• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Alola! in Kanto! Brock & Misty! (985)

DatsRight

After seeing finally seeing the dub, I admit Knotz doesn't sound like Lillis' Misty that much (I remember her doing a more accurate job in the TV special, though that was nearly a decade ago). Given it was the same special they replaced Ash's voice for, would it have hurt to have got Lillis?

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
After seeing finally seeing the dub, I admit Knotz doesn't sound like Lillis' Misty that much (I remember her doing a more accurate job in the TV special, though that was nearly a decade ago). Given it was the same special they replaced Ash's voice for, would it have hurt to have got Lillis?

That's what really frustrates me, She's worked for this company before voicing Mayleene. So was it really that hard to bring her back. I'm quickly going off the dub company, it just feels like they don't care for the fanbase when it comes to music and dub, they don't care for the older fanbase, which yes is fair enough, we aren't the target audience anymore, but this is a celebratory year, they could have at least made the effort to bring back a bit of nostalgia for dub fans by bringing back the only character who's voice hasn't been around enough to have needed a new voice actor. I accept Ash and everyone else, they've been doing their voices longer than the originals now, but not Misty. I'd love to see a petition or something where Lillis records her own version of the lines and fans edit it over this version. It'd be great to hear Lillis as Misty once more.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
That's what really frustrates me, She's worked for this company before voicing Mayleene. So was it really that hard to bring her back. I'm quickly going off the dub company, it just feels like they don't care for the fanbase when it comes to music and dub, they don't care for the older fanbase, which yes is fair enough, we aren't the target audience anymore, but this is a celebratory year, they could have at least made the effort to bring back a bit of nostalgia for dub fans by bringing back the only character who's voice hasn't been around enough to have needed a new voice actor. I accept Ash and everyone else, they've been doing their voices longer than the originals now, but not Misty. I'd love to see a petition or something where Lillis records her own version of the lines and fans edit it over this version. It'd be great to hear Lillis as Misty once more.

I doubt that would work, but yeah I'd rather she returned to voice Misty especially since it's only for 2 episodes and in also not very fond of Michelle Knotz' voice acting for human characters, particularly her Jessie voice which I find her at her worst. Her Misty voice sounds way too much like her May voice; I really wish she at least tried harder in voicing Misty.

At least Brocks va was pretty good; I thought he has really improved since his last appearance in the dub and I've honestly have gotten used to his current voice now after being exposed to it for years.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Oh boy...they missed a perfect opportunity to have Oshawott hit on Popplio. But since it's Unova and not Kanto of course we shouldn't confuse the child audience

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Great seeing some old Pokémon, Misty and Brock, and much more. Pretty much a reunion, if you ask me. Glad the Alola main cast learned load of things about Pokémon in Kanto. How did Rotom-dex manage to get data on all of the Kanto Pokémon (except Mew) in like 15 minutes?

And yay, Mew appeared! Great seeing that Mythical Pokémon.

Too bad Team Rocket never said "We're blasting off again!" Bewear on the other hand, though...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
(both BW and XYZ ended with Ash arriving at Pallet Town, then the next episode already had him setting out on his next journey, I think?), it was nice to see Oak's Pokemon preserve again.

BW actually had a full Pallet episode, focusing more on just Pallet and Oak's ranch than any series-ending Pallet episode ever.

No, Ash actually ordered Lycanroc to use Accelerock. Which begs the question of when Lycanroc learned Accelerock (I assume it did when it evolved) and why a bigger deal wasn't made out of a Pokémon learning a new move.

Because it's just one of those moves a Pokémon learns immediately upon evolution about which a huge deal isn't made. Remember that Ash didn't even check the Pokédex before calling out Water Shuriken as soon as Greninja evolved

I wonder if the Ninetales in this episode might be foreshadowing Snowy evolving into an Alolan Ninetales sometime later in the series.

It must be. Imo there was no other point to that scene

As far as the anime is concerned, Shiny Pokemon are irrelevant.

Now seeing a Lugia, that is very relevant to them.

