• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Alola! in Kanto! Brock & Misty! (985)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
So the only non Kanto cameos we got were Totodile and Corphish..

That's disappointing. But that's probably my fault for expecting too much.

Game Freak/Nintendo seem way too nostalgic for Kanto. Are they falling for the Genwunners' "demands"?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Sweet mother of Mew, there was a lot going on in this episode! :eek: Honestly, it felt cramped—the writers tried to cram too much into 20 minutes, when they could have used two episodes for this—but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. The highlight for me was seeing Misty and Brock again, especially Misty. I wasn't expecting to see many of Ash's older Pokémon, but I thought we would at least see Charizard, given its iconic status. (The writers missed a golden opportunity for Kiawe's Charizard to meet Ash's Charizard. :( )

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't really mind that Misty and Brock weren't the center of focus for the entire episode. Instead, they were integrated into the group, while the Alola gang each had his/her own spotlight moment interacting with Kanto Pokémon. I loved the scene of Kiawe riding on Rapidash's back (he looked like he had died and gone to heaven! :p ). Shiron interacting with Kanto Ninetails was adorable, but not as adorable as Popplio and Dewgong playing with Popplio's bubble. I would liked to have seen a bit more of Ash interacting with Misty and Brock alone; but given how much else was crammed into this episode, I'm not really all that surprised that the Ash/Misty/Brock scenes were so brief. At least I got the Misty/Lana interaction moment I wanted, even if it was brief.

Team Rocket reciting their old motto was a nice surprise, but otherwise, their appearance was just a rehash of their standard routine. The best part of that entire scene was Bewear swooping down from a plane, scooping up its TRio toys, and then taking off with the rocket launcher from the remains of the Meowth mech. (I loved Misty's reaction: "What is this feeling?")

And then there was that blasted Jigglypuff. I wasn't too fond of that gag 20 years old, and I'm still not too fond of it. However, I did like that, while Lana, Lillie, and Mallow were gushing over how cute it is, Ash, Misty, and Brock immediately recognized that Jigglypuff and panicked.

I got a chuckle out of how Ash was the only one not initially excited to be going to Kanto. Kid, you're not interested in going back home? :p I suppose an extracurricular class in his home region wouldn't be that exciting, since he has already explored Kanto twice.

Sulfurian

So question, did Lycanroc use tackle ordered by ash and it turned into accelroc? Just curious what happened there.

DatsRight

One can hope the Kanto trio will get more interaction next episode, and they used this one largely to get some good interactions out of the Alola group.

I can't begrudge some of the moments from Marowak and Togedemaru at least. I also liked the light role reversal here and there with the Alolan students being the fish out of water and carelessly fawning over the Kanto Pokemon.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
So question, did Lycanroc use tackle ordered by ash and it turned into accelroc? Just curious what happened there.

No, Ash actually ordered Lycanroc to use Accelerock. Which begs the question of when Lycanroc learned Accelerock (I assume it did when it evolved) and why a bigger deal wasn't made out of a Pokémon learning a new move.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
*sigh*

This is why I wanted Ash to be alone in Kanto, without the classmates. Too many characters, too many Pokemon, too many random events all at once.

Kinda disappointed. At least the next episode looks like an improvement.

I really enjoyed the episode but I can't help but feel if a longer, Kanto-esque arc would have been better, with splitting some of these events into separate episodes.

uber gon

Accept Change
And Misty just added fuel to Rule 34 for her.:)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I really enjoyed the episode but I can't help but feel if a longer, Kanto-esque arc would have been better, with splitting some of these events into separate episodes.
I agree. As I said in my earlier post, I think the writers crammed too much into one episode, and really could have done better with making this two episodes rather than one. A three-episode arc would probably feel better paced, and allow more time to give older fans more nostalgia boners show off more of Ash's older Pokémon, for instance, or more of Professor Oak's lab, or even more of Cerulean City.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I agree. As I said in my earlier post, I think the writers crammed too much into one episode, and really could have done better with making this two episodes rather than one. A three-episode arc would probably feel better paced, and allow more time to give older fans more nostalgia boners show off more of Ash's older Pokémon, for instance, or more of Professor Oak's lab, or even more of Cerulean City.

Three episodes? I think around eight episodes would have been better. Could have had a few team changes via Kanto captures too so that the class take away more from it than 'just the experience' (sans Ash, who seems to only get current gen mons).

Doesn't help that there is a break on the 28th so we know nothing about whether we'll stay in Kanto other than 'Misty and Brock, 14th and 21st!'

nel3

Crimson Dragon
why were Master Asia and Domon Kashu missing in this episode??? thats the biggest mystery in this ep. LOL it seems like Misty joined a death metal band and Brock finally joined an all girls super singing group after jigglypuff put them to sleep.

who else here saw the G Gunad reference in ep 42?

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
How can we spend an entire episode at Oak's Ranch and still only see like 3 of Ash's old Pokemon, at least show al his Kanto mons, jeeze

We got to see the entire Squirtle squad, Totodile and Corphish. Maybe Pidgeot too. What are you taking about? Ash only interacted with Tauros, Muk and Bulbasaur, that's it.

Rajas

I enjoyed the episode but like most there was just too much as times and the scenes with Pokemon being mentioned were moving by quickly. They showed Totodile and Corphish which begs the question, why just not add the rest in little scenes without Ash? It was apparent that he didn't need to see them so might as well have. My BIGGEST issue with this episode was Kiawe riding the Rapidash. didn't you have to form a bond with a Rapidash as to not get burned? Is this is hint at Kiawe's power over Fire types or they just didn't care to delve into it?

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
No, Ash actually ordered Lycanroc to use Accelerock. Which begs the question of when Lycanroc learned Accelerock (I assume it did when it evolved) and why a bigger deal wasn't made out of a Pokémon learning a new move.
If anything it was probs learned off-screen.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I thought Charizard was at that Charizard valley with Lisa in Johto, not at Oak's, or am I missing something?

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Yeah, so there was a lot of silliness this episode. I was wondering if Brock & Misty would get in on the SM crew's slapstick, and they totally did.

The scene with Snowy and Kanto Ninetales, even if it was short, was so incredibly adorable.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I thought Charizard was at that Charizard valley with Lisa in Johto, not at Oak's, or am I missing something?

Think Charizard went back to Oak's after joining ash's team in Unova. He was in that group picture at the end with all ash's Oak pokemon