• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Epicocity

I usually tend to keep to myself and my inner circle only but apparently, some AmourShippers are freaking out over trivial matters, lashing out at others, and overall, just giving us mature ones a bad name (again). In the words of one of my favorite Poketubers, it's best to ignore than to give a reaction. Not worth the hassle over an anime, lol.

On a side note, when we are all starting this fanfic review thing? Tonight or tomorrow?

We're starting tonight. I'll kick it off when I've finished watching my movie for the evening. Start with Lights of Laverre by EllisW chapter 1.

And you'll find most of us here pretty chill compared to elsewhere on the net. We're all mature when it comes to an Ash shipping.

Don Velasquez

El Patrón
We're starting tonight. I'll kick it off when I've finished watching my movie for the evening. Start with Lights of Laverre by EllisW chapter 1.

And you'll find most of us here pretty chill compared to elsewhere on the net. We're all mature when it comes to an Ash shipping.

Sounds good; can't wait! Haven't read many fanfics so this will be something fresh for me. And yeah, I've noticed most people here keep their cool and stay calm, lol. Twitter, on the other hand, can be mine field somedays, lol. .-.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
RedPheonix made a good point here , there's no logic in this show especially when you see a boy who travelled around 6 regions and got runner up in a league final with a unique powerful Pokemon going to class after all that to learn about Pokemon with beginners trainers , that make no sense.

That's a fair point since the show isn't known for making sense sometimes ha ha, but then again it's not often that we see ten year old kids in love even in this series, so I still would've thought that Ash and Serena dating each other at their age would be a bit precipitous. But speaking of which, it makes me wonder how Delia and Grace would've reacted if Amourshipping was fully canon and Ash and Serena began going out and told them about their relationship. :]

Don Velasquez

El Patrón
But speaking of which, it makes me wonder how Delia and Grace would've reacted if Amourshipping was fully canon and Ash and Serena began going out and told them about their relationship. :]

I think Grace kind of already approved of Ash, lmao. As for Serena, I really wished she would've met Delia in person and interacted with her. That would've made for some great Amour fuel. :D

Epicocity

All right, guys, I don't know how many of you are around, but I'm here to kick off our first ever...

Amour Fanfiction Review/Discussion

And our first fanfic for amazing discussion is...Lights of Laverre

So, to start us off I'm going to put forth a few questions and thoughts to get us going and give more candid thoughts the more discussion is generated. Keep in mind, this is for the first chapter alone. However, if we feel discussion has run its course, we can certainly move on to Chapter 2.

1) What do you feel of Serena's depiction, and the depiction of her crush, at the beginning of the story?
2) Your opinion on the status of Amour given its near canon placement?
3) Is Ash captured in character, particularly in his interactions with Serena?
4) Thoughts on the dialogue and description.

Let's have some fun!

lane

A Giant Goldfish

Well, to be fair, we are also, for the most part, not 20-something /nearly 30-year old people who go bonkers to see a 10-year old boy get into a relationship with someone. :p

That's a fair point since the show isn't known for making sense sometimes ha ha, but then again it's not often that we see ten year old kids in love even in this series, so I still would've thought that Ash and Serena dating each other at their age would be a bit precipitous. But speaking of which, it makes me wonder how Delia and Grace would've reacted if Amourshipping was fully canon and Ash and Serena began going out and told them about their relationship. :]

1. Well, a 10-year old kiddo in the Pokemon world is roughly equivalent to a 16-year old in terms of maturity sometimes, and a 10-year old also manages to save the world multiple times. So, I think that the age scale thing doesn't really apply here. :)

2. They'd approve, with Delia saying, "Remember to make sure he changes his underwear!", and Grace saying, "He's just so cute!" At least, in my mind.

But I do think that Serena'll be back in the long run, because it'd just be a huge asdfghjkl;' moment to the fans if she doesn't, IMO.

----
Fanfic reviews do sound interesting... is this a book club now? :)

Red Pheonix

All right, guys, I don't know how many of you are around, but I'm here to kick off our first ever...

So, to start us off I'm going to put forth a few questions and thoughts to get us going and give more candid thoughts the more discussion is generated. Keep in mind, this is for the first chapter alone. However, if we feel discussion has run its course, we can certainly move on to Chapter 2.

1) What do you feel of Serena's depiction, and the depiction of her crush, at the beginning of the story?

