• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Amazing Aerial Battle! (729)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Tranquil was EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cries tears of joy*

Finally you stupid writers!!!!!!!!!!

Poor Kroc though :(, you could of at least given him Thunder Fang ya jerks :<!!!

The rat should of been the fall guy here :(.

The rat should of been the fall guy here :(.

But, the rat has enough embarassing losses. He shouldn't lose against a bunch of flying types. ._.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
But, the rat has enough embarassing losses. He shouldn't lose against a bunch of flying types. ._.

Ya but the Kroc lost to Pikachu so it should of won here. This is just sad :(. The rat already has the most gym wins jeez.

Last edited by a moderator:

dman_dustin

So with this gym out of the way, I rank the following gyms from favorite to least favorite.

Clay
Skyla
Burgh
Striaton
Lenora
Elesa

I really liked this gym battle. Tranquill getting a win before evolving, and a win after evolving.

Shame Krokorok had to lose because of the rat but hopefully in the near future, Krokorok will get a nice battle and win there.

Shame Unfezant got Aerial Ace, I was SO hoping they'd give her a better move, and not one shared from the last two birds, but I did kind of like how Unfezant use Aerial Ace, so I'm not complaining that much.

Wing Attack, though, for shame, I mean of all the moves to give her, they choose one that Tranquill can't currently learn in the games. But I guess that's what happens when you limit the whole line's movepool.

I also really liked the chase sequence, but one complaint, I wish Ash tried to do something, rather than have Unfezant and Swanna playing deadly tag until near the end. I get that Ash was trying to find an opening, but I think quick attack would've came in handy.

Plus I would've loved to see Unfezant flying much faster than Swanna, spin around and fly towards Swanna, and then gracefully dodging the attack, and come around with an aerial ace. That's kind of what happened, but in my mind not quite what I would've wanted.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Now that that's over. I can breathe. See? Bird Pokemon aren't bad. All you have to do is use them for more than scouting and they'll be all set.

Don't blame Piakchu just because Krokorok is weak as H*ll. And some of you really need to stop being so prejudice towards bird pokemon, I mean really?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
sometimes beginners luck doesn't work, such was the case here with the Krok, not to mention Ash had no time to train it beforehand, and we don't know how much it trained itself either.

shac

I have said it before and I will say it again, Pikachu needed to win here. I hate it when Ash's stronger pokemon loses at a type advantage.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
I have said it before and I will say it again, Pikachu needed to win here. I hate it when Ash's stronger pokemon loses at a type advantage.

Pikachu lost where it mattered most, vs. Fuuro's boss pokemon — Swanna.

The Aqua Ring defense was a little dumb, but they needed a reason excuse for him(Pikachu) to lose.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Haha, Aerial Ace.. saw that coming!

Ah well, i really enjoyed this episode. Tranquill/Unfezant got two wins as I'd hoped and she actually looked kickass while doing so; my second favourite bird after Noctowl I think.

Plus I'm glad Ash captured a female Pidove, since female Unfezant has been drawn way better than the male in the anime.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Looks like those writers did another correct here, although Pikachu getting a win over Krokorok can be seen as wrong. I am still fine with it, as Krokorok can still have the 8th Gym. Tranquill learning Wing Attack was expected. Glowing wings that aren't metallic? Then it couldn't be Steel Wing. I was not expecting Aerial Ace since I HATE BW's animation of it. I liked the white streaks. Now it looks like Acrobatics too. Unfezant getting 2 wins(Tranquill & Unfezant are still the same in my eyes) in this gym did it for me. Adding the Best Wishes Opening Instrumental helped too.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Not really, I mean Ash switched Pokemon in this match. The only thing in common is Krokorok losing and Tranquil evolving.
If you really see it like that, but still, Tranquil winning and then evolving when it's getting it's butt kicked... reminiscent of all gym battle evolution's this season. I liked the gym, but it just felt repeated

gohan5

Irisboy
If you really see it like that, but still, Tranquil winning and then evolving when it's getting it's butt kicked... reminiscent of all gym battle evolution's this season. I liked the gym, but it just felt repeated

Yeah I really do see it like that, I mean the gym battle against Burgh couldn't have been more formulaic and ordinary. What'd you expect, her to evolve and still lose? We knew that wasn't happening, so at least Ash thought to switch her out and Pikachu didn't star like in Burgh's gym. So completely different imo because of Pikachu and Unfezant's roles here. Plus the battle was much better, especially Unfezant's amazing skill after not being used for so long.

Haunter ゴースト

What a brilliant battle and episode.

It's a shame Krokorok was the fall guy, it'd have been alright if he lost because of his Sunglasses, but oh well, he was actually portrayed pretty powerful here digging into the ground, coming up and using stone edge etc.

Pikachu's win against Unfeazant was incredible too, the tactic they used against Elesa's Tynamo with Iron Tail was awesome I was hoping for a little mention from Iris/Cilan about it, and the animation of the Electro Ball right after was extremely nice, this attack should always look like it!

Using Aqua Ring to deflect Electric attacks works I suppose if you didn't touch the ring of water at all.

I liked the whole idea of using the hoops to attack Swanna but alas it wasn't enough to defeat it. The moment when Pikachu fell back defeated and Ash caught him was a great way to show their bond, it made me smile.

Tranquil, 2 very deserving wins, all of this screentime it's lacked on really did give it justice here taking out Swoobat and Swanna.
It's evolution was awesome and it seems Unfeazant is an incredibly fast Pokemon, im willing to bet faster than Ash's other bird Pokemon.
I liked how Unfeazant and Swanna were speeding across chasing each other to attack, it was really fast paced and intense.

Great Gym Battle, just as good as Clay's.

100/100.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm happy this episode turned out the way it did. There are very few things that weren't done to a high standard, but hey, that's Iwane for you!

What I thought was epic:
- Krokorok vs. Swoobat: High paced and intense! Shame the croc lost, but it will get another shot, I still he's the exception to the reserve rule.
- Tranquill vs. Swoobat: It was short, but it is Tranquill's only win. Good job.
- Pikachu vs. Unfezant: It was a good battle, and I liked that pokemon used multiple moves in a row: Iron Tail/Electroball.
- Pikachu vs. Swanna: Pikachu getting slaughtered!
1. Thunderbolt and Electroball doing nothing due to Aqua Ring.
2. Iron Tail missing.
3. Bubblebeam to the face when it can't even defend or dodge without falling to the ground.
4. Swanna taking names on an opponent that's already down with not one, but two finisher moves: Hurricane, and then Bravebird! To be honest, I was surprised Pikachu got up for a second, it got raped three times in a row, didn't even have a chance.
5. Tranquill vs. Swanna: It was good, it somehow survived Hurricane!
6. Unfezant vs. Swanna: This was just all epicness that the bird needed. Highspeed, intense, Air Cutter being turned into something that rapidly fires off the wings while in flight, etc. I was really on the edge of my seat the whole time.

The minor things that weren't as good:
- Krokorok randomly falling to Swoobat, while there could've been potential plotset-up with its glasses, so I don't mind it falling, but they could've done more with it, offhand.
- Tranquill vs. Swoobat didn't last long, yet it was completely drained against Unfezant in no time.
- Wing Attack: Why the flup! WING ATTACK! Why!!! Why!!! Why!!! If you're going to give it a new move in which it uses its wings to hit something, then give it Steel Wing at least! This is just waiting to upgraded now, while it didn't have to be.
- Tranquill vs. Swanna: Hurricane vs. Gust.. Yeah.. Did it think it really had a chance or what? Poor decision, but if it had to fall to something, then let it have been Brave Bird or something.
- Talking about Brave Bird: Spammed much? It used it more then Staraptor in its entire run I believe... *sarcasm, but still it spammed it too much.
- Aerial Ace: It's not a bad move, but.. Yeah, I don't see the point of it having Wing Attack and Aerial Ace... Also, Aerial Ace as an allmighty finisher just doesn't do it for me anymore. Sure, with Swellow it was okay at best, but now that even Quilava has the move, the writers better upgrade this one to Sky Attack, or I'll be PO'd..
- It used five moves in one battle? That's new..

Unfezant:
- Gust (-> Razor Wind)
- Air Cutter
- Quick Attack
- Wing Attack (-> Steel Wing)
- Aerial Ace (-> Sky Attack)

Did you know that Gust was a Normal-type move in the first generation? I know this because I'm replaying Yellow.. :p

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Don't blame Piakchu just because Krokorok is weak as H*ll. And some of you really need to stop being so prejudice towards bird pokemon, I mean really?

No one is really prejudice against birds, most of us were just upset that the writers focus on them less than any other of the Pokemon.

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
Good battle, and Tranquil evolved finally.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
I just finished watching this episode and I must say that I'm proud of how the writers handled Tranquill/Unfezant - giving Tranquill the win vs Swoobat and Unfezant the win against Swanna. Also, That Iron Tail from Pikachu vs. Skyla's Unfezant looked like it hurt badly (I kinda flinched when it hit)... like its neck was broken, lol. All in all, this is my second favorite Unova Gym Battle behind Ash vs. Clay.