• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Amazing Aerial Battle! (729)

Vernikova

Champion
And fifteen years later, people still complain about the dub replacing music. Amazing.

Anyway, due to that hideous Pokemon evolving, Skyla's prediction wasn't wrong. She should still continue to do her air battles since this episode has proven nothing.

Anyway, due to that hideous Pokemon evolving, Skyla's prediction wasn't wrong. She should still continue to do her air battles since this episode has proven nothing.

Actually no, she made a prediction that she would win and in the end was wrong. The fact that Tranquill evolved proved that nothing is ever a guarantee in battle and that anything can happen.

Vernikova

Champion
Actually no, she made a prediction that she would win and in the end was wrong. The fact that Tranquill evolved proved that nothing is ever a guarantee in battle and that anything can happen.

She based her result off of the Pokemon Ash had at hand. Therefore, she was not wrong.

She based her result off of the Pokemon Ash had at hand. Therefore, she was not wrong.

So she never thought an evolution could occur? I guess she's not so great at predicting things after all. The whole point of this was to show that someone cannot simply predict an outcome so easily, that anything can happen in battle. Skyla made a prediction but she never took in every possibility, resulting in her losing.

Vernikova

Champion
^ The same way Volkner wasn't reported. Skyla even said so herself that no one had a problem with it outside of Ash, Cilan, and Miles.

So she never thought an evolution could occur? I guess she's not so great at predicting things after all. The whole point of this was to show that someone cannot simply predict an outcome so easily, that anything can happen in battle. Skyla made a prediction but she never took in every possibility, resulting in her losing.
Clearly, you missed the point of what air battles actually are. They're a method of determining a winner with the current set up of both teams. Her arrogance reflects on nothing more than her character and has little to no bearing on the success rate of air battles. From what we've seen, air battles have a 100% success rate.

Clearly, you missed the point of what air battles actually are. They're a method of determining a winner with the current set up of both teams. Her arrogance reflects on nothing more than her character and has little to no bearing on the success rate of air battles. From what we've seen, air battles have a 100% success rate.

Air battles is nothing but assumption based. She guessed she would beat Ash and she lost, thus not a 100% success rate. She took nothing into account other than the pokemon she saw in front of her, and so when the real battle happened, she got a surprise with the evolution and lost. This can happen with any battle.

For example, someone throws out three bug types against Skyla. She uses her air battles and says she will win, only taking type advantage into account. The fact is that there is no guarantee she would win because she doesn't know how powerful these bug types are or what moves they know. You have to have a real battle to figure that out, not basing it off assumption.

Vernikova

Champion
Air battles is nothing but assumption based. She guessed she would beat Ash and she lost, thus not a 100% success rate.

Stop giving false information. Her prediction was based on Pikachu, that bird Pokemon before it evolved, and some other Pokemon. The next evolutionary state of the bird Pokemon was not part of her prediction and as a result does not affect the success rate because it was not part of the air battle. Before it evolved, she was clearly winning so it does have a 100% success rate. Unless you want to deny what was shown on screen.

She took nothing into account other than the pokemon she saw in front of her,

That's how an air battle works. The episodes clearly showed this was its purpose.

and so when the real battle happened, she got a surprise with the evolution and lost. This can happen with any battle.

Irrelevant to the success of air battles since the actual battle used a Pokemon that was not in the air battle.

For example, someone throws out three bug types against Skyla. She uses her air battles and says she will win, only taking type advantage into account. The fact is that there is no guarantee she would win because she doesn't know how powerful these bug types are or what moves they know. You have to have a real battle to figure that out, not basing it off assumption.

Missing the point of air battles. It's obvious that she would know all of this but that's not how an air battle is supposed to work.

Stop giving false information. Her prediction was based on Pikachu, that bird Pokemon before it evolved, and some other Pokemon. The next evolutionary state of the bird Pokemon was not part of her prediction and as a result does not affect the success rate because it was not part of the air battle. Before it evolved, she was clearly winning so it does have a 100% success rate. Unless you want to deny what was shown on screen.

That's how an air battle works. The episodes clearly showed this was its purpose.

Irrelevant to the success of air battles since the actual battle used a Pokemon that was not in the air battle.

Missing the point of air battles. It's obvious that she would know all of this but that's not how an air battle is supposed to work.

Saying air battles has a 100% success rate is false because it's nothing but GUESSING. It's supposed to replace the actual battling but instead she assumes she's going to win or lose. That's not how a real battles works. In a real battle, you can't say a pokemon is going to lose because of a type disadvantage, anything can happen in a battle.

In the pokemon world, you don't play games and guess who is going to win, you actually battle and see who the real strong one is. Skyla guessed she would beat Ash and got a reality check, proving that a REAL battle shows the REAL evidence of who's better.

Last edited:
And fifteen years later, people still complain about the dub replacing music. Amazing.

If she continued to do her air battles, then Ash wouldn't have gotten the badge and that wouldn't be fair since we saw from this episode that Ash beat her and deserved the badge.

Vernikova

Champion
Saying air battles has a 100% success rate is false because it's nothing but GUESSING.

Her battle with Cilan makes it 100% by itself.

It's supposed to replace the actual battling but instead she assumes she's going to win or lose. That's not how a real battles works.

Because it's not a real battle.

In a real battle, you can't say a pokemon is going to lose because of a type disadvantage, anything can happen in a battle.

Read above.

In the pokemon world, you don't play games and guess who is going to win, you actually battle and see who the real strong one is. Skyla guessed she would beat Ash and got a reality check, proving that a REAL battle shows the REAL evidence of who's better.

Nothing to with air battles.

If she continued to do her air battles, then Ash wouldn't have gotten the badge and that wouldn't be fair since we saw from this episode that Ash beat her and deserved the badge.

It would've been his own problem. He could've gone to other gyms like Miles suggested that he should.

R?IDDl3R

ace trainer
the best gym battle i seen in the unova region soo far.. amazing! .. excellent strategy my ash too, glad to see skyla go back to normal battles

Read above.

It would've been his own problem. He could've gone to other gyms like Miles suggested that he should.

Ash came all that way for a gym battle. There was no way he was turning back and it's a good thing he got Sklya to battle him because Ash proved he is a stronger trainer and deserved the badge. I'm glad Ash taught Skyla a lesson. Skyla was getting too arrogant thinking she knew everything about battling and that she could beat Ash but she ended up being wrong because Ash proved to her he was the stronger battler.

Well, i've gotta say, I like skyla as a person, but as a gym leader she's a total a-hole. In the end it really doesn't work since you don't know the other trainer's techniques, so if a challenger didnt use the same techniques as skyla, she would have to assume the challenger does; If a challenger was more technical, she would have to assume the challenger is as technical as she herself is(it's kinda hard to explain XD). And besides hat, she doesn't know the moves the other pokemon has. For all she knows, a flying type pokemon might not have any flying moves at all.
However I still believe ash won by luck since the evolution thing is something that comes out of nowhere. If it didn't happen, that would've been it for him.
Then again, if he used better techniques, he could've won. Same for cilan in the last ep., he could've won too if he didn't spam the same technique.

XXD17

Draco rex
Now we know...aqua ring heals the user of burn and shields it from electric attacks...if only that were true...

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Brilliant, Excellent, Amazing (if I can take from the title) and I'll stop with the hyperbole now but it showed just how entertained I was from this episode. Action packed from beginning to end.

We began with Swoobat vs Krokorok. It was always going to be tough for Krokorok and it got in a good Dig Dodge and its stone edge may have turned the battle around if it wasn't partially deflected by Swoobat's Gust. However, it wasn't to be.

We then had a brief battle between Unfezant & Tranquill however the superior evolution was too much for Tranquill to take and Ash took the sensible move to substitute her for Pikachu. It was a clever move for Pikachu to wait for unfezant to come in close to hit it with Iron Tail and it was enough for Pikachu to continue on and get the win.

