• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
You know i’m right. Her next cameo will be the same sh!t : they get pulled away because “destiny”. Did you know i used to be an amourshipper? And then i lost all interest in it because these writers refuse to let them age.

Better that than derailing Amourshipping for a new Ash pairing, which is far too common in comic books.

Seriously, Pokemon is the one of the better franchises to handle a floating, comic book timeline. At least you don't have to worry about some editor undoing a marriage between a beloved couple just because they felt it made their protagonist too old.

Speed22

You know i’m right. Her next cameo will be the same sh!t : they get pulled away because “destiny”. Did you know i used to be an amourshipper? And then i lost all interest in it because these writers refuse to let them age.
Oh here we go. The "I'm an Ex-Amourshipper" Defence. We know what the problems with this series are, the discussion of them has been done to death!

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
Better that than derailing Amourshipping for a new Ash pairing, which is far too common in comic books.

Seriously, Pokemon is the one of the better franchises to handle a floating, comic book timeline. At least you don't have to worry about some editor undoing a marriage between a beloved couple just because they felt it made their protagonist too old.
True lol can’t deny that. But pokemon suffers from a different problem, stagnation.

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
True lol can’t deny that. But pokemon suffers from a different problem, stagnation.
all is stagnant until some dude gets smooched on an escalator

Observer

Mostly watching

Spider-Man One More Day, I have heard a lot of negative reception to that story and let's not even get into the Ric Grayson storyline from Nightwing.

Morax

King of heroes
all is stagnant until some dude gets smooched on an escalator
And what exactly did that change? There’s been no change in his feelings. All it did was reinforce the fact that serena had a crush on ash and that she won’t give up on him. While it’s more than any other ship got, it’s not exactly progress unless it brings about a change in the boy.

I’m going to be honest: I was scared about how they would handle Serena’s return. I thought that they would ruin Amourshipping because of how JN has been a complete clusterfuck. But this? This was better than what I expected.

I feel bad for Lisia as she was overshadowed by Serena, but it seems like Lisia fangirls over Serena which is cute. I also loved seeing Yamper, Cerise watching his daughter was funny, and the Altaria gag was cute too. Serena mentoring Chloe is amazing and I’m so glad they had Serena’s Sylveon be the last Eeveelution or otherwise it would’ve been a huge missed opportunity. The bond between Sylveon and Eevee was so cute and I love how there were flashbacks to Serena’s Eevee. Serena’s appearance shows how much she’s matured and how she wasn’t really kidding when she said that she would become a more mature woman. I love how Serena quoted Ash’s exact words of inspiration to Chloe, that made me tear up. It shows that Serena still holds Ash very dear to her heart. Serena told Chloe that she was just like her when she started her journey, not knowing what to do in life, which is super inspiring, and how now she makes others smile, just like she said she was going to in XY. There was a baity scene where Chloe was on the phone with Goh and Ash and Serena turned her head to the side… yeah. I like how Chloe was remembering all her past experiences with the Eeveelutions when she was getting on stage. Serena’s performance was amazing, but it was a huge missed opportunity not to play Dori Dori. WE GET TO SEE MY BOY PANCHAM AGAIN!!!! Serena’s Braixen also evolved into Delphox, which further showcases her growth not only as a trainer, but also as a person. Lisia’s performance was decent as we see a Mega Altaria for the second time in a row, but I like Serena’s better. I like how there were glowsticks similar to the ones seen in showcases.

I loved seeing May and Dawn in a flashback, but sadly I think this is May’s only appearance she’ll get in this series. Wallace was very annoying and it was clear that he was only there to be a roadblock that prevented Ash and Serena from spending significant time together. Even without that, it seemed like a very dickish move to hold Ash by his shirt to prevent him from seeing a friend in a contest. Swampert only got 5 seconds of screen time of course. Honestly it should have been a 1v1 instead of a 3v3. And Ash wins, but Wallace gives him a badge and his scarf. Then the Altaria comes running past and Goh chases after it lol.

