• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Alola! in Kanto! Brock & Misty! (985)

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
Yeah, I suppose whatever the dub does is harder to knock when the Japanese edit was surprisingly sparse on nostalgic tunes anyway.

There were about two noteworthy, the TR classic theme remix (which was in XY anyway) and the original Japanese title theme during the montage (which doesn't really have the same relevance in the English version anyway). What occurred with those two in the dub?
The first one was kept. With the title card, the only tracks that were kept. Your usual crappy TPCi episode.

Mezase Pokémon Master was replaced by the usual dub stock music with no personality. Nothing remarkable about that scene. They should have used the instrumental of the Pokémon theme from Movie 20 but I guess that's too logical for TPCi.

A small arrangement of said theme was used during the Ash/Misty/Brock flashbacks. Nothing outstanding, but it was a nice touch.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Funny episode, but it really seems like everyone is hyper or something. I also don't care for Michelle Knotz' Misty voice, but at least it isn't obnoxious like her awful Jessie voice.
She sounds fine as Jigglypuff though.

DatsRight

The first one was kept. With the title card, the only tracks that were kept. Your usual crappy TPCi episode.

Mezase Pokémon Master was replaced by the usual dub stock music with no personality. Nothing remarkable about that scene. They should have used the instrumental of the Pokémon theme from Movie 20 but I guess that's too logical for TPCi.

A small arrangement of said theme was used during the Ash/Misty/Brock flashbacks. Nothing outstanding, but it was a nice touch.

Huh, they usually only use the current TR theme, that's a plus I suppose.

Odd, so they used the classic dub theme, but not for the mirroring scene (which being mostly silent, you'd think they'd want to shove an image song in). You'd think TPCI would WANT to show that off in the longer scene since they actually composed that rendition.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
NOT MY MISTY
I just couldn't enjoy her dub voice.

That said it was an enjoyable dub episode, if a little hectic and unfocused.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I will admit that I liked the music that was used in the scene where Kiawe raced against Rapidash, but the rest of the music was more or less hit or miss (aside from Jigglypuff's song, which still bugs me that it was changed).

In all honesty, most of the music in the original version was stock anime scores & fanfare for the Sun & Moon series aside from a few scenes, so while it may not have fit the tone of the scenes better, it's understandable why TCPI changed most of the music for the dub. It only really bothers me when they replace scores based on the games or classic songs from the previous series. I do think that this would've been the perfect time to replace Mezase Pokémon Master with the instrumental version of "Gotta Catch'em All" from the I Choose You movie, but the music they did use was ok

Last edited:

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
NOT MY MISTY

It always bothered me how Misty sounded so much May after they all changed VA's. I realize they share a VA but it's like she doesn't even try to make Misty sound different or give Misty her own unique voice.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Wow, what's with Ash's lack of excitement over going on the Kanto field trip?

"It's the original twerp, twerp, and twerpette trio!" Jessie says, providing another actually funny TPCi TR line. But I could've done without Misty saying "ready, steady," as that was one annoying JP catchphrase I was living happily without.

I never thought the dub was bad at any point in its history other than "The Legend of Thunder", but I must say Lisa Ortiz is the best person to have gained the position of voice director. As a result, Bill Rogers (who was average as Brock in DP) was excellent here. Even though he likely wasn't trying to, he sure captured Eric Stuart's spirit in his performance. Michele Knotz did her own good thing as Misty (this being only the third time she voiced Misty). As we all know, Tom Wayland wasn't fit for the job of VD. It's amazing to see how much things have gotten better since Lisa Ortiz became the VD.

Oh man is the dub music of this one great. I'm happy the M20 credits piano solo version of the first dub OP wasn't used in the flashback. Instead it's a new arrangement mainly on a flute. And in general, there was a lot of flutework in this episode. Ed Goldfarb did confirm in that M20 Q&A he did on Twitter that he uses a mixture of live instruments and digital ones. I wonder if the flute was a real one. Even Jigglypuff got a new theme on a harp.

Yeah, this episode felt like the field trip it was, unconnected vignettes and all.

