• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ampharos' Limelight

MotherRussia

ERMAHGERD, MERGIKERP
Ampharos' Limelight

As you can see, this team is centered around Ampharos. I wanted to try him out in Competitive because I was intrigued by this set, annd I thought, "Why, all it needs is some supporting!" So here you go, I hope it's good.

The Team

598.gif

Barbed Wire (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Curse
Ferro is boss. He sets up spikes, but what about after? He sets up and attacks like there's no tommorow. Oh, and walls. Never forget the walling. Power Whip is for powerful STAB, Gyro Ball takes advantage of that godawful speed, Curse powers up that speed even more, and Spikes helps weaken the opponent's pokemon even more. He is also my switch in for Dark types looking to destroy Latias & Espeon, Water types attacking Arcanine, Psychics trying to annihilate Conkeldurr, and the ghosts types trying to get SE damage on Latias and Espeon.

181.gif

Watt (Ampharos) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Ampharos, the star of the show! Ampharos is underrated IMO. He has a good SpA and decent defenses. All that needs to be fixed is speed. So I gave him Agility! Thunderbolt and HP Ice give him the feared BoltBeam coverage, and Focus Blast takes care of the other types. He takes people by surprise, as know one ever expects to see an Ampharos.

196.gif

Carbuncle (Espeon) (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Espeon here sets up screens in front of leads to help Ampharos and Latias AND repel status moves. Psyshock and Shadow Ball are there to give her a little attacking power. She stops leads and forces them to attack while she puts up screens, not only minimizing their attacking power, but benifitting the entire team, especially my set-up sweepers who appreciate it.

380.gif

Mia (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Latias is my other special sweeper. She can take hits and set up, then recover it all to sweep. Dragon Pulse and Surf are for amazing coverage, Calm Mind to set up, and recover to make all the attacks on her while setting up meaningless. She's my back-up SpA and my answer to a number of special attackers looking to destroy my team along with Ferrothorn. Not to mention the fact that she switches in on ground type moves looking to destroy Arcanine and Ampharos.

059.gif

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- ExtremeSpeed

Arcanine is one of my physical sweepers. He packs a huge punch. Close combat hits rocks and darks, Flare Blitz is his STAB, Wild Charge to get those annoying waters,and Extremespeed to pick off the weak. Arcanine, IMO, is here to clean up after Conkeldurr is taken down, and to take the fire attacks on Ferrothorn using his Flash Fire ability, effectively giving his Flare Blitz a major boost. Coupled with STAB, LO, and the Flash Fire boost, it certainly does some damage.

534.gif

Conkelderrp (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Conkeldurr is one of the best fighting types out there. With that massive attack stat AND a priority move, I had to make a slot for him. Bulk Up sets him up while giving him a defensive edge, Drain Punch replenishes his HP, Mach Punch to pick off the weak and make up for his speed, and Payback to work with his speed and attack ghosts and psychics. It's usage in the team is too break down physical walls like Ferrothorn so they won't get in the way of my other pokemon.

Well, there's my team, I hope you like it!​

Last edited:

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I think you meant physical sweeper for arcanine, I'll do a full rate later, but I have to go somewhere in a minute.

Generic User Name

Very good team. I cannot find much wrong with it, but I wanted to say that I love how you based the team around Ampharos.

Jr Breshears

PKMN Breeder
I dont feel like giving a full rate, but try testing out this set for Ampharos...

181.gif

Ampharos @ Leftovers
Ev's: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Defense / 6 Speed
Calm Naure (+SDef, -Atk)
-Cotton Guard
-Rest
-Charge Beam
-Hidden Power (Ice)

You use cotton guard until your at +6 which you can easily do. Then start charge beaming and pretty soon your Sp.A will be at +6 lol. Rest is for when your almost dead and HP ice is for coverage. Then your Ampharos is a boss and hard to take down xD. His HP, Defense, Sp.A, and Sp.D will be high from the ev's and all the stat boosts. Oh and use this ev spread for conkeldurr 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Sp.D. Also try running leech seed over curse on ferrothorn.

Hope I helped a little!​

MotherRussia

ERMAHGERD, MERGIKERP
Thanks, Jr! I'll test it out next weekend as I'm only allowed to use PO on weekends. The set definitely looks like it has potential. I think I'll stick w/ curse because it's helped me in a lotta situations. I'll also try out the conk EV spread. C:

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Ampharos' Limelight

As you can see, this team is centered around Ampharos. I wanted to try him out in Competitive because I was intrigued by this set, annd I thought, "Why, all it needs is some supporting!" So here you go, I hope it's good.

