• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
How does misty/brock coming back in SM count as a journeys’ cameo? Also why the fixation on pokegirls? Brock, tracey, cilan and clemont haven’t appeared as well…
Misty and Brock came back in SM, which isn't technically Journeys no, but it's a hell of a lot closer than DP when May last appeared. Max is attached to May and Tracey is probably never coming back, but yes, Clemont, Bonnie, and Cilan last appeared in a side story episode after XY. It's much more common for the female lead to return (May appeared in Sinnoh without Max, Dawn appeared in Unova without Brock) so I've been discussing it on that basis.

Morax

King of heroes
Misty and Brock came back in SM, which isn't technically Journeys no, but it's a hell of a lot closer than DP when May last appeared. Max is attached to May and Tracey is probably never coming back, but yes, Clemont, Bonnie, and Cilan last appeared in a side story episode after XY. It's much more common for the female lead to return (May appeared in Sinnoh without Max, Dawn appeared in Unova without Brock) so I've been discussing it on that basis.
It’s closer but it’s not journeys’. Misty, brock, tracey, may, max, cilan, bonnie and clemont haven’t cameo’d this season so serena is not alone.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Many believe May will never be recast out of respect to KAORI, whose health unfortunately remains on the decline (the veracity of this is uncertain, especially after Oak was quickly recast after Ishizuka passed in 2018). That would leave Serena as the odd one out, for no clear reason other than story awkwardness. It'll be interesting to see what happens if she ever does come back.
Ishizuka's passing isn't comparable with May.

Ishizuka was still around in the show and had a recurring characters under his name (Oak, "Alolan" Oak on SM) AND did the narration. So that's why we had him eventually recasted since there were episodes where Samson appears ready at the time. Same thing is with Giovanni.

May is a whole different deal. After her leaving, Kaori didn't have much else to do in the show

EIGHT YEARS AGO AMOURSHIPPING WAS BORN

AND ON OCTOBER 27th: 5TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE KISS

Also who is the biggest Amourshipper on the forum and why is it me

Morax

King of heroes
People have been speculating at Ash's exit from the anime for 2 decades now. It feels unlikely, but so did the Alola league. I'd caution anyone from thinking that his retirement would automatically mean a scene with Ash and Serena together, especially if she never appears at all in Journeys. I suppose it might be possible for her to appear towards the end and coax Ash into settling down, but that's hard to really say.
Can someone explain to me how serena not appearing in journeys or the season after that prevents amour from being the endgame ship? They could just give us a timeskip. The whole process of ‘MC reciprocating her feelings’ don’t need to happen onscreen. A lot of (shounen) anime do this, attack on titan being the most recent example of it.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Can someone explain to me how serena not appearing in journeys or the season after that prevents amour from being the endgame ship? They could just give us a timeskip. The whole process of ‘MC reciprocating her feelings’ don’t need to happen onscreen. A lot of (shounen) anime do this, attack on titan being the most recent example of it.
Yeah, it's all about building context. Marrying Ash off to a character that hasn't been seen in 5 years is a lot less likely than marrying him to a character that's active in the series. For a lot of viewers, especially the target demographic who haven't been alive, let along watching for even half of the anime's nearly 25-year history, this would be a completely random development. It's fair to argue that reciprocity and relationship development don't need to happen on-screen, but the character needs to be around in some form or it'll look completely out of left field to any casual viewer.

Morax

King of heroes
Yeah, it's all about building context. Marrying Ash off to a character that hasn't been seen in 5 years is a lot less likely than marrying him to a character that's active in the series. For a lot of viewers, especially the target demographic who haven't been alive, let along watching for even half of the anime's nearly 25-year history, this would be a completely random development. It's fair to argue that reciprocity and relationship development don't need to happen on-screen, but the character needs to be around in some form or it'll look completely out of left field to any casual viewer.
I mean serena was created as a potential wife/girlfriend. Not to mention he is her goal. If she does not fulfill her basic purpose in the story then what was the point of her character?

And besides, for a casual viewer what’s the difference between iris suddenly revealed to be the unova champion and serena revealed to be his girlfriend? Both of of these developments can happen offscreen.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
I mean serena was created as a potential wife/girlfriend. Not to mention he is her goal. If she does not fulfill her basic purpose in the story then what was the point of her character?

And besides, for a casual viewer what’s the difference between iris suddenly revealed to be the unova champion and serena revealed to be his girlfriend? Both of of these developments can happen offscreen.
I've long believed that Serena was part of an option to write Ash out at the end of XY, that ultimately wasn't taken. Without settling down with Ash, she's a character who found a path in performing during her series, growing both in that venture and personally. I agree that her character is unfulfilled at least in part, but the roadblock is in Ash's storyline, not in hers.

