• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Shooti

Uber Trainer
Oh lol, I guess I wasn't clear. In terms of likelihood, the only one up there with Amour is Poke simply because it was the first and most known (height of the show's popularity) and there's enough mutual hints in that. But even that assumes the show's ending, or at least Ash as the MC, is years away. If the show ended tomorrow and you had to place bets, of course it'll be Amour. Hope that made sense.

Ash's hints have always been an interesting part while discussing about Ash-ships and their mutuality. For me, Amour has just as much strong hints from Ash's side as in any other Ash-shippings including pokeshipping. It's just that these hints he has shown is very different because his personality itself is very different in XY/XYZ series. XYZ Ash is the most serious and mature version of him we've ever seen. Even that "science is so amazing" running gag with Ash and Clemont was dropped in XYZ. Ofcourse, it would influence the class of shipping hints he'd have with Serena. He had many meaningful mature conversations about goals, future plans with Serena, he postponed his last gym battle for Serena, got snapped out of arguably his most depressed self because of Serena before mastering Ash-Greninja and most importantly he acknowledged the catalyst Serena was behind all these by thanking her, had moments with Serena in XYZ-45 (which some people call the date episode done right) and finally those sparkling eyes in XYZ-47 as a reaction to Serena's unexpected kiss.

Sparkling eyes have defined many iconic moments in the pokemon anime before like when May got separated from Manaphy, Misty releasing Togetic, etc. It was a perfect reaction of Ash keeping his current personality in mind from the writers/director of XYZ. My only complain with this was I wish it lasted bit longer from Ash's side. Other than that, it was a perfect conclusion of ship from Ash's side. His smile after the kiss is ambiguous but to me it seems to suggest that Ash is finally aware of how Serena feels about him. He wasn't sad because Serena herself wasn't.

Honestly, I'd have hated it if Ash had blushed following the kiss and I might be the only one in this thread who would have felt that way. Because it would just feel so OOC for Ash to blush, he hasn't in nearly two decades. I would like Amour to feel natural with both characters dropping hints which suits their character, blushing fits with Serena but to XYZ Ash it doesn't. Who knows? Maybe Alola Ash would blush if Serena returns and kisses him XD. About the absence of Ash's jealousy in Amour, I'd say I never saw Serena giving any reasons for Ash to get jealous by ignoring him for any other dude like Misty did in Orange Islands. But, that's just my opinion.

plxtreme

Love is in the Amour
If you guys don't mind a bit more of the interview contents:

• Oguro (Interviewer): I haven't watched the episode, so this might be a stupid question, but did Serena's love (for Ash) come to fruition? (Note: This interview was conducted hours before the final episode)
    [*]
    [*]Yajima (Director): It didn't in the episode. I ended it in a way that makes you think that her love will be fulfilled in the future. Serena told Ash that she's going to improve herself, and then come back to him. Afterwards, she did something that's revolutionary-worthy (laugh). In the middle of production, I added in a scene intended to show them kissing. It's just that I wasn't allowed to have them kissing on screen, so I had Serena's feet "floating" to show it instead.
    [*]
    [*]Oguro: So depending on how you view it, it seems like they might be kissing, right?
    [*]
    [*]Producer (No name): No, it should look like they were definitely kissing.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: (Laugh) Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to look ambiguous.
    [*]
    [*]Oguro: For Pokemon, the XY series is quite the transition. In XY, you guys included a scene where Serena was thinking if she was on a date with Ash when they were walking on the street, blushing and all. The drama itself is quite interesting, but it does make you think how her feeling will be brought to conclusion.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: I was the one who wrote the final episode, but I tend to put my pen down whenever it's their parting scene. "How should I end it so that it'd be fair for her" tend to be the reason.
    [*]
    [*]Producer: The actual scene differed from the screenplay, after all.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: That is true (laugh). The scene had her riding on the escalator for a bit, and then she ran back up and kissed him. Naturally, the escalator will take her down again, right? So while she's kissing him, she'll be pulled away. That's the scene that I wanted to make.
    [*]
    [*]Producer: Kids are the main target audience, after all, so among the things we can't do, this series is definitely on the edge.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: I was thinking if it's possible to portray the loneliness from being separated forcefully, and that's when I decided on using escalator.

Also, from the screenplay, Ash is actually dazed by Serena's kiss, rather than "he showed no reaction" as a few others may have speculated.

Fun fact: Clemont was supposed to be blushing and completely paralyzed after witnessing the kiss, including the part where they were saying their farewell to Serena.

Last edited:

AshSerena

• Oguro (Interviewer): I haven't watched the episode, so this might be a stupid question, but did Serena's love (for Ash) come to fruition? (Note: This interview was conducted hours before the final episode)
    [*]
    [*]Yajima (Director): It didn't in the episode. I ended it in a way that her love will hopefully come to fruition in the future. Serena told Ash that she's going to improve herself, and then come back to him. Afterwards, she did something that's revolutionary-worthy (laugh). In the middle of production, I added in a scene intended to show them kissing. It's just that I wasn't allowed to have them kissing on screen, so I had Serena's feet "floating" to show it instead.
    [*]
    [*]Oguro: So depending on how you view it, it seems like they might be kissing, right?
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: (Laugh) Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to be ambiguous.
    [*]
    [*]Oguro: For Pokemon, the XY series is quite the transition. In XY, you guys included a scene where Serena was thinking if she was on a date with Ash when they were walking on the street, blushing and all. The drama itself is quite interesting, but it does make you think how her feeling will be brought to conclusion.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: I was the one who wrote the final episode, but I tend to put my pen down whenever it's their parting scene. "How should I end it so that it'd be fair for her" tend to be the reason.
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: That is true (laugh). The scene had her riding on the escalator for a bit, and then she ran back up and kissed him. Naturally, the escalator will take her down again, right? So while she's kissing him, she'll be pulled away. That's the scene that I wanted to make.
    [*]
    [*]Producer: Kids are the main target audience, after all, so among the things we can't do, this series is definitely on the edge.
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: I was thinking if it's possible to portray the loneliness from being separated forcefully, and that's when I decided on using escalator.

Also, from the screenplay, Ash is actually dazed by Serena's kiss, rather than "he showed no reaction" as a few others may have speculated.

Fun fact: Clemont was supposed to be blushing and completely paralyzed after witnessing the kiss, including the part where they were saying their farewell to Serena.

Thanks for this! this was on magazine and i was planning to send some of the interview to Dephender to help me to translate it
but i can say 100% that all written here are from magazine :)

Last edited:

Epicocity

[*]
    [*]Yajima (Director): It didn't in the episode. I ended it in a way that her love will hopefully come to fruition in the future. Serena told Ash that she's going to improve herself, and then come back to him. Afterwards, she did something that's revolutionary-worthy (laugh). In the middle of production, I added in a scene intended to show them kissing. It's just that I wasn't allowed to have them kissing on screen, so I had Serena's feet "floating" to show it instead.
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Yajima: (Laugh) Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to be ambiguous.
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]

You're an MVP, and AshSerena, thanks for confirming that for us. So we now have even a producer confirming what it was definitely supposed to be. And that last part is absolutely brilliant symbolism. I love it. Their way of saying that, in the end, they don't want to be separated from one another but have to be. And glad to know they tell us what it was supposed to be (not that we didn't know but...hey, people try to think otherwise).

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato

[*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]

Lol, if only Children aren't their main target, amourshipping should have gotten away with more big hints but nonetheless, kudos to the team for going on the edge for at least once with that kiss.

"Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to be ambiguous."
Well if it's just a whisper to the ear, that would be a big mess for this ship, lol. But I doubt it's just that because, one, Bonnie and the rest won't be reacting the way they did, and two, Serena would have tripped over the escalator since nothing is supporting her as she leans forward. The kiss gave balance to her.

