• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

An Elite Coverup! (638)

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Found the post:

Look at the picture and you can see that Iwane posted this in early November. This makes the gap roughly ~6 months.

Anyhow, Iwane sure did a great job. The animation in the battle was made up of sheer awesomeness. A shame though that the writers devoted more screentime to a generic TR plot than to an Elite Four battle.

Wow, haven't checked this thread in a couple of weeks, I didn't realise someone had found this. Thanks Durden, this is really interesting :)

That basically tells us that they're already making the first episodes of Gen V, and that they know how and what probably most of the new pokemon look like! :O

What's even better Loc (I can call you Loc right? XD) is that this is only for the animation. This means that the script for like the 3rd Gym, or somewhere thereabouts, is probably being written right now :D

STICKTOPIA

Even though Ash lost against Bertha, he was smart when Hippowdon used Dig the 2nd time. I wonder if Leaf Storm gets weaker like it does in the games. I can't believe they actually aired all 4 elite 4 members and the champion!

Animefan145

Yeah, I'm still surprised that they actually had all four Sinnoh Elite Four trainers show up in their home region (compared to Kanto which took something like 10 years?, and don't think any of the other regions even came close), although it helped that Flint showed up in the game early, but a few years ago I didn't expect the three other members to show up too.

Oh well, Ash lost, but that's no surprise, and at least it wasn't completely one-sided like it was against Flint. Not to mention its awesome seeing Torterra clash with another big Pokemon- its fun seeing Ash using a massive, evolved Pokemon for once (not even Charizard was like this, with how it was flying dragon more than a tank like Torterra). Seeing all the Elite Four members almost make me hope for rematches against them after the League, though I seriously doubt that'll happen, but still, glad the Sinnoh arc finished showing those major figures before the end.

It would have been a great episode to use the "energy ball boost" to impress the Elite Four.The episode was great, introducing a new type of battle technique. I liked how Ash observed the rocks to locate the Hippo. These techniques really bring the battles alive as they give a sense of how it would be in the real. Furthermore, the power armor was a great addition. Thinking of Mewtwo, I could not stop laughing. I wonder if they would continue to use the armor variations.

However, I was little frustrated by Bertha's comment after the battle. I remember it was something similar to "So, this is about what I should expect from a trainer with 7 badges." It is a pretty humiliating remark for Ash as he has...how many badges now? I'm not sure if it was Ash's (or of Torterra's) fault of being weak or Bertha's fault of lacking those instinctive perception, or the "observation," as she likes to put it, but I was shocked to hear it. I don't expect Ash to be treated as a master trainer, but I don't want him to be treated in such underrated way.

Last edited:

KGB13

Man of Mystery
The beginning where the kid got his Magby stolen by TR, I didn't really care for, but the Bertha vs Ash battle is what made this episode. Even though Ash lost, I still see that he's paying more attention to types now and is noticing things in battle that he never has before, which is making him a better trainer. Good episode.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Awesome episode. Bertha was amazing to see, and how she's different about her Elite Four title. The windmill part was so tricky, I couldnt figure out what Windmill Team Rocket was in... Bertha's Gliscor, Golem and Hipowdon were all pretty neat as well, no doubt her Gliscor reminds me of Ash's in training.

And Ash "I'm an Observer... I'm doing it!" Ash you're so silly.

Torpoleon

This episode was great. It was nice to see Bertha not like being called an Elite Four actually. Great to see some Johto Promotion with Ronald having a Magby. I figured the Windmill part out kind of quickly.

Seeing three of Bertha's Pokémon was awesome. Too bad that Torterra lost, although it did great!
10/10

Dattebayo

Banned
Bertha didn't turned out the way I imagined her to act like; I excepted her to have a nice personality like her game counterpart. I do like her advice on observation since it's similar to seeing how much your Pokemon's HP has left. Looks like it's been confirmed that the writers are using her Platinum team due to Gliscor.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
This was a pretty good episode, and it's honestly left me liking Bertha more then I did before. The battle was the best part of the episode by far, even though it was an (expected) loss for Ash, it was well put together (and this is my third or fourth time watching that battle).

I have to say though, this is the first time I've actually felt disappointed by Ash and Co.'s lack of deductive skills. When you have someone there that can actually see through Team Rocket after never even hearing of them before, it really makes the ones who deal with them all the time seem kind of... dim.

Candy-Sama

Kawaii Power
And so begins Torterra's losing streak...

Overall, it was a good episode; I'm glad we got to see more than one of Bertha's Pokemon, the battle was great (but Ash's "I'm an observer" was kind of strange) and we got to hear the legendary Bertha say "I am not amused". Best part of the episode.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was great. Liked Meowth's idea of using Magby as a lighter for Giovanni. Never gets old. Also enjoyed the battle between Ash and Bertha.

SmartD

It was a great episode. We see Bertha and her great battle skills. Torterra tried to beat Hippowdon and lost, but it did its best. Also, all of the Sinnoh Elite Four appeared in the same series. That's really neat.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
"I'm an observer...I'm doing it!"-Highlight of the episode.

Hippowdon vs Torterra was really great. It's always fun to see too tank Pokemon clash and it's even better when one of the tank Pokemon belongs to Ash. It's great that Torterra still has its speed. That sets it apart from Paul's Torterra. Torterra managed to get one hit on Bertha's Hippowdon. He did better in this battle than he did against Flint. All Sinnoh Elite 4 were shown. Great.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
First of all: Hooray I finally arrived in LA!

As for the episode itself:
Elite Four episodes have always been my favorite ones and this one was no different! Bertha is an fantastic character and a worthy Elite Four member.

It's good that the battle was so short, otherwise I would have complained that Ash was able to stand his ground so long against a member of the Elite Four. The battle was just great as it was. I especially liked the scene where Bertha was covered by the dust and was speaking as if she was an invisible ghost. This was both mysterious and impressive alike! I love it whenever mystery and action is combined in Pokemon. Great job!

All in all, a great episode
8 of 10 points

pokemonloverXD

Ash's fangirl
Cool ep, Bertha was awesome! Although Torterra lost that battle, it did put up a great battle. So overall 8/10

Rebeccag

Yeah i would have complained too if Ash had bat Bertha her being a member of the elite 4 and all. liked how she didnt like being called a member of the elite four as well and laughed how Brock remembered her, Ashs battle was good at least it wasnt one sided like Flint and all four members were shown again. Team Rpcket also made me laugh in this episode as well Meouth using Magby as a firelighter was quite clever. Oh and like Roland I want a pikachu as well

BlueMage

Terrific episode all-around. Probably my favorite of the Elite Four eps, too. Bertha was characterized extremely well, and the dubbers gave her a perfect voice. Overall, an action-packed episode with lots of battling and other cool stuff.