• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
No, never within the series itself. The only time his age was ever stated to be 10 in XY was from some trivia quiz for Hoopa and Rica Matusmoto's chat during the Volcanion presentation. It's this lack of mentioning of Ash's age plus his relative older look that allows many to make Amourshipping a lot more intimate (as well as the animators getting away with Serena's fantasies like that Serena Becomes Ash episode).

For the first time in the series, none of the character's ages have been confirmed. The closest we have is Haven Paschall implying Serena is 14.

DatsRight

Serena was actually smaller than Ash in their flashback, so it's likely she's actually YOUNGER than him whatever their age may be (just as said, developing quicker as girls do at this point).

Her height never was consistent was it? Her original design went from taller to shorter than Ash between shots. I think only the later design had her consistent as a little bit taller (though some still equate it to her wearing boots).

Still nearly all Amourshipping art I've seen 'shrinks' her so she can be cradled under Ash.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Serena was actually smaller than Ash in their flashback, so it's likely she's actually YOUNGER than him whatever their age may be (just as said, developing quicker as girls do at this point).

Her height never was consistent was it? Her original design went from taller to shorter than Ash between shots. I think only the later design had her consistent as a little bit taller (though some still equate it to her wearing boots).

Still nearly all Amourshipping art I've seen 'shrinks' her so she can be cradled under Ash.

Well, it's obvious that she was shorter when they were kids, as you can see here. This picture is from when they're older but before the redesign, though you can see that they're about the same. Ash might be a hair taller.

CDVEN

Average Trainer
Well, it's obvious that she was shorter when they were kids, as you can see here. This picture is from when they're older but before the redesign, though you can see that they're about the same. Ash might be a hair taller.
People seem to forget the other factor. They are each from a different race.

Most Asians (not trying to be racist or something) are short so it's not surprising that Serena is a bit taller than Ash because she's French (or Kalosian) since according to what I've read, French girls tend be short in their younger years but grew taller in their later years but then again, it might be her boots that gives her that increase in height.

2 days left..... ;_;

Last edited:
Yep. Two days left until the big question is answered. "Will there be some sort of confession or not?"

...Regardless of the outcome, I'll still be a part of the amourshipping community and continue writing my fanfiction series on it. As a fellow reader, I'm determined to finish it regardless of how long it takes as I know how disappointing it is to see an unfinished fic! It's what being an unconditional amourshipper is all about! You still like and support the ship no matter what! :)

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
People seem to forget the other factor. They are each from a different race.

Most Asians (not trying to be racist or something) are short so it's not surprising that Serena is a bit taller than Ash because she's French (or Kalosian) since according to what I've read, French girls tend be short in their younger years but grew taller in their later years but then again, it might be her boots that gives her that increase in height.

2 days left..... ;_;

Race, nationality and language doesn't really exist in the Pokemon world. Otherwise, I'd imagine a French five year old would have a lot of trouble communicating with some random Japanese five year old.

Keep in mind also how much taller and busty Misty looked compared to Ash, but was officially the same age as him.

You can't talk about busty without mentioning May.

Yep. Two days left until the big question is answered. "Will there be some sort of confession or not?"

...Regardless of the outcome, I'll still be a part of the amourshipping community and continue writing my fanfiction series on it. As a fellow reader, I'm determined to finish it regardless of how long it takes as I know how disappointing it is to see an unfinished fic! It's what being an unconditional amourshipper is all about! You still like and support the ship no matter what! :)

Ah, the final question. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. Remember we have two weeks of side story episodes after this one. It kinda sucks, being so close to the end.

Link73

I lowered my expectations so much I only wait for something like "I admire you Ash"... if it ends with some Misty-style "Now I know what you feel about me, Ash" I quit all things Pokémon... until Serena's cameo on SM.

ThePokemonmaster11

Wow, didn't expect to see anybody from the fanfiction community here--that said, I don't see an Amourshipping confession happening. The writers have disappointed me throughout this entire series ever since the league and I expect that trend to continue. I'll continue to say it, the closest thing we'll get is what they did to end Pokeshipping with "Keep on doing your best". I still hold hope that they will have some sort of confession, but it's completely unlikely. The most I can hope for is a return of Serena in a future season, but I'm not getting my hopes up. They'll probably bring freaking Iris back before they bring Serena back to follow the trend of female characters making a comeback.

CDVEN

Average Trainer
Race, nationality and language doesn't really exist in the Pokemon world. Otherwise, I'd imagine a French five year old would have a lot of trouble communicating with some random Japanese five year old.

You can't talk about busty without mentioning May.

Ah, the final question. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes. Remember we have two weeks of side story episodes after this one. It kinda sucks, being so close to the end.

1. Race still exists. It's just that everyone in the Pokemon World speaks Japanese (or English or whatever language dub you're watching). If it doesn't then like for example, Brock wouldn't have his trademark eyes and instead would have the regular eyes like other characters do.

2. It's still ridiculous how the animators gave May a rather large bust size for her age in AG.

3. Just like everyone said, all we have to do is wait. I'm interested on what the other special is all about. I'm not really expecting anything shippy for next week but then again, the writers might pull another trick in one of their sleeves. They seem to drop hints in times where we least expected them to be like in XYZ45 (Ash asking Serena out) and 46 (Serena holding his hand before jumping). If it did, then it'll probably a hug or if they have the balls to do it, a kiss on the cheek.

Last edited:
Wow, didn't expect to see anybody from the fanfiction community here--that said, I don't see an Amourshipping confession happening. The writers have disappointed me throughout this entire series ever since the league and I expect that trend to continue. I'll continue to say it, the closest thing we'll get is what they did to end Pokeshipping with "Keep on doing your best". I still hold hope that they will have some sort of confession, but it's completely unlikely. The most I can hope for is a return of Serena in a future season, but I'm not getting my hopes up. They'll probably bring freaking Iris back before they bring Serena back to follow the trend of female characters making a comeback.

I think we've had a discussion like this before. The writers would really be dropping the ball if don't have Serena leave with at least something. They've already carried amourshipping this far as it's basically been part of Serena's character. I have no idea if the writer's believed amourshipping would gather this much attention or if they would even follow through with it for more than a few episodes after creating anime Serena. I'll have faith for that the writer's will do something good. Maybe not a straight up confession...but some sort of nod that lets Serena have Ash know her feelings...otherwise they leave a part of Serena's character with no closure, which wouldn't be a good send off.

ThePokemonmaster11

I think we've had a discussion like this before. The writers would really be dropping the ball if don't have Serena leave with at least something. They've already carried amourshipping this far as it's basically been part of Serena's character. I have no idea if the writer's believed amourshipping would gather this much attention or if they would even follow through with it for more than a few episodes after creating anime Serena. I'll have faith for that the writer's will do something good. Maybe not a straight up confession...but some sort of nod that lets Serena have Ash know her feelings...otherwise they leave a part of Serena's character with no closure, which wouldn't be a good send off.

The writers dropping the ball wouldn't really be anything new would it? The finals, every other shipping, the SM anime...

I'm REALLY hoping they have something good happen and give closure to the ship since I haven't been so psyched about a ship for a while (I mean the childhood friend thing had me so stoked); but the writer's track record says otherwise. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, at least even if the writers whiff I'll have fanfics to fall back on.

KungFuMaster

KungFu Zen Mode
Lol after I posted something this thread got a small explosion. Two days to go! I'm still setting my expectations very low and praying for the Pikachu Gods for a good closure later. And who else said that this ship will be handled like other ships, don't want to hurt anyone but the other ships were fan thought. They never had a confirmed crush on Ash, like Serena did. So no this ship won't end like others because the writers themselves saw that as friends, but this could be more than that. But it just doesn't fit the Pokémon Anime if they give it a good closure now. It will make the Anime different, with our Ash having a girl for the rest of his life... Can't see that happening. Although if Gen 8 is the last one, I hope they end him with Serena then.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
Thanks for your answers guys!

I thought I was the only one that saw something was off when there wasn't any mention to the character's ages in XY. On the other hand, this has got me thinking even more now, whether Serena will be going to Alola or not. I do have a theory to why XY is different in the characters' age though.

From what I've heard, the S/M anime website has said that Ash is 10 years old. This means that they're targeting the younger audience again hence the comedy-style school setting. The XY series doesn't have their age mentioned is probably because it has a bit of a mature feel to it. Romance could be one of the reasons why it doesn't have an age setting even though it was a bit cheesy and one-sided. When characters start to talk or think about love, it is usually in their early teens; I'd say around 12-14 years. Romance between a boy and a girl who are 10-years old would feel a bit awkward. Although it can happen but you would usually see the two of them playing around, having fun and investigating things together. I guess you can say that they're friends who like being around each other but they haven't realised each others feelings yet.

So how does this affect character shipping in general?
Well, this means that the characters would not be 10-years old due to them being underdeveloped and not into any romance.
In other words, if we were to see a proper romance or even some hints of love between Ash and Serena or any of the Pokegirls then the writers would have to increase their age to at least an early teen (adolescence) or to not mention it at all like the XY series.

This also means that when the official anime website or the anime themselves mention that Ash is 10 then you know that they won't be any romance or love between Ash and the other female characters. If they want to add romance again then they'll have to avoid the supposed age of Ash. Besides when I see him interacting with the other current and future Pokegirls, it feels like that they're just messing around with each other without a care in the world (no offence to the other shipping threads). Hinting about it doesn't count either since they're just teasing us about it.

As for Serena... This means that she may not appear as a permanent character but as a guest instead. Even then, they may not exaggerate on her crush a lot if they did that anyways. I'm still hoping that they change the tone for that anime soon otherwise I'd have to hope that she'll come back in Gen 8.

Honestly, they should just get rid of the Ash should be a 10-year-old rule. That would make it easier for the writers instead of following it but hey, what would I know...

Feraleaguehater

I really wonder how Serena would fit into the Sun and Moon anime's atmosphere. Her having a crush on Ash really doesn't match the tone of that series.

Now that I think about it did the XY series say that Ash was 10 years old? I don't remember them saying that Ash was 10 in the first place since I always thought that the writers made us assume how old he is.

That being said. I think someone on this board had said that boys do not mature as much as the girls do in their early years. I'm paraphrasing a lot here but the reason why it was a one-sided crush was because Serena was at an early age to supposedly 'like' someone. Boys on the other hand don't really care about romance until they're in their adolescence years hence why Ash was oblivious to it.

I came late to the party but i can't recall them stating Ash's age. At least not as clearly as stating it in the official website. They probably approached it this way: Ash will be 10, 11, 12, 13, 14... whatever age the viewer decides he has based on his actions.

Perhaps they inserted amourshipping into the mix with a thought process of the sort: "10 year olds who watch the show will not notice Serena's crush on Ash at all while anyone older than 12/13 years old will easily identify the blatant hints. It's a win-win situation".

As for the crush being too one-sided, that's an argument that can be made regardless of the person(/pokémon?) being shipped with Ash. First of all what's important is that the other individual truly loves/has a crush on Ash, which Serena does. From there it's not so farfetch'd(...) to say that he likes her back, perhaps not in the form of constant blushing, but of inviting someone to travel with you, recognizing her worth, helping her find her dream, voluntarily giving her a ribbon, saying you'll always support her, the list goes on...

I do agree with Serena's crush not fitting the initial vibes of the Sun and Moon anime. All the more reason to want a resolution in the next canon 20 minutes.

Perhaps they're all actually 10 or 11, but have the mindsets of 14-16 year olds? It's not everyday that you see a 10 year old try to save the world by putting his life on the line multiple times, right?

But yeah, this, them traveling alone and all is why a romance restricted to a change of words(i like you...) and hugs/(cheek) kissing seems plausible and innocent. It's not like 10 year olds think they can just leave their houses once they're 10 and make their own pets fight on the streets, either. I mean, i knew i had some grasp of what fiction was when i was 10, notwithstanding the many times i threw invisible pokeballs in the air at home. Though i couldn't grasp some things and that's why at the time i thought Ash would inevitably always be older than me.

Last edited:

Epicocity

That's funny, I could've sworn we had 90 pages a few hours ago.

With the end of XY so near, talk about your ideal departure scene.

Sometimes I feel the same way with missing pages....

To me, they all go looking for Dedenne, Ash is with Serena, she talks to him, kisses him on the cheek (cause let's face it; that or a hug is the best we can get), tells Ash she'll see him again with her wink and then steps onto the plane with a wave. Maybe it's not ideal, per se, but I'd be happy with it.

Link73

Serena thanking Ash for helping her to find a life goal through the journey, then saying how much she "admires" him as she hugs (and kisses) him and finally giving him a memento (¿Alola clothing?); Ash asks her if they will meet again with "that wink" as her answer before she takes a plane to Hoenn.

The cherry blossoms scene would be accompanied by a "Dear Ash: You mean so much to me I'll never forget you"

PS: I can't stop thinking on Ash giving Serena his gloves in exchange.

Last edited:

Johtohfiller

Serena gives Ash his Alola clothes as a going away present, Ash gives Serena his gloves in return.

Edit: I've been bookmarking ff.net pages for users here, so far I've got Epicocity, potat_lasaro, lane, and RobSp1derp1g, and just added AmourshippingCanon from the last page on this thread. Anyone else?

Last edited:

Swordsman4

Serena gives Ash his Alola clothes as a going away present, Ash gives Serena his gloves in return.

Edit: I've been bookmarking ff.net pages for users here, so far I've got Epicocity, potat_lasaro, lane, and RobSp1derp1g, and just added AmourshippingCanon from the last page on this thread. Anyone else?

Wouldn't the hat make more sense than gloves? Maybe I'm just imagining things.