• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Alola! in Kanto! Brock & Misty! (985)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
And of course Noctowl seemed to be forgotten all about even though IT'S A FREAKING SHINY! Poor thing seems to have been forgotten by everyone in the show including Oak. How can you forget about it? It's a Shiny!

Kingler got more ripped off.
We haven't seen him battle since the Whirl Cup. An appearance here would have been great, but no... he, Charizard, and Snorlax are missing for some reason even though Squirtle and possibly Pidgeot appeared when nobody was expecting them to.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Can anyone tell me what Delia said to Kiawe? Something embarrassing given Ash's reaction is what I'm assuming. I'm really going to have to teach myself enough Japanese to understand this one day. Random words and visual cues just aren't cutting it anymore.
I don't remember the exact dialogue but I know she mentioned something about his room.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I don't remember the exact dialogue but I know she mentioned something about his room.

If I understood correctly, she mentioned something about seeing Ash's room, but I didn't understand the sentence after that.

Rohanator

One thing I realised, not that it's a big deal is that for the sake of a gag, Pikachu actually shouldn't have been able to shock everyone since Togedemaru should have absorbed the electricity due to Lightningrod.
Oh wow, good catch. I guess there's hope for Kiawe's Marowak having Lightninrod as well after all xD

This complaint is not a new thing.
It sure is old tho

A minor character like Korrina got 5 episodes
Because she had a Lucario, and they wanted to write an arc of some sort around a character struggling with Mega Evolution, and I guess just saw it fit to be the character who's most tied to it in the games. It's not that they just picked a random side character and were like ay let's give this one an arc for no reason.

Now, you can say that it would've been better if they did the whole Mega Evolution struggle story with Ash, but they probably wanted to do it early while Megas were still being established, which would result in Ash having a Mega tier Pokemon on his team for most of the region, which would be even harder to balance than Pikachu (or they'd have to release it, like Goodra). It is much more interesting to have Ash DEFEAT a Mega without one of his own at that stage, and the Korrina arc also served to set her up as a more personal obstacle for Ash to overcome (kinda like a rival, no one complains when those get focus). We've seen him lose to her, we've seen her struggle afterwards and become even STRONGER, can Ash defeat her? At that point we didn't know, could've very well been a tie badge like VS Maylene, or even a pity one for good effort, for putting up a good fight against a Mega and for helping Korrina achieve that power in her arc. It was exciting.

I won't make excuses for things people wanna criticize (Clemont and Serena lacking focus at that point was true, but they did get better so in hindsight I don't think Korrina ruined them or anything), I'm not saying the arc is some master piece that you have to like, but there're more thoughts put into building these shows than you think and more limitations to consider, I see people completely brush the Korrina arc off simply due to it not being about main character way too often, it doesn't even make sense considering the show mainly revolves around meeting new people weekly, if we didn't focus on Korrina for multiple weeks we would've just gotten that many more COTD's.

sorry for an off topic wall of text, if anyone feels particularly strongly about this feel free to pm lol

Last edited:

Rajas

Because she had a Lucario, and they wanted to write an arc of some sort around a character struggling with Mega Evolution, and I guess just saw it fit to be the character who's most tied to it in the games. It's not that they just picked a random side character and were like ay let's give this one an arc for no reason.

Now, you can say that it would've been better if they did the whole Mega Evolution struggle story with Ash, but they probably wanted to do it early while Megas were still being established, which would result in Ash having a Mega tier Pokemon on his team for most of the region, which would be even harder to balance than Pikachu (or they'd have to release it, like Goodra). It is much more interesting to have Ash DEFEAT a Mega without one of his own at that stage, and the Korrina arc also served to set her up as a more personal obstacle for Ash to overcome (kinda like a rival, no one complains when those get focus). We've seen him lose to her, we've seen her struggle afterwards and become even STRONGER, can Ash defeat her? At that point we didn't know, could've very well been a tie badge like VS Maylene, or even a pity one for good effort, for putting up a good fight against a Mega and for helping Korrina achieve that power in her arc. It was exciting.

I won't make excuses for things people wanna criticize (Clemont and Serena lacking focus at that point was true, but they did get better so in hindsight I don't think Korrina ruined them or anything), I'm not saying the arc is some master piece that you have to like, but there're more thoughts put into building these shows than you think and more limitations to consider, I see people completely brush the Korrina arc off simply due to it not being about main character way too often, it doesn't even make sense considering the show mainly revolves around meeting new people weekly, if we didn't focus on Korrina for multiple weeks we would've just gotten that many more COTD's.

sorry for an off topic wall of text, if anyone feels particularly strongly about this feel free to pm lol

Not sure if I am in the minority but I enjoyed that mini arc especially seeing the dark side of a mega evolution gone wrong. In fact I really cannot say I disliked any part of XY/XYZ as even fillers were done well. I think it could be that I found this series to be one of if not the most compelling in any Pokemon series for me. Side note, your art is pretty cool!

Xuxuba

Not sure if I am in the minority but I enjoyed that mini arc especially seeing the dark side of a mega evolution gone wrong. In fact I really cannot say I disliked any part of XY/XYZ as even fillers were done well. I think it could be that I found this series to be one of if not the most compelling in any Pokemon series for me. Side note, your art is pretty cool!

You are not a minority, lots of other fans enjoyed aswell, including me, but certain ppl here like to paint that arc as universally hated, dunno why.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
You are not a minority, lots of other fans enjoyed aswell, including me, but certain ppl here like to paint that arc as universally hated, dunno why.