As far as I'M concerned, and as far as I think EVERYONE should be concerned, Shiny Pokémon are irrelevant. You would think shinies have special unbeatable EVs and IVs or something the way some people treat them. Why do y'all care about differently colored Pokémon?

I think 1-2 episodes could have made it more impact-full and less rushed . Unnova gang deserves most. They didn't even got there own cameo episodes.

Yes but they got specials, Cilan even got 2. Clemont and Bonnie even got a special. Serena is the only previous traveling companion who's gotten NOTHING since leaving the show, so in reality she deserves it the most, and this is not really debatable since it's a fact that she's the only one who's gotten nothing

One thing I didn't get in this episode was how Kiawe was able to carry Turtonator while running away from Onix, yet he wasn't able to carry the fiery turtle while participating in the Pancake Race.

1) adrenaline from the fight-or-flight response
2) race was uphill

Wow, what's with Ash's lack of excitement over going on the Kanto field trip?

"It's the original twerp, twerp, and twerpette trio!" Jessie says, providing another actually funny TPCi TR line. But I could've done without Misty saying "ready, steady," as that was one annoying JP catchphrase I was living happily without.

I never thought the dub was bad at any point in its history other than "The Legend of Thunder", but I must say Lisa Ortiz is the best person to have gained the position of voice director. As a result, Bill Rogers (who was average as Brock in DP) was excellent here. Even though he likely wasn't trying to, he sure captured Eric Stuart's spirit in his performance. Michele Knotz did her own good thing as Misty (this being only the third time she voiced Misty). As we all know, Tom Wayland wasn't fit for the job of VD. It's amazing to see how much things have gotten better since Lisa Ortiz became the VD.

Oh man is the dub music of this one great. I'm happy the M20 credits piano solo version of the first dub OP wasn't used in the flashback. Instead it's a new arrangement mainly on a flute. And in general, there was a lot of flutework in this episode. Ed Goldfarb did confirm in that M20 Q&A he did on Twitter that he uses a mixture of live instruments and digital ones. I wonder if the flute was a real one. Even Jigglypuff got a new theme on a harp.

Yeah, this episode felt like the field trip it was, unconnected vignettes and all.

I understand your concern. But personally, those are the tracks I'm happiest to see gone, as Has-Been really has no talent for remixing, whether it be the game music or even his own past works. He's best at making new stuff.

Who's Has-Been?

True, but some enthusiasm would've been nice. After all, he's got lots of Alolan friends to show his homeland to. That opportunity would be reason enough for enthusiasm, I think.

From his perspective, the moment the word field trip was mentioned, he was probably thinking about how last time was, Akala, so he probably thought it was going to be another exciting new place he's never been before. From that perspective, where he's expecting a new place to be announced, and it just ends up being Kanto, it's easy to understand why he's underwhelmed. He's obviously excited by the showing his friends part you mention, but given that it was first introduced as a field trip, and then clarified to be Kanto, I can understand why he was expecting something different.

If it had first been introduced as a trip to Kanto, rather than first as field trip, raising Ash's hopes, I think he would have been much more excited

With this episode, thousands (or maybe hundreds depending on how many sock puppet accounts exist) of fans who declared Alola non-canon retracted their arguments or they were rendered null and void.

Thank goodness

Rachael has confirmed here this won't happen https://twitter.com/rachaellillis/status/933529590005350400

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Huh. Weird.

The dubs censored the adult's drinks to look green, despite the kids having the exact same thing.

I guess the mug looked too much like beer?

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
i finally got to see this the other day!!! it was amazing just to see misty and brock. still weird to hear mistys voice after growing up with the other one though. lana fears nothing, not even Gyarados jumping straight at her! also the electric shocking everyone but kanto marowak was really funny and i was super excited for the episode after this

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Got to see this episode in Dutch now. I'm not sure who's voicing Misty now in the Dutch dub but she's pretty close to the original Misty. I think it could be Lizemijn Gibhott, she also voices Nurse Joy for us. Brock is still the same voice actor that has been doing it since season 1, he's still with Pokémon as he also voices our Meowth, and he still sounds exactly the same as back then, good job. Anyway, whoever voiced Misty here, good job. And if it was Marloes Somers (who voiced her originally), you're not credited for some reason...

