• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
A character can’t change their trope lmao. That’s how the world of anime works.

Huh? The narrative doesn’t have to keep fulfilling a trope. XY could have had Ash blush and start to show signs of liking Serena back.

Heekful

Ngl the Pokeshippers on here are making me hate Misty

How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine ? I'm sure a lot of people here are annoyed when you bring up Amour everytime on others threads (me as well, and I am an actual Amourshipper).

Now about them, let them enjoy Misty's return, in a few months everything will be over and even if there's no shipping that end up winning, we got a kiss. All they'll have is their headcanon while us, we got an actual kissing scene.

I found this post on r/pokemonanime that is under the title “I don’t understand why Serena kissed Ash”
With 64 upvotes, this is this user’s explanation that will be bound to make the anti Amour squad happy:
“I actually think it was meant to close out Serena’s arc and doesn’t really lend itself to Ash x Serena shipping as much as people think it does.

Throughout XY Serena not only had issues telling Ash how she felt, but she had issues being honest with herself and people around her in the first place. Serena kissing Ash was her taking control of a situation. She did something she wanted to do without second guessing and over explaining it and just did it. And she was able to do it because Ash gave her confidence throughout their journey.

I don’t necessarily see it as romantic, Ash’s only love is Pokémon, no matter how bad people want it to be romantic it wasn’t. Because the writers would never put Ash in a fully romantic situation. Which is why I think all theories on how the anime ending with Serena x Ash being endgame are silly, Ash is never going to be shown with a girlfriend or anything of the sort. You can fantasise and theorise but it’ll never come to fruition.

But anyway, I got off track. Serena’s kiss wasn’t meant to be “hey I’m in love with you” it was closing out her arc, her saying thank you for an incredible journey and experiences and for his friendship.

This is further proof in her Journeys return - they only met briefly but their interaction was clean and fresh. She was simply happy to tell him what she was up to - no stuttering, no jealousy, just happy to tell him she’s still working to achieve her goal.

Her talk with Chloe and hearing her development was also confirmation that her journey with Ash was about her own self confidence. The reason the crush/kiss is never referred to is because it doesn’t need to be. If you watch it without shipper goggles you can see what it was for.

This isn’t meant to rattle anyone. I know this sub has a lot of hardcore shippers, but Ash is not that type of character and Pokémon isn’t that type of show, so I don’t buy into it, nor support the theories. Take this how you will, but this is how I see it.”
This user claims that Serena kissing Ash was her “letting go” of her crush. Does it make sense? No, not from a shipping context. But Serena kissing Ash as a way “to kiss her childish love goodbye” kind of makes sense, which further explains her lack of blushing and interest in Ash in JN105.

I will never understand this obsession of sharing these type of post... Why are you always so sensitive about opinions of random people ?

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Serena’s kiss wasn’t meant to be “hey I’m in love with you” it was closing out her arc, her saying thank you for an incredible journey and experiences and for his friendship.
Idk to that guy but if kissing a person you like in the lips wasn't romantic then what is?

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine ? I'm sure a lot of people here are annoyed when you bring up Amour everytime on others threads (me as well, and I am an actual Amourshipper).
Agree to that If it weren't for JN105 I would've hated amour because of the fans. I remember back then the pokemon anime subreddit had an abundance of toxic amourshippers and XY fans it really tainted my view on the series back then but thankfully JN105 happened
This user claims that Serena kissing Ash was her “letting go”
The particular user didn't say that.
He or She just said that kiss was a thank you platonic kiss which doesn't make any sense at all.

michael147

With best wishes
Throughout XY Serena not only had issues telling Ash how she felt, but she had issues being honest with herself and people around her in the first place.
That's what I said - Serena's crush created those issues. If Serena was straightforward with Satoshi and less stuttered around him, you would be happier right now. Satoshi himself said, "I don't know about all that complicated stuff".
Serena kissing Ash was her taking control of a situation. She did something she wanted to do without second guessing and over explaining it and just did it.
What a good example how Serena should have behaved around Satoshi. This was indeed a good moment, but she lost too much time - that is why I think it was the last hope kiss. The lack of blushes in JN 105 didn't tell me, a SatoHika, anything. Just let Serena grow over her crush and give her a chance to open herself to love Satoshi.

