• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Angry Combeenation! (500)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
An Angry Combeenation!

After splitting from Gardenia, Ash & Co. continue their search for Honey with their new friend Cheryl. Chasing a Combee that they found, they find a massive hive filled with Combee. However, Team Rocket see this and want the Combee. The hive's leader however, is not too happy with Team Rocket or Ash & Co's presence in the hive...

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Maestro Kinético

I'm sorry but I didn't like this episode at all. The animation was very bad, and those Mitsuhoneys looked very artifical and badly drawn. Nothing really happened and Beequeen didn't do anything. The battle againts TR was also bland, attract?

The only good thing was when they entered the cave and Dark Beequeen appeared with red eyes.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Maestro, every time you post, I feel like popping in another Zoloft.
Anyways, haven't done a rapidfire review in a while, so I shall do so now:

- Combee is a freak, you hear me? A FREAK.
- I like how this new art director does faces.
- It's a wall of Combfreaks! I shall refer to it as Freakwall!
- Did I mention that Cheryl tickles my fancy?
- Superb lighting effects. You can certainly tell this director worked on the movies.
- DEMONIC COMBFREAKS! Their master is probably a Bidoof.
- Nice touch with the Combfreaks' gender differences.
- I take it Wormadam's gonna do nothing in this episode. AGAIN.
- MEGA FREAKWALL LIVES! And CG that actually impresses me!
- I swear I played this level in Donkey Kong Country 2.
- You fools! You've just awakened King Zing!
- Wow, Vespiquen...didn't do much.
- And Croagunk is the only one who finds the honey disgusting.
- Cheryl's gone. Me = Sad. Sadder than Brock.
- RANDOM BUG/GRASS POKEMON MOB!

Pretty good for a filler. A beehive isn't something that's been done before, either, in spite of countless Spear attacks over the years. Kinda wish Vespiquen did more, but the new art director gets a gold star in my book.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Yeah, I liked how the animator shaded the episode, especially when it was all dark.

The guy worked on Movie 8, and I definately thought it showed. It was a pretty impressive backdrop, like the Tree of Origin was.

FireHead Hank

Matt Fanboy
I really liked this episode. Vespiqueen seemed very misterious and cool. She is the queen of A LOT of Combees......which I think are even more awesome when they get together to form a big Combee or a "bee-wall".

Mothim was getting on my nerves for some reason...especially when it destroyed the whole combee-wall with only one attack.

Weav-vile

Totally!
Another awesome episode!

Gorgeous animation, nice battles, plenty of funny moments, nice BGM... It all rocked a lot.
I also loved to see Buneary again. I was missing that thing <3

About Vespiquen... Of course she did a lot! She used Attack Order all the time... Or do you people think those Combee were really using Psybeam? C'mon, if they were it would be nonsense that Vespiquen would do nothing while her home were breaking apart. =P

Oh, and... Cheryl's gone. Gah, I liked her. :~

I'm sorry but I didn't like this episode at all. The animation was very bad, and those Mitsuhoneys looked very artifical and badly drawn. Nothing really happened and Beequeen didn't do anything. The battle againts TR was also bland, attract?

The only good thing was when they entered the cave and Dark Beequeen appeared with red eyes.

Are you insane?
If I recall correctly, you said you were an art student or something... Now, let me ask you: how do you want to become a decent professional if you can't even recognize good animation? My... You're such a pain in the azz. -_-

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
Typical Team Rocket, they try so hard at actually winning only to lose out at the end of an episode and this ep is no different.

The only other thing that annoyed me was Jessie's big head when she mocked Ash & Co.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Seviper swatting away the Combee was pretty sweet. There's a reason one of my forum names is named after him.

Vespiquen technically did do quite a bit, when you remember she was controlling all the Combee to attack.

And yes, Oak getting beat up by Pokemon seems to be back after a LONG absense!

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
Eh... wasn't impressed with this episode at all. I was hoping for so much more, but was left in the dust. While the CGI was great, the rest of the animation seemed so sketchy that it kinda hurt to watch it. The characters seemed to snap from one pose to another, doing relatively little actual *moving*. I really didn't like Team Rocket in this one, either. Too much unusual screaming and whatnot. It just seemed so random. Sudowoodo was as cute as ever, though, but a lot of Pokemon seemed to just appear, vanish, and reappear later. Mothim even used what I'm guessing to be Supersonic which wasn't even shown having an effect in the following frame. It's like the attack completely vanished. The Combee's Psybeam would've been awesome... if the attack hadn't just totally come from nowhere and Combee actually learned it. The same goes for Mothim's supposed Supersonic. Finally, the last thing that made this so unenjoyable was that the Combee were so selective in attacking. First they're a wall blocking intruders, but when that wall falls, they walk in, scott-free. They're not even being contested by the fact that they're invaders.

scissorX

I really liked the CGI in this episode, but other than that I thought it was pretty boring to be honest.

Even though it showcased Combee and Vespiqueen, I've just had enough of Sinnoh fillers already.. Just because they never really show Ash's Sinnoh Pokémon in their glory. I want to see them train!

