• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Age Old Argument

Pokémon or Digimon?

• Total voters

ParaChomp

be your own guru
...brings back your childhood...
inspiration
(made a new thread since there were a few spelling errors)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Pokemon, not because I don't like Digimon, but because it was easier for me to get into. The Digimon anime, while one of my favorites of all time, was a bit complicated for my tastes. Too much "evolution" going on all the time and I was used to having cute little creatures remain cute little creatures instead of evolving all the time. I didn't really watch it until some time around 2001 when Pokemon lost it's appeal to me and Digimon seemed to have an interesting story arc going on.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Pokemon, not because I don't like Digimon, but because it was easier for me to get into. The Digimon anime, while one of my favorites of all time, was a bit complicated for my tastes. Too much "evolution" going on all the time and I was used to having cute little creatures remain cute little creatures instead of evolving all the time. I didn't really watch it until some time around 2001 when Pokemon lost it's appeal to me and Digimon seemed to have an interesting story arc going on.
Is the digimon plot really that complicated? I mean obviously pokemon is way less complex but I don't see how hard it is to comprehend when I was like 7 and able to figure it all out easily.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
What's the best option for someone who hasn't played the Digimon games, but likes the anime? I love the Digimon anime, but I don't know how good or bad the games are compared to the Pokemon games.

But, for the anime, it's Digimon. The Digimon anime has about 3 bad seasons, but I think there are more better seasons in general than Pokemon.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Since this is the anime, the question of whether or not we are talking about the games shouldn't even come into the argument.

With that said, Digimon wins hands down. The anime is my childhood. For me, Tai was much more iconic than Ash ever was. He was my role model when I was a kid and I never missed a single episode of Digimon on the weekends. Tai took charge and kicked butt whenever he was called to do so. He never gave up and Agumon was always there to back him up. He was the ledear of what was generally the most badass group of kids in the 90s

And the movie was just icing on the cake. It kicked so much *** and it is still my all time favorite movie, tied with Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. I still watch it from time to time just to get that kick of nostalgia and literally that inspiration that made me want to be a mangaka.

Sorry. but the Pokemon anime never held a candle to Digimon when they first exploded out. Ash can take his Pokeballs and shove them where the sun don't shine. Tai and Agumon can take him and Pikachu any day.

triangle

Triangle... I am one
Pokemon wins hands down for game and anime. The major flaw for me as a kid for digimon was that there where way to many main characters. There were like what 6 tamers to keep track of and then 6 digimon. And then the cat thing. Pokemon was easier to keep up with and as a child that meant better.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
The third option. So much the third option. If Pokemon flexed the narrative muscles every fan knows it has, it would be different, but it's written with different priorities. As it stands, Digimon rides the wave of "Kids empowered by fighting monsters" in ways Pokemon never has, not to mention better plots.

http://www.konaka.com/alice6/tamers/

^
(Tamers Writer/Character Designer's Notes)

You cannot tell me that (most of) Pokemon is more well thought out than that.

Twixted Mind

Psychotic Tracey fan
Well, Pokemon, but to be honest, I wish that there was a FIFTH option for those people who acutally like both series rather evenly. (The anime, specifically; I've never actually played any of the Digimon games, so that's kinda what pushed me towards Pokemon this time.)

I am incredibly tempted to make an exceedingly long post about how each series has its own specific merits that balance each other out quite well, but it's late where I am, so I think I'll do everyone a big favour and save you all the trouble of making a TL;DR post and possibly starting a giant flame war.

So yeah, that's it. I might pop in later with a more eloquent opinion, but I'm a little tired.

Probably going to get blasted for this but I never really cared for Digimon.

The designs themselves are just unappealing. People say new Pokemon look like Digimon, but they've clearly never seen a real Digimon if they truly believe that.

Digimon has a better written anime, and has two great movies directed by Mamoru Hosada, but that was simply a thing in the past. Digimon is easily the most irrelevant series out of the two. Even saying the anime is better isn't much since the anime itself isn't really all that special in the first place. Pokemon as a series is still going strong with games like B/W which continue to improve on the series in more ways than thought of.

