• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Appetite for Battle! (818)

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
First of all I love Clement's inventions.

Secondly, the episode wasn't too bad. It was so sad to see Clement lose faith and automatically blame himself for Chespin's disappearance when it was in fact Chespin's gluttony. The elderly couple didn't really fit the episode for me but I thought the battle was well thought out with Chespin rolling to exercise, however, I was glad that Chespin didn't manage to defeat Delphox outright as he is a relatively new Chespin and I personally don't think he should have been able to defeat Delphox.

Good episode. On to the next one!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This episode was okay. I enjoyed seeing Delphox's debut(Now for Braixen).
I didn't like seeing Chespin lose to Bonnie though.

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. The old people were a bit funny, and the debut of Delphox was nice. The gang never thought of Chespin being very gluttony, especially with macarons. I guess it's obvious that macarons are Chespin's favorite food.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was just ok for me. Nothing about it really stood out for me unfortunately.

Lady Umbreon

Bonnie was just adorable in this episode. We've seen the hood before but I wasn't expecting full-blown Tyrantrum footie pajamas. And her tent is a giant Shellder wearing a bow. I don't think that girl could get any cuter.

Vernikova

Champion
If Clemont were able to monetize Chespin's workout routine, he'd be able ti fund his inventions for a lifetime.

Any-who, not really a stand out episode. I'd like to see the rabbit get some love, too. Fenekin's final evolution seems pretty cool, I guess. Hopefully Serena will get one.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
A fine episode. The old people were a bit funny, and the debut of Delphox was nice. The gang never thought of Chespin being very gluttony, especially with macarons. I guess it's obvious that macarons are Chespin's favorite food.

Well the gang should have got the hint when Chespin first debut. He ate the macarons that Serena had made in that same episode. :p

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
The Delphox sounds female so assuming that was the case I got a feeling old man Wily uses his Delphox for more than just battling.

zhixun

I love Citron's making the treadmill. The way the he is shown to be non athletic and assuming he has run the whole night is funny. I like his Eipam arm for blocking the fire attacks too. Literally Citron has run for a marathon in my opinion. Generally this episode is above average but not the best in XY.

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
Good episode overall. Like everyone said, I liked Clemont's invention too. But I was not happy that Ash and co didn't make much progress..

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes

NPT

Just a member
"An Appetite for Battle!"

So Clemont is the one who cooked for everyone? Well, there goes my hope for Serena being the cook of the group. Darn, I'm getting tired of every male companion cooking for the group in every generation. First Brock, then Cilan, and now Clemont. I don't get why the writers dosen't let a female protagonist to be the cook of the group? Oh well, at least Serena could bake Macarons for the group. It was nice of her to bring Macarons for the group, too bad Clemont's Chespin ate all of them and got totally stuffed. Fat Chespin's antics were really funny in this episode. The "diet battles" were quite entertaining. Froakie's battle with Chespin was fun to watch, but Bonnie battling Chespin with Dedenne was hilarious. LOL, Even though Bonnie didn't call out an attack... she still ended up winning the battle.

Clemont's new invention was amusing... but how did he expect Chespin to use that big treadmill?? I guess he just wanted to test it first and then make a smaller traadmill for Chespin. Like most of his inventions, this invention blew up as well.

Clemont's dilemma of trying to consider leaving Chespin with the old lady was quite interesting, and it showed that he still lacks confidence and needs the support of his friends (especially Ash's) to develop more.
With that being said, It's nice to see Clemont caring about Chespin's happiness before thinking about leaving it with Carrie. Also, it's awesome how he ran forward and blocked Delphox's Flamethrower with his Aipom Arm. Speaking of Delphox, I didn't think we'd get to see a fully-evolved Kalos starter Pokémon this early in the XY series.... but it's cool to see one in the anime nonetheless.

The battle between Chespin and Delphox was pretty good. Rolling around and dodging Delphox's attacks was a great idea, and it definitely helped Chespin lose some weight pretty fast. Because of all the rolling and dodging, Chespin was able move around pretty fast afterwards. While Chespin activating its Overgrow ability was cool. While it was cool to see Chespin activating its Overgrow ability, I'm glad the match ended in a draw. It's much better than the usual "pre-evolved Pokémon defeating fully-evolved Pokémon" plot. Even though the battle ended in a draw... it helped Chespin lose weight. Not to mention, the bond between Clemont and Chespin developed a bit as a result of the battle.

Aside from the bond between Clemont and Chespin, I liked the interactions between Bonnie and Serena in the beginning. And Serena learning to like camping outside was a nice character development for her. Overall, this episode was really good. I enjoyed watching it.

Dub-wise, this episode wasn't that good. The voice acting was fine, but they screwed up the title card again. Even though this episode was Clemont-centric, they replaced Clemont's face with Ash's face in the title card. Also, the amount of dub music disappointed me. After seeing how the English dub of XY012 and XY013 kept a decent amount of original music, I thought that the dubbers would keep a perfect balance between their dub music and original music in every episode.... but now it looks like they're won't do it anymore.

I think I like what Delphox looks like in the anime better than the games.
I don't know, but in the games, it's head always looked too small. In this episode, it looked a normal size.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
An Appetite for Battle! is a Clemont-centered episode. The young inventor has some Chespin troubles, as the little glutton has gotten into Serena's macarons again and appears to have put on quite a belly. Because of its bloated physique, Chespin loses a couple of battles to Froakie and Dedenne in embarrassing fashion (to Clemont's dismay). Seeing that Chespin needs to put off some pounds, Clemont is distracted while testing out an exercise invention and Chespin slips away in the night to try and track down the source of a tasty smell. Conflict arises when Clemont believes that Chespin left because he was too hard on it. The episode's high point arises when Clemont discovers Chespin enjoying a nice old lady's macarons, and seeing how happy it is he decides to leave Chespin with her. It is a mildly heart-wrenching scene that effectively illustrates Clemont's lack of confidence in himself. He is only able to step in when it appears that Chespin is in immediate danger, jumping in with his Aipom Arm to block a Flamethrower attack. Following this action, he is able to bond with Chespin through battling. By the episode's end, it is clear that Chespin trusts his trainer and Clemont comes to understand that Chespin really does like him. There were a couple of funny tidbits in the episode, too, like Serena's Swadloon impression and the old man's battle-ending back problem.

That's really all there is to say about this episode. The writers were totally focused on developing Clemont and Chespin's chemistry, while also exhibiting their individual character traits. Clemont clearly has a confidence issue--which he himself would probably acknowledge--so hopefully he will be able to overcome it as he continues on with his travels. I like this recent trend of fillers having emotional depth--it definitely makes for better episodes.

Grade: B-

*Frank*

Clemont IS a Gym Leader so I can see why he did that. It is for the sake of Chespin too, anyway.

JudySpell

Banned
Clemont deserved the attention so I can't complain about that but his Chespin getting fat was such a silly plot that I wish wasn't used. 6/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Okay episode. Chespin hasn't been as much my favorite as Oshawott was, but it's good to see a little character development here in him and Clemont growing closer as pokemon and trainer. The old couple was great too. ^_^ Interesting that in this region Ash has *two* people who can cook, that's different.

6/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Clemont's Chespin getting fat cuz of him eating Serena's macarons were funny and I liked when Dedenne defeated him. Chespin vs Delphox seemed kind of unfair at first, but I laughed when the old guy hurt his back. :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode served as character development for Citron's Harimaron somewhat, in that his overindulgence in food was brought up with severe consequences. Unfortunately, he didn't change in a permanent way, and other than just revealing his Ability, he really should have also evolved against Grampa's Mafoxy.