Well, this one is really obvious on his face and those sparkles on his eyes for a short moment. It's not just a neutral reaction, Ash did reacted to that. The only argument left there is whether Ash will reciprocate those feelings someday or not.

Last edited:

plxtreme

Love is in the Amour
Thanks for this! this was on magazine and i was planning to send some of the interview to Dephender to help me to translate it
but i can say 100% that all written here are from magazine :)

No problem! I still recommend sending the interview to Dephender, though. He may catch some of the mistakes that were overlooked, or have better interpretation of the dialogues.

"Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to be ambiguous."
Well if it's just a whisper to the ear, that would be a big mess for this ship, lol. But I doubt it's just that because, one, Bonnie and the rest won't be reacting the way they did, and two, Serena would have tripped over the escalator since nothing is supporting her as she leans forward. The kiss gave balance to her. The only argument left there is whether Ash will reciprocate those feelings someday or not.

I think Yajima was joking on that part. He made it pretty clear that they kissed over and over during the interview. At the very least, he made it clear that she didn't whisper "DORAGON KUROU" in his ears XD

SatoSere

[*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]

This confirms once more what we all knew Satoshi and Serena kiss in the mouth and are canon couple.
Everyone will see them together traveling in more regions, as protagonists/heroes with new dreams and develop their amour canon.
Faith in Pokémon Movie 20th - Kimi ni kimeta!; SM.

Last edited:

Satoshi no masara

I just read some few post a little (sorry for being late for this) but I just want to clear things about Amour's and Serena's popularity in Japan. I think some people are misunderstanding the popularity. Amourshipping is popular in Japan among the Pokemon viewers and not the overall Japanese viewers. Serena was also a popular character. Last 2016, a poll was held to which best female characters has the best short hair and Serena was on the top 20th (she was 18th but consider that there are a lot of female characters with short hair in the entire anime history and she was one of the lucky ones to be included). The term "SatoSere (サトセレ)" was also a trending tag in twitter for many times now and the prime example for this is the preview prior to the 'Date' episode and obviously after the kiss at the end of XY&Z. The tag "SatoSere (サトセレ)" was trending for almost 3 days after the 'kissing scene'. If you are familiar with Pixiv (a famous Japanese art website like DeviantArt), "SatoSere (サトセレ) has also generated a lot of fanarts, the tags サトセレ, セレナ(トレーナー) (Serena) and サトシ (Satoshi) were all one of the most searched tags for almost 2 weeks after XY&Z ended. The Serena-Ash cosplay also garnered a lot of fanarts even prior to the airing of that particular episode. And even at the earliest episodes of XY, mostly after XY007, SatoSere has been generating a lot of fanarts and novels (fanfictions).

I just want to let you guys be aware that Amourshipping is popular in Japan but not entirely, rather, mostly among their Pokemon fans. And like what Dephender mentioned, don't base the shipping's popularity by episode's ratings.

Last edited:

ZGMF-X666S Legend

Spatial Awareness

[*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]

Thanks plxtreme for these new set of interview translations. Thanks to these everything is clear now in regards to that special scene that we all witnessed on XYZ 47. It's now finally confirmed that it was indeed a kiss but out of respect for children who were also watching they have to make the necessary actions so they won't get in trouble :D. One thing I noticed within the contents of the interview is that the way Yajima responded to each of the interview questions other than the fact that he always jokes around or throws a laugh (please note that this is just my personal statement and I could be wrong on this) he seems to be careful on his responses to the point that he is preventing to leak more than what he has already said. From the way I see this, he might be stating that the story of amourshipping has just begun and that there is more for us to expect in the future.

Last edited:

Heekful

What would you use as the theme music for Amourshipping?