What that user said was that Serena kissing Ash was in a platonic sense and was her letting go of her feelings for him completely. The user further says that The kiss was her saying “thank you for inspiring me” which is in line with her quoting him in JN105, and it wasn’t in a romantic way at all. Serena realized that having a crush is silly and she doesn’t love him anymore, so she became a more independent person solely focused on her goal, thus her love for Ash became platonic instead of romantic.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Just let Serena grow over her crush and give her a chance to open herself to love Satoshi.
Wdym grow over her crush and open herself to love ash? That seems contradictory.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I guess their insecurities comes from

- the immense hate amour gets on a lot of platforms,
- wether or not Serena has moved on from her feelings in JN105.
- the anime's habit of sticking to the games' status quo since red or any male MC's does not have any canonical love interests in the games.
- lack of faith in the writers ability.

As for me I just want Ash to blatantly recognize serena's feelings wether he likes her back or not because imo ash's dense moments can sometimes feel like him being insensitive.
Ash’s eyes twinkle after Serena kisses him. Then he smiles and says his goodbyes. If Ash is truly dense, he would have reacted like he did with Latias, confused by the kiss and left ponder.

It’s subtle but it gets the point across. Ash may not fully understand this feeling, but he knows it just makes him happier.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I mean, he could have developed in XY. The narrative could have pulled a Ash x Misty in Orange Islands or especially a May x Drew in AG subplot. Instead, it was only ever directly one-sided. There were romantic overtones to certain moments, but they were driven by Serena’s crush. They also chose to avoid Ash and Serena ever talking post-confession. The narrative could have added another layer to Ash’s character, but they kept him oblivious and Serena didn’t confess until her very last scene. Big missed opportunity.

Instead, we’re left with the shonen trope that Serena will be the one for Ash…simply because she’s the only one who is confirmed to like him.
Yes, but you expect too much from a show that refuses to let its protagonist gain any significant maturity. Unfortunately, it's too late for him to get that sort of development now; he's leaving in 10 episodes, and there's simply no time left.
Ngl the Pokeshippers on here are making me hate Misty
Don't let a bunch of copelords influence how you feel about a character.
I found this post on r/pokemonanime that is under the title “I don’t understand why Serena kissed Ash”
With 64 upvotes, this is this user’s explanation that will be bound to make the anti Amour squad happy:
“I actually think it was meant to close out Serena’s arc and doesn’t really lend itself to Ash x Serena shipping as much as people think it does.

Throughout XY Serena not only had issues telling Ash how she felt, but she had issues being honest with herself and people around her in the first place. Serena kissing Ash was her taking control of a situation. She did something she wanted to do without second guessing and over explaining it and just did it. And she was able to do it because Ash gave her confidence throughout their journey.

I don’t necessarily see it as romantic, Ash’s only love is Pokémon, no matter how bad people want it to be romantic it wasn’t. Because the writers would never put Ash in a fully romantic situation. Which is why I think all theories on how the anime ending with Serena x Ash being endgame are silly, Ash is never going to be shown with a girlfriend or anything of the sort. You can fantasise and theorise but it’ll never come to fruition.

But anyway, I got off track. Serena’s kiss wasn’t meant to be “hey I’m in love with you” it was closing out her arc, her saying thank you for an incredible journey and experiences and for his friendship.

This is further proof in her Journeys return - they only met briefly but their interaction was clean and fresh. She was simply happy to tell him what she was up to - no stuttering, no jealousy, just happy to tell him she’s still working to achieve her goal.

Her talk with Chloe and hearing her development was also confirmation that her journey with Ash was about her own self confidence. The reason the crush/kiss is never referred to is because it doesn’t need to be. If you watch it without shipper goggles you can see what it was for.

This isn’t meant to rattle anyone. I know this sub has a lot of hardcore shippers, but Ash is not that type of character and Pokémon isn’t that type of show, so I don’t buy into it, nor support the theories. Take this how you will, but this is how I see it.”
This user claims that Serena kissing Ash was her “letting go” of her crush. Does it make sense? No, not from a shipping context. But Serena kissing Ash as a way “to kiss her childish love goodbye” kind of makes sense, which further explains her lack of blushing and interest in Ash in JN105.
The epitome of 'kissing people on the lips is just how the French greet each other!'
Serena never had the bravery to say this

Wouldn't have pegged you for an Amourshipper.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Is she even working on anything Pokemon related rn? She’s been absent ever since SM ended. Maybe something big has to happen to get her attention like Serena marrying Ash or something XD.
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason she isn't appearing much anymore is... She's aged and apparently, otaku only simp for young girls.