I don't really have much time to watch anime that much anymore so sorry if my opinion is game oriented on Pokemon. Regardless in current times Digimon just isn't really all that relevant or even good anymore.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I voted for the third option. I played one of the Digimon games for the PlayStation once. It sucked. =( I had more fun playing my Pearl than I did playing that game.

The anime is still really good, though. Pokemon was good until the Sinnoh arc started. Then it crashed.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I don't really have much time to watch anime that much anymore so sorry if my opinion is game oriented on Pokemon. Regardless in current times Digimon just isn't really all that relevant or even good anymore.
Thats rather fine but regardless of opinion neither pokemon or digimon are too relevant in america. Sure the games sell but hey it's nintendo and pokemon games selling is staple.
Digimon in japan however has an anime franichise that's willing to invest in Ganbaride machines, collectors level lines like D-arts Digimon figures, and is apparently giving Toei is money with Xross wars.
Not saying you can't like pokemon more just saying it's still a fairly strong franchise if it can come back so easily.

Last edited:
Thats rather fine but regardless of opinion neither pokemon or digimon are too relevant in america. Sure the games sell but hey it's nintendo and pokemon games selling is staple.
I hope you're joking, you do realize how much Pokemon sells, right? HG/SS sold 1.73 million in it's first month in the United States. In Japan, B/W sold 2.6 million in the first two days being the biggest launch ever for a Pokemon game. Pokemon is not only Nintendo's top selling franchise, but one of the top selling franchises of all time. And while you can debate on the quality all you want, Pokemon is NOT irrelevant with fans across the world.

Also doesn't help that Pokemon is one of the few constantly aired anime left on networks like CN, who've pretty much purged anime in general due to lacking popularity. That pretty much says a lot when it comes to people's reaction to Pokemon. The toys still sell a bucketloads in both America and Japan too.
Digimon in japan however has an anime franichise that's willing to invest in Ganbaride machines, collectors level lines like D-arts Digimon figures, and is apparently giving Toei is money with Xross wars.
Yeah, but that's really only in Japan. Digimon is a pretty strong property, but the lowering of quality on the brand and the wanning popularity is pretty much a sign that it really isn't all that relevant.

While it's constantly debated whether Digimon came before Pokemon or not (which it did, technically), to most fans of the series in the States and even in Japan it's always viewed as a tighted Pokemon competitor. Back in the height of Pokemon popularity, people who didn't care for the silly designs of Pokemon may've rather had more of the edgy designs of Digimon, or they may've just loved both. Digimon at the time was just an alternative to Pokemon, serving as a rather heated competitor in the market with stuff like Medabots and Monster Rancher alongside it.

Now that Pokemania hype isn't there anymore, popularity of such brands simply wanned away with time. Quality of either stagnated or got worse compared to Pokemon which got stronger in quality of it's brand, with Pokemania surviving in nostalgia purposes with new fans being brought in with new games that keep a consistent Nintendo brand of quality to them.

Maybe it's just me, but Digimon really does seem irrelevant compared to Pokemon due to all this. I don't even really think Digimon is bad, but the newer stuff like Xros Wars and the previous Savers seem like the low point of the series yet.

Also on Digimon games, I think they're actually pretty good. Don't really see what people have a problem with the DS games in the very least.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
The Digimon anime is/was better (at least, Adventure and Adventure 02. I didn't see a lot of Tamers, but didn't like what I saw much, and I've seen no Frontier or Savers or this...Xros Wars thing). It has/had a coherent and continuous plot, generally speaking.

Then again, I haven't seen any Pokémon anime since AG due to British TV schedules being terrible.

Whatever, I still stand by the things I said.

P.S. I've never played a Digimon game, hence the lack of game...mentioning.

Also both TCGs suck. Yu-Gi-Oh! ftw.

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Digimon: Rumble Arena 1 & 2 for the PS2 were actually really fun. It was kinda of like Super Smash Bros. only with Digimon.