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBIAQ6pF0 I think it was the "unofficial" Amourshipping theme before the kiss (so sad they just used it for the childhood flashback scene)
or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ69Cs0zazI (don't need to explain why I guess)

I just read some few post a little (sorry for being late for this) but I just want to clear things about Amour's and Serena's popularity in Japan. I think some people are misunderstanding the popularity. Amourshipping is popular in Japan among the Pokemon viewers and not the overall Japanese viewers. Serena was also a popular character. Last 2016, a poll was held to which best female characters has the best short hair and Serena was on the top 20th (she was 18th but consider that there are a lot of female characters with short hair in the entire anime history and she was one of the lucky ones to be included). The term "SatoSere (サトセレ)" was also a trending tag in twitter for many times now and the prime example for this is the preview prior to the 'Date' episode and obviously after the kiss at the end of XY&Z. The tag "SatoSere (サトセレ)" was trending for almost 3 days after the 'kissing scene'. If you are familiar with Pixiv (a famous Japanese art website like DeviantArt), "SatoSere (サトセレ) has also generated a lot of fanarts, the tags サトセレ, セレナ(トレーナー) (Serena) and サトシ (Satoshi) were all one of the most searched tags for almost 2 weeks after XY&Z ended. The Serena-Ash cosplay also garnered a lot of fanarts even prior to the airing of that particular episode. And even at the earliest episodes of XY, mostly after XY007, SatoSere has been generating a lot of fanarts and novels (fanfictions).

I just want to let you guys be aware that Amourshipping is popular in Japan but not entirely, rather, mostly among their Pokemon fans. And like what Dephender mentioned, don't base the shipping's popularity by episode's ratings.

Don't forget that there is a lot of Satosere Twitter accounts too who are still there and ask the writers about Amour or Serena coming back , some writers already gave some answer but the answer is always "We don't know" or a like without answer. Serena was also trending a lot after her haircut episode , they even used a hashtag a lot this last month for Mayuki Makiguchi (Serena original VA) birthday.

Navin

MALDREAD
Ash's hints

Back in the very first thread, the expectation was there would be a definitive confirmation from his side (like with Serena), not something that could be subject to interpretation. Even with the kiss, when people say it's "neutral", it's not saying he didn't react. Of course he reacted, but it's "neutral" in that it doesn't play to any side. He could be shocked --> flattered/being nice and polite, or he could be reciprocating; even you acknowledge it's "ambiguous". While there were meaningful/serious moments like the river and snowball scenes, it's just weird the one they were pushing to be a love interest had arguably less banter/interactions with him (and I'm not trying to be harsh here) than previous girls. It's still the pairing most likely to be canon right now, but it wasn't handled all too well, so hopefully she makes an appearance in Alola and there's a more conclusive resolution.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
No problem! I still recommend sending the interview to Dephender, though. He may catch some of the mistakes that were overlooked, or have better interpretation of the dialogues.

Well, I did already revise it slightly a couple times.
That "hopefully" bit, though... he's talking about how the viewers are meant to feel here, not about his own personal hope. When you watch this scene, you're supposed to assume they'll end up together. It's meant to give you this "they have to, don't they? It would be a colossal shame if they didn't, because came on, look at this" feeling - it's not just a "hey, it'd be cool if they did, but who knows" thing.

I think Yajima was joking on that part. He made it pretty clear that they kissed over and over during the interview. At the very least, he made it clear that she didn't whisper "DORAGON KUROU" in his ears XD

I don't have the actual text for that bit, but it's pretty clear from the surrounding context he means the scene is supposed to look ambiguous, which is why they could get it into the show in the first place. Right before this bit, he says (paraphased) "I'm the one that made this scene, and they're meant to be kissing in it".

Also, here's another interesting bit... apparently the one that came up with the idea of the romance subplot wasn't actually Yajima?

