• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Speed22

Setting aside how relevant ratings really are in the age of streaming, it works even less for this episode since serena’s return was a suprise. Part of the reason it was even trending on twitter was people being shocked about it after the episode and diving back to watch it.

In return, the online version of the videos got a lot of views. The one on the pokemon channel on YT got to 900k while the one on TV tokyo’s channel got 300k which is probably even more suprising. I didn’t check NND tho.

For comparison’s sake for a more normal ammount of views, this week’s episode is only nearing 300k on the pokemon channel and only 20k on TV tokyo’s. It’ll still increase till thrusday, but it won’t even be close since the lion’s share of views is on the first few days.

Make sense actually. Dawn is easily the 2nd most popular of the pokegirls, so they’re probably the most competive since they feel they’re the closest.

I think it’s the same even in the JP side considering some of things i’ve seen.
So that's like, 1.2 million views across the TV Tokyo and Pokemon channels? Yeah, it kind of says it all really. A lot of people didn't catch on to it until after the fact. I would say the same thing if it was another character returning. But as for that last part, I'm both interested to know more, and dismayed that the shade throwing might not be limited to just the west.
Eh ratings don't really impact the anime that much and are pretty meaningless these days.

Im a fan of Dawn's and I can't stand Korrina; I definitely prefer Serena over her and I really don't see the appeal of Korrina at all lol.
Exactly. It's just another thing that's effectively white noise at this point. Social media trends are probably more relevant in the modern age.

As for Korrina, it was just done to rile up Serena fans and part of their "Canon Girl" crusade. And another thing, 4chan mocked the artist, once said artist caught on to what was happening to their art.

Falconmaroni

We're in 2022 not 2003, ratings on TV don't matter much anymore. I remember people talking about declining ratings ever since BW, then XY, then SM, etc. Of course the anime is not going to be as popular as it was during the OS-DP era, but that's also because online streaming wasn't much a thing in the early 2000's. Also the official TVTokyo also uploads episodes to youtube these days and then takes them down after a week, as the Serena ep was on the official Pokemon youtube channel.

Hell, I remember when Misty fans used to constantly claim the animes ratings decline after the OS had to do with Misty leaving, when in reality the original fad of the franchise died down so of course it wasn't going to be as popular as when it first started.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
…. I mean the episode was spoiled days before it aired and the poster was leaked early. So it’s not like a good portion was unaware.
That was wide knowledge in fan circles. But how many of the casual or regular viewers knew about it?

Eh ratings don't really impact the anime that much and are pretty meaningless these days.
We're in 2022 not 2003, ratings on TV don't matter much anymore. I remember people talking about declining ratings ever since BW, then XY, then SM, etc. Of course the anime is not going to be as popular as it was during the OS-DP era, but that's also because online streaming wasn't much a thing in the early 2000's. Also the official TVTokyo also uploads episodes to youtube these days and then takes them down after a week, as the Serena ep was on the official Pokemon youtube channel.
Viewership numbers and impressions are still important. It ties into how much money the show can bring in, whether it is a streaming platform paying for the rights to the show or advertisers paying for spots when it airs on TV. That is the main reason why viewership numbers are important. Streaming services are better for this because the platform and production team can get better data.

But it doesn't really say anything about how popular a show is. That's where social media comes in. Someone in TPC's marketing department is abusing Microsoft Excel right now trying to measure all of the data they're scraping from Twitter, Reddit, and even forums like Serebii.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Just a reminder that those YT videos are region locked to Japan (last I recall), and only a tiny minority of those views would have been via usage of VPN to bypass the regional restriction. So if 1.2m views came from Japanese viewers only, imagine what it would have been if they allowed worldwide viewing.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So, apparently the new spam on 4chan is the fact that Serena's episode didn't crack the top 10 in ratings last week. Even though there was little promotion for her and that Pokemon doesn't do well in the ratings in general either. Also conveniently, ratings are almost always brought up to throw shade at XY.
The anime's ratings have been declining for a long time and if I recall correctly, it's been a while since Pokémon made it.