I personally liked that arc as well, though I do think it should've been swapped with the summer camp arc. The one problem I do agree with is that the Korrina arc came at the expense of Serena focus at that time, so I feel episodes 30 - 35 which was the Korrina arc should've been swapped with the Summer Camp arc, with Serena finding her goal by episode 32 or something. And episodes 39 to 43 should've been the Korrina arc, and after that, could've led directly to Ash's Shalour Gym battle.

That's the only thing I would've done differently, but the arc itself was pretty good, personally speaking

DatsRight

I don't think XY's shortcomings were down to lack of time, so I don't think Korrina's arc was anymore of a hinderance than the multiple COTD/TR episodes that came before or after it. If anything I liked XY tried to flesh out some of Ash's opponents such as the gym leaders and league rivals rather sympathetically. I like those types of face-offs where both sides are fallible and likeable enough you can choose to root for either of them.

Here such establishment has already been done. Yeah it would have been nice to get more of a refresh and show the two getting their Mega Evolutions, but unlike Korrina, this isn't their regional series and their one opportunity to shine and get fans invested in their gen games.

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

One thing I realised, not that it's a big deal is that for the sake of a gag, Pikachu actually shouldn't have been able to shock everyone since Togedemaru should have absorbed the electricity due to Lightningrod.

Actually I think one easily reasonable explanation as to why Pikachu was able to shock Togedemaru here even though the latter had the lightning rod ability was because Togedemaru's spikes were down and if you notice every time that Togedemaru used it's lighting rod ability it's spikes were up, so it could easily be a case where Togedemaru wasn't expecting Pikachu to shock everyone like that so it didn't have enough time to poke up it's spikes to activate it's ability so that's why it got shocked.

Rajas

I see a lot of complaints about XYZ in general at times and sometimes I find it hard to relate to some of it. Could be due to the fact I was waiting for something a bit more darker for a while as well and it came finally for me.

Rajas

I personally liked that arc as well, though I do think it should've been swapped with the summer camp arc. The one problem I do agree with is that the Korrina arc came at the expense of Serena focus at that time, so I feel episodes 30 - 35 which was the Korrina arc should've been swapped with the Summer Camp arc, with Serena finding her goal by episode 32 or something. And episodes 39 to 43 should've been the Korrina arc, and after that, could've led directly to Ash's Shalour Gym battle.

That's the only thing I would've done differently, but the arc itself was pretty good, personally speaking

I agree with the Serena issue as well but imo by the end, her development was solid. I actually kind of liked the fact that from a casual view, it looked like she struggled to find her purpose or goal which played into her mom's words about her being someone who gives up easily and hence why she tried to force her on a path. Pretty relatable imo.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode reinforced my theory that the writers just aren't capable of properly showing Satoshi bonding with the majority of his old Pokemon. There are simply too many, and just like in the final episode of Best Wishes, the ones who got the most attention were Fushigidane and Kentauros. That, and the episode was cramped with too much material to begin with. Not that all things in this episode were bad, however. I liked seeing the antics at the laboratory, including Suiren and Kasumi swimming, Mao's encounter with Rafressia, and Lilie's Rokon meeting a Kyuukon. Even Purin's return was enjoyable.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Uh guys, I don't think that XY arc has anything to do with these episodes...

Something that did make me wonder is if Rotom stayed within the lab, or traveled around. IIRC after Kiawe's run in with Rapidash, I don't think we saw it with the kids.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
And this is what happens when you attempt to cramp so much nostalgia and interaction between handful of Character and Pokemon into one episode; You get a bunch of mediocrity. Why this whole arc is jam-packed into 2 episodes is beyond me. I would have made the arc at least 4 episodes. I'm also not a fan of Ash's classmate coming to Kanto as well, but I guess I'm being too picky now.

Janovy

Banned
And this is what happens when you attempt to cramp so much nostalgia and interaction between handful of Character and Pokemon into one episode; You get a bunch of mediocrity. Why this whole arc is jam-packed into 2 episodes is beyond me. I would have made the arc at least 4 episodes. I'm also not a fan of Ash's classmate coming to Kanto as well, but I guess I'm being too picky now.
Agreed.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but then again, they could have changed the reasoning. Why not just make it so Ash was going on a small trip to Kanto? Having to deliver something for someone and staying home during the weekend? Oh well.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Bewear has officially transcended the Pokemon canon and has now joined James Bond (I immediately thought of the 2012 olympic Bond parachutist when I saw this).

Very disappointed not to see or hear any acknowledgement of any of Ash's/Misty's/Brock's (CROAGUNK PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!) pokemon besides Squirtle (totally random), Muk, Bulbasaur, Tauros, and a few cameos of Corphish and Totodile.

Also, WHAT the heck was Rotom talking about when it said it saw every Kanto mon (besides 1)? I guess the legendary birds, Mew, Mewtwo, Lord Helix and the other fossils, and basically every other Gen 1 Pokemon not seen besides Porygon (totally in agreement with that theory) don't count.

Abzu

Honestly I liked this episode, still I felt there was still too little shown of all of Ash Pokemons... tough since there are so many I guess seeing all of them will not be possible.

Even then I liked this chapter and see Ash new friends interacting with his old friends... in all it was what I expected.

That Bewear is trully overpowered XD

Janovy

Banned
The Bewear scene did make me laugh, to be honest.

The writers always find a way to make its entrance more ridiculous each time and I love it.

Rajas

Not taking away anything from the episode because I loved it in general but I feel like my main issue was the lack of Ash's Pokemon. They went to learn about Pokemon anyways so they might have just let Ash show off all his Pokemon from multiple regions. Would have been a better lesson.

jinnrob

Water Pokemon Master
Anyone else notice a squirtle squad squirtle swimming with Misty and Lana right before Ash's totodile and corphish showed up?