• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Alola! in Alola! Brock and Misty! (1045)

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Are we sure brockis using his steelix next episode, the sum says his sudowoodo is battling olivia to give her some handicap.

And if he does is he going to take off his shirt in front of a woman.

srebak

Beginning Trainer
Please someone respond to this

I’m not entirely sure about what to think of all of this

Misty and Lana getting along does seem nice and very appropriate all things considered, but (and this is probably just the Pokeshipper in me talking) I kind of wished that she and Ash got more scenes together

Also, the initial final ending scene still kind of bothers, because I genuinely thought that Ash and Misty were passed that point where she would call him things like a ‘kid’. This is pretty much just like how I felt about that Cerulean Gym battle episode; Misty and Brock still give Ash a hard time about those two gym badges and Misty still teased Ash for just feeling proud about his victory against her.

First of all, I still say that saying that Ash won those first two badges out of pity is incorrect when you think about it. And secondly I honestly just cannot stand the points where Ash gets teased, that was actually part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the Orange Islands saga and the Johto saga; that aspect of the character dynamic was starting to fade until it was almost gone. It all just struck me as being overly harsh on our main character, even in the rare episodes when I agree that he kind of asked for it.

I honestly thought that Ash had both Misty and Brock’s respect as both a trainer and a person by now

DatsRight

Please someone respond to this

I’m not entirely sure about what to think of all of this

Misty and Lana getting along does seem nice and very appropriate all things considered, but (and this is probably just the Pokeshipper in me talking) I kind of wished that she and Ash got more scenes together

Also, the initial final ending scene still kind of bothers, because I genuinely thought that Ash and Misty were passed that point where she would call him things like a ‘kid’. This is pretty much just like how I felt about that Cerulean Gym battle episode; Misty and Brock still give Ash a hard time about those two gym badges and Misty still teased Ash for just feeling proud about his victory against her.

First of all, I still say that saying that Ash won those first two badges out of pity is incorrect when you think about it. And secondly I honestly just cannot stand the points where Ash gets teased, that was actually part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the Orange Islands saga and the Johto saga; that aspect of the character dynamic was starting to fade until it was almost gone. It all just struck me as being overly harsh on our main character, even in the rare episodes when I agree that he kind of asked for it.

I honestly thought that Ash had both Misty and Brock’s respect as both a trainer and a person by now

But that's something that prevented the OS dynamic getting too placid, they did tease and argue with each other.

I guess the problem amounts more to the fact that Ash isn't nearly as arrogant in SM so Misty jumping at the chance to mock him comes off more petty than before. Also it seemed more in character for Misty in the OS since she was more hot headed and vindictive, while SM kinda downplays that flawed side of her. In fairness her ribbing in SM is WAY more tame and playful.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I feel like Misty being scared of Cutiefly and the Alola Butterfree was a bit of a continuity error, Misty has shown she isn't scared of cute bug pokemon. She had no problem with Ash's Butterfree when it evolved, Tracey's Venonat, Heracross, etc. I can't remember if she saw May's Beautifly or not (did she, someone remind me?), because she wouldn't be scared of it either.
She didn't see May's Beautifly when she was in Hoenn (and it was left there when May went to Kanto), but she saw one when Sakura came to visit Cerulean in Pokémon Chronicles

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Nice to see the TR mecha since it seems we never see them anymore.

DatsRight

Looking back, is anyone else disappointed we didn't get James' Mareanie vs Misty's Corsola? Surely this would have been the perfectly opportunity to show that trait.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was a fun, enjoyable, feel-good episode. I was hoping Misty would get more focus in this episode than Brock, since Brock gets to be the focus of the next episode, and I wasn't disappointed; the writers even wrote Brock out of the episode in a way that made perfect sense for his character (helping Nurse Joy at the Pokémon Center). I wish Misty had been more of a focal character, but her interactions with the SM cast were fun.

It was nice to see Mantine Surf in an actual episode, but I also appreciate the reference to the Eevee segments with the Mantine that Nagisa rode from the ship to Alola. The callback to Psyduck's inability to swim was humorous, along with Marowak being afraid of the water. And thank you, writers, for not resorting to slapstick comedy and having Ash wipe out while surfing!

It was nice to see everyone work together to defeat Team Rocket, but as much as I like seeing Z-Moves and Mega Evolution in action, that was complete overkill. They had pretty much already defeated Team Rocket.

I have to say, however, that the most heartwarming part of the episode was Brock setting up a tent and campfire and cooking a meal for Ash and Misty, just like old times. Kukui and Burnet watching them from the window just added to the moment.

My main complaint about this episode is Team Rocket's interference. It was just as cliché and predictable as ever. Sure, it was a true callback to the days of OS, but we have had to deal with twenty years of Team Rocket doing the same routine—building some kind of machine and kidnapping (or attempting to kidnap) Pokémon, only to blast off in the end. And they actually blasted off; Bewear didn't even save them. IMO, we don't need that kind of "nostalgia."

(On another note, I'm starting to wonder how the fruit seller makes any money if she keeps giving away her wares to Pokémon.)

DatsRight

It was nice to see everyone work together to defeat Team Rocket, but as much as I like seeing Z-Moves and Mega Evolution in action, that was complete overkill. They had pretty much already defeated Team Rocket.

That was the odd bit, it wasn't. TR actually seemed to be holding on after three Z Moves, not very well of course, but still, their machine usually would have exploded and blasted them off from far less than the twerps' full power by now.

My main complaint about this episode is Team Rocket's interference. It was just as cliché and predictable as ever. Sure, it was a true callback to the days of OS, but we have had to deal with twenty years of Team Rocket doing the same routine—building some kind of machine and kidnapping (or attempting to kidnap) Pokémon, only to blast off in the end. And they actually blasted off; Bewear didn't even save them. IMO, we don't need that kind of "nostalgia."

While I usually complain about this, it didn't seem intrusive in this episode because it was pretty much just a whole bunch of 'blackout gags' beforehand with not much connection. Fun but nothing lost from a bad guy butting in.

Usually Team Rocket butt when the twerps have some sort of consistent personal activity to do and their interruption prevents them having to complete it (which looks a lot like how Brock's episode will play out next), but here it didn't really cut into a story. On one hand that does make them less infuriating, on the other, I find it a shame they didn't find some sort of personal plot for Misty to do throughout her SM run, since she has a whole load of quirks to play on to drive an episode on her own.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That was the odd bit, it wasn't. TR actually seemed to be holding on after three Z Moves, not very well of course, but still, their machine usually would have exploded and blasted them off from far less than the twerps' full power by now.
That's what I mean. Their attacks had already managed to damage the mech. Z-Moves and a Mega Evolution-powered Hydro Pump weren't really necessary. It was complete overkill; it sort of felt like the writers just wanted to end the battle in a spectacular manner.

While I usually complain about this, it didn't seem intrusive in this episode because it was pretty much just a whole bunch of 'blackout gags' beforehand with not much connection. Fun but nothing lost from a bad guy butting in.

Usually Team Rocket butt when the twerps have some sort of consistent personal activity to do and their interruption prevents them having to complete it (which looks a lot like how Brock's episode will play out next), but here it didn't really cut into a story. On one hand that does make them less infuriating, on the other, I find it a shame they didn't find some sort of personal plot for Misty to do throughout her SM run, since she has a whole load of quirks to play on to drive an episode on her own.
If Team Rocket had to interfere, then it could have been a more interesting interference. It's true that it's been awhile since we have seen a Team Rocket mech, but on the other hand, we had twenty years of those mechs. IMO, there was nothing nostalgic about it. It just felt like another predictable, cliché Team Rocket scheme, with a predictable end result.

DatsRight

If Team Rocket had to interfere, then it could have been a more interesting interference. It's true that it's been awhile since we have seen a Team Rocket mech, but on the other hand, we had twenty years of those mechs. IMO, there was nothing nostalgic about it. It just felt like another predictable, cliché Team Rocket scheme, with a predictable end result.

SM hasn't really had an even handed TR faceoff yet, in fact nearly every SM bad guy face off has been systematically plotted so it's one sided in the twerps favour, even the main arc ones, which is admittedly kinda dull after a while (even AG and DP had odd times the twerps won without plot armour but TR got in a few hits or forced them to use actual brain cells first, you know, almost like a proper fight). It's kind of annoying since they bothered to give arc focus to TR actually planning things out this time round, even getting a Z Ring so they can keep up, but it doesn't amount to anything since they're still used as jobbers for even the weakest of the twerps. Couldn't they have used Team Skull for that role and made TR a more progressive threat?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
SM hasn't really had an even handed TR faceoff yet, in fact nearly every SM bad guy face off has been systematically plotted so it's one sided on the twerps part, even the main arc ones, which is admittedly kinda dull after a while (even AG and DP had odd times the twerps won without plot armour but TR got in a few hits or forced a few counters from them first). It's kind of annoying since they bothered to give arc focus to TR actually planning things out this time round, actually trying to gain legit boosts and upgrades so they can keep up, but it doesn't amount to anything since they're still used as jobbers for even the weakest of the twerps. Couldn't they have used Team Skull for that role and made TR a more progressive threat?
And the face-off in SM102 was even-handed? The moment Pikachu's Iron Tail created a hug dent in Team Rocket's mech, the battle was pretty much already decided. As you said, the boosts and upgrades didn't amount to anything, but that is nothing new; that sort of set-up has been going on for the past twenty years. Even if there are a rare moments where Team Rocket has the upper hand, those moments are far outnumbered by the number of times they were easily defeated.