But as the others said, those rating numbers don't mean much nowadays. If I recall, Japan finally picked up that thing americans used to do - I think it's called DVR - so they can watch the episode later.
So that's like, 1.2 million views across the TV Tokyo and Pokemon channels?
Not really because it's possible the same person had viewed the episode in both channels. I've shown my support for Serena by giving views and likes on both the Pokémon JP and the CoroCoro Channels (yeah, CoroCoro's got the episodes as well)
Just a reminder that those YT videos are region locked to Japan (last I recall), and only a tiny minority of those views would have been via usage of VPN to bypass the regional restriction. So if 1.2m views came from Japanese viewers only, imagine what it would have been if they allowed worldwide viewing.
I can confirm they are region locked.

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Is the third outfit fanmade?
Everything here seems fanmade. Novanoah has been known for having drawings close to the anipoke artstyle. If it's not that obvious, just look at the "Ribbon" on her left foot, should be beads on the back.

Don't forget that the artist also made a mockup magazine depicting Ash and Serena as adults with children. Nearly fooled a lot of Japanese fans (which is actually impressive all things considered)

Hyuuga28

This is my first time posting here in quite a while (I was under "Graham Aker"), and I was quite the advocate for this pair. I didn't comment on it back in 2016 but I did not expect the kiss to happen and was honestly pretty floored (was pretty happy though) when it did. However, in the back of my head, some small part of didn't want her to appear again (on screen with Ash) because I felt that IF she appeared again it be completely ignored.

In a lot of ways the episode felt like it was trying it's hardest to maneuver around touching on it (it's by far his shortest reunion to date) and I'm not entirely sure that's a good sign for it's future in potential later cameos...different director visions and all, with this one seemingly just going for platonic friendships all around. I'd personally love to hear how the Japanese fandom looked at it because I know it's very popular. Do they think it's more platonic-ish now, or unchanged? I'd say it feel like it's in a sort of limbo.

That being said, it was good to see Serena take a different role and use the words Ash used for her. Seeing how far she's come from her early XY days as a result of Ash's influence and her own hard work was truly a treat.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
Can't imagine official artwork is going to have the creator's DeviantArt in the bottom lol, but one can dream
I'd personally love to hear how the Japanese fandom looked at it because I know it's very popular.
By everything I've heard, it was received much better in Japan than it was around this thread. People seemed pretty excited

Satoshi no masara

This is my first time posting here in quite a while (I was originally "Graham Aker"), and I was quite the advocate for this pair. I didn't comment on it back in 2016 but I did not expect the kiss to happen and was honestly pretty floored (was pretty happy though) when it did. However, in the back of my head, some small part of didn't want her to appear again (on screen with Ash) because I felt that IF she appeared again it be completely ignored.

In a lot of ways the episode felt like it was trying it's hardest to maneuver around touching on it (it's by far his shortest reunion to date) and I'm not entirely sure that's a good sign for it's future in potential future cameos...different director visions and all, with this one seemingly just going for platonic friendships all around (thereby eventually recontextualizing their subplot from XY). I also seem to be in the minority on how the reunion was handled. I'd personally love to hear how the Japanese fandom looked at it because I know it's very popular. Do they think it's more platonic-ish now, or unchanged? I'd say it feel like it's in a sort of limbo.

That being said, it was good to see Serena take a different role and use the words Ash used for her. Seeing how far she's come from her early XY days as a result of Ash's influence and her own hard work was truly a treat.
Hey, I recognize you. Welcome back!

Anyways, I can understand where you are coming from. From the Japanese perspective, at least based on what I've seen, is that the impression of Ash and Serena's reunion was mostly positive. "Satosh&Serena" was the most trending topic in Twitter in terms of anipoke after JN105 aired. Of course, not everything is positive as there are those who raised some concerns just as you pointed. The reunion was brief and with that, doesn't seem to show hints of romance (e.g. lack of blushing), which some few Japanese fans pointed out. It doesn't help that the background music that was used was called "Friends Forever", which some pointed out as well.