Q: From the very beginning, XY comes across as if we're looking at Satoshi from Serena's point of view. Whose idea was this?
A: I believe this originated from something Shukichi Kanda said at a planning meeting; "Wouldn't it be interesting to have a female lead like this?". It was then proposed that we could do a scene where Satoshi and Serena met in the past that had romantic implications, and then we went off that and developed things from there.

Last edited:

AshSerena

That "hopefully" bit, though... he's talking about how the viewers are meant to feel here, not about his own personal hope. When you watch this scene, you're supposed to assume they'll end up together. It's meant to give you this "they have to, don't they? It would be a colossal shame if they didn't, because came on, look at this" feeling - it's not just a "hey, it'd be cool if they did, but who knows" thing.

I don't have the actual text for that bit, but it's pretty clear from the surrounding context he means the scene is supposed to look ambiguous, which is why they could get it into the show in the first place. Right before this bit, he says (paraphased) "I'm the one that made this scene, and they're meant to be kissing in it".

I actually wanted to send all the interview to you Dephender xD, but i dont have scanner here and i dont think using a camera phone will be good (thats why i can only send you some few Question and answer that looks interesting imo )
but thanks for this follow up :)

Last edited:

Heekful

Back in the very first thread, the expectation was there would be a definitive confirmation from his side (like with Serena), not something that could be subject to interpretation. Even with the kiss, when people say it's "neutral", it's not saying he didn't react. Of course he reacted, but it's "neutral" in that it doesn't play to any side. He could be shocked --> flattered/being nice and polite, or he could be reciprocating; even you acknowledge it's "ambiguous". While there were meaningful/serious moments like the river and snowball scenes, it's just weird the one they were pushing to be a love interest had arguably less banter/interactions with him (and I'm not trying to be harsh here) than previous girls. It's still the pairing most likely to be canon right now, but it wasn't handled all too well, so hopefully she makes an appearance in Alola and there's a more conclusive resolution.

I think you are taking this too seriously when it comes to Ash and Serena relationship because their relationship is made to not really interact if you know what I mean because Ash always said that he doesn't need to be worry about Serena because she is strong and that show how they trust each others , don't need to talk a lot when you trust and have confidence in a person.

Don't forget that Serena started to travel with the group in XY005 and leaves in XY140 so she got "only" 135 episodes when OS got 275 episodes , AG 191 episodes , D/P 191 episodes + all the cameos stuffs, don't forget in the Team flare arc and Kalos league they couldn't really interact because of the situation.

Now I'm going to talk about all the times they were alone and interacting :

They literally interacted first in XY005 when Serena started to say that she got a Fennekin but she doesn't know what to do , then Ash already did cheer her up and said "don't worry you will found something to do" then Alexia even spotted them and noticed how their relationship were and how Serena can help Ash when he needs to.

After all the fillers and the build up you got XY040 with the river scene when they got almost 3 minutes of screentime together talking about goals and stuffs and Ash told Serena that she needs to found a dream with her Pokemon, again , a serious talk without anything about comedy or stuffs like that to show that their relationship is really serious.

Before the gym battle against Korrina she helped him but all the stuffs were offscreen , but he even said in his mind "Serena was right" when looking at her and that helped him to win the gym battle...

In the date episode , they got again 3 minutes of screentime in the train and Serena helped Ash again and this time he gave the ribbon to thanks her , again serious moment with fireworks and stuff.

After her failure in the showcase , Clemont was worried but Ash told him "Serena is strong , don't worry for her" that mean again that he trusts her and he doesn't need to interact with her that much because he knows she will be fine and he was right because she got over it (that's why I always said that they know each others really well).

Then in XYZ 16 he moved his own last gym battle for her master class , correct me if I'm wrong but I never saw Ash putting his dream at the second plan for a Pokegirl before.

Again a serious moment after the Master class when they are at night together and Ash trying to cheer Serena up for her next performance, next , the Snowball scene , I don't think I need to talk about it because you mentioned it.

