• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Amourshipping Thread V3

Morax

King of heroes
When will people realise that Ash isn't dense because he's 10 but because he's a stock shounen hero. He's a fictional character based on a certain archetype, there's no point in comparing him to a real person....

Satoshi no masara

Professional couch potato
Not much but a message from Mayuki Makiguchi (Serena's VA) to Ash from her vlog post

Courtesy of Dogasu:
3ejE9QE.png

Link: https://ameblo.jp/makimayu1209/

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
When will people realise that Ash isn't dense because he's 10 but because he's a stock shounen hero. He's a fictional character based on a certain archetype, there's no point in comparing him to a real person....
I really hate when "dense Ash" gets brought up post-XY, especially when there's evidence to the contrary.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Yes...but also no.

You're right, Serena's goodbye was poignant, and was a parallel to the elevator scene, except this time it was Ash being whisked away. It was framed as a moment of longing, especially with Serena waiting until the ship left the horizon. It would have been even better of a scene had the show portrayed Ash watching the dock until it too disappeared.

However, their interaction being considered special just because it was so limited...isn't a good thing? The fact that Serena got 1 episode after 5.5 years, and her only interaction with Ash was a measly 30 seconds, really shouldn't be viewed as a positive. The fact that she wasn't written to be present for the Masters 8, the most important tournament of Ash's life, is rather bad, especially when Dawn was there instead.

With Misty and Dawn, they've met up with Ash multiple times now. They already had poignant goodbyes at the end of OS and DP. Nowadays, when they say goodbye, it's more of a "see you in a few months" (or however time works in this universe), since that is actually the case.

And such frequency of goodbyes has essentially wilted those ships into mere friendships. Due to the anime's comic book time and Ash remaining 10-years old, Ash couldn't really advance any relationships into a romantic one without feeling out of character. As I've said before, for Ash to truly understand romance, he would need to be a bit older and more mature to recognize that feeling within himself.

Ash's interactions with Dawn and Misty hasn't really advanced to the next level, and this lack of advancement is why they felt more platonic and sibling-like in Journeys than in the past series. This is in contrast to Serena, where the limited interaction is enough to clue viewers in that Serena's feelings for Ash are more than just platonic.

Plus, while Dawn did watch Ash in person during the Master 8 tournament, she was never really given a proper goodbye. Just sort of disappeared off-screen after meeting Ash and Pikachu at the Pokémon Center. I would rather have Serena and Ash get a proper, meaningful goodbye to each other than Serena just disappearing off-screen.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
And such frequency of goodbyes has essentially wilted those ships into mere friendships. Due to the anime's comic book time and Ash remaining 10-years old, Ash couldn't really advance any relationships into a romantic one without feeling out of character.

I just think the writers wanted to avoid having to write a longer Amourshipping scene where Ash and Serena talk over what happened at the elevator. That's why Ash and Serena were kept apart, and their only post-XY interaction was 30 seconds.

You might say "those ships wilted into mere friendships," but at least those relationships were continually maintained.

I think most Amourshippers back in 2016 would have rather preferred a reality where Ash meets with Serena in Alola again for her mini-arc and admits, "I don't understand this stuff that well right now but maybe one day," and Serena acknowledges that, and more Amourshipping content could have followed in SM, JN, and MPM.

As I've said before, for Ash to truly understand romance, he would need to be a bit older and more mature to recognize that feeling within himself.

That's fair.

Ash's interactions with Dawn and Misty hasn't really advanced to the next level, and this lack of advancement is why they felt more platonic and sibling-like in Journeys than in the past series. This is in contrast to Serena, where the limited interaction is enough to clue viewers in that Serena's feelings for Ash are more than just platonic.

Some would strongly argue that MPM02 says otherwise, but again, that's a difference in opinion.

Plus, while Dawn did watch Ash in person during the Master 8 tournament, she was never really given a proper goodbye. Just sort of disappeared off-screen after meeting Ash and Pikachu at the Pokémon Center. I would rather have Serena and Ash get a proper, meaningful goodbye to each other than Serena just disappearing off-screen.

Yes, that was a bit disappointing.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
So have amourshippers declared the person wrapping the pendent around Liko to be an adult Serena (as unrealistic as that may be) or have cocktailed the hopium, copium, and mopium into some convoluted theory about alternate universes, secret legacies, or massive time jumps? I’m asking because I need good fanfic ideas.

Xuxuba

Gotta say, even with the reunion being bittersweet and short, it still was more romantic than whatever we got in MPM, with them looking into each other's shimmering eyes as the ship departured and vowing to reach their goals as the sun was setting beautifully on the horizon. That is way better than a simple wave that is for sure lol

That said, as someone who really appreciated Serena's character arc, i was hoping for at least one more return not just for the amourshipping aspect, but to get the closure that her quick appearence at the M8's montage didn't give us.

KyleK

Fatebreaker
So have amourshippers declared the person wrapping the pendent around Liko to be an adult Serena (as unrealistic as that may be) or have cocktailed the hopium, copium, and mopium into some convoluted theory about alternate universes, secret legacies, or massive time jumps? I’m asking because I need good fanfic ideas.
Apparently it is her grandmother who's giving her the pendent.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonanime/comments/122cbf4

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Condescending towards rival ships/shippers, general off-topicness as usual
the amour community really went paranoid when that episode aired lol
Why would we feel threatened about a non-existent threat?

You know it's pretty telling when a lot of dissidents and Pokeshippers were invading this thread before/during the airing of MPM and trying to derail or spam it (who've gone pretty quite now), whereas I can't recall the vice versa from users here ever happening. Even Cricket was disciplined enough to stay in his own chosen realms.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
Why would we feel threatened about a non-existent threat?

You know it's pretty telling when a lot of dissidents and Pokeshippers were invading this thread before/during the airing of MPM and trying to derail or spam it (who've gone pretty quite now), whereas I can't recall the vice versa from users here ever happening. Even Cricket was disciplined enough to stay in his own chosen realms.
Well in the end all of us shippers didn't get what we want but it seems like we got biggest W and also the biggest L when it comes to ash ships lol