Of course, all these are theories at this time. I'd like to think that the writers are playing it safe for now, which is why they did the reunion brief (delaying Ash and Goh from meeting Chloe, most likely to prevent Ash from seeing Serena earlier, preventing any chances of a long talk and quite possibly, to prevent them from bringing up the "kiss").

It's still too early to tell on what the writers intends for these two and we can only play the waiting game, provided that Serena still has one or two more cameo (which is excruciatingly painful to be waiting and hopeful for, lol)

By everything I've heard, it was received much better in Japan than it was around this thread. People seemed pretty excited
Yup, they had better impression of the episode considering majority of the Japanese fans were not aware of the said leaks. They were in for a surprise at that time. I'd imagine this thread (or any SNS) would have had better impression as well if not for the animedia leak

Last edited:

Hyuuga28

Hey, I recognize you. Welcome back!

Anyways, I can understand where you are coming from. From the Japanese perspective, at least based on what I've seen, is that the impression of Ash and Serena's reunion was mostly positive. "Satosh&Serena" was the most trending topic in Twitter in terms of anipoke after JN105 aired. Of course, not everything is positive as there are those who raised some concerns just as you pointed. The reunion was brief and with that, doesn't seem to show hints of romance, which some few Japanese fans pointed out. It doesn't help that the background music that was used was called "Friends Forever", which some pointed out.
Hey, thanks!

I'm personally not too fussed about the soundtrack or even the lack of the ribbon, as in my view Serena internalizing all his "teachings" to her says she still has him in mind. I think it will be interesting to see how the remaining cameos play out, and if Serena remains the shortest one (which I feel is a given already).

I just personally wanted a little time for it to breathe, but if it did it might run into the problem you mentioned so the writers might be in a tough spot. By the same token, the consequence of this is of course we don't know if this is how all their future interactions will go because new audiences might not necessarily go back and see their previous iterations.

Last edited:

Satoshi no masara

Hey, thanks!

I'm personally not too fussed about the soundtrack or even the lack of the ribbon, as in my view Serena internalizing all his "teachings" to her says she still has him in mind. I think it will be interesting to see how the remaining cameos play out, and if Serena remains the shortest one (which I feel is a given already). I just personally wanted a little time for it to breathe, but if it did it might run into the problem you mentioned so the writers might be in a tough spot. By the same token, the consequence of this is of course we don't know if this is how all their future interactions will be or if she'll even appear again.
You're right. Despite the lack of the obvious evidence, there's still the words that Serena learned from Ash that she kept for herself, the way how she waited for the boat to go far before leaving, and Sylveon getting worried about Serena for a short moment, still shows just how much Ash still means to her.

I can totally relate to what you said, it was still too early for Serena to return at this time. I admit that I'm one of those hopeful she'd return soon but now that she's returned, it had me concerned as the moment between Ash and Serena may be toned down. But then again, I'd like to think of this as the writers not wanting to touch any romantic sub-plot until the right time or the perfect writer comes (whenever that is). After all, Yajima did set the bar high with that kiss and even that had him on the edge. Honestly, I really really only trust Yajima to be the one to handle any possible Serena returns and how she'll interact with Ash (maybe Omode as well).

Anyway, I can only assume that the writers only intended for her to return for a moment to see how she has come so far. Based on JN105, I'd say that she's still working on her growth. While she does appear and sounded mature, she still has some work to do. It's quite evident with the way how she talks. Early in the episode, you can almost not recognize her voice because of how mature she sounded like but when she gets reunited with Ash, her tone of voice suddenly shifted to her old voice back in XY days. Quite evident that she's still working on her maturity.

We can only hope that she'd at least return one last time (and interact with Ash and have something developed, or at least bring up any hopes that these two will be together in the future) before JN ends. Otherwise, I don't know what to hope for in the future and I'm not sure if I can still keep up with the anime, lol. I was ready to drop the anime tbh if it weren't for Serena returning and reuniting with Ash.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
This is my first time posting here in quite a while (I was under "Graham Aker"), and I was quite the advocate for this pair. I didn't comment on it back in 2016 but I did not expect the kiss to happen and was honestly pretty floored (was pretty happy though) when it did. However, in the back of my head, some small part of didn't want her to appear again (on screen with Ash) because I felt that IF she appeared again it be completely ignored.