Now comes the big finale. At sunset, Serena bids Chloe farewell at the dock and gives Chloe’s Eevee the same ribbon that her Eevee previously wore. Chloe says that Serena let her discover a new side of herself, which is just what Serena was there to do. I love how Serena inspired Chloe just like Ash inspired her. And speaking of Ash… he comes running past her and onto the boat. Serena notices him, and he notices her as they both call each other’s name out and ask how the other is doing. I thought that Serena and Ash wouldn’t meet at all in this episode, so I’ll take this, but I’m also sad because I wanted them to talk longer. The boat begins to depart with Ash on it, so similar to how the escalator pulled Serena away from Ash after she kissed him. Although they don’t blush, both Ash and Serena’s eyes sparkle as they tell each other about the other’s goals. Ash then says to Serena that he’ll see her again, and Serena is seen waiting until the boat departs. Ash and Serena’s long awaited reunion, although only a minute long, is super powerful and shows how strong of a bond they have. This was so sweet and I loved it, and it leaves room for them to meet again. This scene also makes me think that both Serena and Ash feel something that is more than a friendship. We already know that Serena loves Ash (evidenced by her kissing him), and Ash’s eyes were shining just like they were when she kissed him. Ash saying that they’ll see each other again seals it for me. Both of them reaching for their goals, reaching for the highest heights, and inevitably, reaching for each other. It's moments like these that make me love Amourshipping so much. However, I don’t think Serena will show up again in JN as she wasn’t in the opening and JN is on a time crunch plus I feel like they’ll keep Ash on, but I hope I’m wrong. The only thing that I disliked was the lack of Serena’s ribbon, considering how it signaled her and Ash’s relationship. Overall, this was a great episode, and Serena’s return is one of the best companion returns for JN considering how much she helped Chloe develop and had a satisfying reaction with Ash.

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Since they hype has died down a little, I'm kinda feeling empty inside now. I still want more of Serena. I still want to see her interacting more with Ash. If there's anything that JN105 reminds me is that she's no longer the main heroine and she won't be a regular character. We can only hope that she will come back in future episodes. I kept rewatching that last scene. To me, there's a small hope in there that she will return and reunite with him again for a longer time.

Anyway, I just want to put it out here and wanna share how I feel since I'm not sure how much I can contain this empty feeling inside. Ash and Serena's brief interaction was really the highlight for me and really made me hope for more. I was ready to drop the anime completely but after this episode, it's only making me ask for more.

Whelp, that's about what I wanna say, I'm probably just going to play Elden Ring to keep me distracted for who knows how long

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
And what exactly did that change? There’s been no change in his feelings. All it did was reinforce the fact that serena had a crush on ash and that she won’t give up on him. While it’s more than any other ship got, it’s not exactly progress unless it brings about a change in the boy.
lol if you want Ash to fall in love with someone, you should just stop watching and stop wasting your time hanging around places like these. Ash has been impossibly dense from episode 10 onward and that's not changing anytime soon, but crushes and kisses aren't status quo.

Honestly, if you weren't here ten years ago before XY began, you might not understand how relatively desolate the shipping landscape was in Pokemon. If another girl was staring at Ash's departing ship as long as Serena did after interacting with only him as soon as she saw him at the departure, their shipping community would've considered it major evidence. Back when people heard Miette call Serena out with "if you don't tell Ash how you feel about him, I'll tell him how I feel", they went absolutely ballistic. And if you weren't here 6 years ago before the kiss, you might not understand the extent of the fear that Serena and Ash would be written out with nothing, or realize just how much of a victory the kiss was. It was a major step with a traveling companion that hasn't happened before or since, and it's unlikely ever will.

If the only thing you'll accept out of AmourShipping is Ash falling in love, marriage and kids, you should really just leave until you get the news Ash has been retired. Maybe check back in 2028 when Gen 10 should be wrapping up. But if you're going to insist on sticking around here, at least try to understand that different people have different desires and expectations for the pairing. Not everyone needs everything to be an on-screen, long-term relationship for them to be happy with it. Hell, I think most Pokemon shippers have accepted that will never happen for their pairing, and at least as early as Best Wishes, usually from the first day. When we've been blessed with the strongest ship in canon, it's really completely silly to reject it just because it's not exactly as we wanted.

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214
I’m going to be honest: I was scared about how they would handle Serena’s return. I thought that they would ruin Amourshipping because of how JN has been a complete clusterfuck. But this? This was better than what I expected.

I feel bad for Lisia as she was overshadowed by Serena, but it seems like Lisia fangirls over Serena which is cute. I also loved seeing Yamper, Cerise watching his daughter was funny, and the Altaria gag was cute too. Serena mentoring Chloe is amazing and I’m so glad they had Serena’s Sylveon be the last Eeveelution or otherwise it would’ve been a huge missed opportunity. The bond between Sylveon and Eevee was so cute and I love how there were flashbacks to Serena’s Eevee. Serena’s appearance shows how much she’s matured and how she wasn’t really kidding when she said that she would become a more mature woman. I love how Serena quoted Ash’s exact words of inspiration to Chloe, that made me tear up. It shows that Serena still holds Ash very dear to her heart. Serena told Chloe that she was just like her when she started her journey, not knowing what to do in life, which is super inspiring, and how now she makes others smile, just like she said she was going to in XY. There was a baity scene where Chloe was on the phone with Goh and Ash and Serena turned her head to the side… yeah. I like how Chloe was remembering all her past experiences with the Eeveelutions when she was getting on stage. Serena’s performance was amazing, but it was a huge missed opportunity not to play Dori Dori. WE GET TO SEE MY BOY PANCHAM AGAIN!!!! Serena’s Braixen also evolved into Delphox, which further showcases her growth not only as a trainer, but also as a person. Lisia’s performance was decent as we see a Mega Altaria for the second time in a row, but I like Serena’s better. I like how there were glowsticks similar to the ones seen in showcases.

I loved seeing May and Dawn in a flashback, but sadly I think this is May’s only appearance she’ll get in this series. Wallace was very annoying and it was clear that he was only there to be a roadblock that prevented Ash and Serena from spending significant time together. Even without that, it seemed like a very dickish move to hold Ash by his shirt to prevent him from seeing a friend in a contest. Swampert only got 5 seconds of screen time of course. Honestly it should have been a 1v1 instead of a 3v3. And Ash wins, but Wallace gives him a badge and his scarf. Then the Altaria comes running past and Goh chases after it lol.

Now comes the big finale. At sunset, Serena bids Chloe farewell at the dock and gives Chloe’s Eevee the same ribbon that her Eevee previously wore. Chloe says that Serena let her discover a new side of herself, which is just what Serena was there to do. I love how Serena inspired Chloe just like Ash inspired her. And speaking of Ash… he comes running past her and onto the boat. Serena notices him, and he notices her as they both call each other’s name out and ask how the other is doing. I thought that Serena and Ash wouldn’t meet at all in this episode, so I’ll take this, but I’m also sad because I wanted them to talk longer. The boat begins to depart with Ash on it, so similar to how the escalator pulled Serena away from Ash after she kissed him. Although they don’t blush, both Ash and Serena’s eyes sparkle as they tell each other about the other’s goals. Ash then says to Serena that he’ll see her again, and Serena is seen waiting until the boat departs. Ash and Serena’s long awaited reunion, although only a minute long, is super powerful and shows how strong of a bond they have. This was so sweet and I loved it, and it leaves room for them to meet again. This scene also makes me think that both Serena and Ash feel something that is more than a friendship. We already know that Serena loves Ash (evidenced by her kissing him), and Ash’s eyes were shining just like they were when she kissed him. Ash saying that they’ll see each other again seals it for me. Both of them reaching for their goals, reaching for the highest heights, and inevitably, reaching for each other. It's moments like these that make me love Amourshipping so much. However, I don’t think Serena will show up again in JN as she wasn’t in the opening and JN is on a time crunch plus I feel like they’ll keep Ash on, but I hope I’m wrong. The only thing that I disliked was the lack of Serena’s ribbon, considering how it signaled her and Ash’s relationship. Overall, this was a great episode, and Serena’s return is one of the best companion returns for JN considering how much she helped Chloe develop and had a satisfying reaction with Ash.
You know I agree with all of your point but this last scene of serena waiting even after the boat had gone far away until it was night was a nice moment for me that she dearly missed him as everything has already been said I would have wished if she and ash had an interaction longer but until next time whenever that happens I will wait for their next reunion still hope that some day she returns again this was a beautiful thing that happened at the last scene

This scene I will never forget as this was a beautiful moment for me i will always remember it
To be honest I had liked her character in xy but serena after this episode now I like her more

Serena in this episode
-she was mature
- she was an independent women
- she had come a long way and her pokemon were really strong
- she helped chloe on her own and inspired her just like ash had inspired her
- I liked her performance
- was happy that her braixen evolved into delphox
- her interaction with ash was nice at the end even if it was short but really this part I wanted if they both had a long interaction
- she has really improved a lot from the last time we had seen her
- and most importantly the flashback of serena with her eevee was nice as well when she was interacting with chloe

Lastly out of all the companions return in the journeys so far hands down the serena's return was the best one I would have ever asked for.

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
lol if you want Ash to fall in love with someone, you should just stop watching and stop wasting your time hanging around places like these. Ash has been impossibly dense from episode 10 onward and that's not changing anytime soon, but crushes and kisses aren't status quo.

Honestly, if you weren't here ten years ago before XY began, you might not understand how relatively desolate the shipping landscape was in Pokemon. If another girl was staring at Ash's departing ship as long as Serena did after interacting with only him as soon as she saw him at the departure, their shipping community would've considered it major evidence. Back when people heard Miette call Serena out with "if you don't tell Ash how you feel about him, I'll tell him how I feel", they went absolutely ballistic. And if you weren't here 6 years ago before the kiss, you might not understand the extent of the fear that Serena and Ash would be written out with nothing, or realize just how much of a victory the kiss was. It was a major step with a traveling companion that hasn't happened before or since, and it's unlikely ever will.

If the only thing you'll accept out of AmourShipping is Ash falling in love, marriage and kids, you should really just leave until you get the news Ash has been retired. Maybe check back in 2028 when Gen 10 should be wrapping up. But if you're going to insist on sticking around here, at least try to understand that different people have different desires and expectations for the pairing. Not everyone needs everything to be an on-screen, long-term relationship for them to be happy with it. Hell, I think most Pokemon shippers have accepted that will never happen for their pairing, and at least as early as Best Wishes, usually from the first day. When we've been blessed with the strongest ship in canon, it's really completely silly to reject it just because it's not exactly as we wanted.

If people want Ash and Serena actually professing their love for each other, start dating and eventually get married, then they ought to look at Phineas and Ferb: Act Your Age to see how the anime would have to handle it. Like Pokémon, Phineas and Ferb all takes place in the summer. A hundred and four days to be exact. And how many episodes there in Phineas and Ferb? 129. And how long did the actual show ran? 8 years. Yes, it is an eternal summer in Phineas and Ferb that also somehow got Christmas episodes. So how does one deal with childhood romance paying off?

phinabella.png

A deliberate time skip where the protagonists are older and more mature to seriously engage in a romantic relationship. Now Pokemon isn't going to do that any time soon because future is never that clear (especially when it comes to Ash's new Pokémon). But if they want to actually realize Ash and Serena as an official couple, the time skip is needed as it allows the characters to finally grow up while still leaving room for more adventures in the vague timeline gap.

Ironically, Phineas is just like Ash, oblivious to Isabella's crush on him throughout the eternal summer. He wouldn't realize his own crush on Isabella or the fact Isabella had a crush on him until he finally grows up years later. Turns out Phineas may be oblivious as a kid, but his subconscious does love Isabella.

The same thing can be said about Ash. He may be oblivious on the surface, but his subconscious feelings do surface from time to time when it comes to Serena. It just requires a little time skip and growth in maturity for him to fully comprehend what he's feeling. But that is best left to imagination as the seeds are already there. There's no need to water them and watch them grow unless the anime team really wants to explore a world where Ash is grown up.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
As I mentioned in the episode review thread, I have some Amour-specific thoughts after watching the new full-episode subs. It took a while to post this because I struggled to put my thoughts into words. And I got stuck overanalyzing things...

Tasting Essay Time!

The last three minutes of the episode were amazing. I couldn't think of a better way to handle their first scene together in over five years. I think they reinforced the ship and, in my opinion, provided some evidence that Ash feels something more than friendship towards Serena. And while JN is starting to get short on time, I really don't think this is the last we've seen of Serena in this series.

It was kind of awkward when Ash ran into Dawn and Chloe near the end of the Darkrai/Cresselia two parter. He was more focused on Cresselia than catching up with Dawn. Ash and Serena's interaction was very different. He seemed genuinely excited to see her, and he started talking with her right away. He focused on her, not her Pokemon or the Contest. It's significantly different than his interactions with any of his former companions.

They both seemed disappointed that they had to cut the conversation short when the boat was ready to depart. You can feel the disappointment they share because they don't more time.

I feel like they are building things back up by flipping around Ash and Serena's last few interactions at the end of XY. He doesn't confess to Serena, but he tells her about his tangible goal that is achievable. This is not only a goal that she accepts, but she aligns her goal to his. There is no question or hesitation from either of them. They say a lot without directly saying it.

One more thing that stood out to me was that Serena told Ash that she was rooting for him (and Chloe). This is the same thing that Ash told her at the of XYZ. She has grown to be his equal, and it feels like he has accepted that he is her goal.

There is one more interesting reversal that I noticed. The end of this episode is a reversal of the end-of-series Pokegirl goodbye. I went back and rewatched Dawn's goodbye when Ash left Sinnoh and Lillie's goodbye when she left Alola (I couldn't rewatch May's goodbye because Amazon wants to charge me for the Hoenn seasons). In both cases, the girl runs back towards Ash and yell out thank you and goodbye. Here, it's Ash who's yelling out to Serena, and its the opposite of the usual "Ash and Pokegirl go their separate ways" stuff.

Serena doesn't seem depressed or sad when we finally see her face after the boat pulls away. She's smiling, and her "Let's Go" to Sylveon fells like its delivered with a renewed sense of purpose.

Amourshipping is not only on solid ground, but, in my opinion, it's kind of subtly confirmed as a two-way ship. They've built Serena up to be Ash's equal - a mature, confident young woman who is reaching the top of her field. She is someone who has achieved her goal, and is now waiting for Ash to achieve his.

As I said above, I think this sets up Serena's return later in Journeys. I think this will happen for two reasons. The first is logistical reasons. You don't go through the effort to redesign the character and go to great lengths to hide their return for a single appearance.

The second reason is Chloe. We know that Chloe is a romantic from the Chrysa/Psyduck episode. She also figured out that Ash was the Pokemon fanatic that Dawn traveled with. Now that she knows that Ash and Serena also traveled together. It won't take her long to see that Ash was the person who had that profound impact on Serena's life, and I could see her going out of her way to get them connected.

If people want Ash and Serena actually professing their love for each other, start dating and eventually get married, then they ought to look at Phineas and Ferb: Act Your Age to see how the anime would have to handle it. Like Pokémon, Phineas and Ferb all takes place in the summer. A hundred and four days to be exact. And how many episodes there in Phineas and Ferb? 129. And how long did the actual show ran? 8 years. Yes, it is an eternal summer in Phineas and Ferb that also somehow got Christmas episodes. So how does one deal with childhood romance paying off?

phinabella.png

A deliberate time skip where the protagonists are older and more mature to seriously engage in a romantic relationship. Now Pokemon isn't going to do that any time soon because future is never that clear (especially when it comes to Ash's new Pokémon). But if they want to actually realize Ash and Serena as an official couple, the time skip is needed as it allows the characters to finally grow up while still leaving room for more adventures in the vague timeline gap.

Ironically, Phineas is just like Ash, oblivious to Isabella's crush on him throughout the eternal summer. He wouldn't realize his own crush on Isabella or the fact Isabella had a crush on him until he finally grows up years later. Turns out Phineas may be oblivious as a kid, but his subconscious does love Isabella.