The Team

598.gif

Barbed Wire (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Curse
Ferro is boss. He sets up spikes, but what about after? He sets up and attacks like there's no tommorow. Oh, and walls. Never forget the walling. Power Whip is for powerful STAB, Gyro Ball takes advantage of that godawful speed, Curse powers up that speed even more, and Spikes helps weaken the opponent's pokemon even more. He is also my switch in for Dark types looking to destroy Latias & Espeon, Water types attacking Arcanine, Psychics trying to annihilate Conkeldurr, and the ghosts types trying to get SE damage on Latias and Espeon.
only thing I have to say is make sure you have a 0 speed iv
181.gif

Watt (Ampharos) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Ampharos, the star of the show! Ampharos is underrated IMO. He has a good SpA and decent defenses. All that needs to be fixed is speed. So I gave him Agility! Thunderbolt and HP Ice give him the feared BoltBeam coverage, and Focus Blast takes care of the other types. He takes people by surprise, as know one ever expects to see an Ampharos.
for it's speed, at +2 it will have a speed of 418 (maybe one or two less from hp ice) which outspeeds jolteon (the slowest thing after it) by 24 (418-394) so, diivide that by 2, makes it 12. To take off 10 of those stat points would free up 40 ev's to put in hp or def. And you should still outspeed timid jolteon
196.gif

Carbuncle (Espeon) (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Espeon here sets up screens in front of leads to help Ampharos and Latias AND repel status moves. Psyshock and Shadow Ball are there to give her a little attacking power. She stops leads and forces them to attack while she puts up screens, not only minimizing their attacking power, but benifitting the entire team, especially my set-up sweepers who appreciate it.
looks good
380.gif

Mia (Latias) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Latias is my other special sweeper. She can take hits and set up, then recover it all to sweep. Dragon Pulse and Surf are for amazing coverage, Calm Mind to set up, and recover to make all the attacks on her while setting up meaningless. She's my back-up SpA and my answer to a number of special attackers looking to destroy my team along with Ferrothorn. Not to mention the fact that she switches in on ground type moves looking to destroy Arcanine and Ampharos.
You might want to run timid, but that's a personal preference (or latios). also hp fire might come in handy if your having problems with ferrothorn
059.gif

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- ExtremeSpeed
looks good, recoil might stack up though
Arcanine is one of my physical sweepers. He packs a huge punch. Close combat hits rocks and darks, Flare Blitz is his STAB, Wild Charge to get those annoying waters,and Extremespeed to pick off the weak. Arcanine, IMO, is here to clean up after Conkeldurr is taken down, and to take the fire attacks on Ferrothorn using his Flash Fire ability, effectively giving his Flare Blitz a major boost. Coupled with STAB, LO, and the Flash Fire boost, it certainly does some damage.

534.gif

Conkelderrp (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Conkeldurr is one of the best fighting types out there. With that massive attack stat AND a priority move, I had to make a slot for him. Bulk Up sets him up while giving him a defensive edge, Drain Punch replenishes his HP, Mach Punch to pick off the weak and make up for his speed, and Payback to work with his speed and attack ghosts and psychics. It's usage in the team is too break down physical walls like Ferrothorn so they won't get in the way of my other pokemon.
looks good

Well, there's my team, I hope you like it!​

Comments are in bold

Jr Breshears

PKMN Breeder
also i recommend using the sub calm mind set for latias...

Latias @ Leftovers
Ev's: 252 HP / 4 Sp.A / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Ampharos is under rated and fairly so I'm afraid. Nothing wrong with it on your team set. Stand alone... Ampharos has problems competetively. However... like all under rated pokemon, they can be great with good team structure and careful team support and synergy. You have an elegant way of promoting that very point.

Scarf Landorus will prove to be a pain with U-turn and earthquake (especially in a sandstorm). Even after the first agility, I believe the calcs are still in Landorus' favour for speed. With U-turn it scores a nasty super effective hit on Latias and Espeon (I think Espeon comes close to a OHKO). Something with Ice Shard (like Mamoswine) would be a great addition to counter Landorus, Gliscor and some annoying dragons as the occassion arises. Just a small note I suppose.

It's a nice team all in all :)

Last edited:

zwgiantsfan

<- Best Pokémon Ever
Wow this team is outstanding
Arcanine looks great but after probs around 2 kills n some damage here and there cud kill himself (if u don't mind the risk)
I totally agree with ampharos: underrated n great
Unless ur willing to give up a turn to agility, y not try a timid nature?
Besides tht, no criticisms

MotherRussia

ERMAHGERD, MERGIKERP
@Dragon: Ferro has 0 IVs, I'll test out the ampharos suggestion and the Latios switch Saturday.

@Jr: I tried when I started making the team and steels were a pain in the butt, especially when at arc and conk died out.

@Silver: thanks! I don't know where an ice shard user would fit, but I'll try to see if it'll work.

