• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Appetite for Battle! (818)

Janovy

Banned
Clemont's problem isn't that he is not brave enough, it's his low confidence and self-esteem. Surely Clemont is brave, but it is his low self-esteem that makes him feel like he has to live up to something or someone. This episode proves that. He thought Chespin hated him and was willing to leave Chespin with some random old lady if it meant that Chespin would be happy. He clearly doesn't think high of himself if he acts like that. He literally though Chespin would be better off with her than with him.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Clemont's problem isn't that he is not brave enough, it's his low confidence and self-esteem. Surely Clemont is brave, but it is his low self-esteem that makes him feel like he has to live up to something or someone. This episode proves that. He thought Chespin hated him and was willing to leave Chespin with some random old lady if it meant that Chespin would be happy. He clearly doesn't think high of himself if he acts like that. He literally though Chespin would be better off with her than with him.

A good basis for some character development later on in XY then.

Supersonicbro

I just watched the subs and......THE OLD GUY CALLED HIS WIFE FAT? Wow I legit got surprised by a pokemon episode. I don't think they've used jokes like that before.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer

I agree. I'm glad we finally have a secondary boy who isn't perfect and tries to get better and better with each go. This is good development for him later on in the future. This is why I hope for a quest for him since he does has low self-esteem and that something that can help him build it up faster would be also good.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Can anybody confirm if the old man actually forfeited or if they just stopped the battle. I know people are saying forfeit but I haven't seen a mod say it.

Supersonicbro

Can anybody confirm if the old man actually forfeited or if they just stopped the battle. I know people are saying forfeit but I haven't seen a mod say it.

well with the subs (which aren't 100%) he said that "I guess this is a loss for me" and his wife said "no let's just call it a draw"

Janovy

Banned
well with the subs (which aren't 100%) he said that "I guess this is a loss for me" and his wife said "no let's just call it a draw"
Those subs come from PM (Pocketmonsters) so they are 100% reliable, don't worry. ^^

phanpycross

God-king
I just watched the subs and......THE OLD GUY CALLED HIS WIFE FAT? Wow I legit got surprised by a pokemon episode. I don't think they've used jokes like that before.

Im pretty sure Chuck´s wife called him fat.

Anyway did anyone notice that Serena did the peptalk for Clemont, not Ash, But no she´s completely useless ?!?

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<

yes he forfeits in the battle, i watch this episode so i know every detail about it.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Here's what I thought of the dub version of this episode

PROS:
  • The dub dialogue was excellent
  • The voices for the old couple and the old man's name (Wiley) are great

CONS:
  • They replaced Clemont's face in the title screen with Ash
  • Too much dub music again (I know I shouldn't be griping about this but after seeing how the Spewpa and Sylveon episodes used more RAW music, I thought that they were going to finally have a perfect balance between the two. Guess I was wrong and I now have to start watching RAW episodes on mute again)

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not too bad of an episode, but not all that exciting until the end. Bonnie and Serena's camping scene together was too cute. I think it's common for kids these days, and in the past, to have played Pokemon charades. :p I love this group's chemistry.

The old couple was adorable, and I'm glad they weren't made to be cheesy or have a gag. It was nearly realistic, and the ending was awfully sweet.

Seeing Chespin grow into Overgrow was cool, but expected. Not too exciting visually since it's a color change from Blaze and Torrent. :p

I also wonder if Serena's Fennekin will end up evolving into a Delphox, after seeing Wylie's.

It did irk me that Ash was used for the title card this episode, when Clemont was used for the original. Ah well.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This episode almost grinds my gears but manages to finish in decent condition.

I think that the only times that Team Rocket should stop appearing is either:
(A) When they successfully hand Pikachu over to the boss or
(B) Get eaten by wild Ursarings or something
Otherwise it makes no sense for them not to be in pursuit of Pikachu. Yes, we have seen them a million times and yes, there is probably a reasonable explanation for the absence but their backstories have been built up way too much for the trio to be casually tossed into the waste bin without a darn good reason.

Getting back to current events, I guess this is the shows way of giving viewers some real world educational material. Like how it is not recommended to overeat food and if you happen to be on fire, you should stop drop and roll. I would say not bad overall.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
The ending was so weird. I thought it was leading into the next episode but no. Wiley kinda reminded me of Dr.Wiley from EXE

Was weird when he called her Grandma. I thought she was his grandma which would mean she was very old XD. Two eps about old people in a row. Japan must love the elderly XD

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Yeah I did find it weird that they referred to each other as Grandpa and Grandma. That greeting was awfully confusing. Would have been nice if we had gotten a name for the granny.

But I digress, old people are adorable. :p

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Wait. Was Ash wearing a larger version of the clothes he was seen wearing when he met Serena as little kids?

I thought the group was really going to think Chespin left Clemont because he disliked him. There were absolutely no hints about dislike whatsoever. It was just Chespin's big eater attitude... Anyway, Bonnie's first win!

That old couple was a little weird. The old man shouldn't even make poses...and to boot, Mystical Fire is weaker than Flamethrower.

thetamale

This episode made Delphox look cooler than it does in the games. The Pokedex really should say 'the evolved form of Braixen' but I supposed since it hasn't been in the anime yet.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This episode made Delphox look cooler than it does in the games. The Pokedex really should say 'the evolved form of Braixen' but I supposed since it hasn't been in the anime yet.

Makes me think that dex is far more human than it lets on if it ignores Braixen like that...

Or there's a flag in there that will mention Braixen once it's dexed.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Makes me think that dex is far more human than it lets on if it ignores Braixen like that...

Or there's a flag in there that will mention Braixen once it's dexed.

While that is an acceptable title to give Delphox, calling it the final evolution of Fennekin isn't incorrect as well.