1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

An Island Kahuna is Born! Ash's Grand Trial!! (1052)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Legends' started by Serebii, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

[​IMG]
    An Island Kahuna is Born! Ash's Grand Trial!!

Following her standing up to Tapu Fini, Hapu has finally become the Island Kahuna of Poni Island. As he's there on the island to find the Kahuna, Ash challenges her to her Grand Trial. Her trial requires Ash to battle her with just one Pokémon. With Hapu using her Mudsdale, Ash faces a tough battle. Will he be able to win the Grand Trial and finish his research project?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

2. Infernous

Infernous New Member

Since Ash got the Steelium-Z, I think this pretty much confirms that Ash is either catching Meltan or catching a Steel-type Pokemon at the very least. I'm hoping Nebby and/or Naganadel will be back for the League.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  3. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Nebby?
    I really doubt that Ash is going to use a Legendary for the League. Let alone one that he didn't even train, just babysitted.

4. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Good lord that battle was stupid.

2/10 pointless battle to get the Steelium z.

Apparently I watched an edited version that didn't include the z move but even then, still lame and the score remains the same.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    lemoncatpower and KenzeyEevee like this.
  5. It was quite bad. But why showing a Z-move in the preview then? And they spent more then 10 minutes talking before doing the trial.

6. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

...What? He tricked her Banbadoro into splashing itself with water (thus allowing Electric moves to hit it, which, y'know, basically equates to him improvising the move Soak without technically having it) and then finished the battle with a Sparking Gigavolt.

Personally, I'm not bothered by this plan. It's kinda far-fetched but there is some justification there. That said, the fact that he apparently thought it up on the fly mid-battle is rather irksome. So what, he just picked the worst possible battle Pokémon and went in without a plan to make up for his staggering disadvantage? There's using risky strategies and then there's just being outright stupid, Satoshi...

7. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

to be fair th quality of fights in this series is just not good as some other series. Anyways he got a steelium z which pretty much confirms that he is gonna catch a steel type pretty soon and meltan is prime candidate for that.

8. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

*yawn*

Worst Grand Trial, probably on par with Roxie if not worse for the final challenge Ash must face before the League.
    The battle should have been longer(*cough* two parter if they want to waste that much time with talking) and should have used more than one Pokemon each. Why is it that the further Ash progressed in the trials the less Pokemon he uses? It should be the other way around! We've yet to see Pikachu, Torracat, Rowlet, and Lycanroc fight in the same battle.... and poor Torracat didn't get a single Grand Trial to his name....

9. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

My reaction of watching the comments after this episode:

[​IMG]

10. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Ignoring how bad the battle was, since apparently Ash cheated.......oh sorry the writers decided to purely use ANIME only mechanics to allow Ash to win this battle.

Can we talk about how cool it is, that apparently (based on the images), Ash (or Pikachu) was allowed to actually choose a Z-crystal for winning. That I think was at least the best part of the episode, that I could see.

Anime mechanics or not, there should've been NO WAY that would've worked.

Why?

Water/ground type Pokemon EXIST. There's no reason to believe that a Pokemon "naturally soaked" would've somehow overridden an existing type.

There is a reason why "Soak" is a Pokemon move, or in fact in reference to an ability. It makes sense for a Pokemon move to temporarily override a Pokemon's type, since the entire "soak" move is about oversaturating the Pokemon with water so it becomes the water type.

Don't think it's "fair" to argue a ground type taking a swim qualifies it as a water type and therefore weak against electricity.

Especially with a Pokemon like Stunfisk, which has to SPECIFICALLY use camoflauge to actually change its type.

This, is just a stupid justification for a stupid outcome for a stupid battle, because they either didn't want to give Pikachu Splishy Splash and because they insist on shoving Pikachu down the viewer's throats as per usual, but not in any meaningful way, you know like it's specialized Z-move, what we can't get a story about that? We have to deal with it being used constantly with no reason then they have nothing better to write about.

It's getting annoying, and I only tolerated it SOLELY because of its exclusive Z-move, because I thought it was REALLY neat that only Ash's Pikachu can use its exclusive Z-move, as it was made just for them. Instead we get Gigavolt Havoc after another, and just unnecessary Pikachu focus for no reason other than because the writers are incapable of writing for the other Pokemon (possibly), or they just care (which I'm leaning towards to, given how the series has been portrayed as a whole).

So I take it Nanu is Ash's best Grand Trial, maybe tied with Olivia? Because this wasn't even anything but a random episode, where Ash gets a steel type z-crystal.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    LilligantLewis and KenzeyEevee like this.
  11. DuquÊ?

DuquÊ? Too lazy to pick a pic

First rule of Pokemon: Don't have high expectatives.

Far to be good, but not so distant of old tricks Ash used when in type disadvantage. I'd give some credit for make electro web versatile enough to allow that safe. But, considering all, Nanu's GT was a better final fight than this one.

So, according to the extra scenes, Hapu have a thing for Ash now. Oh, Lord, damn tsunderes...

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  12. Serena be triggered

13. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Congrats, Olivia. You are now the only Kahuna to give Ash the proper Z-Crystal.

Oh hey, Pikachu didn't learn Splishy Splash. Glad to see Electroweb is here to stay. And it was used creatively again to stop Pikachu from falling. Why couldn't they have given this move to him earlier? Sure blows Electro Ball out of the water, that's for sure.

How dare the writers not limit themselves to how the games work. At least this time it was natural water instead of a sprinkler.

14. Let us be honest:this is the prove that SM isnt a battle-orientated series.
    And it is funny how Ash keeps attracting girls and he never notice it.

15. NegaiFreak

NegaiFreak Plus Ultra!

We knew Ash was going to win, but I didn't think it'd end up being this out of left field. I mean, learning Splishy Splash or Floaty Fall (God, those moves still sound stupid...) mid-battle would've been less of a flub in the story than just soaking Mudsdale and attacking him with Electric moves. That sounds... ridiculously stupid. On top of that, why not use Breakneck Blitz? At least you can actually hit Mudsdale in game with it, even if it wouldn't have done anything because of Stamina.

Huh... So... bad episode, I guess. Wait, what else is there? *notices the comments about Hapu crushing on Ash* O_O

Oh god, not again...

16. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

I don’t know how to feel about the way Ash won. At least he finally got a new Z Crystal since Nanu’s Trial

17. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

Well, that's that, I suppose. The episode went exactly how everyone predicted it would go and did not want it to go. (It's kind of hilarious, actually.)

Personally, I'm...fine with it. It wasn't the most exciting or well-animated battle in the world, but at least the anime's sticking to its own rules. Whether we like it or not, it's already been established that in the anime, soaking a Ground-type with water means they can be shocked. The logic behind it may be contradictory to the games, but that's the logic they've chosen to go with, and the fact that they're keeping in line with that makes me...a little miffed, but mostly proud. (And yes, I know I'm in the minority here, but I frankly don't care.)

Also, seeing Hapu's glare from the games was awesome.

18. Not to mention that they roughly spent 10 minutes at the battle. They didnt even do effort to switch the groundium-Z for another one.
    Oh yes there we go again :p

I least expected since there arent many battles in SM, the battles we got are good. God I am interested in the league now

19. Sham

Sham Aang could never

Remind me again why Rowlet wasn’t used?
    That battle was just yikes.... and it wasn’t even due to Ash “cheating”. It was in every sense anticlimactic.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  20. Yeah, sadly that is true