Hope she gets to do other fun projects. She is a good singer and seems to be quite nice.
Then may I introduce to you Confidentshipping!!!
pokemon_masters___red_and_serena_by_64smashmaster3ds_dedxn9r-pre.png

(Art by: 64smashmaster3ds)
The hands are so weird. Almost like they are blending or someone glued them or something.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Cricket...please, shut up...
I'll say it once again as a Charizard fan I know what it feels like having your favorite popular thing get hated to pieces and wanting to defend it but that cricket guy takes it to another level

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
What the **** hap…oh…cricket is having another moment.

I think someone needs to lose their internet access for a week…

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Then may I introduce to you Confidentshipping!!!
pokemon_masters___red_and_serena_by_64smashmaster3ds_dedxn9r-pre.png

(Art by: 64smashmaster3ds)

I swear, there's a ship for everything.

Why is this supposed to be, "Confident"?

How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine ? I'm sure a lot of people here are annoyed when you bring up Amour everytime on others threads (me as well, and I am an actual Amourshipper). Now about them, let them enjoy Misty's return, in a few months everything will be over and even if there's no shipping that end up winning, we got a kiss. All they'll have is their headcanon while us, we got an actual kissing scene. I will never understand this obsession of sharing these type of post... Why are you always so sensitive about opinions of random people ?

Can’t wait for the day when this ages like milk (might never come, or Ash might actually marry Misty!)

I don't understand this 'us vs them' pseudo-tribalism. People can like multiple pairings.

Agree to that If it weren't for JN105 I would've hated amour because of the fans. I remember back then the pokemon anime subreddit had an abundance of toxic amourshippers and XY fans it really tainted my view on the series back then but thankfully JN105 happened

I've said this before, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that XY(Z) reinvigorated and saved the anime after BW turned off so many people. However, it did spawn a lot of fanboys and shippers that can't stand Ash acting any differently than his XY persona, or liking anybody else but Serena, or having a cooler/stronger team than his Kalos Pokemon.

What that user said was that Serena kissing Ash was in a platonic sense and was her letting go of her feelings for him completely. The user further says that The kiss was her saying “thank you for inspiring me” which is in line with her quoting him in JN105, and it wasn’t in a romantic way at all. Serena realized that having a crush is silly and she doesn’t love him anymore, so she became a more independent person solely focused on her goal, thus her love for Ash became platonic instead of romantic.

Ok, that's not how kissing works.

Bruh, she obviously still likes him.

The writers just didn't want to put Ash and Serena together in an extended scene where the elephant in the room (her crush/kiss) had to be addressed.

Yes, but you expect too much from a show that refuses to let its protagonist gain any significant maturity. Unfortunately, it's too late for him to get that sort of development now; he's leaving in 10 episodes, and there's simply no time left.

Well yes, now it is too late. The narrative had plenty of opportunities in XY, or in SM or JN to bring Serena back and continue this subplot. Now, if/when Ash blushes at Serena in this finale arc, it's going to come across as random, if not forced.

michael147

With best wishes
Wdym grow over her crush and open herself to love ash? That seems contradictory.
In my opinion, when you have a crush, your agenda is 'this person is for me'. You put yourself in the centre and wait for good things from another person. Even if you do good things for him, it's still done more for yourself than for him. In a crush you stutter and blush because you are afraid of hurting yourself, and you can become angry because you haven't got any attention. At least before the kiss it was Serena's case and in Sinnoh it was Kengo's.

When you love a person, your agenda is 'I am for this person'. You put him in the centre and unconditionally do good things for him. His happiness has more priority than yours. You feel depressed and even annoyed with yourself that you couldn't help more, you overreact. You are serious about your feelings, about your desire to be there for him. To pretend on Satoshi's heart Serena needs to be like that. I think it is her only possible way.

vondecayle

that can't stand Ash acting any differently than his XY persona
To be fair some people (like me) just wanted consistency with his character, rather than drastically changing his personality and development from saga to saga, it’s even more annoying that the writers decided to do it twice from DP to BW and then back again after XY. They couldn’t just pick one and stayed with it? Instead they helped create false expectations about the growth of a character. It’s like they decided to correct course after BW, just to drop the ball again after XY.