That aside, I think you are missing my point. This isn't about whether or not the Team Rocket face-offs are even-handed. This is about how interesting those face-offs are. As much as I hate Team Rocket, I can tolerate their existence in the SM series because they don't interrupt every single episode with the same predictable, cliché scheme. It's not their interference itself that bothered me as much as it was the lack of creativity in their interference.

DatsRight

Well that can go two ways, since to make TR face-offs more interesting they either need to make them more of a challenge, akin to BW, or make them pitiful but in a way that is more creative and humorous and still gives the twerps something entertaining to do, akin to the early OS.

The previous handful of episodes did lean a little way into the latter more (eg. Jessie and Mimikyu using a prolonged Z Move as a net, or TR butting into the twerps' play and becoming co stars), but besides that we've had TR doing the same handful of generic methods over and over in SM, and the twerps, who are oddly comical in nearly every other scene in the series, completely stonewalling their humour and refusing to have a chemistry with them. In that sense they feel like a detriment to the show, especially with SM's otherwise less formulaic approach, and like when they appear the fun's over (though only against the twerps oddly, by themselves or against anyone else they're usually hilarious).

It's especially sad remembering that Misty actually usually had the funniest rivalry with TR in the OS, snarking and being wily to their tricks while still capable of getting her pride wounded by them, while here she's just in stock hero mode like everyone else.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The anime would at least solve one of its problems if they write off Team Rocket permanently like they are doing with the companions. Their appearance here was easily one of the episodes negative points for me.

DatsRight

It would help a great deal if they just gave them something of an actual chemistry with the protagonists or just some sort of relevant role to their story besides a plot device or a jobber. Compare to the OS where the twerps being jaded or bewildered by these three loonies butting into their own adventure with increasingly strange plans was actually half the fun, nowadays they're completely counter productive to the twerps having any personality or role whatsoever besides 'stock hero'.

It's not like TR haven't tried in this series either, they're even wackier than ever (and so are the protagonists), they have two personal rivalries, they have Z Moves which has physical and personal prominence in Alola, they share the same profession as one of the protagonists, the list goes on, and yet, the twerps still never play off of them. In a series that thrives on the protagonists having funny interactions with everyone, TR remain just another bad guy.

Kintaro

Banned
While I liked the scenes of Misty interacting with the Alola girls, I do think most of this ep was kinda meh. Too much Team Rocket, Brock was ditched for the majority of the episode, and well...not much happened otherwise. Ash and Misty don't even have any real interaction till the very last campfire scene.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Lana keeping in contact with Misty is very sweet, and the bits of focus on Sandy throughout the episode were very welcome. I love that it got to reunite with its Mantine friend (plus Lana meeting its Mantine friend)! Everyone battling in the end was amazing. Loved seeing Tsareena, Togedemaru, and Vulpix getting in on the action. If we had these types of fights more often, I think the series, in general, would improve. It's amazing seeing a collective effort instead of just Ash or Kiawe battling.

Also, Jessie's line about Mega Evolution in Alola legitimately made me chuckle.

D

Deleted member 384931

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Lana keeping in contact with Misty is very sweet, and the bits of focus on Sandy throughout the episode were very welcome. I love that it got to reunite with its Mantine friend (plus Lana meeting its Mantine friend)! Everyone battling in the end was amazing. Loved seeing Tsareena, Togedemaru, and Vulpix getting in on the action. If we had these types of fights more often, I think the series, in general, would improve. It's amazing seeing a collective effort instead of just Ash or Kiawe battling.

Also, Jessie's line about Mega Evolution in Alola legitimately made me chuckle.
But they recognize it, so that isnt bad.

Vipsoccermaster

Enjoyed the episode. Loved all the Misty and Lana interactions, even with Lana staying in touch with Misty. They both love Water Pokémon. Sandy spending time with its Mantine friend is cool, too. Sandy being mad at Team Rocket for kidnapping its Mantine friend. It's a bit of a shame that Ash and Misty didn't interact much, and Brock being shoved away for the majority of the episode, but yeah. I still enjoyed what the episode had to offer here.