Ash is the main character of Journeys (and the anime), Iris isn't. For long-time fans it's development in her story and a nod to the BW2 games, but for casual viewers, she's just another random character of the day, introduced to be x person who has x role and does x thing. Iris could obviously become champion on her own, and her becoming champion doesn't impact Ash's story at all; they still barely intersect. Serena settling down with Ash would obviously have a significant impact on Ash's story since it involves him directly. It's a logical progression in Serena's story, but completely random in Ash's at this point.

Morax

King of heroes
I've long believed that Serena was part of an option to write Ash out at the end of XY, that ultimately wasn't taken. Without settling down with Ash, she's a character who found a path in performing during her series, growing both in that venture and personally. I agree that her character is unfulfilled at least in part, but the roadblock is in Ash's storyline, not in hers.

Ash is the main character of Journeys (and the anime), Iris isn't. For long-time fans it's development in her story and a nod to the BW2 games, but for casual viewers, she's just another random character of the day, introduced to be x person who has x role and does x thing. Iris could obviously become champion on her own, and her becoming champion doesn't impact Ash's story at all; they still barely intersect. Serena settling down with Ash would obviously have a significant impact on Ash's story since it involves him directly. It's a logical progression in Serena's story, but completely random in Ash's at this point.
I think we’re giving too much importance to that position. Serena being his wife need not impact ash’s storyline. It’s just another thing that could happen offsreen. She could very well be x person who has x role and does x thing. The timeskip could be her reintroduction episode. I mean that’s how cameos work in this anime? For the casual viewer said character is a random person but for old fans it’s someone they know and love.

You’re taking the ‘demographic’ thing too literally. It’s not like children don’t know who serena is. In this age of internet and online streaming one google search can give you the kiss.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
I think we’re giving too much importance to that position. Serena being his wife need not impact ash’s storyline. It’s just another thing that could happen offsreen. She could very well be x person who has x role and does x thing. The timeskip could be her reintroduction episode. I mean that’s how cameos work in this anime? For the casual viewer said character is a random person but for old fans it’s someone they know and love.

You’re taking the ‘demographic’ thing too literally. It’s not like children don’t know who serena is. In this age of internet and online streaming one google search can give you the kiss.
My guy did you really just say Ash getting married doesn't affect his story?

Morax

King of heroes
My guy did you really just say Ash getting married doesn't affect his story?
Edit : i'm saying that serena doesn't need to show her face every season because they will get married offscreen anyways. You don't need to reintroduce her to the new audience.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Edit : i'm saying that serena doesn't need to show her face every season because they will get married offscreen anyways. You don't need to reintroduce her to the new audience.
Every season, no. The season this hypothetical marriage actually happens, absolutely.

Morax

King of heroes
Every season, no. The season this hypothetical marriage actually happens, absolutely.
But that’s the thing, It’ll happen offscreen? They can reintroduce her after this hypothetical marriage. “This girl travelled with ash throughout kalos, had a crush on him and they’re now happily married”.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
But that’s the thing, It’ll happen offscreen? They can reintroduce her after this hypothetical marriage. “This girl travelled with ash throughout kalos, had a crush on him and they’re now happily married”.
I already went through this clearly man, it's just bad storytelling. It comes straight out of left field and there's no way they'll just pack the reintroduction, relationship, marriage, and domestic life into a few minutes like that unless they're absolutely desperate to end Ash's tenure. A major event like that needs time to build up to it. There were 135 episodes of buildup between their reunion in Kalos and the kiss, but could you imagine how absurd it would be for Serena to find Ash, kiss him, and walk off in the span of an episode? Similarly, it would certainly be at least a few episodes between reintroduction and marriage. Even with a time skip, there needs to be time to re-establish who Serena is, let the audience wonder a little bit about their status together, how well they can handle each other and their past, and whether or not Ash reciprocates, let them have a heart-to-heart together, and then possibly have a time skip.

Morax

King of heroes
it's just bad storytelling
Bruh this is pokemon. It’s not known for quality storytelling xD

You think it’s gonna be a major event but it’s not. You won’t get a kukui x burnett style wedding episode, that’s not how this genre (battle shounen) works. Reminder that Goku and chi-chi got married and had a kid offscreen, so did ichigo and orihime from bleach, and edward and winry from fullmetal alchemist and tanjiro and kanao from demon slayer. On the off chance they decide to give us a wedding, they can reintroduce serena right before the ceremony. The whole ordeal wouldn’t take more than 2 episodes.