• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It’s sad that Ash and Pikachu are reduced to toy advertisements and are no longer actual characters.
The show has always been a giant advertisement.

Hasbro wishes they could have had Pokemon’s success…

The new « leaked » episode confirms that
The leak hasn't been confirmed yet. PAD has worked itself up into a tizzy twice over this leaker only to kind of relax when the source of the leaks was discovered to be 5chan. It may be true...or it may not be. We just need to wait for Animage and other official information.

meaning that the retcon of Ash-Greninja might be serious after all
AG hasn't been retconned. Yes - they didn't show the form in the one flashback when they should have, and I don't know if they will ever address that. But that isn't enough to call it a retcon when the episode's dialog specifically mentions bond phenomenon and how it felt like Ash became Greninja and Greninja became Ash.

Tomiyasu hates XY
This is probably the dumbest take on this forum, bar none. JN has done more with XY and Kalos than any other series or region after Kanto. It had the first actual on-screen character returns. Ash has had more meaningful visits there than any other region. We've seen two of their Elite4 members, including the first one that Ash defeated. And Serena and Greninja both had amazing return episodes.

So can we please put this to rest?

Maybe it’s time to accept that the anime has fully transitioned itself to be a kid-oriented show. And it won’t go back to the way it was before.
It always has been a kids-oriented show. XY was the exception.

Amour has been shot down,
Citation needed...

Speed22

The show has always been a giant advertisement.

Hasbro wishes they could have had Pokemon’s success…

The leak hasn't been confirmed yet. PAD has worked itself up into a tizzy twice over this leaker only to kind of relax when the source of the leaks was discovered to be 5chan. It may be true...or it may not be. We just need to wait for Animage and other official information.

AG hasn't been retconned. Yes - they didn't show the form in the one flashback when they should have, and I don't know if they will ever address that. But that isn't enough to call it a retcon when the episode's dialog specifically mentions bond phenomenon and how it felt like Ash became Greninja and Greninja became Ash.

This is probably the dumbest take on this forum, bar none. JN has done more with XY and Kalos than any other series or region after Kanto. It had the first actual on-screen character returns. Ash has had more meaningful visits there than any other region. We've seen two of their Elite4 members, including the first one that Ash defeated. And Serena and Greninja both had amazing return episodes.

So can we please put this to rest?

It always has been a kids-oriented show. XY was the exception.

Citation needed...
We're in full salt mode right now. Leave it for 24 hours then we'll wonder what the hell we were talking about.

AARTX

Dead inside…
I guess the one tiny silver of hope is that they seem to finally acknowledge Bayleef’s affection for Ash in JN114 when in JN68 Bayleef was just there.

Maybe if Serena returns we might get Amour crumbs (crumbs not hints kek)

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Real men quit after Misty left.

Delia's not even going to be there, you tell me how anything good will come out of it. Amour has been shot down, and they tricked us into believing it wasn't. And I say this as someone who loved 105 for the development of Serena, and didn't dismiss it for not having as much Amour as some would have wanted. The PWC might be the thing that kills off any goodwill that this series might still have left over after BW and XY, and to an extent I hope it is. So come on writers, piss everyone off so that we can reject this accursed series for good!

And feel free to please the Anti-XY circlejerk that is /padt/ while you're at it too.
Get rid of the blue ribbon
Have Ash and Serena meet at the last minute to not address anything romantic
Retcon Ash-Greninja
Have Alain lose against Leon at the 1st matchup ✔(?)

y'know, I'm starting to believe that Tomiyasu does hate XY, lol and that he doesn't want to acknowledge its existence. Headcanon is that the Kalos cast returning are just to appease the XY fans only to shoot them down and rub it in their faces with all these retcons, lol.

Well, the thread got all too negatively so quickly after some days of hiatus, lol. I'm REALLY hoping all these are just getting on our head but still, I'm still going to be cautious. I'm hoping that this supposed "leak" is nothing but a troll just to get all of us riled up. Hey, at least we got something to discuss again so it's something. :p

Motor Bug2005

Dawn got all those special treatments because of the DP remakes and Legend Arceus, now that all this Sinnoh hype is over (thank god lol) I don’t see them bringing Dawn back again after JN, it will also depend if Tomiyasu stays as a director or not after JN is over, but I don’t see them making any ships canon out of nowhere without any build up even if Tomiyasu loves to retcon XY stuffs he’ll go into very dangerous territory if he retcons the kiss.
IIRC, Tomiyasu isn't just any director, he's the executive director a.k.a the head honcho of the whole anime; the same position that Kunihiko Yuyama held from the very beginning of the anime up until the end of S&M. AFAIK, it's not a position that changes every series like the director position that Tetsuo Yajima held during X&Y so I think it's a given that Tomiyasu will be the executive director for the next series and beyond.

Unfortunately for us, it also means that he now has the power to retcon certain aspects of the show such as Ash-Greninja which I am sorry to say that I am now officially recognising as being retconned (despite it's existence being acknowledged by crew members including writer Atsuhiro Tomioka and animator Masaaki Iwane) and if that isn't safe, who's to say that other past events are like dare I say, a certain kiss? I very much hope I'm wrong here and I very much look forward to being proven so.

Heekful

IIRC, Tomiyasu isn't just any director, he's the executive director a.k.a the head honcho of the whole anime; the same position that Kunihiko Yuyama held from the very beginning of the anime up until the end of S&M. AFAIK, it's not a position that changes every series like the director position that Tetsuo Yajima held during X&Y so I think it's a given that Tomiyasu will be the executive director for the next series and beyond.

Unfortunately for us, it also means that he now has the power to retcon certain aspects of the show such as Ash-Greninja which I am sorry to say that I am now officially recognising as being retconned (despite it's existence being acknowledged by crew members including writer Atsuhiro Tomioka and animator Masaaki Iwane) and if that isn't safe, who's to say that other past events are like dare I say, a certain kiss? I very much hope I'm wrong here and I very much look forward to being proven so.

It’s over guys the next XY popular thing on Tomiyasu’s death note is probably the kiss, we should close the thread before it’s too late !

Satoshi no masara

Makes me wonder if some staffs are also not happy with the possibilities of retcons. Even the independent animator, Yusuke Oshida made a fanart of Ash and Serena together with the blue ribbon in the background, which tells me that they are still aware of its importance, and he made that on his own (remember the Dawn and Ash hi-five? It was a fan request, same with the one with May holding the half terracotta ribbon)

Heekful

Makes me wonder if some staffs are also not happy with the possibilities of retcons. Even the independent artist, Yusuke Oshida made a fanart of Ash and Serena together with the blue ribbon in the background, which tells me that they are still aware of its importance. And he made that on his own (remember the Dawn and Ash hi-five? It was a fan request, same with the one with May holding the half terracotta ribbon)

I mean it’s the same situation as the Kalos league final back in 2016 where you had animators and staff members posting tweets about how disappointed they were that Ash lost but they can do nothing about it, if the director decides something they’ll have to do it whether they like it or not.

So if Tomiyasu says « we retcon the kiss » Yajima or Omode would probably be disappointed (especially Yajima since its his work) but won’t say anything because he is their boss, it works the same for every company.

AARTX

Dead inside…
I mean it’s the same situation as the Kalos league final back in 2016 where you had animators and staff members posting tweets about how disappointed they were that Ash lost but they can do nothing about it, if the director decides something they’ll have to do it whether they like it or not.

So if Tomiyasu says « we retcon the kiss » Yajima or Omode would probably be disappointed (especially Yajima since its his work) but won’t say anything because he is their boss, it works the same for every company.
Kek so much for "hope and assume they will be a couple later" eh Yajima?

Satoshi no masara

The very small tinder of hope that I have is for Yajima to make all of these retconned moments be canon in his movies, especially Amourshipping. He has more control over the movies anyway. If he makes Amourshipping a thing in the movies then F the anime, don't care if it's the mainline story, Yajimaverse forever!

Heekful

Kek so much for "hope and assume they will be a couple later" eh Yajima?

I will never blame Yajima because he is the reason why we all loved XY but this one line is the whole reason why some Amourshippers online are so toxic about the pairing and why they always have huge expectations everytime, it basically made shipping wars bigger than before and this is still talked about even today.

6 years later we can clearly see that it was bait so I don’t see the reason why he said this, such a bad move on his part.

Motor Bug2005

I will never blame Yajima because he is the reason why we all loved XY but this one line is the whole reason why some Amourshippers online are so toxic about the pairing and why they always have huge expectations everytime, it basically made shipping wars bigger than before and this is still talked about even today.