Swanna was the final pokemon for Skyla. It had the perfect strategy to counter Pikachu with an Aqua Ring barrier and even though Pikachu and Ash thought of an ingenious way to use the rings that Skyla used in her pre battle display to get a quick attack in, the lack of Electric type moves proved that Swanna had the upper hand.

Tranquill is back for the final brawl. It had a lot of determination to win for Ash and you could see that in the battle. After Tranquill looked down and out after a strong hurricane its determination caused the evolution into Unfezant and from then on it dominated to give Ash the Win and the Jet Badge.

Anyway, an excellent battle and i'm glad Skyla learned her lesson about Air Battles. Nothing beats seeing an exciting battle in its true form! :D

I just finished watching this episode & I have to say that it was good. I love it when Ash defeats cocky gym leaders like Skyla. I'm a bit disappointed with Pikachu's performance against Swanna. It should've beat it with no problem. Oh well, off to the next gym.

Remember, that type advantage isn't everything in a battle. Ash has proved this numerous times previously.

Read above.

I don't think you understand what an air battle is. Yes, you are right that Skyla looks at the pokemon in front of her but as it was said in the last episode (Cilan takes Flight) Skyla infact imagines the entire battle in her head to discover an outcome (the illustrations are just a visual representation of her thoughts for our benefit). Now, if Skyla is predicting the entire battle, she has to consider all outcomes and Tranquil's evolution was never a thought in her head and therefore her imagination of the battle in her head was wrong and her Air battles are not always successful.

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
I liked this episode because of Ash's victory over an annoying gym leader. Also glad Ash got a new pokemon in Unfeazant.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
It began well but it soon became apparent that Unfezant was out of reach for Pikachu but ingeniously the rings set up for Skyla's pre battle display proved the decisive point for Pikachu to Win.
I think your confusing Unfezant for Swanna...Pikachu didn't once use the rings to beat Unfezant. He just waited till Aerial Ace got close enough and used Iron Tail then Electro Ball to finish it up

Vernikova

Champion
Ash came all that way for a gym battle. There was no way he was turning back and it's a good thing he got Sklya to battle him because Ash proved he is a stronger trainer and deserved the badge. I'm glad Ash taught Skyla a lesson. Skyla was getting too arrogant thinking she knew everything about battling and that she could beat Ash but she ended up being wrong because Ash proved to her he was the stronger battler.

It didn't matter if he came all that way. He chooses whether or not to participate in at that gym. If he doesn't like the way the Gym Leader handles their business then he can go elsewhere.

I don't think you understand what an air battle is.

An air battle is a battle in Skyla's mind where she relies on the opponents current party to determine who has the advantage in battle. If the trainer has an advantage then she hands the person a badge.

Yes, you are right that Skyla looks at the pokemon in front of her but as it was said in the last episode (Cilan takes Flight) Skyla infact imagines the entire battle in her head to discover an outcome (the illustrations are just a visual representation of her thoughts for our benefit). Now, if Skyla is predicting the entire battle, she has to consider all outcomes and Tranquil's evolution was never a thought in her head and therefore her imagination of the battle in her head was wrong and her Air battles are not always successful.

It seems that you misunderstand what air battles are.

Serenna

The problem is Skyla is both right and wrong with her air battle prediction against Ash.

If Ash kept his current team of 3 when the battle started, Skyla would have won that battle.

However, what she ignored was the fact that Pikachu vs Swanna would be a W for Ash and the other 2 battles would have been a loss for Ash. Skyla was only calculating it via one-on-one battles and count up score that way type-wise (or in the case of Tranquill vs Unfezant, one is fulled evolved over the other so it's easy to say that Unfezant has the advantage).

She never once considered what would happen if Pikachu single-handled defended ALL 3 of Skyla's Pokemon as per an actual Gym Battle. After all, they are all Flying-types and Pikachu is Electric. By that metric, Ash should win the Gym Battle.