there was no conversation regarding it. May and Drew way back in AG talked more about potential mutual feelings than Ash and Serena, so the writers were capable of doing more.

I'm glad that you are content with what happened, but I think it was a major dropped ball after everything that was established in XY.

The fact that there needs to be a Pokémon version of The Last - Naruto the Movie or hopefully there is a potential reunion between the both of them in Lumiose City if/when the next game gets adapted shows that the romance was left incomplete.

I don't want to go in circles. I too was happy with what was shown in XY. I agree with you that the Amourshipping is still the closest among all ships to being the "endgame" (though the gap has dramatically shrunk from what seemed like certainty at the end of XY), but that's not what matters to me? I think this anime could have had a surprisingly decent romance, but didn't commit to it.

I'll make this short but here's the thing. Pokémon has rarely if at all focused on romance when it comes to the main protagonists. Even in Pokémon Adventures, the love story between Ruby and Sapphire is something that the manga artist Satoshi Yamamoto disliked because he doesn't believe that romance should be the driving force for children's adventures. It is not to say that romance isn't popular (far from it, it was considered to be the most popular in Japan). But this is something I keep in mind when it comes to this franchise. That even the most blatantly romantic love story in a slightly older demographic will face resistance in publisher expectations.

And with Ash explicitly stated to be a 10 year old even by JN time, making an official romance with him and any girl (especially in this day and age) was always going to be herculean challenge. Even May and Drew couldn't go beyond the vague fog of implied romance due to being kids, just to keep the censors happy. The only times where romance was explicitly confirmed was with adults, particularly with Kukui and Burnet

In short, for Amourshipping to truly thrive, Ash must be released from the grips of the main anime. And released him, they finally did. All that's needed is a movie aimed specifically for an older, nostalgic demographic.

Morax

King of heroes
If a similar episode like that happened in XY between Ash and Serena, then nobody would be calling it a gag
There are moments that need to be taken seriously and those that don't. Pokeshipping belongs to the former category because it never evolved beyond comic relief. Amour ceased to be comic relief when she confessed, sure it was pretty late but the kiss is their way of telling you are supposed to take this seriously.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Sad seeing Yajima go.

But not going to lie, the last few episodes of Horizons haven't really did much for me. At this point I am mostly watching because I became a fan of Roy.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Well there goes the chances of a potential amour reunion

I wouldn't say that. Ash will be on sabbatical for a long time to make his absence have an impact, so Yajima's departure isn't that big of a deal. And Amourshipping wasn't Yajima's idea but rather one of the producers.

Give about the anime's 30th anniversary, we may have something related to Amour because this would be around the time where XY fans would be old enough to be part of the anime crew.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ok, I'm far from Tomiyasu's biggest fan - he can be REALLY hit and miss - but I highly doubt he was the one behind the old anime being canned.

Ash's departure feels more like a case of "the suits figured Ash's presence doesn't make as much bank as he used to and there's interest in a new kind of lead so might as well do it for simplicity's sake"