In all honesty, most of the music in the original version was stock anime scores & fanfare for the Sun & Moon series aside from a few scenes, so while it may have fit the tone of the scenes better, it's understandable why [TPCi] changed most of the music for the dub. It only really bothers me when they replace scores based on the games or classic songs from the previous series. I do think that this would've been the perfect time to replace Mezase Pokémon Master with the instrumental version of "Gotta Catch'em All" from the I Choose You movie, but the music they did use was ok

I understand your concern. But personally, those are the tracks I'm happiest to see gone, as Has-Been really has no talent for remixing, whether it be the game music or even his own past works. He's best at making new stuff.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
NOT MY MISTY

I expected they would use Michele Knotz instead of Rachael Lillis. Because Knotz did voice Misty in her most recent appearance before this, which was Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, that one-off special that was used as a TPCi voice testing ground, and had Kayzie Rogers doing a crappy voice of Ash.

Ryu Taylor

Knotz did voice Misty in her most recent appearance before this, which was Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon

Actually, this episode is her third time voicing Misty. She had a Misty part in BW, albeit easy to miss.

Ryu Taylor

It's just Kanto to him, he lives there so it's nothing big lmao.

True, but some enthusiasm would've been nice. After all, he's got lots of Alolan friends to show his homeland to. That opportunity would be reason enough for enthusiasm, I think.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
True, but some enthusiasm would've been nice. After all, he's got lots of Alolan friends to show his homeland to. That opportunity would be reason enough for enthusiasm, I think.
Well he did get enthusiastic once he realized he had said opportunity, it just wasn't something he thought of initially.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
#NotmyMisty
Her new dub voice is absolutely awful. Glad they didn't mess with Brock's, he's always had a perfect one.

"Lots of my Pokemon live here!" Yeah, way to rub salt into the wound that we don't even see 1/4 of Ash's Pokemon. Just the Kanto ones, and not even all of them. Charizard, Kingler, and Snorlax got ripped off. Lillie, Lana, and Sophocles should have just stayed in Alola. I'd take an episode involving all of Ash's lab Pokemon over any one of the classmates.

Marowak is definitely the best of the classmate Pokemon, he's funny and not in the annoying "Hey look, aren't I cute?" kind of funny like certain Alola starters.
And calling it now Popplio is the one that gets itself lost in the Alola League. It seems tradition now.
Also, why the hell is Misty afraid of Gyarados? She got over it.

It's just annoying how we don't get to see Brock's signature Pokemon, Croagunk and his gag is only done once. We've never gotten to see the ear gag AND the Croagunk gag happen at the same time! And how Jigglypuff came back with no explanation, same with Squirtle seemingly residing at the lab now... but didn't get to see Ash. How the heck did Jigglypuff even get back to Kanto from Hoenn, and what happened to Whismur?
This episode needed more Brock.
7.5/10

Team Rocket, Kiawe, and Brock were the best parts like usual in episodes.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
#NotmyMisty
Her new dub voice is absolutely awful. Glad they didn't mess with Brock's, he's always had a perfect one.

"Lots of my Pokemon live here!" Yeah, way to rub salt into the wound that we don't even see 1/4 of Ash's Pokemon. Just the Kanto ones, and not even all of them. Charizard, Kingler, and Snorlax got ripped off. Lillie, Lana, and Sophocles should have just stayed in Alola. I'd take an episode involving all of Ash's lab Pokemon over any one of the classmates.

Marowak is definitely the best of the classmate Pokemon, he's funny and not in the annoying "Hey look, aren't I cute?" kind of funny like certain Alola starters.
And calling it now Popplio is the one that gets itself lost in the Alola League. It seems tradition now.
Also, why the hell is Misty afraid of Gyarados? She got over it.

It's just annoying how we don't get to see Brock's signature Pokemon, Croagunk and his gag is only done once. We've never gotten to see the ear gag AND the Croagunk gag happen at the same time! And how Jigglypuff came back with no explanation, same with Squirtle seemingly residing at the lab now... but didn't get to see Ash. How the heck did Jigglypuff even get back to Kanto from Hoenn, and what happened to Whismur?
This episode needed more Brock.
7.5/10

Team Rocket, Kiawe, and Brock were the best parts like usual in episodes.