@Giant: thank you. With timid, I lose some needed power, and as Dragon stated, with modest after one agility I'm already faster than timid jolt.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Awesome team muffin, my only critique is on Conk. He's one of my faves to use. Just as a suggestion why not try Lefties over Flame orb? That's what I use and it tends to work just as well since he gets a status one way or another, plus he has constant healing which really stacks up with Drain Punch. Also for EVs I would try to spread out the bulk a bit. His defense is already pretty great at base 95, and bulk up does the rest, so why not try a bit more Sp Defense EVs. I'd go with something like 116 Hp and put the rest in Sp Defense. I've gained tons of sweeps from that and I hope you think about it.

Last edited:

Rhonder

This actually looks like an excellent team. It's nice to see another OU Amphy user :D Mine's pretty much that, except I run timid and TWave over agility (thus far anyways) Rather than a rate, I have a question (If you don't mind). With those speed IV investments, will it be out running most things after just 1 agility? I know that Jolteon's pretty fast, so to be out running it seems impressive

MotherRussia

ERMAHGERD, MERGIKERP
692 - +2 Jolly 252 Terrakion
524 - +2 Jolly 252 Cloyster
519 - +1 Jolly 252 Terrakion
518 - +2 Modest 252 Venusaur
498 - +2 Bold 44 Bulky Volcarona
496 - +1 Naive 252 Landorus
492 - +1 Jolly 252 Jirachi / Salamence / Volcarona
486 - +1 Timid 252 Hydreigon
478 - +2 Adamant 252 Cloyster

Those are THE only pokemon it won't be outrnning after 1 Agility.

I see what you're getting at, Charizard. IT definitely could use some testing out. I give you the outcome this weekened.

Jackalacking

Greed the Avaricious
It's nice to see someone not sticking with your average Ou team and adding a little "spark" to it! I use flash fire Arcanine in a few of my teams and have found that choice band Arcanine works better for me than life orb. Even pokes that have a 2x resistance to whatever move arcanine is locked into have a tough time not getting 2HKOed, especially with entry hazards on the field. Your latias is good... Maybe run timid nature to outspeed others or maybe try a bulky dual screens latias if that's availiable. Overall I think this team is a great idea and using ampharos as your base for it was an awesome idea! :D

Swagga09

On ferrothorn, stealth rocks>>>spikes. It's more than always the better hazard.

Biteu

Idk, but SubDisable Gengar can march through this team this is my conclusion

252 SpAtk Gengar Focus Blast vs 252 HP/204 SpDef Ferrothorn: 55,11% - 65,34%
2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
- It can Disable Gyro Ball, take pittance from PowerWhip and 2hko with FB

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Ampharos: 44,72% - 52,48%
Entry hazards damage: 40
After entry hazards: 184 - 209 (57,14% - 64,91%)
2 hits to KO
- Shadow Ball is 2hko after SR Damage

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Espeon: 81,74% - 97,01%
2 hits to KO
- 2HKO (but it can sets up Light Screen which may influence the rest of the match with Gengar)

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Latias: 69,54% - 82,45%
2 hits to KO
- Even After +1 is 2hko

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Arcanine: 49,38% - 58,07%
Entry hazards damage: 80
After entry hazards: 239 - 267 (74,22% - 82,92%)
2 hits to KO
- 2hko after SR

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Conkeldurr: 52,84% - 62,5%
2 hits to KO
- Can scout Payback by Substitute and then Disable then 2hko

maybe im wrong maybe not....

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Idk, but SubDisable Gengar can march through this team this is my conclusion

252 SpAtk Gengar Focus Blast vs 252 HP/204 SpDef Ferrothorn: 55,11% - 65,34%
2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
- It can Disable Gyro Ball, take pittance from PowerWhip and 2hko with FB

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Ampharos: 44,72% - 52,48%
Entry hazards damage: 40
After entry hazards: 184 - 209 (57,14% - 64,91%)
2 hits to KO
- Shadow Ball is 2hko after SR Damage

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Espeon: 81,74% - 97,01%
2 hits to KO
- 2HKO (but it can sets up Light Screen which may influence the rest of the match with Gengar)

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Latias: 69,54% - 82,45%
2 hits to KO
- Even After +1 is 2hko

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Arcanine: 49,38% - 58,07%
Entry hazards damage: 80
After entry hazards: 239 - 267 (74,22% - 82,92%)
2 hits to KO
- 2hko after SR

252 SpAtk Gengar Shadow Ball vs 4 HP/0 SpDef Conkeldurr: 52,84% - 62,5%
2 hits to KO
- Can scout Payback by Substitute and then Disable then 2hko

maybe im wrong maybe not....

Your logic has one simple fault. You state Gengar marches through this team, but you acknowledge that most of these are 2HKOs. Unless you have some kind of very good recovery (you don't), you may KO one threat, but you are likely to be KOed by the next pokemon out. I'd just be careful in wording is all. Will Gengar annoy this team and score a KO or two, for sure. But telling someone that something "marches through" their team may get you some unintended hostility. Not everyone notices that you are only trying to help, and some people even see it as a chance to start a flame war.