Maestro Kinético

Are you insane?
If I recall correctly, you said you were an art student or something... Now, let me ask you: how do you want to become a decent professional if you can't even recognize good animation? My... You're such a pain in the azz.

Before beeing an art student I'm a person, and a person knows that good and bad are totally subjetive concepts. So please, don't try to disqualify my opinion using those.

The animation in my opinion was very bad (and animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays), look at the scenes with the Mitsuhoneys flying, the background looks so unreal and gleaming, doesn't look natural. Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical and their shading looks bad (all of this in my opinion). A few examples:

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/54.jpg

IMO thats not good animation at all, looks like a flat drawing.

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/55.jpg

Look at their faces.

ETA: Forgot about the 500th episode, for beeing a 500 episode it wa spretty weak, nothing happened with the characters.

Maestro and Ashy Boy make a good Crash-The-Thread combo. I'm surprised they haven't joined forces to make one big pessimistic team yet.

I found Vespiquen to be quite eerie, really. Same with the Combees. And I even like Combee :( Well, at least that means the art director was setting the atmosphere properly.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Before beeing an art student I'm a person, and a person knows that good and bad are totally subjetive concepts. So please, don't try to disqualify my opinion using those.
Not in terms of animation it isn't. If the animation is bad, then it's bad, and if animation is good, then it's good.

Now, I haven't seen the episode myself, but considering you thought a Kinoshita episode had good animation, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when you say 'good/bad animation', let alone good or bad artwork...

The animation in my opinion was very bad (and animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays), look at the scenes with the Mitsuhoneys flying, the background looks so unreal and gleaming, doesn't look natural. Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical and their shading looks bad (all of this in my opinion). A few examples:

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/54.jpg

IMO thats not good animation at all, looks like a flat drawing.

http://pokemon-safari.com/sitio/imagenes_capitulos/diamond-pearl/032/55.jpg

Look at their faces.
'Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical'
So what were you expecting? You really think they'd go through the trouble of giving every single individual face a different expression? Or were you just begging to see a few moustaches, shades and sideburns thrown in for good measure?

It's CG art, which has never been a strength of this show. You're just labling the entire episode as poorly animated because of what is essentially just a single character model. That's like saying the Manaphy movie had crappy 2D animation because the models used for the 3D characters were god awful, but that just isn't the case.

Also, background art =/= animation. It's background art. Unless it's a certain scene, there's no movement involved there.

Maestro Kinético

Not in terms of animation it isn't. If the animation is bad, then it's bad, and if animation is good, then it's good.

I didn't know that you were God. Now seriously, good and bad are the most subjetive concepts of all (as stated by philosophy and ethics).

Now, I haven't seen the episode myself, but considering you thought a Kinoshita episode had good animation, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about when you say 'good/bad animation', let alone good or bad artwork...

Again the same thing, just because you think Kinoshita makes bad animation the whole world does not have to think like you.

'Also, the faces of the Mitsuhoney are identical'
So what were you expecting? You really think they'd go through the trouble of giving every single individual face a different expression? Or were you just begging to see a few moustaches, shades and sideburns thrown in for good measure?

No, I was specting separate Mitsuhoney or a formation of separate Mitsuhoney, not those strange groups that look anticlimatic because the Mitsuhoney inside the group can't fly and they are still in the air without falling.

It's CG art, which has never been a strength of this show. You're just labling the entire episode as poorly animated because of what is essentially just a single character model. That's like saying the Manaphy movie had crappy 2D animation because the models used for the 3D characters were god awful, but that just isn't the case.

That's why I don't like when they use it, and they don't have the need to do so. The animation was good with traditionally animated characters and attacks.

Also, background art =/= animation. It's background art. Unless it's a certain scene, there's no movement involved there.

I'm not talking about the movement, I'm talking about how unreal and gleamy it looks. I loved those forest scenes of the early days, so well drawn and natural even if they didn't have the resources they have nowadays.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
OK! Episode 500! So, does Ash now have a Grotle, Staraptor, or Ambipom? Or does Dawn have Prinplup or Lopunny? Or does Brock have Toxicroak? Or does James have Mr. Mime or Cacturne? Or was it a capture?
Ultimate fanbase burn.
Again the same thing, just because you think Kinoshita makes bad animation the whole world does not have to think like you.
You telling me THIS is good animation?
[img139]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6539/kinoshitbt1.png[/img139]
No, I was specting separate Mitsuhoney or a formation of separate Mitsuhoney, not those strange groups that look anticlimatic because the Mitsuhoney inside the group can't fly and they are still in the air without falling.
Now you're grabbing at straws. How does a wall of Combee look "anticlimatic" because of a simple flaw in physics? Besides, I'm sure the Combee are made to be strong enough to carry others of the same species, so it isn't that unrealistic, anyways.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
ETA: Forgot about the 500th episode, for beeing a 500 episode it wa spretty weak, nothing happened with the characters.

Hey! A pun!

Coming from the guy whose whining that the animation in this episode WAS bad...

nd animation is one of the few things that I apreciate in the show nowadays

You whine about the color of the mountains and the bright colors all the time, and in an episode where they mix it up and give us some comparatively "dark" scenes you still whine.