• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This anime is written primarily for japanese kids. Do people seriously expect them to be aware of an american novel written in 1925 set in the Jazz age? Lmao.
In before some school requires it for a reading assignment

Morax

King of heroes
I mean the great gatsby has had multiple Hollywood level movies. It's not out of the realm that it's known.
The great gatsby, at its core, is an american cultural phenomenon. It’s a critique on the american dream, something nobody outside of america can actually relate to. It’s dumb to compare it to stuff like batman and spiderman because they have universal appeal.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
The show has referenced pop culture and literature in the past:

And it's not like The Great Gatsby is some obscure piece of media. It's a very notable book and like entry-level literature for high schoolers, if not middle schoolers. With multiple movie adaptations too.

I think the anime left it ambiguous for a reason so people for/against can read whatever they want into the scene, but it was intended to serve a purpose.

The Great Gatsby is a tragedy novel. And the very last thing you want to compare Amourshipping to.

The Great Gatbsy is one of the greatest books ever written.

If in the 1% chance that green light shining at the dock next to Serena is supposed to be similar to the green light of Gatsby, then lol, that's not a good thing?

The green light is supposed to represent Gatsby's unyielding dream to be with Daisy. It's an allegory to the American Dream, and how achieving it is ultimately unattainable. It's a hope for a future that cannot be obtained, no matter how hard we reach out to it.

Hence those famous closing words:

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

We aspire to push forward, trying to grasp our dreams amidst constant obstacles. Yet our memories and experiences tie us to our past, pulling us backwards. Nevertheless, our persistence remains, and it's uncertain whether that future is realized, or if it's truly elusive like in Gatsby's case.

So with respect to Amourshipping, the green light would be indicative of a hopeful future together, but one that is more likely unable to come to fruition. Oof.

Last edited:

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
So in Amourshipping's case, the green light would be indicative of a hopeful future together, but one that ultimately cannot be reached? Oof.
Well unlike Gatsby's case the green light is just right beside serena

The Great Gatsby is a tragedy novel. And the very last thing you want to compare Amourshipping to.
Exactly. He freaking dies at the end (and even if he didn’t, he’d never get to be with Daisy)
Heck even Nick and Jordan break up for some reason

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I'm telling y'all, it's clearly a reference to this
amphibia-marcy-marcy.gif

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I love how quite a lot of people are coping in those comments (even if in a respectful way), thinking that a bunch of ambiguous and/or headcanoned stuff apparently has more validity than actual on-screen canonized content.
That is twitter for you being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
ARE WA DARE DA, DARE DA, DARE DA??
I'M STILL CONFUSED ABOUT WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH DEVILMAN SINCE I HAVEN'T SEEN IT

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
THAT SILHOUETTE THO
Ok you can just feel that's from the 70s. But nah this is the one that fell down a flight of stairs!

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Anyways from someone who is relatively new to the fandom is this the worst time to be an amourshipper or the discourse has always been this way?

Anyways from someone who is relatively new to the fandom is this the worst time to be an amourshipper or the discourse has always been this way?
Maybe during SM it was the worse (because no Serena) but this is pretty bad. Lately I’ve seen so many more Pokeshippers than Amourshippers.

Unpopular opinion: I hate JN105 because if they don’t follow up on Amourshipping aspect of it it’ll be one of the worst episodes ever because Serena and Ash only reunited for 30 seconds.