• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Amazing Aerial Battle! (729)

CupidKirby

Great episode! This was definetly one of those episodes which can only be enjoyed when animated. I usually love the speedy battles the best so it's great how the animators made it that way rather than having those awkward pauses we're so used to. And as some others said, there weren't any cheap loses/wins. Even though Krokorok lost I thought he was actually animated to look powerful...just seeing him on Ash's team is pretty cool.

I know we're all sick of those Ash/Pikachu moments but seeing Pikachu get up after a Bubblebeam+Hurricane+BraveBird only for Ash to forfeit the match for him was pretty epic. I honestly thought the rat could've kept battling but would've gotten hurt or sick or something if he did. I think less of us would've found the scene less WTF if Pikachu's endurance was always this high ._.

The end with Skyla deciding to stop her air battles felt rushed, like they spent so much time on battling so didn't have time to develop her as a character. Ah well, I'm glad Ash wasn't lecturing her throughout the whole thing. Like he talked to her through battling which is a lot like him.

Also, Unfezant beats Swanna with one Aerial Ace but Stunfisk's electric attacks don't affect him at all? lol Bad writing...

Swanna did get hit a lot before that...and I'm pretty sure any pokemon is stronger than Dent's Stunfisk at this point.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Swanna did get hit a lot before that...and I'm pretty sure any pokemon is stronger than Dent's Stunfisk at this point.
I know none of Pikachu's moves did a thing to the Swan :/ So when did it get damaged beforehand? Also, despite whether Stunfisk is strong or not, a (STAB, it's been stated befroe the moves of that match the Pokemon's type do more damage) x4 effective move should easily have taken out the bird.

pokefandt

Tranquill actually got a few hits in before she evolved. Which was nice.

On the dub, for god's sake PUSA leave the original music alone. That bloody piano music they play in place of just about every dramatic battle music is getting on my nerves.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Despite how Skyla acted before, she proves to be a worthy Gym Leader to challenge. Her Pokemon we're quite phenomenal in battle, and she showed interested in battle all along. Ash was just a little bit more in his game though. It's too bad for Krokorok to lose in his first gym battle, and against a Swoobat; unbelievable. Tranquill was amazing, and it got a win against Swoobat, but it's a shame it coudn't face off against it's evolution. Luckily Ash recalled her back. Pikachu was outstanding, and Skyla proved to be a tough match with her Swanna. I'm happy with Pikachu defeating Unfezant at least, and nearly taking out Swanna was fine in my book. Although the Aqua Ring barrier was a huge blow.

Tranquill VS Swanna was a tough one to watch, but seeing Ash had to win, it was a perfect time for Tranquill to evolve! Again, I love the female look of Unfezant way more than the males (like Skyla's). With that extra speed, Ash took the win!

All in all, it ended very well. Skyla is gonna stop doing Air Battles and do the traditional way of battling like Gym Leaders should. Least she's come to some sense, and I enjoyed this battle between her and Ash fairly well.

Also, I didn't realize Iccirus City was pronounced Ice-seh-russ City. I've been saying it as Ick-uh-russ City. My way of saying it sounded better to me.

Blaziryu

I just finished watching this episode & I have to say that it was good. I love it when Ash defeats cocky gym leaders like Skyla. I'm a bit disappointed with Pikachu's performance against Swanna. It should've beat it with no problem. Oh well, off to the next gym.

JD

Interesting.. Ash actually didn't order Tranquil to use Wing Attack or at least I don't think he did he just told her to "Attack Now"

pokefandt

Well they kept the original music for the battle between krokorok and swoobat. But they played that damn piano again during the battle between Pikachu and Skyla's Unfezant. They at least kept the little piece when Tranquill evolved, but for the final battle, they used the Rival Destinies theme, which did not work nearly as well.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Another fun gym battle, with top notch animation =D Pikachu's fight in particular was really cool to see.

Interesting.. Ash actually didn't order Tranquil to use Wing Attack or at least I don't think he did he just told her to "Attack Now"

Good call on the dub's part, since Tranquil can't learn that move xD

Another badge in the case and off to the next city.

IcySealeo

Do you know what Ash says when Tranquill used Wing Attack? Because I heard he didn't tell it to use Wing Attack, and they fixed the error.

ArielSummer

Well they kept the original music for the battle between krokorok and swoobat. But they played that damn piano again during the battle between Pikachu and Skyla's Unfezant. They at least kept the little piece when Tranquill evolved, but for the final battle, they used the Rival Destinies theme, which did not work nearly as well.

It works fine for the dub watchers. The only Japanese piece I ever liked myself was Advanced Adventure. Everything else that the dub does is fine with me. Pokemon is not the type of anime that needs to keep the original music anyway. The target audience most likely has no idea its even made in Japan.

Wow after finding out Sarah did Skyla watching this episode is weird. It's like ash is talking to his female version and vice versa for the entire episode

Last edited:

SmartD

It's a great episode. Tranquill evolves into Unfezant and beats Swanna, which proves Skyla battles can be unpredictable. Now that Ash has the Jet Badge, it's on to the next Gym.

Do you know what Ash says when Tranquill used Wing Attack? Because I heard he didn't tell it to use Wing Attack, and they fixed the error.

He said "Attack Now" at that part.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Wow after finding out Sarah did Skyla watching this episode is weird. It's like ash is talking to his female version and vice versa for the entire episode

Looks like good old Sarah had some dedication to voicing this episode. That's a lot of work to do for an episode. xD Then again, she's done numerous episodes before, not like it's not new to her before.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon

wait... do you mean the diamond and pearl paino music that was played in every episode?

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
If I'm being honest, between last episode and this one I absolutely hated Skyla's character!

Last edited by a moderator:

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
First things first, did Ash seriously look up Unfezant in the Dex two episodes in a row? Oh well, at least it gave new information both times.

Second, Gust vs. Hurricane? Which could possibly win? I have no idea.

Speaking of which, Hurricane is really an unrealistic move. Rather than being a big tornado, it should really be a massive miles-wide storm cloud with violent winds and torrential rain. Of course, then they'd have to give it a new name every time it was used . . .

Looks like good old Sarah had some dedication to voicing this episode. That's a lot of work to do for an episode. xD Then again, she's done numerous episodes before, not like it's not new to her before.

Don't forget the Roserade mistake...