Then after all the plot things you got XYZ 44 when he said "I believe in you" to Serena , I don't think Ash ever said this in front of a girl before with that much of confidence.

Finally , you got the XYZ 45 when that was the first time Ash was excited to do shopping stuffs with a girl and he even noticed that Serena was not feeling that well and helped her (again , a hint that they know each others really well) you got almost 3min of screentime with these two together talking and he even said that all of Serena's Pokemon are strong and that he will always rooting for her , again correct me if I'm wrong but I never saw Ash said this to a Pokegirl, you can disagree with me but at the end , I don't think they needed to interact that much because of their relationship , I didn't even talk about the fist bump they did without saying any words, that proves that their relationship don't need too much interactions because they know each others really well and the confidence between them is insane and again don't forget that Serena didn't get too much episodes compared to the others Pokegirls (except maybe Iris).

Oh and I hope you understand all the things I meant because I'm french and I'm trying to do my best , nobody is perfect right ? xD

Last edited:

Satoshi no masara

The early translations you and AshSerena did gave me the idea that the writer wanted to have their fans the impression of Ash and Serena might become a couple one day. I hope we can get, if not 100%, the closest to the exact interview. No offense to plxtreme, I appreciate the translation you shared but it kinda confused me as well seeing AshSerena and Dephender's prior to the one you gave.

After reading those lines multiple times (I had to make sure, lol XD), it was clear to me that the scene was meant to be ambiguous yet clear that Ash and Serena kissed. It was meant to be left ambiguous for the sake of their actual audience (which are children) and not having it too bold for the show, leaving an impression of "Did they really kissed or not?". Yet it should also be meant that the scene had the two kissed. This was similar to how Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley was done with one of the bachelorette there and this game was also meant for young ages as well.

Also, here's another interesting bit... apparently the one that came up with the idea of the romance subplot wasn't actually Yajima?

Q: From the very beginning, XY comes across as if we're looking at Satoshi from Serena's point of view. Whose idea was this?
A: I believe this originated from something Shukichi Kanda said at a planning meeting; "Wouldn't it be interesting to have a female lead like this?". It was then proposed that we could do a scene where Satoshi and Serena met in the past that had romantic implications, and then we went off that and developed things from there.

Well, well, well and here's something that would clear up the shipping's development. It's nice to know that the ship was planned from the start, I mean, I already have that impression from the start but this pretty much confirms it.

I actually wanted to send all the interview to you Dephender xD, but i dont have scanner here and i dont think using a camera phone will be good (thats why i can only send you some few Question and answer that looks interesting imo )
but thanks for this follow up :)

Take your time, ;)
I don't think I can take all these information in one day. I'll die of heart attack with all these interviews, lol. So far, I'd like to take these information one at a time. It's making me thrilled and get excited for more. XD

Last edited:

AshSerena

Wait is that one of the interview i send it to you few hours ago? XD
anyway to make it clear i think it better if I'm gonna send you the interview about Serena and Ash kissing and translate for us xD, (if you can please :) )
give me a sec

plxtreme

Love is in the Amour

So it was suppose to portray the viewer's feelings rather than his own. Guess I misinterpreted that part. Thank you for clarifying!

I believe that was the context. That scene was only meant to look ambiguous, but we all know what happened between the two. Especially when considering that there was this line at the bottom of the screenplay page:

• In the final footage, based on the fact that Clemont and Bonnie was blushing behind Ash, it's pretty obvious what Serena did there.

The early translations you and AshSerena did gave me the idea that the writer wanted to have their fans the impression of Ash and Serena might become a couple one day. I hope we can get, if not 100%, the closest to the exact interview. No offense to plxtreme, I appreciate the translation you shared but it kinda confused me as well seeing AshSerena and Dephender's prior to the one you gave.

None taken. This is also the reason why I wanted AshSerena to sent then interview to Dephender so to clarify any mistakes I have made, specifically the contexts of the dialogues.

Last edited: