• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I’m honestly hoping they don’t get together in some time skip because that ruins the point of the ship for me. Having the ship become cemented in canon is boring. Seeing it develop properly (and not just hints) is so much more satisfying.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I’m honestly hoping they don’t get together in some time skip because that ruins the point of the ship for me. Having the ship become cemented in canon is boring. Seeing it develop properly (and not just hints) is so much more satisfying.
I kinda disagree I think @Shadao has the right response to this
If people want Ash and Serena actually professing their love for each other, start dating and eventually get married, then they ought to look at Phineas and Ferb: Act Your Age to see how the anime would have to handle it. Like Pokémon, Phineas and Ferb all takes place in the summer. A hundred and four days to be exact. And how many episodes there in Phineas and Ferb? 129. And how long did the actual show ran? 8 years. Yes, it is an eternal summer in Phineas and Ferb that also somehow got Christmas episodes. So how does one deal with childhood romance paying off?

phinabella.png

A deliberate time skip where the protagonists are older and more mature to seriously engage in a romantic relationship. Now Pokemon isn't going to do that any time soon because future is never that clear (especially when it comes to Ash's new Pokémon). But if they want to actually realize Ash and Serena as an official couple, the time skip is needed as it allows the characters to finally grow up while still leaving room for more adventures in the vague timeline gap.

Ironically, Phineas is just like Ash, oblivious to Isabella's crush on him throughout the eternal summer. He wouldn't realize his own crush on Isabella or the fact Isabella had a crush on him until he finally grows up years later. Turns out Phineas may be oblivious as a kid, but his subconscious does love Isabella.

The same thing can be said about Ash. He may be oblivious on the surface, but his subconscious feelings do surface from time to time when it comes to Serena. It just requires a little time skip and growth in maturity for him to fully comprehend what he's feeling. But that is best left to imagination as the seeds are already there. There's no need to water them and watch them grow unless the anime team really wants to explore a world where Ash is grown up.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Fun fact: this is probably the first amourshipping fanart by SideselC it was uploaded in July 2013 few months before XY's release
pokemon_x_y_anime___ash__serena__pikachu_by_sidselc_d6fk4c5-250t.png

Source

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
However, they went as far as bringing her into mentoring Chloe for one day who was least interested in contests. They could have just brought a random COTD with a Sylveon or rather shown Lisia owning one instead of bringing Serena back.

I mean, every companion got a post-series episode. Serena was desperately due for one.

Come to think of it, among all the three pokegirls who were into contests, only Serena was shown to have reached the top in the Master Class. What about May? What about Dawn? No insult to Pearlshippers but if they feel that their ship has won because of Dawn's repeated comebacks, they need to look closer - Dawn seems to have failed to win even a single major contest tournament/contest live...and from the looks of it, Ash and Serena are being projected as a future power couple. Previously, both of them ended up as runner-ups in their respective finals...and now both of them are at the top. A World Champion/Monarch and his Queen from Kalos?

Didn’t Serena call May something like the 'princess of Hoenn'? Aren't they both competing in the same class considering May's cameo?

Also why does Dawn’s performances have anything to do with shipping? By that logic, Ash x Iris should be the power couple considering they're both Champions of a region.

Moreover, this may sound sexist to some but I feel that Serena was projected as an ideal future wife/mother. This has a lot to do with Japan's cultural norms and views about women's role in society. Take a look at this video survey (with captions on) if you're interested and see how much Serena's character has similarities with it: What feminine traits do Japanese boys like in girls? Ask Japanese about feminine girl skills. Throughout XY, she's shown to be a really good baker and in JN138 she tells her mother that she's become good at cooking meals too which astonishes her mother. Which other pokegirl (apart from Mallow who runs a restaurant) was depicted to be good at cooking? All I'm saying is that she was basically brought in as a future spouse for Ash (much like how a shy/feminine/motherly Hinata was always supposed to end up with Naruto).

As much as I'm not a fan of stereotypical presentation, there is probably some truth here. Serena herself said that semi-controversial line of, 'girls should make themselves look good.' Showcases too were a female-only event with feminine roots.

this is what should've happened

Beautiful fanart by Thiago sinaz

Man, some people are talented. If only this happened.

Fun fact: this is probably the first amourshipping fanart by SideselC it was uploaded in July 2013 few months before XY's release
pokemon_x_y_anime___ash__serena__pikachu_by_sidselc_d6fk4c5-250t.png

Source

I remember seeing this back in the day. Who could have predicted what was to come?!

A reddit user made this sick with context edit of the kiss and farewell scene

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmourShipping/comments/10hq4ol

That hilariously awkward kiss animation aside, this was quite good.

Might write another large post expanding on the mediocrity related to episode 105 was as well as trying to make a more extensive summary of some of the central conundrums surrounding the state of AmourShipping and Serena after the show ends.

I mean, Serena revealed her feelings. She gave him a kiss. There was nothing further from her end other than her reconfirming those feelings in a later series and Ash reciprocating those feelings.

At the very least, the JN episode weakly reaffirmed those feelings. Serena is thinking of and quoting Ash when speaking to Chloe. She reacts positively to seeing him again. The boat scene is a mirror of the elevator scene, with Ash being the one this time pulled away from Serena by fate and his goals.

I mean, in XY, Ash did have some number of (subtle) hints, especially when considered as a totality.

I wrote this a few pages back:
Ash's Hints:

* A lot of scenes where Ash is cheering on and supporting Serena, often louder than Bonnie and Clemont, and with the 'camera' focused on him
* A lot of scenes where Ash calls out only to Serena, especially if she's in trouble/danger, or looks at her with concern
* The XY group dynamic was often duo-based, so Ash/Serena got a lot of scenes where they're placed next to each other (walking, sitting etc.)
* Ash asking Serena to join the group (first time he asked a girl to join)
* Ash scratching his philtrum/cheek out of embarrassment/nervousness on several occasions around Serena
* Ash recognizing and appreciating Serena's support in several gym battles - obviously Wulfric's comes to mind, but also Viola's and Korrina's
* ^ That entire snowball scene fallout was Ash ruminating on Serena's words to break out of his and Greninja's funk
* The flashback itself didn't show anything overtly romantic from Ash's side, but the general vibe screamed childhood romance
* Ash having a blank stare (of attraction?) to Serena wearing the Fennekin and furisode outfits
* Ash falling into Serena's arms, and not Clemont's or Bonnie's, when sick
* Ash willingly spending a day going shopping with Serena, which is otherwise completely OOC for him, just to cheer her up, followed by a battle to encourage her some more
* Ash reacting positively to Serena telling him that he's her goal
* Ash being in awe of Serena having kissed him, and reactively positively afterwards
* No arguments with Serena over petty stuff (NOTE: some people think this is a positive, though personally, I think Ash's snark is a key part of his personality, and that banter was missing with Serena)

However, as I said then:

The things is, ^ all of that just begs the question why the Anipoke staff didn't fully commit to this pairing.

Why not have Ash show more attraction or blush?

Why avoid having a Serena reappearance for 5.5 years after XY, only to have a 30 second reunion between the two?

They weren't afraid to have a kiss. Therefore, were they really unable to write one scene of them alone talking it out?

I think all the staff needed to do was create one small scene in SM or JN where these two could have talked about what happened on the elevator.

For example:

Ash and Serena sitting together alone on the beach, watching the Alolan sunset.
Ash: "blahblahblah Grand Trial blahblahblah."
Serena: "blahblahblah Contests blahblahblah never give up until the end blahblahblah that's what you told me Ash!", as she stands up, spins, and then turns around, blushing down at Ash.
Ash: "Yeah!" as he too gets up emphatically, pumping his fist in the air. His eyes meet Serena's, and his face suddenly changes, turning quiet as the two look silently at one other.
There's a pause in the air with the two facing each other amidst the calm ocean breeze and setting sun.
Ash averts his eyes and scratches his cheek, as he asks somewhat nervously: "Listen Serena...about what happened on the elevator.."
Serena, shaking her head, hurriedly interrupts: "Listen Ash, now you know how I feel about you and..." Her eyes suddenly flash with renewed energy and she finishes with confidence. "And I'll make you feel the same way back one day!"
Ash's eyes glisten in awe and there's a faint blush on his cheeks. Before he could reply, the sound of his Alolan classmates in the distance ring the air, calling them back for dinner.
Ash turns to her and says, "Yeah!" in agreement, and the two run back to the others.

---------------------------

^^^ I mean, look, I made that up in <5 minutes, and I realize it's very corny. I'm not saying that's how I'd actually write such a scene with more time, but at least it addresses what happened at the end of XY. There's set-up for a budding romance as they grow older.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
I mean, every companion got a post-series episode. Serena was desperately due for one.

Didn’t Serena call May something like the 'princess of Hoenn'? Aren't they both competing in the same class considering May's cameo?

Also why does Dawn’s performances have anything to do with shipping? By that logic, Ash x Iris should be the power couple considering they're both Champions of a region.

As much as I'm not a fan of stereotypical presentation, there is probably some truth here. Serena herself said that semi-controversial line of, 'girls should make themselves look good.' Showcases too were a female-only event with feminine roots.

Man, some people are talented. If only this happened.

I remember seeing this back in the day. Who could have predicted what was to come?!

That hilariously awkward kiss animation aside, this was quite good.

I mean, Serena revealed her feelings. She gave him a kiss. There was nothing further from her end other than her reconfirming those feelings in a later series and Ash reciprocating those feelings.

At the very least, the JN episode weakly reaffirmed those feelings. Serena is thinking of and quoting Ash when speaking to Chloe. She reacts positively to seeing him again. The boat scene is a mirror of the elevator scene, with Ash being the one this time pulled away from Serena by fate and his goals.

I mean, in XY, Ash did have some number of (subtle) hints, especially when considered as a totality.

I wrote this a few pages back:

However, as I said then:

I think all the staff needed to do was create one small scene in SM or JN where these two could have talked about what happened on the elevator.

For example:

Ash and Serena sitting together alone on the beach, watching the Alolan sunset.
Ash: "blahblahblah Grand Trial blahblahblah."
Serena: "blahblahblah Contests blahblahblah never give up until the end blahblahblah that's what you told me Ash!", as she stands up, spins, and then turns around, blushing down at Ash.
Ash: "Yeah!" as he too gets up emphatically, pumping his fist in the air. His eyes meet Serena's, and his face suddenly changes, turning quiet as the two look silently at one other.
There's a pause in the air with the two facing each other amidst the calm ocean breeze and setting sun.
Ash averts his eyes and scratches his cheek, as he asks somewhat nervously: "Listen Serena...about what happened on the elevator.."
Serena, shaking her head, hurriedly interrupts: "Listen Ash, now you know how I feel about you and..." Her eyes suddenly flash with renewed energy and she finishes with confidence. "And I'll make you feel the same way back one day!"
Ash's eyes glisten in awe and there's a faint blush on his cheeks. Before he could reply, the sound of his Alolan classmates in the distance ring the air, calling them back for dinner.
Ash turns to her and says, "Yeah!" in agreement, and the two run back to the others.

---------------------------

^^^ I mean, look, I made that up in <5 minutes, and I realize it's very corny. I'm not saying that's how I'd actually write such a scene with more time, but at least it addresses what happened at the end of XY. There's set-up for a budding romance as they grow older.
I'll say it again, the fact that Serena is the only one putting any efforts makes this relationship so one-sided it's just sad to watch. There is no struggle or yearning from Ash. Serena must go through trials and tribulations to win his heart while he's just sitting there like a trophy....

Y'know what would be hilarious tho? If Ash fell in love with a girl who is too dumb to understand his feelings. His turn to deal with unrequited love, would be thematically accurate too lel.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I'll say it again, the fact that Serena is the only one putting any efforts makes this relationship so one-sided it's just sad to watch. There is no struggle or yearning from Ash. Serena must go through trials and tribulations to win his heart while he's just sitting there like a trophy....

Y'know what would be hilarious tho? If Ash fell in love with a girl who is too dumb to understand his feelings. His turn to deal with unrequited love, would be thematically accurate too lel.
I mean yeah, the girl has to move on at some point. Especially if you're not going to be near him almost ever and just run into him occasionally. I think I did see some fanfics were this happened and she went with Alain lol. Ash needs to give some answer

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Well I guess there was sort of Giselle but she wasn't dumb lol

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!

Well that's one of the flaws of Amourshipping.

I wrote this some pages ago:

XY reveals this brand new companion and... BAM - she gets a tropey backstory scene with a younger Ash (who's just like his XY persona) and a canon crush within the first dozen episodes. There wasn't a 60-something episode build-up where she realizes that she has feelings towards him after getting to know him; instead, she's crushing after him from the get-go.

Also, with how Ash behaved in OS and at times in AG/DP/BW and later SM/JN, some would question if Serena would like a less heroic/knight-in-shining-armor Ash and a more emotive, sarcastic, and/or goofy Ash.

For rest of XY, Serena continues to crush over Ash, and while there are heartfelt moments like the camp river scene and obviously the snowball scene/episode, a lot of it was played up for gags. The dance episode, the date episode, Ash-gets-sick episode, were such audience baits, and instead ended up as more comedic moments of Serena liking Ash.

Of course, while all of this was undeniably entertaining, I think everybody wanted the ship to progress more, especially from Ash's side, and be something like Contestshipping from AG, where it was fairly obvious that May and Drew had mutually shared feelings. Lastly, and this is more of personal opinion, but there is question over why Ash would end up with Serena over any of his other traveling companions other than she is the only one (besides Misty) who likes him and is the only one to have made a move.

I'm surprised there wasn't a, "Ash battles for Serena," episode at the very least. That happened with Ash vs Ruby (for Misty) and Ash vs Kenny (for Dawn).

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!

I'm surprised there wasn't a, "Ash battles for Serena," episode at the very least. That happened with Ash vs Ruby (for Misty) and Ash vs Kenny (for Dawn).
They could have basically just copied the Atem/Anzu date episode from yugioh lol. Including the ddr dance off

Morax

King of heroes

>60 episode build-up
Are you seriously expecting this from Pokemon?

Not trying to bash any ships but Misty/Macy/Anabel/ etc don't have any particular 'reasons' for crushing on him. Neither do Kukui and burnett. At least in serena's case you know why and how she fell in love.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
>60 episode build-up
Are you seriously expecting this from Pokemon?

Not trying to bash any ships but Misty/Macy/Anabel/ etc don't have any particular 'reasons' for crushing on him. Neither do Kukui and burnett. At least in serena's case you know why and how she fell in love.
I don't think you can really say Serena is in love with Ash. Definitely infatuated and crushing on, but love that does not make

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I really don't get why people are obsessed of making Ash declare his love for Serena now rather than later in a time skip. They are in no hurry to adulthood, marriage and making family.

As Yajima stated in the 2016, their relationship is destined to become a romantic one in their future. A future that is now possible thanks to Ash's journey coming to an end for us. No more shippers watching every episode anxiously of whether Ash would get a new romantic love interest.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I really don't get why people are obsessed of making Ash declare his love for Serena now rather than later in a time skip. They are in no hurry to adulthood, marriage and making family.

As Yajima stated in the 2016, their relationship is destined to become a romantic one in their future. A future that is now possible thanks to Ash's journey coming to an end for us. No more shippers watching every episode anxiously of whether Ash would get a new romantic love interest.
There will never be a timeskip, and Ash won't age.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
There will never be a timeskip, and Ash won't age.
And you think that matters when Ash leaving the series?

Once our journey with him is over, everything is left to the imagination of fanfiction writers. This time, there would be no worry of the anime possibly rendering the fanfic obsolete.

It's why something like a Queen's Champion fanfic has a lot more appeal than Road to be a Pokémon Master fanfic that was released around the Sun and Moon era. One is closer to the canonical ending than the other, and it actually feels like a continuation of Ash's canonical journey.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I don't think you can really say Serena is in love with Ash. Definitely infatuated and crushing on, but love that does not make

she views him as an inspiration, saved his life a few times and kissed him on the lips if that is not love to you then what is?

and also how the hell did SerGoldenhandtheJust got banned from this thread while you can still post in here?

Last edited: