• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Mr. Guy

Banned
I strongly doubt we'll be seeing Serena again, even in a special; the kiss pretty much sealed the deal. If she ever came back, it'd be like the kiss never happened, effectively sinking the ship.

It's not an opinion.

If they had any plans to ever bring Serena back, the kiss wouldn't have happened.

The whole point of the kiss was to give Serena's character closure, and to throw AmourShippers one last bone before she left the show forever.

Or maybe the kiss shows Serena's special relationship with Ash and they plan to bring her back?

Silencers

Seasoned Trainer
It's not an opinion.

If they had any plans to ever bring Serena back, the kiss wouldn't have happened.

The whole point of the kiss was to give Serena's character closure, and to throw AmourShippers one last bone before she left the show forever.

I beg to differ the kiss was definitely a sign of return for her eventually. She even made her goal Ash and told him of said goal. If anything she will return later and in a special way or for an elongated time whether it be a region or whatnot.

Mr. Guy

Banned
Leaving Ash to follow her dreams was the best possible outcome for Serena's character.

If you're a fan of Serena, you should be glad her story was given a satisfying conclusion.

But a lot of AmourShippers, it seems, don't see Serena as a character; to them, she's just "Ash's girlfriend" and nothing more.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Leaving Ash to follow her dreams was the best possible outcome for Serena's character.

If you're a fan of Serena, you should be glad her story was given a satisfying conclusion.

But a lot of AmourShippers, it seems, don't see Serena as a character; to them, she's just "Ash's girlfriend" and nothing more.

I just expect Serena to be the endgame for Ash when his journey ends. It's pretty obvious, which even Yajima said, that the kiss was to tell viewers that it is expected that those two will end up together.

snorlax512

I just expect Serena to be the endgame for Ash when his journey ends. It's pretty obvious, which even Yajima said, that the kiss was to tell viewers that it is expected that those two will end up together.
The fanbase/audience by that time will be completely different, and 99% of people who watch Pokemon then will have no idea who Serena is.

Mr Guy is right. From a narrative perspective, the kiss is exactly how I would give closure to Serena's character.

Mr. Guy

Banned

Problem is, there is no "endgame" for this anime, and Yajima doesn't exactly have the authority to make that call, especially considering that he's not the director anymore.

Oguro (Interviewer): I haven't watched the episode, so this might be a stupid question, but did Serena's love (for Ash) come to fruition? (Note: This interview was conducted hours before the final episode)

Yajima (Director): It didn't in the episode. I ended it in a way that her love will hopefully come to fruition in the future. Serena told Ash that she's going to improve herself, and then come back to him. Afterwards, she did something that's revolutionary-worthy (laugh). In the middle of production, I added in a scene intended to show them kissing. It's just that I wasn't allowed to have them kissing on screen, so I had Serena's feet "floating" to show it instead.

Oguro: So depending on how you view it, it seems like they might be kissing, right?

Producer (No name): No, it should look like they were definitely kissing.

Yajima: (Laugh) Whether they kissed or she whispered something in his ear, that scene was supposed to be ambiguous.

Oguro: For Pokemon, the XY series is quite the transition. In XY, you guys included a scene where Serena was thinking if she was on a date with Ash when they were walking on the street, blushing and all. The drama itself is quite interesting, but it does make you think how her feeling will be brought to conclusion.

Yajima: I was the one who wrote the final episode, but I tend to put my pen down whenever it's their parting scene. "How should I end it so that it'd be fair for her" tend to be the reason.

Producer: The actual scene differed from the screenplay, after all.

Yajima: That is true (laugh). The scene had her riding on the escalator for a bit, and then she ran back up and kissed him. Naturally, the escalator will take her down again, right? So while she's kissing him, she'll be pulled away. That's the scene that I wanted to make.

Producer: Kids are the main target audience, after all, so among the things we can't do, this series is definitely on the edge.

And if there ever is an endgame for Ash's journey, Serena will have been long forgotten by then.

AshSerena

You know , people should stop assuming she's coming back or she's not coming back, no one knows it .
I remember the old days during the last episode of XYZ where people assuming it will end up like the prev series , people said it will going to be just normal "goodbye" for Ash and Serena(like how's the prev series did), But we got the kiss, who expected that? 1 more thing,Some people assuming Serena wont going anywhere since her dream is to become Kalos Queen , like they already knows what is gonna happen but look, She decided to go to Hoenn region. There 1 guy said he's 100% amourshipping is doomed to fail, Some people said the kiss was on forehead or on the cheek, some said she just whisper something (i know its a joke xD) then we got the interview from Yajima.

Then after the last episode of XYZ, all people who assume or said they are sure it will be just a normal goodbye episode for both Ash and Serena is like " Oh atleast amourshippers are happy now" lol

What I'm saying is no one knows whats gonna happen in future, If Serena is coming back (probably cameo) then that's good, if she's not coming back anymore then there's nothing to do about it, just accept it . Atleast we got the "kiss" from the last episode.

I still believing on Dephender words tho,
"Pokemon isn't a director-owned series, you're not going to get any kind of "I don't care what HE said, I'M in charge now" situation.

Also, keep in mind that
*all current writers, head writer included, worked on XY. It's not a new group.
*Kunihiko Yuyama is still executive director
*Daiki Tomiyasu worked on several major Serena and SatoSere episodes, including both XY60 and XY&Z28. He's not some new guy from elsewhere with no prior connection to the show

Treat what Yajima said as "what the staff said", not "what Yajima personally said", and keep in mind that all this stuff went through Yuyama as well. And Yuyama is both Yajima and Tomiyasu's boss."