Let's have some fun!

Lets start it-

1. Serena's crush was handled well. Noticeable but not overbearing. However, she does come of as a meek, shy girl like early in the series which is justified since she didn't get full development yet.

2. Its basically following the anime in this chapter so can't say much.

3. Yes, Ash did feel like......Ash. I like the ambiguous "It's something you'll like, right?" line.

4. They were good. But I think it could have been done better. I'll see how the emotional scenes are handled.

Aside from that, I like the overthinking part from Serena. Considering that this is her first chamce of experiencing love, some overthinking is natural.

Well, to be fair, we are also, for the most part, not 20-something /nearly 30-year old people who go bonkers to see a 10-year old boy get into a relationship with someone. :p

1. Well, a 10-year old kiddo in the Pokemon world is roughly equivalent to a 16-year old in terms of maturity sometimes, and a 10-year old also manages to save the world multiple times. So, I think that the age scale thing doesn't really apply here. :)

2. They'd approve, with Delia saying, "Remember to make sure he changes his underwear!", and Grace saying, "He's just so cute!" At least, in my mind.

But I do think that Serena'll be back in the long run, because it'd just be a huge asdfghjkl;' moment to the fans if she doesn't, IMO.

----
Fanfic reviews do sound interesting... is this a book club now? :)

What about the late/early teenagers?

2. I always imagined Grace teasing Serena at her crush.

Yep, its a Amour book club.

I haven't been in Serebii for a long time and I haven't been in this thread for an even longer time. Hopefully some of you guys remember me xD.

Anyway, I plan to watch all the episodes I missed during Christmas Break...I also plan to work on my fanfics and take a break from semester exams :/

Anything interesting going on in the shipping world?

Last thing. Did the kiss wash away all the league salt?

It washed 3/4 of the salt away for me...

CDVEN

Average Trainer
Grace would probably be proud of Serena and instantly approve their relationship. Delia, on the other hand, would probably tease Ash like nudging him while saying something along the lines of "Well, looks like my son has found his future wife! *looks at Serena* Take care of my Ash for me and don't forget to remind him to change his underwear! *Serena goes tomato*"

I haven't been in Serebii for a long time and I haven't been in this thread for an even longer time. Hopefully some of you guys remember me xD.

Anyway, I plan to watch all the episodes I missed during Christmas Break...I also plan to work on my fanfics and take a break from semester exams :/

I guess it did.

Well, people are shipping him with the S/M girls but it hasn't been the same since Serena pretty much destroyed other ships' chance of being close to canon, telling the other girls like "Move away b*tches, Ash is already mine!"

Anyway since you guys are reviewing some fanfics, I'm looking for someone to help me improve my writing like a beta reader since I'm not a native speaker of English. Would appreciate some tips and advice from the pros to improve my writing.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Lets start it-

1. Serena's crush was handled well. Noticeable but not overbearing. However, she does come of as a meek, shy girl like early in the series which is justified since she didn't get full development yet.

3. Yes, Ash did feel like......Ash. I like the ambiguous "It's something you'll like, right?" line.

4. They were good. But I think it could have been done better. I'll see how the emotional scenes are handled.

Aside from that, I like the overthinking part from Serena. Considering that this is her first chamce of experiencing love, some overthinking is natural.

Yeah, it's different because it's a part in Serena's development where she's really just starting to grow and become bolder; you know, no Dendemille Showcase yet, so everything in regards to Ash is so different given what happens later in the series.

For myself, when it comes to his writing style, it's good, though some of the formatting is a little off (might have been the site, but whatever). Obviously we haven't hit the emotional stuff yet, so only time will tell how that is handled.

@CDVEN There are some very simple tips for improving writing: 1) Know your ending. 2) Obey the rules of dialogue. 3) Give description to paint a picture, especially with dialogue. How are they saying it? Are they making expressions? Movement? That sort of stuff. I would honestly point to my work and a few others for great examples.

Epicocity

Yes, full canonization is how a ship survives. Some examples are Goku x Chichi, Sorato, Naruhina, Ichihime, among others.

You die with your ship, then, just like CGO and Purim have done. All power to you guys if that's the case. But I aim for something greater. Read below.

I'm gonna present this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IgP5wgDXc

That is Amour's condition right now, just got thrown into a Game Over screen. The screen gives us two options: Continue, or End.

Back in 1997, we find that the purpose of the anime is to see Ash's adventures in hopes of seeing him reach his goal of becoming a Pokémon Master.

About 20 years later, fans were completely hyped to see Ash in the finals of the League for the first time. He had what was arguably the strongest team he ever had, with a special and incredibly powerful Greninja with him, who had just defeated Sawyer's Mega Sceptile the match before despite having a type disadvantage. When the match against Alain actually began, Ash was put into an advantage by the end of the first half, and Ash still had the advantage throughout much of the second half. The Ash-Greninja vs. Mega Charizard X match was supposed to be Ash's moment as Pikachu dealt major damage to Charizard with a Thunderbolt. By making the match appear even, it looked as Greninja was going to finish Charizard off with a Water Shuriken that was more powerful than ever before.

We all know what happened from there. Ash yet again did not obtain his dream. Not only did he not fulfill it, he seemed perfectly content with a lower standard. That makes him OOC to not even have a moment of disappointment, or at least acknowledge what went wrong in that match. It's the worst moment in the entire anime, and that really says something. Now we know that the writers had absolutely no intention to actually fulfill Ash's dream anytime soon. After what has happened, I am convinced that the anime staff intends to please no one but themselves.

Again, because of what has happened in the 3-month span of August 18th to November 17th, now we know that nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing that happens in this show will ever mean anything. That's my beef against the anime. In XY(&Z) in particular, we now know that Ash-Greninja, the Team Flare-Zygarde arc and Amourshipping (for some examples) are now completely filler as they are now completely pointless for Ash's adventure in Alola. For no other reason than to keep this show continuing, we see Ash in a goofy comedy that at best distracts from the main premise of the anime given 20 years ago. Whatever merits the Sun and Moon anime may have, it's clear that nothing Ash does in the anime ever matters in terms of becoming a Pokémon Master. We all could very well die before Ash actually becomes a Pokémon Master.

Failure and defeatism is the recurring theme of the anime. Failure for just about every major character. For Ash's traveling companions, they get a goal, they fail at reaching the goal, and then they all get written out, never to be seen again, never fulfilling that goal. For the Permanent 5 (Ash, Pikachu and TRio), they get a goal, they fail at reaching the goal, then they fail again, and again, and again, and again, ad infinitum. All in a show full of broken promises and unfulfilled dreams. I am sick of it all. I've already had enough of such crap from politicans. I have never seen such a lack of respect for the protagonist or any of its characters like this. I ask you: How on earth is that a good thing?

I now return to Amour. Now to answer one's question: Why am I here? To ask if we, the fans, can do something to end the Cycle of Failure™.

I'm here to ask you all if we should do something about the status quo (though by civil and acceptable means), or if we should simply give up and declare Amourshipping dead. We can either sit down simply reminisce on those nice moments while writing fanfiction or drawing fan art, or we can do something to bring Ash out of the status quo and actually see him make progress towards his goal. If the latter somehow gets fulfilled, Amourshipping's chances to come back alive increase tremendously. Hence, we can either continue the game, or end and return to the title screen. The choice is entirely ours.

TL;DR - Ash is stuck inside an infinite loop. As long as it exists, nothing that happens in the anime will ever amount to anything, and Amourshipping stays dead. I want that bug exterminated.

Okay, seriously. Stop. Just...for the love of all that is good in this world, stop. All of us have given equal reason for why a ship is not dead, why it does not matter if it makes itself canon and the only reason you have to refute is...I don't even know what your reason is. I don't want to mini-mod, because mini-modding is bad, but a lot of us here get the feeling you're just coming in and talking negatively about the ship when we're now just trying to have some fun looking at old moments and art and fics to stoke that happiness in our hearts. I'll refer you to rule number 3 in the first post, which I'll conveniently paste below. Please take it to heart and let us (and the Aureliashippers on the other thread) enjoy it.

if we get the feeling that you are only here to constantly discourage Amourshippers and/or talk about how unlikely or bad the ship is, please leave.

RobSp1derp1g

On my way...
Too damn long post for me to quote.

Let's get things straight. First and foremost, you're right, Ash is indeed stuck inside an infinite loop. HOWEVER, Amour is not dead. We, shippers of all pairings, have writers who, well, write for their pairing of choice, artists who draw, and other fans who do what they can to support their ship. Look at Pokéshippers. They keep creating fanfics and drawings and discussions. And so do the AdvanceShippers, the PearlShippers, hell, every ship out there is alive, and they are kept alive by fans. And I could even go beyond that, and mention the anti-shippers.

The anti-shippers are those people who take time off busy schedules (the sarcasm is strong on this one) to troll people who ship. They seem to enjoy being part of the counter-culture, and that's fine, I'm just not fine with trolls. I could mention a certain Youtuber whose name starts with a V, ends with a Y, and has "erlisif" in the middle, but I won't.

And regarding the Fanfic Book Club... I'd love to be a part of it, and will see how I can manage my time to best make it happen.

Navin

MALDREAD
Yes, full canonization is how a ship survives.

Even if Amour ended up as a one-sided canon, people will still ship it lol.

About 20 years later, fans were completely hyped to see Ash in the finals of the League for the first time. He had what was arguably the strongest team he ever had... By making the match appear even, it looked as Greninja was going to finish Charizard off with a Water Shuriken that was more powerful than ever before. We all know what happened from there. Ash yet again did not obtain his dream. Not only did he not fulfill it, he seemed perfectly content with a lower standard. That makes him OOC to not even have a moment of disappointment, or at least acknowledge what went wrong in that match. It's the worst moment in the entire anime

All right, let me correct some things.

1. The Kalos League was presented as a B-plot to the Team Flare climax. It was rushed, entire rounds were skipped, reserves were not used, no cameos of previous characters watching on TV, etc. I'm glad Ash's first league victory didn't happen in that fashion.

2. The Kalos regional team isn't any better than other regional teams.

3. Ash reached the finals. Yeah, you could argue his match against Tobias in the Sinnoh League was basically the finals, and that the rest of the Kalos League was full of garbage trainers, but the fact remains he reached his highest placement yet at a league. Ash always loses when reaching one step higher, so he lost this time around. However, it sets precedent that he can now win a league from Sun&Moon onward.

4. Ash had a similar reaction losing to Tyson in the Hoenn League. He knew he was against a clearly better trainer, but his team gave the good fight.

now completely pointless for Ash's adventure in Alola. For no other reason than to keep this show continuing, we see Ash in a goofy comedy

That remains to be seen. Ash could very well be retaining his OS>AG>DP,XY progression, and there could be significant continuity to XY and earlier. Series tonality doesn't change that (and the comedy will disappear if the in-game events are adapted).

How on earth is that a good thing?

It's not a "good thing." The anime pre-BW suffered from snail-pacing in progressing Ash. Post-BW it suffers from that plus the fear Ash could get 'reset.' Post-XY it seemed to fix but the latter but introduced the issue of having next to no major continuity to previous series. The issues with the anime are well-stated, but whether or not Ash reaches his goal anytime soon is still up there. There is precedent to win it all this time, and the fact that the S&M games have no existing Champion (you become the first Champion), maybe he does take the title this time.

TL;DR - Ash is stuck inside an infinite loop. As long as it exists, nothing that happens in the anime will ever amount to anything, and Amourshipping stays dead. I want that bug exterminated.

There's nothing you can do regardless.

Epicocity

My reason is that as long as the status quo continues, nothing ever gets fulfilled. Isn't that obvious?

I am not here to discourage people. I am here to ask if we can do something to end Ash's pathetic loop.

No, we can't. So, we take it as it is. We enjoy it. We breathe what we can. It doesn't matter if it gets fulfilled or not. If it does, great. If not, there are a lot of options. You may think you're not discouraging, but your words come off that way. A shipping only dies when we let it, really, in the case of Pokemon. Seriously, though, find a good fic. Read it. Enjoy it. You'll see how many of us great writers are still out there supporting the ship because it doesn't matter if it goes canon (to the extent of Pokemon, it kinda has); what matters is what we make of it.

@Rob, feel free to chime in whenever. We might start a next chapter at any time but you can always pop in with past ones at any point of the day!

Following off of that: I can now open the discussion for Chapter 2 of Lights of Laverre! Have at it!

Last edited:

CDVEN

Average Trainer
My reason is that as long as the status quo continues, nothing ever gets fulfilled. Isn't that obvious?

I am not here to discourage people. I am here to ask if we can do something to end Ash's pathetic loop.

If you're not discouraging people then why are you always mentioning that we should give up this ship? Because of the status quo?

If you want to give up then okay fine, go ahead. It would be great if you leave this thread too.