6 years later we can clearly see that it was bait so I don’t see the reason why he said this, such a bad move on his part.
I think that what we need to keep in mind is that this interview was conducted while the show was still under Yuyama's leadership. With Tomiyasu now at the helm, I'm not entirely sure that anything stated in this interview that relates to Amourshipping can still hold any weight today.

AARTX

Dead inside…
I think that what we need to keep in mind is that this interview was conducted while the show was still under Yuyama's leadership. With Tomiyasu now at the helm, I'm not entirely sure that anything stated in this interview that relates to Amourshipping can still hold any weight today.
It would still sting though. He wanted the audience to assume/believe that they would hit it off eventually. He could’ve said "no comment" or passed his answer off as a joke so it wouldn’t be taken seriously but he didn’t and so here we are.

Satoshi no masara

It would still sting though. He wanted the audience to assume/believe that they would hit it off eventually. He could’ve said "no comment" or passed his answer off as a joke so it wouldn’t be taken seriously but he didn’t and so here we are.
Who knows, maybe he said that as a way of saying that Amourshipping is the endgame, whenever the anime will end that is. Of course with the current director, it's very unlikely it will end soon and that romance is out of the question but maybe, just maybe, if they are ready to actually move on from Ash's journey then they can just set him up for an ending where he marries Serena in the unforeseeable future.

Motor Bug2005

It would still sting though. He wanted the audience to assume/believe that they would hit it off eventually. He would’ve said "no comment" or passed his answer off as a joke so it wouldn’t be taken seriously but he didn’t and so here we are.
I presume he said that with the permission of the unnamed producer who was with him when the interview was conducted (this is only a personal guess but I think that if it wasn't permitted, the producer would've asked the magazine to keep it out of the published interview) but I don't think anybody back then (including those working on the anime) had any idea that there was going to be a change at the very top after S&M.
Who knows, maybe he said that as a way of saying that Amourshipping is the endgame, whenever the anime will end that is. Of course with the current director, it's very unlikely it will end soon and that romance is out of the question but maybe, just maybe, if they are ready to actually move on from Ash's journey then they can just set him up for an ending where he marries Serena in the unforeseeable future.
Entirely possible IMO but if something like Ash-Greninja can be retconned, then absolutely nothing is sacrosanct.

Speed22

I presume he said that with the permission of the unnamed producer who was with him when the interview was conducted (this is only a personal guess but I think that if it wasn't permitted, the producer would've asked the magazine to keep it out of the published interview) but I don't think anybody back then (including those working on the anime) had any idea that there was going to be a change at the very top after S&M.

Entirely possible IMO but if something like Ash-Greninja can be retconned, then absolutely nothing is sacrosanct.
I can't believe that a man who decided to not even hide his own bias for the series he directed to the point where he allowed the head writer to write both the recent Alola episodes, and blow the animation budget on Lillie's episode which completed a plot point that should have been concluded last series, which ended 3 years ago somehow became the Executive Director!

The level of bias he showed for his own series and the hatred of the series before his, would have gotten him fired anywhere else! It's over! XY sucks and deserves to be retconned into oblivion! Especially the Amour kiss, which will be replaced with a fist bump! Or just waving!

I'm in full salt mode right now. In about a year or less we might be laughing at this. Or we will be still arguing.

AARTX

Dead inside…
This really was a weird decision coming from the higher ups, especially now that Ash vs Alain isn’t happening. A show that’s designed to market merch/toys doesn’t want to market one of the most popular pokemon in the franchise/anime? Really now?

Greninja returning for the m8 seems very unlikely now. But if they don’t rectify those omissions (like, at the very least put out another flashback where Ash-Greninja is present) then they’re just asking for a storm.

Satoshi no masara

Even Iwane-san, still to this day acknowledges Ash-Greninja. Today (or yesterday depending on your timezone) is Greninja day in Japan. Iwane made an illustration that is specifically Ash-Greninja as a tribute. Note that it IS "Greninja day" and not "Ash-Greninja" day specifically so it really gives us an idea that their staff acknowledges its existence. Definitely weird that it was retconned even for just a mere flashback.

Really a shame that they would do this to one of the fan-favorite Pokémon and now we're being robbed of a potential redemption match. Dear Arceus, please spare Amourshipping. We're at the mercy of Tomiyasu.

Wait. They actually retconned Ash Greninja? God damn the writers are stupid.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Wait. They actually retconned Ash Greninja? God damn the writers are stupid.
No. They didn’t retcon Ash-Greninja.

Everyone needs a little tequila to go with all this salt being passed around…