• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
4kids doesn’t have control over the anime. If pokeshipping (or any ship) goes canon, then that’s because of the decisions made the writers and staff in Japan, not some foreign 3rd party dubbing company (that doesn’t even exist anymore btw)
what I meant is that the Japanese writers should thank 4kids for hyping pokeshipping into oblivion

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I agree with this with how things ended up with JN105 Serena's feelings for Ash can be now left up to interpretation
Based on what, exactly?

what I meant is that the Japanese writers should thank 4kids for hyping pokeshipping into oblivion
Amourshipping is way more popular in the west than Pokeshipping

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Based on what, exactly?
She didn't blush nor she had the ribbon and the scene of serena finally stopped gazing at the ship and went on her journey had huge moving on vibes for me.

Last edited:

Manqoba

Shipping List Manager
She didn't blush nor she had the ribbon and the scene of serena finally stopped gazing at the ship and went on her journey had huge moving on vibes for me.
"moving on" doesn't usually involve quoting someone's words of advice to random people you meet on the street, to be fair

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Kids these days don't know how to recognize subtext...

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Honestly? Ash, despite his flaws, was one of my childhood heroes, I was 10 myself when the anime came over to the west.
Whoever he gets with or even if he doesn't get with anyone I want to be happy for him. I don't want to be one of those "ruined forever" people.

I am like I've stated before just jaded from years of shipping wars and character bashing in fan-fics. Its just with Ash (finally) being retired as the MC of the anime I think the shipping bug has bitten me again I'm curious if they'll resolve any of the ships and again if they do I want to be supportive.

Though TBH? I think OS Kanto Ash who was a bratty half pint back then would have sunk Serena's crush if they had met during that time.

Noting this because again I’ve read fan-fics that have Serena join Ash in Kanto but make Ash into his XY self from the start without any of the character development to justify it.

OS Kanto Ash is a bratty kid, but there are many times where he put himself at risk to save Pokémon, regardless if there are his or not. And let's not forget that Ash and Gary used to best friends until they reach 10. Then Gary started being a bully and jerkass. It was even a surprise that they used to be friends. But after the Silver Conference, they did become friends again and the two act like their fierce rivalry didn't happen to begin with it.

If I have to guess, Serena would be taken aback by Ash's more bratty moments but will always be reminded time and time again that Ash deep down does care a lot about his friends and Pokémon. And it is that kindness that made Ash so endearing to Serena. I would also note that by the virtue of starting her Pokémon journey much later than Ash, it is possible that she would also be bratty and sassy in her own way. After all, what was Serena doing prior to starting her Pokémon journey and finding Ash again? Arguing with mom over Rhyhorn Racing.

I said it before, and I'll say it again with more context since apparently some people don't get it the first time. Blushing is a great indication for romance on the surface, since our characters are inexperienced with love at first sight and thus embarass themselves because they don't know how to deal with this newfound feeling. In short, blushing is a betrayal of your emotions to the public since it's involuntary. But it's not the only indication and quite frankly, blushing is a childish view of romance. More often than not, it's associated with embarrassment or shyness than genuine romance.

A serious romance would be like a sunset in the background, the two lovebirds talking to each other alone, their smiles and glittering eyes face to face, and with some soothing music playing. No one is to interrupt their moment, not even for a laugh. If there is an interruption like a boat leaving, the mood is not interrupted. It is fact enhanced by it. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet's romantic stroll in the sunset of a beach is a good example how genuine romance is done. And it has more in common with Ash and Serena's brief reunion in Journeys than anything in XY with the exceptions of the kiss and blue ribbon gift (which happens to be Amour played seriously than for laughs).

Seriously, blushing gets you nowhere in the anime. A lot of characters blush towards other characters all the time, yet they never went anywhere. Brock can attest to that. The irony is that a ship is more likely to be made canon when it's played seriously rather than played with gags and anime cliches. Serena still holding affection for Ash despite not having her blue ribbon on her dress as well as standing on the docks until the ship is completely out of her view only highlights how strong and deep her love for Ash is. It will never go away, even after all these years.

And with Ash becoming World Champion as he promised to Serena on that fateful day, she would know she made the right choice with him.

Last edited:

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
OS Kanto Ash is a bratty kid, but there are many times where he put himself at risk to save Pokémon, regardless if there are his or not. And let's not forget that Ash and Gary used to best friends until they reach 10. Then Gary started being a bully and jerkass. It was even a surprise that they used to be friends. But after the Silver Conference, they did become friends again and the two act like their fierce rivalry didn't happen to begin with it.