The same thing can be said about Ash. He may be oblivious on the surface, but his subconscious feelings do surface from time to time when it comes to Serena. It just requires a little time skip and growth in maturity for him to fully comprehend what he's feeling. But that is best left to imagination as the seeds are already there. There's no need to water them and watch them grow unless the anime team really wants to explore a world where Ash is grown up.
I was just thinking about this episode as I wrote this. I think the payoff will be sooner than "undefined future" though. I feel like the writers are moving the pieces into place for Ash's endgame...

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
I honestly don't find it discouraging that Serena wasn't in the intro. Dawn wasn't in an intro either, and she's appeared in multiple episodes as well as the four-episode Arceus side series. Meanwhile, Iris was actually in an intro and she's only been seen once. I really prefer the surprise inclusions more; I mean, in the span of 72 hours, we've gone from "Serena is maybe coming back who knows there's a leak that might be credible" to "Serena is confirmed to return" to the episode airing and Serena actually returning. It'll keep us on our toes and really drives the point that anything can happen at any time. Not too much point in getting down because things are foreseen to go badly when there's so little we can actually foresee.

phinabella.png

Yeah, I'm familiar with this episode and I think they handled it really well. In Amour's case, I don't think that they necessarily need to have a timeskip to get the ball rolling, but it would help. Ash and Serena are already able to have relatively deep, one-on-one conversations about things like their goals in life and it's not too much of a stretch to think they could discuss their relationship too, possibly without having to write Ash out of the anime altogether like a timeskip would require. But once they do get ready to retire Ash, the Phineas and Ferb model wouldn't be a bad one to follow.

Morax

King of heroes
On a serious note, i don’t understand why they can’t make Ash blush or something? If this is truly supposed to be the endgame ship why not develop it from his side too? Even something like “i wanted to talk to her more” would have sufficed but no, status quo is god.

My take on the last episode:

- When Serena said: "If you are going to be the best, I'll aim to be the best performer too!" It means that he is still her goal as the phrase "if" indicate it is connected to him. She wants to be an equal match.

- Sylveon notice that there is something after Serena and Ash had brief reunion, which means she still has feeling for Ash. Further proved by her choice to stay at the pier until the ship get far.

- Green light means permission to proceed (it doesn't even need Gatsby Theory). Oh and there is a sailing ship...

- The BGM sound romantic, but isn't the title is "Friends Foverer"? Frienzoned?

Heekful

My take on the last episode:

- When Serena said: "If you are going to be the best, I'll aim to be the best performer too!" It means that he is still her goal as the phrase "if" indicate it is connected to him. She wants to be an equal match.

- Sylveon notice that there is something after Serena and Ash had brief reunion, which means she still has feeling for Ash. Further proved by her choice to stay at the pier until the ship get far.

- Green light means permission to proceed (it doesn't even need Gatsby Theory). Oh and there is a sailing ship...

- The BGM sound romantic, but isn't the title is "Friends Foverer"? Frienzoned?

The BGM is also just named « Serena/Calem theme » I don’t know which one is the official name and what is the Japanese name. Even if it ends up to be officially named « Friends forever » I don’t think it’s that big of a deal lol but it’s still just labeled as Calem/Serena theme in the XY games.

They played it very few times during XY&Z : One time when Ash talked to Greninja about his past in the Snowbelle city forest cave and when Mairin reunited with Alain, this BGM always was used for characters that were really connected with each others.

Motor Bug2005

The BGM is also just named « Serena/Calem theme » I don’t know which one is the official name and what is the Japanese name. Even if it ends up to be officially named « Friends forever » I don’t think it’s that big of a deal lol but it’s still just labeled as Calem/Serena theme in the XY games.

They played it very few times during XY&Z : One time when Ash talked to Greninja about his past in the Snowbelle city forest cave and when Mairin reunited with Alain, this BGM always was used for characters that were really connected with each others.

In Japanese, it has the title "Friend's Theme (See You Again!)" but in the context of Amourshipping, I think it's quite the stretch to suggest that the title means that there's a friendzoning happening.