A jump scare is still a jump scare. Just because she's not afraid of her Gyarados doesn't mean she can't be afraid of random wild ones that are certainly more dangerous.

Also, I can't wait until Marowak gets lost at the League since there's a 0% chance Rowlet would get lost since it's always sleeping. Best classmate Pokemon is either Shiron or Charjabug anyway.

Animefan145

It is really nostalgic to hear Brock, his voice actor was fine for most of DP and I'm used to it. The Misty voice... eh, its ok. We had hundreds of episodes to get used to Brock after the change (not to mention Ash), but this is Misty's first episode in over a decade. Its too bad they didn't bring back the original dub voice actress for this, but at least the new official Misty dub actress finally got a chance to voice her (not counting that Mirage thing, and that was so long ago too).

The dub does ok with this, not like the original episode itself was that that great, mainly leaning on nostalgia. Looking forward to the big battles next time more.

teddybeardan

The acting is generally pretty awful all around, as is the writing and the music (only 2 pieces kept, one of which is of course the title card), to me. As for getting used to stuff only because it's been around for a while, that doesn't really excuse the way things are or improves anything to me, but if you like the dub, more power to you- I found this not to be up to par on all 3 fronts, not just Misty's voice (which I do think is unfitting, don't get me wrong, but hardly the only one I find to be a poor choice) but that's my two cents.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
My problem with Misty's voice being by Michelle Knotz is that it doesn't sound enough like Misty did and sound too similar to May's voice. I couldn't help but think of May every time Misty spoke. I don't understand why they didn't get the original voice of Misty back since she's worked for this dub company in the past.

At least try and sound like the original voice, nothing against the voice actress but she's not able to do different voices from what it seems, she does one voice and that's May's, every character she plays sounds like May. I don't mind the actors doing multiple characters, especially minor characters, in fact, I think its quite nice when a main character's voice is used by a minor character, I can't help but feel nostalgic towards it, like how Dawn's voice keeps popping up for the TV announcer in SM, that's a nice touch to it, because it gives me a nostalgic feel, its when they get an actor who isn't able to change their voice to make it different for different characters that annoys me. Like Emily Jenness voices Dawn and the TV announcer, but we've heard her voice other characters and change the sound of her voice, she voice's Cynthia and TR's assistant which all sound different. However, Michelle Knotz wasn't able to do that with Misty, and that's what's a little bit disappointing.

Heck even the Jigglypuff voice which is different at least makes an effort to sound like the original Jigglypuff.

Really disappointed with the dub company not getting Misty's original voice back......in fact in the last year or so the dub company has really started to disappoint me, not using old music or changing the music from the original, and their choice of voice actors, its starting to annoy me now. The dub music in particular sounds the same quite often, it all has the same feel to it. I'm starting to get to that point where I'm not interested in watching the dub anymore and just feel like sticking to the sub instead. Which is a shame because I've grown up with the dub and never really minded the dub in DP or BW even though they changed from what was pretty much my childhood.

The episode itself was quite good though aside from the fact. Good to hear old Brock again! I really miss him.

xEryChan

Demon Child
My nephew was over yesterday and we ended watching this episode and while I did enjoy it, I do have some complaints about.

I did not like Misty’s voice whatsoever. I could tell Michelle Knotz tried to make her voice different from the other characters she voices but still, she sounded too much like May did and I did not care for it. I’m glad they kept Brock’s voice though. I’ve missed him.

I hate how the dub changes a lot of the music from the Japanese version. I wasn’t really expecting them to keep Mezase Pokemon Master but there many other Japanese tracks I wished rhey would kept. Given how they’ve been changing the music for years, I should be used to it but that is still one of my biggest pet peeves regarding the English dub.

That being said, I did enjoy this episode. I’m also looking forward to watching the next episode as well.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Um SQUIRTLE APPEARED

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
With this episode, thousands (or maybe hundreds depending on how many sock puppet accounts exist) of fans who declared Alola non-canon retracted their arguments or they were rendered null and void.