You are taking this way too seriously. As a wise man said, shipping was never meant to be taken seriously. It was a way to appreciate new characters and have fun with them. Serena just happened to be Ash's perfect waifu which is why many shippers took it seriously although at the end they jumped ship.

As for ending the loop, nothing. It's their show, not ours. Meaning they can do whatever they want with it. Our opinion does not matter to them as the anime is all about promoting the franchise. If it wasn't then Ash would've won the League and finally got together with Serena.

Just leave, please. You're ruining the fun that other people are having in this thread.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i'm not too much of an amourshipper myself, but i still think serena is a wonderful character, so here is my question:

when or if serena makes a cameo appearance in the alola region, what would be your ideal scenario and how do you see her reunion with ash and introduction to his new friends go?

Red Pheonix

We. Can't. Do. Anything. There's not much point of talking about what we can "do" or whatever, we don't make the anime nor do we decide what happens in it. It just comes off as cries of desperation. Either accept whatever good has come or move on from here.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

The only people who can change that would be the audience in Japan. And the only way for the show to truly bend at fan demands would be if the fans themselves took over the anime production. Like say the new writers were children who grew up with the original Pokémon series. They would be more inclined to reference the past series than the old guard as their nostalgia sets in.

Amourshipping can never be dead as long as the kiss remains intact. And that can only be overridden by another girl. But I doubt they would want to risk that so soon. And really, I suspect Ash will continue his adventures even if he had won the League. He always has a taste for new things. In that regard, the kiss is more of status quo changer than a League win for Ash could always find an excuse to compete in the next League such as seeking new challenges. But to have an openly official love interest that remains a love interest, that's something completely unexpected and new.

And that's leads to a new question:

Would you rather have Ash win the League but no love confession from Serena when she departs or Ash lose the League but Serena finally confessing her feelings to Ash with a kiss?

lane

A Giant Goldfish
Lets start it-

What about the late/early teenagers?

2. I always imagined Grace teasing Serena at her crush.

Yep, its a Amour book club.

1. Then again, I don't think that even Serena herself thought, in her wildest dreams, that she'd get the courage to run up a moving escalator and kiss him. Heck, a first kiss would make anyone blush (except Ash because he doesn't really know proper protocol and whatnot).

The second 2: Grace does seem like the type of person to do that, once you thnk about it...

I was never too salty about the League loss, but I did enjoy the battle sequence for Sawyer and Ash. Beats Alain v Ash by a landslide, if ya ask me.

The only people who can change that would be the audience in Japan. And the only way for the show to truly bend at fan demands would be if the fans themselves took over the anime production. Like say the new writers were children who grew up with the original Pokémon series. They would be more inclined to reference the past series than the old guard as their nostalgia sets in.

Amourshipping can never be dead as long as the kiss remains intact. And that can only be overridden by another girl. But I doubt they would want to risk that so soon. And really, I suspect Ash will continue his adventures even if he had won the League. He always has a taste for new things. In that regard, the kiss is more of status quo changer than a League win for Ash could always find an excuse to compete in the next League such as seeking new challenges. But to have an openly official love interest that remains a love interest, that's something completely unexpected and new.

And that's leads to a new question:

Would you rather have Ash win the League but no love confession from Serena when she departs or Ash lose the League but Serena finally confessing her feelings to Ash with a kiss?

1. But you'll also admit that the generation that grew up with Serena kissing Ash is relatively small, and the older crowd that ships those two probably don't work for TPC and the animation studios. Just my $0.02.

2. Or it can be a guy. I doubt Amour is gonna be shut down anytime soon, if ever. The kiss is definitely a bigger smash to the status quo because it shows that TPC is ready and able to explore new bounds. A League win would be nice, yes, but it'd also signal that Ash may be finally getting tired of running amok with a new group of friends in a new country. But again, $0.02.

3. Again, never really cared for the League loss. He saved the world, mate.

Don Velasquez

El Patrón

Let's have some fun!

1. It stays very true to how she was written in the actual anime at that point: sweet, shy, and relatively calm, for the most part.

2. I was a tad perplexed by this question so I'll just piggyback off Phoenix's answer, lol

3. The way Ash was written here is spot on; again, like Phoenix said, I really enjoyed that "It's something you'll like, right?" line.

4. Everything flowed very nicely; no one was too OOC.