But I agree with Mr.Guy said, we should be glad her story was given a satisfying conclusion.

tbh right now im more interested about how Serena going to interact with Lillie if she's going to Alola region in future, I like amourshipping but at same time i like her character too, same with Lillie xD
Plus i miss her voice already :/

Sorry for the long post

Mr. Guy

Banned
I'm pretty sure main companions won't be forgotten that easily, it's been +- 15 years no Misty around and pretty sure she's not forgotten.

Misty was one of the original companions, so she has the benefit of nostalgia.

No one's going to have nostalgia for Serena 15 years from now.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Guys, can we stop this discussion? Obviously you're allowed to voice your opinions on Amourshipping and Serena returning but I'm not liking what's going on in here. This fighting needs to stop now.

That's all. Carry on.

Misty was one of the original companions, so she has the benefit of nostalgia.

No one's going to have nostalgia for Serena 15 years from now.

Serena's the most popular female companion.

Honestly, I get you want to voice your opinion, but there's no reason to like invalidate Amour entirely. I'm going to stop arguing, but AmourShipping by far has the most Serena and Ash hints, most popular shipping, only shipping where two people kissed, and so many more.

AmourShipping broke many barriers and at that time the director of the anime who probably still had serious pull explicitly said that Serena is the endgame for Ash IF there is an endgame.

Many of us believe that Amour helped Serena's character and we still believe in Amour

It's fine if you don't, but we do

And how is Serena's kiss full ending closure for Amour? And yes that is an opinion.

At the same time, I agree with ashserens and what we have right now is fine

I'm done

Last edited:

Don Velasquez

El Patrón
Now? Yes. In the show's entire history? Not even close.

The most Serena hints, you mean.

There hasn't really been an official poll of sorts so you can't discredit his statement either. To each their own.

Not sure if you and I watched the same series, but Ash had his hints too. :p

Now? Yes. In the show's entire history? Not even close

The most Serena hints, you mean.

What does your first statement even mean? She's popular and she not popular. If she's currently the most popular that makes her more popular than the rest of the female leads.

You can check on Bulbapedia if you wish, Ash hints for Amourshipping are much larger compared to previous shipping

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
There needs to be a lot of reform on the shipping pages on Bulbapedia in general. Everyone tends to have a lot of clutter mixed in with genuine hints. It's been a concern for years now, and no one has really made much of an effort to help it yet.

Navin

MALDREAD
There hasn't really been an official poll of sorts so you can't discredit his statement either. To each their own. Not sure if you and I watched the same series, but Ash had his hints too. :p

The show isn't as globally popular as it used to be, so people aren't going to even know of Serena. So she's the most popular now perhaps (assuming Lillie hasn't taken over) among those still following the anime, but not the most popular in the show's running history. Hope that made sense. I know that, but not necessarily the most hints from him relative to others.

You can check on Bulbapedia if you wish, Ash hints for Amourshipping are much larger compared to previous shipping

And just like with the other shipping pages, so many of those aren't bonafide hints, but interpretations that could boil down to just being friendly.

Heekful

The show isn't as globally popular as it used to be, so people aren't going to even know of Serena. So she's the most popular now perhaps (assuming Lillie hasn't taken over) among those still following the anime, but not the most popular in the show's running history. Hope that made sense. I know that, but not necessarily the most hints from him relative to others.
And just like with the other shipping pages, so many of those aren't bonafide hints, but interpretations that could boil down to just being friendly.

Lillie is only popular for her game counterpart, obviously she is more popular for those who only play the games and don't watch the anime but her anime counterpart ? No way , all of her merchandises have Nebby in it which prove that for now only her game counterpart is popular, the anime counterpart is only there to be cute (for now, I hope she'll have a story related to her game story in the future) so there's no way anime Lillie is more popular than anime Serena... Game Lillie ? Yes obviously.
And I totally agree with you that Serena will never have the popularity Misty (and Brock eventually) had when the show was airing around 1997 and 2000 even if she is the most popular now.

Now about Ash's hints I have something to share , it's a post from the SS Amour (don't want to tell the name of the user who posted this) who really well explained Ash's side in this shipping :

"Now...I'm not sure if you watched Ash and Serena's journey but I remember that when I was almost exclusively an Advancer, the measure of success of a ship had much more to do with how well the two characters would work together, not necessarily their relationship on the show. In some cases the two were mutually inclusive, but any quick glance at an array of alternative Dawn shippings would tell you that this isn't always the case. Amour was the first time that the anime ever took a consistent relationship/crush arc for longer than two episodes or so. It's the only pairing with a hint that can't simply be dismissed as shippers reading into it too far, no matter how you view it. I would dare to contest that Amour wasn't really more one-sided than most other Ash pairings, it just appeared to be next to the sheer magnitude of Serena. If amour was truly one sided then all the other big ones are "zero sided" fan concepts (no hate). The way some people go on about it it's as if Serena has a high school crush on some aloof guy who barely acknowledges her existence, while at the same time said guy has feelings for someone else. An example of a truly one sided ship would be one between Serena and Tierno.
People always say it's one-sided but it's because we primarily saw a lot of Serena moments. It's not that we didn't see Ash moments because there was many moments, but rather that Serena has so many moments it makes you think Ash didn't have any when it's not the case (watch XY&Z 45 if you want to watch a whole episode focused on Ash's side)."

Oh and take this as what I personally said, I have exactly the same opinion but since I'm not english native it's hard to explain my view so I took a post from someone else.