• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Yeah, I'm not even primarily an Amour Shipper, but I do feel bad for y'all. Hope there's at least some form of closure with that dynamic one way or another, as it would be kind of lame if they just ignored it altogether.

The only people who worry about this like it's the end of the world here are those who don't have faith to what has already been established.

Like geez, Serena kissed Ash on the lips. And she remains the only girl to do so. That is closure, that is settled for what the future holds for them. Even when Misty came back in the finale, I realize that all supposed romantic feelings she has for Ash... could easily be seen as a sisterly love with Ash. A friendly, sibling rivalry. And that's because Serena shows what it's actually like to have romance with Ash. The admiration, the formality, and the fact they are always given limited time with each other to truly cherish what's important for them.

For many, Amour wins by default if there is no romance episode in the future. And we are reaching the limits of what you can do with romance between two young kids. We'll need a time skip to really see how Ash and Serena's romance will progress.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
The only people who worry about this like it's the end of the world here are those who don't have faith to what has already been established.

Like geez, Serena kissed Ash on the lips. And she remains the only girl to do so. That is closure, that is settled for what the future holds for them. Even when Misty came back in the finale, I realize that all supposed romantic feelings she has for Ash... could easily be seen as a sisterly love with Ash. A friendly, sibling rivalry. And that's because Serena shows what it's actually like to have romance with Ash. The admiration, the formality, and the fact they are always given limited time with each other to truly cherish what's important for them.

For many, Amour wins by default if there is no romance episode in the future. And we are reaching the limits of what you can do with romance between two young kids. We'll need a time skip to really see how Ash and Serena's romance will progress.
If there was a timeskip and Ash and Serena weren't together, how would you react?

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender

Like geez, Serena kissed Ash on the lips. And she remains the only girl to do so. That is closure, that is settled for what the future holds for them..
I guess people just want a follow up to the kiss so to check if the writers are firm on their decision
If there was a timeskip and Ash and Serena weren't together, how would you react?
Well let's turn that question upsidedown if amourshipping becomes canon how would you react?

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
If it's handled and written well, good that they were able to pull it off.
Well judging from your misconstrued takes that Serena is 'obsessed' and 'dependent' at ash I doubt anything about amourshipping will be well written to you

Last edited:
I guess people just want a follow up to the kiss so to check if the writers are firm on their decision

Well let's turn that question upsidedown if amourshipping becomes canon how would you react?
I would scream and jump for joy. I would be so happy.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
About the Ash x Red conversation...

I just remembered there Mato, the original artist of PokeSpe, had drawn Ash... And he looked just like Red, except for the clothes being Ash's

World Turtle

I liked amourshipping at first but the one sided nature of it beyond ambiguous hints from Ash’s side frustrated me. I like there to be solid chemistry between both sides of a relationship.

Like remember that event with Serena and Calem in Masters EX? The one with Greninja? The trailer for it was dripping in chemistry between them with their dialogue.

I think a last second or time skip hookup would annoy me since I want to see how they got there. Suddenly just being together would feel hollow.

…Like okay if they did a spin off manga for the Ash era of the anime that covered any loose ends the anime leaves hanging I’d be all for it if they made amourshipping (heck any Ash/Pokegirl ship) the romantic subplot. I picture dealing with Giovanni/TR would be the “action” subplot.

…personally I would find it hilarious if they went the harem route. Everybody (hopefully) wins!

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
I liked amourshipping at first but the one sided nature of it beyond ambiguous hints from Ash’s side frustrated me. I like there to be solid chemistry between both sides of a relationship.

Like remember that event with Serena and Calem in Masters EX? The one with Greninja? The trailer for it was dripping in chemistry between them with their dialogue.

I think a last second or time skip hookup would annoy me since I want to see how they got there. Suddenly just being together would feel hollow.

…Like okay if they did a spin off manga for the Ash era of the anime that covered any loose ends the anime leaves hanging I’d be all for it if they made amourshipping (heck any Ash/Pokegirl ship) the romantic subplot. I picture dealing with Giovanni/TR would be the “action” subplot.

…personally I would find it hilarious if they went the harem route. Everybody (hopefully) wins!
If the series were more realistic, Ash probably would have dated most if not all of his female companions at various points and inevitably break up with each one when his dreams of becoming a Pokemon Master got in the way. That way, everyone would both win and lose. Mutually assured destruction!

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

The kind of relationship you're describing is an ambiguous relationship that could either pivot to romantic or platonic. It's the kind of hints that made ships in the past popular... but ultimately going nowhere because everyone is in comic book time and therefore not aging. Romance for Ash would require Ash to be aged as a teenager or young adult. Around that age does Ash starting to show his affection to Serena feel natural and right. Which is why Rotoscare's artwork and fan fiction offers the most realistic take on Ash's future. The two haven't seen each other for many years due to be always busy. But by the time they meet, Serena hasn't forgotten about Ash while Ash finally realizes he has feelings for Serena. In a sort of awkward moment like he doesn't know how to process it.

I consider this potential scenario to be akin to The Last: Naruto the Movie plot, which is all about Naruto realizing his feelings for Hinata after so many episodes of Hinata expressing her feelings about Naruto. For Ash to finally hook up, a whole movie or special mini-series would be needed to do it justice.

About the Ash x Red conversation...

I just remembered there Mato, the original artist of PokeSpe, had drawn Ash... And he looked just like Red, except for the clothes being Ash's

qa7crnqacnb61.jpg

Well that's not surprising. Mato created her own take on Red based on his game sprite and artwork. Naturally, an anime version of Red would greatly resemble PokeSpe Red. You can actually see what Mato considers Ash and Red to be the same and what she considers them to be different.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
qa7crnqacnb61.jpg

Well that's not surprising. Mato created her own take on Red based on his game sprite and artwork. Naturally, an anime version of Red would greatly resemble PokeSpe Red. You can actually see what Mato considers Ash and Red to be the same and what she considers them to be different.
Yeah like, even spe red looks vastly different from any of his game designs. Tbh kinda odd since every other game character looks mostly similar to their game designs

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Wasn't that one sided too? At the story mode we only see calem trying to be a worthy rival to Serena while Serena was just there

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I really think the banter part is just personal taste not everyone has to be a tsundere to have a great dynamic you know

May and Dawn weren't tsundere. I just think Amour would have been stronger if Serena could have joked around and teased Ash more, and vice-versa. Especially with SM and JN Ash being more emotive, for lack of a better word, than XY Ash. That's all.

Not really a lot of people in this forum really meant what they said just look at the decisions that you can't forgive thread

Controversial statement coming up!

I've noticed this back-and-forth in PAD a lot between those who criticize Serena/Amourshipping/XY in general, and those who vociferously defend it. You say people get triggered by a French girl, and that's absolutely true.

However, I also feel a lot of Serena fans go into hyper-defensive mode about her character and shipping, as if it's some complex nuanced development that has never been done before. You can like Serena and Amourshipping, find it endearing and entertaining, and something that you want to go to fruition. You can also criticize the unnecessary amount of time it took for Serena to get her goal going; Serena cruising through Showcases/XY to the extent that it made her look almost Sue-ish; and only making Ash's hints super subtle rather than something more obvious and adding more depth to his character. Lastly, you can like Amourshipping and other pairings, and you can like Amourshipping without discrediting other ships ('this is the only ship with true hints/subplot', 'it's sisterly love not romantic!', 'it's all in the dub only').

Yeah I know as much as I rag on some of the overzealous shippers I too would really be salty if amour didn't get a proper conclusion

It’s basically a role reversal
And if this ends up being a lie
Then I would be pissed

I mean, if Ash by chance ended up with somebody else, shouldn't you be happy that he got a good ending?

Unless it's somebody from complete left field, this isn't going to be a Matt x Sora from Digimon type scenario. Especially if it's Poke or Pearl or one of the other big pairings, Ash had great relationships with those characters too.