If I have to guess, Serena would be taken aback by Ash's more bratty moments but will always be reminded time and time again that Ash deep down does care a lot about his friends and Pokémon. And it is that kindness that made Ash so endearing to Serena. I would also note that by the virtue of starting her Pokémon journey much later than Ash, it is possible that she would also be bratty and sassy in her own way. After all, what was Serena doing prior to starting her Pokémon journey and finding Ash again? Arguing with mom over Rhyhorn Racing.

I said it before, and I'll say it again with more context since apparently some people don't get it the first time. Blushing is a great indication for romance on the surface, since our characters are inexperienced with love at first sight and thus embarass themselves because they don't know how to deal with this newfound feeling. In short, blushing is a betrayal of your emotions to the public since it's involuntary. But it's not the only indication and quite frankly, blushing is a childish view of romance. More often than not, it's associated with embarrassment or shyness than genuine romance.

A serious romance would be like a sunset in the background, the two lovebirds talking to each other alone, their smiles and glittering eyes face to face, and with some soothing music playing. No one is to interrupt their moment, not even for a laugh. If there is an interruption like a boat leaving, the mood is not interrupted. It is fact enhanced by it. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet's romantic stroll in the sunset of a beach is a good example how genuine romance is done. And it has more in common with Ash and Serena's brief reunion in Journeys than anything in XY with the exceptions of the kiss and blue ribbon gift (which happens to be Amour played seriously than for laughs).

Seriously, blushing gets you nowhere in the anime. A lot of characters blush towards other characters all the time, yet they never went anywhere. Brock can attest to that. The irony is that a ship is more likely to be made canon when it's played seriously rather than played with gags and anime cliches. Serena still holding affection for Ash despite not having her blue ribbon on her dress as well as standing on the docks until the ship is completely out of her view only highlights how strong and deep her love for Ash is. It will never go away, even after all these years.

And with Ash becoming World Champion as he promised to Serena on that fateful day, she would know she made the right choice with him.
It's just the way she stopped looking at the boat and went on it kinda implies that serena has moved on from ash to me at least.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
It's just the way she stopped looking at the boat and went on it kinda implies that serena has moved on from ash to me at least.
Then you're terrible at reading into contexts and settings.

Also, what was she supposed to after the boat left? Camp at the dock permanently? She made a declaration to Ash about her goal, and she most certainly won't upset him by not pursuing her dreams.

Heekful

Then you're terrible at reading into contexts and settings.

Also, what was she supposed to after the boat left? Camp at the dock permanently? She made a declaration to Ash about her goal, and she most certainly won't upset him by not pursuing her dreams.

Perhaps he expected her to swim into the sea to catch the boat then steal Ash to run away ? Seriously these guys are so funny , even in the XY(&Z) series she would have done the exact same thing she did in JN105.

When she met Ash for the first time in XY during their first talk at night (they were talking about goals and stuffs) she didn't blush at all too.

(I'm talking about this scene which look a bit like the one in JN105)

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Perhaps he expected her to swim into the sea to catch the boat then steal Ash to run away ? Seriously these guys are so funny , even in the XY(&Z) series she would have done the exact same thing she did in JN105.

When she met Ash for the first time in XY during their first talk at night (they were talking about goals and stuffs) she didn't blush at all too.

(I'm talking about this scene which look a bit like the one in JN105)
There's plenty of scenes between them, 1 on 1, that are treated in a serious romantic fashion which don't involve blushing at all. This, the one after Serena hurts her hand, Ash challenging her to a battle, the ribbon one (might be wrong about this one), where she nurses his injured leg etc.

And besides, for Serena to blush, she needs to be put into a scenario where she's embarassed and loses control over her emotions involuntarily. Nothing in JN105 (outside of one instance when Chloe brings up her reputation pertaining to the Sylveon news) or any of the above examples, really does that.

Morax

King of heroes
There's plenty of scenes between them, 1 on 1, that are treated in a serious romantic fashion which don't involve blushing at all. This, the one after Serena hurts her hand, Ash challenging her to a battle, the ribbon one (might be wrong about this one), where she nurses his injured leg etc.
Wouldn’t really call those romantic. I mean they are pretty weak moments, to imply any sort of mutual affection. Sure characters don’t always need to blush around each other but blushing is merely a device, a flag, used to indicate that he/she is into someone. So if they’re not blushing how do you make the scene romantic? Have them talk about something personal, something they don’t usually share with others. I don’t care if i sound like a contrarian but Ash and Serena declaring their goals to each other isn’t romantic enough.

Shadao

Wouldn’t really call those romantic. I mean they are pretty weak moments, to imply any sort of mutual affection. Sure characters don’t always need to blush around each other but blushing is merely a device, a flag, used to indicate that he/she is into someone. So if they’re not blushing how do you make the scene romantic? Have them talk about something personal, something they don’t usually share with others. I don’t care if i sound like a contrarian but Ash and Serena declaring their goals to each other isn’t romantic enough.

And declaring their goals, unprompted by their companions, to each other is personal to them. It's their careers after all. Plus the sunset, sweet music and limited time they had due to parting really emphasize on romantic. Even people who wouldn't know about the crush Serena has for Ash would pick up there's something different about Ash and Serena's relationship compared to his other companions. I mean, look at Misty's return in the upcoming episode. Misty is confident and cocky in her introduction. She comes to Ash not as a friend or a love interest, but as his friendly rival. And Ash's reaction is more of what you expect from someone who realizes their thunder has been stolen.

I simply ask this. Are you not satisfied? This show has given us the kiss. It has given us a canonical love interest that actually gets developed and not just a shot-character. It has given us a special reunion unique among all reunions.

Sometimes, I wonder if that satisfaction would ever fulfilled even if the Pokémon series did what you ask for.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I simply ask this. Are you not satisfied? This show has given us the kiss. It has given us a canonical love interest that actually gets developed and not just a shot-character. It has given us a special reunion unique among all reunions.

Sometimes, I wonder if that satisfaction would ever fulfilled even if the Pokémon series did what you ask for.
In my case, I just want a blatant and obvious hint from ash's side like how he got jealous of rudy and how he blushed with misty when team rocket teased them back then. As much as I want an amour endgame the writers made it look like it's one-sided.

Shadao

In my case, I just want a blatant and obvious hint from ash's side like how he got jealous of rudy and how he blushed with misty when team rocket teased them back then. As much as I want an amour endgame the writers made it look like it's one-sided.
Was Ash really jealous of Rudy's affections to Misty, or was he just frustrated that Rudy was not giving his attention to him on the battlefield? He remained oblivious to Rudy's words about being lucky to have Misty. And the whole blushing after the whole Team Rocket teasing is again an example of embarassament showing. Imagine hanging out with your friend and then all of a sudden, a bunch of people start insisting that you two are an item. You would be embarrassed and then immediately deny it. It's also an example of why blushing doesn't actually lead to romantic endgame. It shows they are capable of forming a romance, but it won't actually assure it.

Ash reciprocating Serena's feelings have to make sense to Ash's character. What we know of Ash's character is that he loves everyone and thus doesn't understand why romantic love would be more special. All he knows of romantic love is that it's that everyone is more happy. Thus, for Ash to reciporacate Serena's feelings is for him to be unusually happier with her than with any other companion. He wouldn't know it consciously, but his subconscious would as seen with the twinkles in his eyes.

The love epiphany he would have is something for him to realize when he's grown up... or maybe when he reencounters Serena again since this is the last series featuring Ash.

Was Ash really jealous of Rudy's affections to Misty, or was he just frustrated that Rudy was not giving his attention to him on the battlefield? He remained oblivious to Rudy's words about being lucky to have Misty. And the whole blushing after the whole Team Rocket teasing is again an example of embarassament showing. Imagine hanging out with your friend and then all of a sudden, a bunch of people start insisting that you two are an item. You would be embarrassed and then immediately deny it. It's also an example of why blushing doesn't actually lead to romantic endgame. It shows they are capable of forming a romance, but it won't actually assure it.

Ash reciprocating Serena's feelings have to make sense to Ash's character. What we know of Ash's character is that he loves everyone and thus doesn't understand why romantic love would be more special. All he knows of romantic love is that it's that everyone is more happy. Thus, for Ash to reciporacate Serena's feelings is for him to be unusually happier with her than with any other companion. He wouldn't know it consciously, but his subconscious would as seen with the twinkles in his eyes.

The love epiphany he would have is something for him to realize when he's grown up... or maybe when he reencounters Serena again since this is the last series featuring Ash.
It needs to happen now or never.
I’m nervous.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Was Ash really jealous of Rudy's affections to Misty, or was he just frustrated that Rudy was not giving his attention to him on the battlefield?
Frustrated, I'd say

But not going to lie, with the small pushes from 4Kids localization + some anime magazines from here pushing it, I thought it was the other way around back in the day.

WaterTypeStarter

With the exception of Iris (and I think Mallow, though can't remember if there was any) I think Ash has been ship teased in at least some way with all his female traveling companions (if not an outright crush, then some other characters say thinking him and his female companion a couple). With the above discussion, whether or not Misty was crushing on Ash, it can't be denied from the way things were set up that there was some subtle tease.

With the exception of Iris (and I think Mallow, though can't remember if there was any) I think Ash has been ship teased in at least some way with all his female traveling companions (if not an outright crush, then some other characters say thinking him and his female companion a couple). With the above discussion, whether or not Misty was crushing on Ash, it can't be denied from the way things were set up that there was some subtle tease.
I think he was teased with Mallow in SM’s first episode.
And Chloe? Was he ship teased with her?