In a lot of ways the episode felt like it was trying it's hardest to maneuver around touching on it (it's by far his shortest reunion to date) and I'm not entirely sure that's a good sign for it's future in potential later cameos...different director visions and all, with this one seemingly just going for platonic friendships all around. I'd personally love to hear how the Japanese fandom looked at it because I know it's very popular. Do they think it's more platonic-ish now, or unchanged? I'd say it feel like it's in a sort of limbo.

Welcome! Or I should say "welcome back."

I agree that this episode was trying to delicately walk around the kiss at the end of XY. I would assume that it is something that they're not ready to address, and if it is addressed, it won't be until the end of Ash's time on the show. They did manage to communicate a lot in the short time they allotted to the reunion, though.

I don't know if I would agree that they were just going for platonic friendship. But the scene was short, and I think that it is open for interpretation.

I saw something completely different in the reunion scene at the end. While it was short, it was also significantly different than his reunions with Iris and Dawn. When he reunited with Iris, he was champing at the bit to have their PWC battle, something that Iris made fun of him for. His reunion with Dawn seemed awkward at first. He was more focused on Cresselia while Dawn talked about their time traveling Sinnoh, and this was something that Chloe kind of made a snarky comment about.

His reunion with Serena? Completely different than the other two. He wanted to talk to her. He said he was doing the PWC and his goal was to become the strongest battler, which is much more specific than his normal "Pokemon Master" goal. Serena was also excited.
Seeing Serena's character growth was one of the highlights of this episode, especially since she was able to use everything Ash taught her to mentor Chloe.

I'd imagine this thread (or any SNS) would have had better impression as well if not for the animedia leak
I think that this thread had an overall positive impression of Serena's return than the episode review thread.

I think it will be interesting to see how the remaining cameos play out, and if Serena remains the shortest one (which I feel is a given already). I just personally wanted a little time for it to breathe, but if it did it might run into the problem you mentioned so the writers might be in a tough spot. By the same token, the consequence of this is of course we don't know if this is how all their future interactions will be or if she'll even appear again.
I don't think that they're done with Serena. She is the only companion that had significant character growth, and both her regular and contest outfits were redesigned. That's a lot of effort for someone who would only show up once, and I feel like a single appearance would be highly unlikely because of that.

I also feel like Chloe's role in JN057 could come later in the series.

Anyway, I can only assume that the writers only intended for her to return for a moment to see how she has come so far. Based on JN105, I'd say that she's still working on her growth. While she does appear and sounded mature, she still has some work to do. It's quite evident with the way how she talks. Early in the episode, you can almost not recognize her voice because of how mature she sounded like but when she gets reunited with Ash, her tone of voice suddenly shifted to her old voice back in XY days. Quite evident that she's still working on her maturity.
I'm really curious on this comment. Why do you feel that she has to work on her maturity because her voice shifted when she saw Ash? Ash's voice also shifted. Both voices seemed to convey excitement.

Hyuuga28

We can only hope that she'd at least return one last time (and interact with Ash and have something developed, or at least bring up any hopes that these two will be together in the future) before JN ends. Otherwise, I don't know what to hope for in the future and I'm not sure if I can still keep up with the anime, lol. I was ready to drop the anime tbh if it weren't for Serena returning and reuniting with Ash.

Haha, I may be one of the only ones that doesn't necessarily need to see characters get married with kids. I just like different variations of innocent romantic fluff. I don't see Ash ever aging after all.
Welcome! Or I should say "welcome back."

I agree that this episode was trying to delicately walk around the kiss at the end of XY. I would assume that it is something that they're not ready to address, and if it is addressed, it won't be until the end of Ash's time on the show. They did manage to communicate a lot in the short time they allotted to the reunion, though.

I don't know if I would agree that they were just going for platonic friendship. But the scene was short, and I think that it is open for interpretation.

I saw something completely different in the reunion scene at the end. While it was short, it was also significantly different than his reunions with Iris and Dawn. When he reunited with Iris, he was champing at the bit to have their PWC battle, something that Iris made fun of him for. His reunion with Dawn seemed awkward at first. He was more focused on Cresselia while Dawn talked about their time traveling Sinnoh, and this was something that Chloe kind of made a snarky comment about.

His reunion with Serena? Completely different than the other two. He wanted to talk to her. He said he was doing the PWC and his goal was to become the strongest battler, which is much more specific than his normal "Pokemon Master" goal. Serena was also excited.
Much appreciated.

Outside of gags and stuff, the kiss admittedly doesn't really fit the tone of PM. When you think back to XY and how much they promoted the Ash/Serena subplot even outside the anime episodes themselves (the relationship charts, the posters, the magazine scans making passing comments about it in blurb, and shows with people like Shoko touching on it), there's a clear difference. Which is ties back to your point of "open to interpretation", the new director definitely seems more friendship oriented to me. It's not blatant anymore, which can lead to some uncertainty on how it'll be handled from here on out.

If I were to play devil's advocate a bit more she didn't seem too bothered that Ash is currently traveling with another girl, but then again she had to consider that possibility when she left him back in XY and maybe kissed him for a bit of closure rather than "we're an item now".

You have a point with her goodbye compared to Iris' for instance. It was definitely more emotionally charged (for lack of a better term), combined with a music and setting sun. But personally, that scene felt like it had some finality to it or put another way, reduces her chances of coming back over Iris.

Last edited:

Epicocity

Unless she says differently, I'll believe that it is.

Everything here seems fanmade. Novanoah has been known for having drawings close to the anipoke artstyle. If it's not that obvious, just look at the "Ribbon" on her left foot, should be beads on the back.

Don't forget that the artist also made a mockup magazine depicting Ash and Serena as adults with children. Nearly fooled a lot of Japanese fans (which is actually impressive all things considered)
Definitely fanmade. That third outfit, which is functionally "Serena in Gloria's clothes" has been around for at least 2 years and all she did was really alter the hair to be more in line with her new hairstyle in the anime than the typical XY style.

Falconmaroni

At the very least Serena did return again after being absent in SM, and we now know the kiss doesn't prevent her from ever appearing again like people were saying for the last few years. The reason we see so much of Dawn is obviously because of the DP games and remakes, but everyone else seems to be getting a second cameo too like apparently Iris and the SM cast. So we may see Serena again watching one of Ash's matches in person. Bonnie's VA also said she wanted to meet Serena again too, so who knows, maybe Bonnie/Clemont and Serena could all appear together toward the end of the series.

Honestly the only character the writers closed the book on forever is May since they won't recast her, but everyone else can theoretically return at any time.

Hyuuga28

At the very least Serena did return again after being absent in SM, and we now know the kiss doesn't prevent her from ever appearing again like people were saying for the last few years. The reason we see so much of Dawn is obviously because of the DP games and remakes, but everyone else seems to be getting a second cameo too like apparently Iris and the SM cast. So we may see Serena again watching one of Ash's matches in person. Bonnie's VA also said she wanted to meet Serena again too, so who knows, maybe Bonnie/Clemont and Serena could all appear together toward the end of the series.

Honestly the only character the writers closed the book on forever is May since they won't recast her, but i everyone else can theoretically return at any time.
If the romantic "baggage" (the mention of the kiss, their childhood encounter, the more charming lady thing , among other things mentioned to Goh/Koharu) was partly the reason they wanted to avoid having them talking to each other for an extended time, it be interesting to see how they try to manuver around it across an entire episode when they aren't seperated. It's probably easier to do than I think.

Honestly the only character the writers closed the book on forever is May since they won't recast her, but everyone else can theoretically return at any time.
Max is literally the only companion who hasn’t appeared in JN yet