• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Bruh this is pokemon. It’s not known for quality storytelling xD

You think it’s gonna be a major event but it’s not. You won’t get a kukui x burnett style wedding episode, that’s not how this genre (battle shounen) works. Reminder that Goku and chi-chi got married and had a kid offscreen, so did ichigo and orihime from bleach, and edward and winry from fullmetal alchemist and tanjiro and kanao from demon slayer. On the off chance they decide to give us a wedding, they can reintroduce serena right before the ceremony. The whole ordeal wouldn’t take more than 2 episodes.
lol man you're the one bringing it back up after two weeks looking for an explanation. You got one. Idk which of those couples went five years/250 episodes without any screentime and then just got married, but I suspect you're just trolling by this point anyways. If you can't see how it might be completely ridiculous to go from no mention of character in years to married within an episode or two, I can't help you.

Morax

King of heroes
lol man you're the one bringing it back up after two weeks looking for an explanation. You got one. Idk which of those couples went five years/250 episodes without any screentime and then just got married, but I suspect you're just trolling by this point anyways. If you can't see how it might be completely ridiculous to go from no mention of character in years to married within an episode or two, I can't help you.
>trolling
why do i get accused of this every time i try to argue about satosere's potential future? :(

How do you expect them to handle serena? she's not the main character anymore. Her return would most likely be focused on gou/koharu. How would you introduce a love interest to a new audience without sidelining her in favor of new characters?

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
>trolling
why do i get accused of this every time i try to argue about satosere's potential future? :(

How do you expect them to handle serena? she's not the main character anymore. Her return would most likely be focused on gou/koharu. How would you introduce a love interest to a new audience without sidelining her in favor of new characters?
Probably because you're steadfast in your argument but don't do much to address concerns or flaws. For example, I explained my perspective about 3 different ways, and you essentially came back with "ok but what if they did"

What I'd expect and what I'd do are completely separate. Ideally, considering Ash probably won't be written out this series, it would be nice for Serena to have a cameo for a few episodes like Dawn, have her and Ash interact and discuss what happened before, with a resolution to keep on their respective paths but keep in touch and meet again. I'd love some cute scenes of them sending postcards back and forth in future series, nods like that to keep this storyline going and perhaps that would culminate in the type of scene you want someday. What I expect, however, is exactly what we have now. Bringing back Serena without a clear strategy is clumsy and so far, it's been a lot easier for the writers to just not. The elephant in the room is just too big to handle casually.

Morax

King of heroes
Probably because you're steadfast in your argument but don't do much to address concerns or flaws. For example, I explained my perspective about 3 different ways, and you essentially came back with "ok but what if they did"
Oh......thanks for the advice :>
What I'd expect and what I'd do are completely separate. Ideally, considering Ash probably won't be written out this series, it would be nice for Serena to have a cameo for a few episodes like Dawn, have her and Ash interact and discuss what happened before, with a resolution to keep on their respective paths but keep in touch and meet again. I'd love some cute scenes of them sending postcards back and forth in future series, nods like that to keep this storyline going and perhaps that would culminate in the type of scene you want someday. What I expect, however, is exactly what we have now. Bringing back Serena without a clear strategy is clumsy and so far, it's been a lot easier for the writers to just not. The elephant in the room is just too big to handle casually.
See the problem i have with serena returning and interacting with ash is that they need to address her confession. She told him that she wants to impress him and will return when she's good enough for him. She wants to be a better person for him and if he doesn't accept her then all of her development would be for nothing. Like you said the elephant in the room is too big to ignore. Ash needs to show some interest in her......

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
See the problem i have with serena returning and interacting with ash is that they need to address her confession. She told him that she wants to impress him and will return when she's good enough for him. She wants to be a better person for him and if he doesn't accept her then all of her development would be for nothing. Like you said the elephant in the room is too big to ignore. Ash needs to show some interest in her......
I think Serena can be accomplished in her own right without requiring Ash to validate her (and I think she needs to realize this. You're absolutely right that she did literally state it, I'm just realizing how much I don't like this aspect of her character). But otherwise yes I agree, it will realistically be very hard to execute any sort of return.

Morax

King of heroes
I think Serena can be accomplished in her own right without requiring Ash to validate her (and I think she needs to realize this. You're absolutely right that she did literally state, I'm just realizing how much I don't like this aspect of her character). But otherwise yes I agree, it will realistically be very hard to execute any sort of return.
It’s fair to not like that aspect of her character but that is how it is. If ash doesn’t fall in love with her someday her development was meaningless. :/

She is written like a classic shounen heroine, whose only purpose in the story is to be the MC’s wife when they grow up. Mikasa from attack on titan, hinata from naruto etc but you probably know that already :p

Xuxuba

I think her development's purpose was to simply entertain the audience while she was still in the show and they achieved that, at least for me. Perhaps some educational aspects were involved too, since it's a kids show, like teaching that it's okay to take your to figure what you wanna do and that if you don't try you will never know.