I guess I don't see myself attached to this like some sports team. It's not that deep. Whether it's Serena, Misty, Dawn, Lillie, etc., I think I'd prefer something working out rather than nothing.

At the end of the day, maybe this should be viewed from the lens that this is the childhood backstory to a future romance as adults.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
However, I also feel a lot of Serena fans go into hyper-defensive mode about her character and shipping, as if it's some complex nuanced development that has never been done before.
Seeing the way a lot of people in this forum bash or criticize serena and amourshipping I can totally understand why a lot of people here can be hyper defensive just look at this thread compared to the pokeshipping ones there are barely any antis there while in this thread it's obvious that a lot of antis here are low-key derailing stuff hell you don't even see cricket and Jane trying to derail the pokeshipping thread...yet but here we have a lot of antis like Gohmaster and Greninjamaster trying to low-key derail this thread. It's really hypocritical to think that we are the only ones who get riled up in these type of discourse
Lastly, you can like Amourshipping and other pairings, and you can like Amourshipping without discrediting other ships
If this is pertaining to me then I would go as far as to say that Ash had better chemistry with Dawn rather than Serena
I guess I don't see myself attached to this like some sports team. It's not that deep. Whether it's Serena, Misty, Dawn, Lillie, etc.,
This is my personal bias speaking Since I really shipped ash with May or Dawn back then seeing pokeshipping back on track just irks me since how much of a threat pokeshipping was to those two ships
You can also criticize the unnecessary amount of time it took for Serena to get her goal going; Serena
I can also defend that by saying it would be just a repeat of May's arc if she found her goal sooner. And I can also say things like that realistically takes time

This perfectly sums up my thoughts regarding to that matter:
Yes, I think this was great. Society likes to be very harsh on people who are indesivive about the things they want to do in life and I thinks it’s important to note that you don’t need to have everything figured out by the age of 10 (in the context of the show), and that sometimes it takes time to figure things out, even then life throws curveballs and things may change in the future.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Wrath of god type stuff...dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria... /kidding

We’re getting to the point where this is Ashs endgame and while the Pokeshipping speculation is at an all time high we are so dry of content that we start looking at the TV tropes Amour page to start getting back on topic
Please...keep looking at TVTropes. Follow the web of links where it takes you. Come back and give us a report when you get to the end of the site and there is nothing left to learn about anything....

World Turtle

I mostly came here because I didn’t want to derail threads in the other sections of the site. And because I’m trying to understand several things: why are people so passionate about their ships be it poke, amour, or Ash’s hat with his hand (I’m pretty sure that’s a thing on that site with the huge list of ships), that they continue derailing threads or engage in flame wars over them.

They’re 10, they’re fictional, and the premise of the show has never been Ash’s love life, but about monster sports teams beating the crap out of each other. and yet unless they’re just trolling there are people who act like it’ll be the end of the world if Ash doesn’t get with “insert character here” or if he gets with a different one. I’m pretty sure you’ll survive this. The world isn’t going to end because of it.

I’ve never been a diehard shipper. Probably not since high school anyways. So I’ve forgotten how important seeing the characters you like become official couples is. And frankly it was ultimately crappy shipping fics that caused me to lose interest in the main Ash/Pokegirl ships. I’m more into rare pairs these days or about stories focusing on Ash and his Pokémon. It’s rarely about developing a relationship between two people and more about using the girl to boost Ash’s ego. Or “die for our ship” and bashing is in play. I find the best romance stories are the one-shots that are simple, short, and sweet.

I think it’s because of those crappy fics my brain is mixing canon and the fan dumb and/or it’s making me over critical of Ash and Serena’s dynamic in the anime.

AARTX

Dead inside…
Like I said, BW2 was the closest we’re gonna get to getting an actual romantic subplot in the games. (and one of the reasons why Gen 5 was peak) Lillie and Shauna came close, but were slightly toned down in comparison.

Now that I think about it, maybe the writers based Amour off of Nate x Yancy, while the childhood backstory was based off of Red and Yellow.