Seviper009

ii kanji
Got to see this episode in Dutch now. I'm not sure who's voicing Misty now in the Dutch dub but she's pretty close to the original Misty. I think it could be Lizemijn Gibhott, she also voices Nurse Joy for us. Brock is still the same voice actor that has been doing it since season 1, he's still with Pokémon as he also voices our Meowth, and he still sounds exactly the same as back then, good job. Anyway, whoever voiced Misty here, good job. And if it was Marloes Somers (who voiced her originally), you're not credited for some reason...

Marlies Somers returned to voice Misty in this episode.

The reason she was not credited was because the Dutch dub uses static credits that only shows the first couple of episodes, she was not present back then.
It was also quite clear that she was going to return as Misty, because she already did some characters of the day.
Fred Meijer (Brock) was credited, but that was because he's voicing Meowth too.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Marlies Somers returned to voice Misty in this episode.

The reason she was not credited was because the Dutch dub uses static credits that only shows the first couple of episodes, she was not present back then.
It was also quite clear that she was going to return as Misty, because she already did some characters of the day.
Fred Meijer (Brock) was credited, but that was because he's voicing Meowth too.

Thanks for the info. I was really confused because she sounded so much like the old Misty. Them not really adapting the credits properly is a shame, those voice actors work on the product and they deserve credit. I didn't know she also voiced characters of the day, I still don't really know where to find this info so it's mostly seeing the credits and matching the voices I hear to the voices they have of sampling work online as well as them stating they play certain characters on their own websites.

Leonhart

Imagineer
And yay, Mew appeared! Great seeing that Mythical Pokémon.

I wish Mew's cameo had had a purpose other than being used as symbolism. At least, I'm assuming it was a symbolic gesture in the same way that Houou's cameo was used that way at the start of the Kanto saga.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Eww. Granted, I only ever heard Misty's Rachael Lillis voice in the Puzzle League game, but even then, her current VA sounds a bit too much like May. I wonder if this episode hit a sour spot for Rachael? (Though she doesn't want people to recognize her as Misty since it's the thing that keeps making people go to her instead of her other roles. She's done better in higher productions, people).

Brock's latest VA remains the same all because Bill Rogers is a massive contributor for voices, since he voices way too many Pokemon by default (and he is perhaps the only welcomed change of the disastrous VA shift). He's still pretty okay (but I personally think he should stick to anime with higher production values instead of sticking to this budget anime, but still, he keeps things bearable here). If only he could be the King of Hyrule for much longer...

Decent episode, I guess, but Ash's other non-Kanto and non-Johto Pokemon remain at large. I wonder what the Squirtle Squad was doing lurking around...

I never thought the dub was bad at any point in its history other than "The Legend of Thunder", but I must say Lisa Ortiz is the best person to have gained the position of voice director.

She's got a gift. I mean, she somehow turned Zapdos into a laughingstock.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Last edited:

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
She's got a gift. I mean, she somehow turned Zapdos into a laughingstock.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Actually, that was whoever in the sound department decided to paste that particular sound clip maintained from the JP version. It was what told someone to just randomly scream because, well... it's the JP version. It's made a science out of making all the wrong choices and getting away with it.

Still, the dub did make a hilarious choice of sound clip for that WTP.

Just curious; what takes you so long to see a dub season?

MiloticTwins

Okay. So, most of Ash's reversed Pokémon cut in this episode include Kingler, Primeape, Snorlax, Heracross, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl, Donphan, Swellow, Sceptile, Torkoal, Glalie, Staraptor, Torterra, Infernape, Buizel, Gliscor, Gible, Unfezant, Oshawott, Pignite, Snivy, Scraggy, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore, Krookodile, Talonflame, Hawlucha and Noivern, while Charizard is the only one of Ash's reversed Pokémon that has appeared only in the flashback. So, I'm just wanting to know why you think most of Ash's reversed Pokémon have been cut from their physical appearance in this episode, and whether or not you think they all will make their physical appearance in the future Sun & Moon anime series episode? Did you know?