Either way, it is not so much about the crush itself but how she grew to become confident enough to be able to convey her feelings.

As much as i like amourshipping and Serena in general, i doubt this anime will end anytime soon and by the point that it does reach it's conclusion, Ash will most likely have other romantic interests and there will be no guarantee Serena will be the one he picks. That is, if they ever decide to age him and give him a wife for the finale, there is also a chance the anime ends with him still being 10 aswell lol

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
I think her development's purpose was to simply entertain the audience while she was still in the show and they achieved that, at least for me. Perhaps some educational aspects were involved too, since it's a kids show, like teaching that it's okay to take your to figure what you wanna do and that if you don't try you will never know.

Either way, it is not so much about the crush itself but how she grew to become confident enough to be able to convey her feelings.

As much as i like amourshipping and Serena in general, i doubt this anime will end anytime soon and by the point that it does reach it's conclusion, Ash will most likely have other romantic interests and there will be no guarantee Serena will be the one he picks. That is, if they ever decide to age him and give him a wife for the finale, there is also a chance the anime ends with him still being 10 aswell lol
I agree, a lot of Serena's story was her personal development, learning to find her own path and express herself. She did ultimately leave Ash's side voluntarily, I think there's something to be said for that.

I have to disagree with you on that last point though, after nearly 25 years of this I can't imagine Mr. Dense As Bricks starts taking other romantic interests lol

I think that the longer it feels that XY/XYZ feels like it's in the rearview, the less chance they do anything substantive with Serena and AmourShipping. I agree with @Manqoba that fundamentally it's just unlikely that'll they do something as big as have her get married to Ash randomly in the future without any build-up or screen time in the show.

On a more meta point about about her character and her relationship to Ash, I've always been steadfast in my belief that it was great for her character and I'm a huge fan of the double entendre meaning of what she said to Ash in her final moments. It wasn't just a confession or a statement of love for him, but it was also emblematic of her character development and the different person she became at the end of the series and that's something her relationship with Ash facilitated.

The quality of that ending is reflective of how difficult I think a return would be for Serena. Theoretically, I don't think it's hard at all and would be easy to write if the anime had a lot more rope, but I don't think it has that kind of leeway nor the level of competency behind it currently and it's those things as well as just the fundamental structure of the show that will continue to give me pause.

I still think it's possible though. The anime has been in a major state of flux and Journeys, the AU movies, and the plentiful amount of shorts are representative that. I could just be overthinking it and maybe Serena does come back and she continues to both be confident in her feelings for Ash and herself and just having those two things be readily apparent in her return would be perfect for me.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes

yeah about love interests...........they didn't give him one for 20 years. It's been 5 years since "she" left and they haven't created another. Its highly likely that they're sticking with "her".

And besides another love interest would just be serena 2.0 with her crushing on ash and him being clueless so why not just use her instead (same argument for replacing ash). If this anime taught us anything is that none of the main characters have overlapping goals. It's like ash is the only person who wants to be a pokemon master, iris is the only person who wants to be a dragon master and serena is the only person who wants to be with ash. And it'll likely stay that way.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Miette says hi.
Miette is one of my favorite characters not gonna lie

honestly not sure if she genuinely had feelings for Ash though? She barely interacted with him at all, sometimes I feel like it was much more about pushing Serena to take action or getting another arena for competition and some friendly-ish jabbing than it was that Miette seriously wanted Ash for herself

Morax

King of heroes
I think that the longer it feels that XY/XYZ feels like it's in the rearview, the less chance they do anything substantive with Serena and AmourShipping. I agree with @Manqoba that fundamentally it's just unlikely that'll they do something as big as have her get married to Ash randomly in the future without any build-up or screen time in the show.

On a more meta point about about her character and her relationship to Ash, I've always been steadfast in my belief that it was great for her character and I'm a huge fan of the double entendre meaning of what she said to Ash in her final moments. It wasn't just a confession or a statement of love for him, but it was also emblematic of her character development and the different person she became at the end of the series and that's something her relationship with Ash facilitated.

The quality of that ending is reflective of how difficult I think a return would be for Serena. Theoretically, I don't think it's hard at all and would be easy to write if the anime had a lot more rope, but I don't think it has that kind of leeway nor the level of competency behind it currently and it's those things as well as just the fundamental structure of the show that will continue to give me pause.

I still think it's possible though. The anime has been in a major state of flux and Journeys, the AU movies, and the plentiful amount of shorts are representative that. I could just be overthinking it and maybe Serena does come back and she continues to both be confident in her feelings for Ash and herself and just having those two things be readily apparent in her return would be perfect for me.
Why are we being so pessimistic about it? Journeys may be a hot mess but it has proven that writers haven't forgotten even the smallest of details. Serena's crush and her confession are pretty big guns so why wouldn't they utilize them?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I feel Miette wasn't interested in Ash at first, but rather just "trolling" Serena by being so shy, specially considering she travels with her crush. Maybe she developed some interest, but something mild and low key like "that person is kind of cute"

Xuxuba

yeah about love interests...........they didn't give him one for 20 years. It's been 5 years since "she" left and they haven't created another. Its highly likely that they're sticking with "her".
They actually did, they were just mostly secondary characters and/or slightly hinted at. Granted they were barely developed at all.

And besides another love interest would just be serena 2.0 with her crushing on ash and him being clueless so why not just use her instead (same argument for replacing ash).
Tbh i think you underestimate this show's potential to recycle characters and storylines lol

Like them giving yet another Eevee to a female main character and making a big deal out of which eeveelution they will go for.
I feel Miette wasn't interested in Ash at first, but rather just "trolling" Serena by being so shy, specially considering she travels with her crush. Maybe she developed some interest, but something mild and low key like "that person is kind of cute"
Yeah, Miette could care less about Ash. She just wanted to push Serena's buttons lol

Morax

King of heroes
They actually did, they were just mostly secondary characters and/or slightly hinted at. Granted they were barely developed at all.
Yes they were all irrelevent characters of the day. The only characters who matter in the long run are his traveling companions and none of them had a crush on him except serena.
Tbh i think you underestimate this show's potential to recycle characters and storylines lol
Maybe, or maybe you're giving them too little credit. They are trying their best with what they are given. So far none of the main characters had overlapping goals and that's a big detail a lot of people tend to overlook. Development plots and pokemon have been recycled to death, but not character aspirations. Brock wasn't replaced with another brock, misty wasn't replaced with another misty and i don't think serena will be replaced with another serena.

\God i need a break from these threads. can't believe i'm getting worked up over a kids show smh :/

Xuxuba

Yes they were all irrelevent characters of the day. The only characters who matter in the long run are his traveling companions and none of them had a crush on him except serena.
Yeah i am not getting into that rabbit hole today...

Maybe, or maybe you're giving them too little credit. They are trying their best with what they are given. So far none of the main characters had overlapping goals and that's a big detail a lot of people tend to overlook. Development plots and pokemon have been recycled to death, but not character aspirations. Brock wasn't replaced with another brock, misty wasn't replaced with another misty and i don't think serena will be replaced with another serena.
That is according to your definiton of a goal, which is unusual to say the least.
Becoming a top coordinator and finding out what you wanna do could easily be characterized as goals, both of which we already had before with Dawn/May and Serena/May.

And the thing is... It is not really a matter of not giving the writers credit (tho i do think most of them are mediocre at best, with only a few great exceptions like Omode and Tomioka).

Overall, there is nothing wrong with recycling a few traits or even goals, as long as you are giving it a new perspective. And that is kind of inevitable with shows going as long as Pokémon.

Morax

King of heroes
Yeah i am not getting into that rabbit hole today...

That is according to your definiton of a goal, which is unusual to say the least.
Becoming a top coordinator and finding out what you wanna do could easily be characterized as goals, both of which we already had before with Dawn/May and Serena/May.

And the thing is... It is not really a matter of not giving the writers credit (tho i do think most of them are mediocre at best, with only a few great exceptions like Omode and Tomioka).

Overall, there is nothing wrong with recycling a few traits or even goals, as long as you are giving it a new perspective. And that is kind of inevitable with shows going as long as Pokémon.
A character is defined by what they desire. Ash is that boy who wants to be a pokemon master, Gou wants to catch and Serena wants to be with Ash. That is all i have to say and this will probably be my last post in this thread. Thank you and have a nice day.

Amourshipping Day is tomorrow in Japan!

The problem with Serena coming back is that Ash acts like a 5 year old. Just end the anime please, it’s a mess, they made Ash’s character a giant mess.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
ash confessed his love for dawn in a song 11 years ago but even the pearlshippers aren't ready for that conversation